• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duke Nukem Forever new Screenshots

Aaron

I think this is going to look sweet on the PC, so I'm good. Unless it's splitscreen co-op, then I'll be console-fied.

Spwn

DevelopmentArrested said:
in 2004 maybe.

I guess at this point it goes without saying that my gaming hardware is pretty ancient. :lol
But it doesn't look ugly by any means.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Darklord said:
You know it's not Crysis but it's not bad at all.

For me, when I call it hideous it's more about the art than the tech. Everything is so ugly and vomit colored.

Shiggy

DevelopmentArrested said:
in 2004 maybe.

Nope.
perfect-dark-zero-20051007044239984.jpg

perfect-dark-zero-20051007044240593.jpg

VAIL

Due to the fact I'm not a nitpicking graphics whore, and I am dying for a fun throw back game, I'll be getting this day one...

I have a feeling this tread will turn into it's own Operation: Cockblock though...

I don't mind the graphics, but if the framerate sucks too (as one of the impressions mentioned), that's a bummer.

I'll play it for some laughs and to get closure on a piece of gaming history, but I ain't paying 60 bucks for it. I await the bomba.

This looks to be perhaps the most incredible game of all time.

EmCeeGramr said:
Ugh. Not every game needs a feature where you slow down your movement and aiming speed to shoot more accurately.
IGN criticised lack of iron sights in Duke Nukem? Jesus Christ.

Also according to them, innovation=scripted sequences.

I wonder who wrote this preview, if I were a betting man I'd blame Gies.

If there was ever a game that needs a making-of DVD, this is it. I would buy an overpriced special edition of the game if it came with that.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Parallax Scroll said:
If there was ever a game that needs a making-of DVD, this is it. I would buy an overpriced special edition of the game if it came with that.

6 disc set

i know i'm showing my age by saying this, but do you know what game wasn't cutting edge and was technically dated at launch?

Duke Nukem
ThreeD

yeah there were times where this game without a release date had footage that looked to be beyond any other title at the time, but if you were still expecting that after the events of the last couple of years, you weren't really paying attention.

big black woman said:
maybe they should delay this one

:lol

Are performance issues really that big of a deal with 2 months of dev/tweaking time available? If it were a review, sure, but this is a preview. Not saying it might not happen, but I'll wait for the reviews to say it's choppy.

This is the kind of game that I have to check myself for getting too hyped. In all likelihood we will get another game in the vein of matt hazard aka, antiquated but on purpose. Probably pick it up when its around 30 bucks or so.

Sciz

The gist I get from those writeups is that Duke Nukem still plays like Duke Nukem. The fact that some of them are bemoaning that really makes me weep for the state of the industry.

(._.)

Banned
Sn4ke_911 said:
in 2011 the gaming press imo is at an all time low

this game will be so good (hopefully) for completely nailing and reiterating in its own way we love playing games.

EDIT: just read some more comments in this thread and its funny how fickle some GAF members are. KZ3 comes out soon, lmao.

Seda

From Kotaku's preview (yeah yeah...)

But what really hooks me is how the game's silly premise, over-the-top character, absurd one-liners and jokes, start to make me act just as silly in the game.

For instance, I find myself muttering my own stupid one-liners when I take out a group of pig aliens. I inexplicably take great joy in tossing trash cans at the general when he finally stops by to admit his mistake. Not one or two times, but throughout his speech. Trash can to the face. Trash can to the face. Trash can to the face. I don't even mind that he doesn't seem to notice.

I giggle a lot, mostly to myself, at the humor which has somehow unlocked some inner... man-child I didn't even know existed.

By the time I get to the game's final demo level, Vegas in Ruin, I am thoroughly enjoying myself, no longer worrying about the lack of character depth, sensible story or a single map not turned into a rat maze of absurdly placed debris.

I laugh, genuinely laugh, at the Halo joke.

And when my time with Duke Nukem ends with a scene involving testicular punches, I genuinely wish I could keep playing.

This is why I want to play it

Xater

The_Technomancer said:
I honestly don't care that much about the graphics. The hands on impressions sound great, and that's what matters to me.

I don#t care about the graphics either but performance issues are kind of a big deal to me. This game should run without a hitch.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Looks good enough for me.
Actually, I don't give a flying fuck about how it looks.
It just needs to:
1. come out
2. be badass
And it looks like both points are a check.

Sciz said:
The gist I get from those writeups is that Duke Nukem still plays like Duke Nukem. The fact that some of them are bemoaning that really makes me weep for the state of the industry.
I really hope it's mostly people too young to remember the Duke.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I don't follow modern shooter design much. Outside of the graphics, what about the DNF gameplay do previewers seem to be deriding as poor/out of date?

I say this as someone who's primary shooter experience is Metroid Prime and the Orange Box.

That IGN preview is hilarious. Duke Nukem without set pieces is just one boring alien fight after another?

Corridor shooter much? Fuck.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
The_Technomancer said:
So I don't follow modern shooter design much. Outside of the graphics, what about the DNF gameplay do previewers seem to be deriding as poor/out of date?
Not enough beards.

It's almost if I can see the negative reviews now. The previews don't seem all that favorable toward the game. It's as if they forgot this game was in development hell for 13 years and would retain a lot of features of PC FPS from yesteryear.

Zeliard

IGN said:
And as a reminder of how dated shooting scenes like this are, when I used zoom to target an alien that came to a brief pause above me, no ironsights appeared whatsoever. The camera just zoomed in a little. How useful is that? The reason almost every shooter now uses ironsights is because it genuinely helps line up a good shot. That's a perfect example of a strange exclusion of post-1997 innovations.

God I hate the mainstream games media so much. Why are they so terrible?

The_Technomancer said:

I say this as someone who's primary shooter experience is Metroid Prime and the Orange Box.
Not enough dudes hiding behind walls, throwing grenades and smoke to make your vision go blurry and cover your eyes in strawberry jam, no iron sights or grenade button, no walking up to a room, peeking out behind cover, and getting headshots.

DNF might be a bit disappointing or underwhelming after 14 years of development time (just a hunch!), but it's a real pet peeve of mine when people think of advancement, evolution, progress, whatever you want to call it, as a linear, constantly "upgrading" path set for a predetermined goal. Radiation of genres, subgenres, and gameplay styles within those is a good thing, and one that should be applauded as long as it finds and maintains its niche. Should be condemn the fish for not walking on land, or the cockroach for no internal skeleton, or the chimpanzee for not being a human?

IGN Preview
Well, I think summing up isn't allowed, but everyone should read this article. The lead developer is quoted as moving away from big set pieces of CoD and Halo, and the reviewer really doesn't like the fact that there aren't iron sights.

May is going to be rough with this and LA Noire. Edit: Though some of it sounds iffy to me, but not as crazy as finding all the goddamn water dispensing units in a level for free health.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
thehillissilent said:
It's almost if I can see the negative reviews now. The previews don't seem all that favorable toward the game. It's as if they forgot this game was in development hell for 13 years and would retain a lot of features of PC FPS from yesteryear.
So this game gets a pass on being dated just because of its development process?

Top Bottom