• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dumbest Game Studio Names?

SDSGlen

Neo Member
10 years ago I worked for a Melbourne company called just Thatgame (not thatgamecompany), it merged with IR Gurus and later renamed to Transmission Games.

All bad names

Ruff

Midgar Studio

Just because it tries too hard to ape Final Fantasy

jq8jYS2.png

What? It's clearly taken from Midgard, the human world on the world tree. (Which you can see in the logo). I wouldn't say it was trying too hard for anything.

Zolo

High Voltage because everyone who touches them gets burned.

Or just us end users...

You should look up their old logo. It's a masterwork.

I played Crash back in the old days, so just like the user above, I also imagine 'Last of Us' being introduced with the Crash credits of the old days. XD

I actually don't mind the company name that much, but it's still funny to see with their new games like 'Last of Us'. I'll genuinely be surprised if it doesn't change in the next few years though.

Birdman15

Banned
Bungie
Riot Games
343 Studios
Capcom
TurtleRock
From Software
Microsoft
Valve
Treyarch And Infinity Ward
Sledgehammer

Pretty much every name is stupid. The worst are Japanese studios that use random English/Engrish like From Software. I always laugh when I here studio names from Japan that use random English

For character names and similar, sure, but I think businesses are different, especially with this specific instance. Yacht Club Games is another case where it seems pretentious, but at least they have admitted on numerous occasions to it being an ironic name.

If it's a big, corporate business, I'd agree with you. But these small Indie companies are generally a small group of people with some specific tastes. They tend to just name things whatever they think is neat, just like a garage band or something.

What? It's clearly taken from Midgard, the human world on the world tree. (Which you can see in the logo). I wouldn't say it was trying too hard for anything.

Well, their game tries to ape FF pretty hard. If it's taken from Midgard, why not call it Midgard? Why call it something that just so happen to be an iconic city from an FF game? I feel like the logo is a misdirection more than anything.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Pretty sure Ubisoft is Ubiquitous Software like Sega is Service Games.

My noms are Black Tusk and Naughty Dog. From Software is stupid too.

Regiruler

I get the irony, but Yacht Club Games does sound fairly stupid

Some more:
Drinkbox
Fuzzy Wuzzy Games
Any studio with "ninja" in it
Gaijin Games

Best: Blizzard

What's wrong with Capcom? Like a few of the company names mentioned in this thread, it has a meaning behind it. To quote Wikipedia:

"The name Capcom is a portmanteau of "Capsule Computers", a term coined by the company to describe the arcade machines it solely manufactured in its early years, designed to set themselves apart from personal computers that were becoming widespread at that time.[12] The word capsule alludes to how Capcom likened its game software to "a capsule packed to the brim with gaming fun", as well as to the company's desire to protect its intellectual property with a hard outer shell, preventing illegal copies and inferior imitations."

You're certainly free to dislike the names, and this goes for everyone in the thread, but sometimes there's an explanation for them which allows them to make more sense.

I've always really disliked the name Naughty Dog, but I so strongly associate it with the world class devs who use it, I no longer notice. Naughty Dog could make any name sound good to me.

Moza

Fairly bad ones around but the only downright stupid one I can think of is 'From Software'.

'Bloodborne from From....'
'From's next title is......'
'developed by From...'
'software from From Software'

Birdman15

Banned
What's wrong with Capcom? Like a few of the company names mentioned in this thread, it has a meaning behind it. To quote Wikipedia:

You're certainly free to dislike the names, and this goes for everyone in the thread, but sometimes there's an explanation for them which allows them to make more sense.

I don't mean to offend or be rude, but everything could be explained like that. I could name a company Ass Cheek Software and explain that it means Assamese Cheektowaga Software.

I don't mean to offend or be rude, but everything could be explained like that. I could name a company Ass Cheek Software and explain that it means Assamese Cheektowaga Software.

No worries, Birdman. My point was that what may seem odd or make no sense at first glance, such as CD Projekt Red, may actually make sense when looking at its origin or the context for which the name was born.

Zodzilla

Alright youngin's, move over with your "From Software's" and "Naughty Dog's" as I present to you:

CRACK DOT COM

fine game makers of the Aliens and Predator IP ripoff classic, Abuse.

abuse was actually a fucking awesome game.

SirNinja

From Software is the Slashdot of studio names. I kind of hate it and like it, because people still often fall into their awkward-double-preposition trap, writing about their works as "from From", developed "by From", or describing a person who works "at From".

Top Bottom