• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dumbest Game Studio Names?

ughhh
I thought it was pretty obvious that I meant it wasn't a fact that they were being pretentious ( the supposed pretentiousness is what you were offended at) by using that name. And for the last time, just because you keep on saying it doesn't make it true.
Nothing else to say here, this is going in circles

Just because you keep saying it's not doesn't make it not true. You haven't adequately explained how using a pretentious name isn't pretentious behavior. There's literally no way for them to live up to their name because it's apples to oranges. They just picked it because some people consider it beautiful. That is pretentious. There's no way you can disagree with that unless you have a drastic misunderstanding of the definition of pretentiousness.

Just because you keep saying it's not doesn't make it not true. You haven't adequately explained how using a pretentious name isn't pretentious behavior. There's literally no way for them to live up to their name because it's apples to oranges. They just picked it because some people consider it beautiful. That is pretentious.

Uh I have explained it, several times now. They used the name because it is pleasing to the ear. Are all companies that have names pleasing to the ear pretentious now?

That makes absolutely no sense to me.
What about company logos? Are they pretentious if they are visually appealing and that is the only purpose of the logo?

Because it has no bearing on who they are as a studio or the kind of work they do. It's literally only an appeal to people's predisposition towards the words.

Sucker Punch wants their games to be as hard-hitting as a sucker punch. Epic wants their games to be epic. Platinum wants their games to be platinum quality. These are achievable things. But what does Cellar Door want? Naughty Dog wanted you to think of a couple of lowly guys making games. Insomniac wants you to think about people too excited about the game to go to sleep. But what does Cellar Door want you to think about?

They just want you to think about musty professors who in their esteem have deemed cellar door the most beautiful word pairing that exists. If you don't see how fucking pretentious that is then I have nothing more to say.

Honestly, the worst ones from this thread are Thatgamecompany and Gamecock.

But then I don't the know context of why either was chosen as a monicker. Half the time, you're looking for something snappy, isn't already taken, that is available to trademark, has a .com available and also hasn't already been claimed on twitter, facebook, instagram of whatever.

I don't get the Naughty Dog name hate either. Why should the name reflect the type of game they make?
apart from tencent.
otherwise every F2P studio would all be called something like ca$hgrab before the bubble bursts,

Kojima productions doesn't exactly say "stealth game poorly mixing gritty reality with anime-inspired absurdities with ponderous and pretentious story telling that is also amazing to play."

Infinity Ward doesn't scream "It's exactly like the Simpsons."

Rockstar North doesn't sound like "Murica: the Game."

etcetera.

opinions are like assholes. I have one of each.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
CD Projekt RED
CD Projekt RED
Straight outta the 90s that one.

They were the first(or one of the first) to import CD-Roms into poland.
Projekt can be translated into Project, Plan or even proposal....so they were a company that had a plan to import CDs, or their Project was to bring in CDs thus the name CD Projekt...RED is a nice color and is pretty prominent on the Polish flag
yogxx6D.gif

Thatgamecompany

Ughhh this has to take the cake, i cant think of a worse name.

Any studio name that has the name of a city in it. Really generic and if you decide to move then your studio name doesn't even work anymore.

Come on EARS(Electronic Arts Redwood Shores) was such a cool name, much better than their new name: Visceral Games.
^Now thats some generic shit.

Square Enix. I still can't get used to it. Squaresoft had a better ring to it.
Square was a terrible name.....The Square Company? I always laughed whenever i saw the name listed...SquareSoft was better but still silly....Maybe They should have kept the Enix Corporation name.

SEGA Games.
There is no Sega Games.....its just Sega because Sega used to be short for Service Games.

Turn 10. Like what is that? a kid turning 10 ?

No like in Racing(They are a racing studio).
I thought everyone who knew about Turn 10 studios got this?

On Topic
I love these guy, i used to hate their name till i got more details from them about their studio.
kYVTZDk.jpg

gelf

This thread just tells me I don't really hate any studio names. I guess the ones just named after the place they work are pretty dull.

You have bad taste or didn't read the whole thread if true.

well like I said before I didn't get Cherry Pop right away, and gamecock I guess is pretty bad once you know how immature the guys in the company acted , indicating it's pretty likely they were going for a " we said cock lol" thing ( while reading at first I had forgotten about the shit the company had done before). There might have been a few others I missed but still the vast majority of the complaints seem pretty damn nitpicky to me

Because it has no bearing on who they are as a studio or the kind of work they do. It's literally only an appeal to people's predisposition towards the words.

Sucker Punch wants their games to be as hard-hitting as a sucker punch. Epic wants their games to be epic. Platinum wants their games to be platinum quality. These are achievable things. But what does Cellar Door want? Naughty Dog wanted you to think of a couple of lowly guys making games. Insomniac wants you to think about people too excited about the game to go to sleep. But what does Cellar Door want you to think about?

They just want you to think about musty professors who in their esteem have deemed cellar door the most beautiful word pairing that exists. If you don't see how fucking pretentious that is then I have nothing more to say.

One of the points of naming things is to make it sound good. It doesn't have to make you think about anything. You attribute motives when there might be none.

Three

I've never understood where Drinkbox got their name. Still love them though. I guess we won't get actual terrible names because a company name is only terrible if you don't remember it.

One of the points of naming things is to make it sound good. It doesn't have to make you think about anything. You attribute motives when there might be none.

For character names and similar, sure, but I think businesses are different, especially with this specific instance. Yacht Club Games is another case where it seems pretentious, but at least they have admitted on numerous occasions to it being an ironic name.

Top Bottom