• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever: May 3 in NA, May 6 elsewhere [Trailer Added]

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Wow. I was afraid there'd be a lot of gaps and the game would be short due to the truncated development time, but 16 hours? Sweet Jesus!

I'm torn right now over which version I should get... 360 or PC

Hylian7

DopeyFish said:
Wow. I was afraid there'd be a lot of gaps and the game would be short due to the truncated development time, but 16 hours? Sweet Jesus!

PC!!!! You should always play Duke on PC!

clip said:
DNF is completely immune to criticism. If you like games at all, you need to at least be able to appreciate its history and give it a shot.
I agree but some people just like being contrary and negative, even when faced with what is likely the gaming event of the decade. I just ignore them.

Damn if those clips are representative of what the final game will be, and with a length of 16/17h...it'll be SO awesome.
At first I thought that I would only buy it to say "I got DNF" even if it was not good at all...but it seems like it's going to be a really great game :D

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
~Kinggi~ said:
Pretty badass if true.

A GAFfer who works for Gearbox was telling me (off the cuff, not as part of a PR statement) a few days ago that, having played the game from start to end, it's "much longer than most current FPS games". Not sure if 16 hours is true or an exaggeration but I get the impression it'll be meaty.

Actually if you go back and play Duke 3d and/or Blood and/or other contemporary games, they're all quite a bit longer than current gen stuff!

Will modern gamers be able to cope with a 16 hour singleplayer campaign in an FPS?

Naah. I have a feeling public opinion on DNF and Bulletstorm is gonna be very unfavorable. Oh well it's still a fucking sick year for me.

rezuth

I thought it was originally just going to be 7h long according to the game design documents? Did they add new content?

Solo

DopeyFish said:

Its a PC franchise. The answer is clear.

Backfoggen said:
Yeah, there wasn't even a console version when Gearbox took over.

Are we sure of that? I was under the impression that 3DRealms was always working on colsole ports at least since the beginning of 2000. Granted I have no clue what that means in terms of assets or how far along they were.

Shiggy

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Are we sure of that? I was under the impression that 3DRealms was always working on colsole ports at least since the beginning of 2000. Granted I have no clue what that means in terms of assets or how far along they were.

Gearbox helped finishing the 360 version - it was already started at Triptych (and also at 3DRealms); a PS3 version was only started when Gearbox helped out.

Stumpokapow said:
A GAFfer who works for Gearbox was telling me (off the cuff, not as part of a PR statement) a few days ago that, having played the game from start to end, it's "much longer than most current FPS games". Not sure if 16 hours is true or an exaggeration but I get the impression it'll be meaty.

Actually if you go back and play Duke 3d and/or Blood and/or other contemporary games, they're all quite a bit longer than current gen stuff!

Yeah, I mean how long was Deus Ex 1? Couple of years later, but that game was long...and amazing.

Shiggy said:
Gearbox helped finishing the 360 version - it was already started at Triptych (and also at 3DRealms); a PS3 version was only started when Gearbox helped out.

Interesting...yet because I'm lazy I'm still getting the PS3 version.

Unrelated question what engines have been used on this project and what ones are in the final game?

Solo

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
Unrelated question what engines have been used on this project and what ones are in the final game?

Quake
Quake 2
Unreal

Thats the previous iterations....not sure what this final one is using.

derFeef

Solo said:
Quake
Quake 2
Unreal

Thats the previous iterations....not sure what this final one is using.
Wasn´t Source in the talks as well? I think the game we are getting is running on a heavily modified UE2 engine, at least I read that somewhere.

edit: ah, see post below. So confusing and so many engines.

Really hope theres co-op they dont even need to make a differnt character just throw in 2 dukes like duke 3d. Either way I know the game is gonna be great from start to end. I wonder if George Broussard feels the game is finished and what he imagined it to be. From what ive been reading he kept telling take two that the game will ship when its finished.

Rainier

jaundicejuice said:
The only shooter worth playing this year that isn't TF2.
And as a bonus, the multiplayer should be good as the 13 - 20 year olds will mostly be playing Bulletstorm. I anticipate an older crowd playing online, where my slow-ass reflexes might stand a chance.

Teknoman

James Woods said:
This looks like a prettier version of Prey but I don't think the IDtech could handle the outdoor segments so I dunno.

Quake 4 had some pretty big outdoor segments.

Hopefully the weapons in both DNF and Bulletstorm sound and feel powerful. Serious Sam had some nice weapons, but the impacts never felt...chunky enough if that makes any sense.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Kuran said:
Speaking of graphics, I'm actually kind of sad we won't be getting to play the build that was shown in the 2001 trailer. I think it was using the Unreal Tournament engine at that time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHU3sq8Wfjs

I always thought that was a 10/10 trailer.. I watched it so many times. I wish someone out there would leak the early versions of this game.

I watch this and I'm sad. Epic and ambitious. This is what I wanted to play.
Why isn't there half of what I see here in the 2011 trailer ? I don't understand. Am I expected to not feel robbed because of profanity, boobs and a pee joke ?
Also, the old game looked a hundred times better visually, even on a modified Quake 2 engine. So sad.

16 hours D: , day 1!!!!!!!!

awesome trailer

Its a slim chance but i wish Duke 3D was included, i loved that game, the shrink ray lol

can't wait to play this

If that 16 hours comment is true, and this game holds up all the way through :O

I can't believe I'm anticipating DUKE NUKEM FOREVER in 2011. I honestly never thought this day was ever coming.

eshwaaz

snoopers said:
I watch this and I'm sad. Epic and ambitious. This is what I wanted to play.
Why isn't there half of what I see here in the 2011 trailer ? I don't understand. Am I expected to not feel robbed because of profanity, boobs and a pee joke ?
Also, the old game looked a hundred times better visually, even on a modified Quake 2 engine. So sad.

Aside from the "old game looked a hundred times better visually" comment, I agree. The 2001 trailer still feels like it's preparing you for something truly exciting and relevant; a bona fide gaming event. The new trailer is bland and forgettable by comparison. As you said, "profanity, boobs and a pee joke" do nothing to satisfy. Show me some meaty combat, show me some impressive environments, show me some hint of the creativity, diversity and interactivity that Duke 3D had - then maybe I'll be excited.

If Duke 3D had been only about boobs and profanity as the new trailer leads you to believe, it would never have been the hit that it was. To say that that's primarily what made Duke 3D successful and memorable is selling that game incredibly short.

plasmasd

Net_Wrecker said:
I can't believe I'm anticipating DUKE NUKEM FOREVER in 2011. I honestly never thought this day was ever coming.

I seriously am going to keep this game out of my mind until I see it on store shelfs. I was seriously playing the just released MGS on the PSX when I first heard about it in 98. LOL

I am genuinely excited about Duke Nukem Forever..

The trailer shows me everything Duke is known for as a character.. and I have no doubt that the game will be fun. It may not have been worth the 12 year wait, but I'll be proud to own a piece of gaming history.

Wilsongt

I think it's time for an update of the "Things that have happened since the announcement of Duke Nukem Forever" list...

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
jaundicejuice said:
The only shooter worth playing this year that isn't TF2.

I don't understand how you could legitimately be excited for Duke Nukem Forever and not be excited for Bulletstorm.

Top Bottom