• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dumbest Game Studio Names?

Apathy

It looks like a factory number. Or serial number.

Well they were made specifically to pump out halo games till the sun burns out, so the factory motif is ok (and before anyone tries to tell me, yes I know what their name is reference to)

Chris_C

"Bluehole Studios" always struck me as a particularly poor choice. I know what a "blue hole" is and they're pretty cool, but I still can't imagine people sitting around making a list of names to call their company and "hole" being part of any discussion.

Yup, that reads like "Butthole Studios" alright.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Wadjet Eye.

I get that it's the proper name for the Egyptian pharaoic eye symbol, which is a cool visual, but the spoken term associated with it just sounds really silly on its own.

Makes me think of someone changing out a printer cartridge and having it explode in their face.

Wadjet Eye.

I get that it's the proper name for the Egyptian pharaoic eye symbol, which is a cool visual, but the spoken term associated with it just sounds really silly on its own.

Makes me think of someone changing out a printer cartridge and having it explode in their face.
lol

I feel sorry for all the plumbers who have to google about valve and steam related stuff. SEO does not help them in that regard.

Also as a decade long EVE player, CCP (Crowd Control Productions) has always been an awful name, it's one letter away from CCCP which was an abbreviation in Russian for "Сою́з Сове́тских Социалисти́ческих Респу́блик" which is well uh, the Soviet Union. We referred to it as USSR but to people under soviet rule it was CCCP.

Goldmund

Not being a native English speaker has its benefits. I had never even considered From Software as sounding really dumb. I tend to perceive foreign names as a mere collection of phonemes and entirely disregard their meaning unless it is readily apparent.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
thatgamecompany is really lame in that pretentious hipster all-lowercase ironic name way.

Respawn Studios - using FPS slang in a company name sounds cornball.

Visceral - I cringe every time I hear this name, especially since how "visceral" became such an overused word to describe every single average big-budget western shootbang last gen

Zoe Mode - Sounds more like someone's etsy storefront than a game company.

Vlambeer - Makes me think of the awful Bill Lambeer's Combat Basketball game on SNES.

For best names I'm quite fond of Obsidian. I'm not familiar with their games aside from South Park but I like how it hearkens back to their old name of "Black Isle" and also is taken from something generally seen as classy, valuable and rich.

Fond of Ninja Theory as well, it sounds like an album title from a conscious rapper and it speaks to my weeaboo side. Electro Brain is cool in an 80's cyberpunk way.

And also I'm fond of the name of the obscure company DISCO, who developed NES games for Taito, for obvious reasons.

And finally, I don't find CD PROJEKT RED that bad. It brings to mind communist chic.

thatgamecompany

Neo Member
thatgamecompany is really lame in that pretentious hipster all-lowercase ironic name way.

I think that you got this right on the button.
While the founders of the company were talking about different names, a friend said "thatgamecompany" as a joke, because of pretty much exactly was you wrote.
The founders couldn't think of any better name that wasn't too similar to other companies, so it stuck.

Top Bottom