• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons and Dragons: Who still plays?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ferrio said:
Ya I've done a lot of reading, finally figured out exactly how it works. Assassin can bend the rules here and there too (automatically stay hidden when moving as long as you end under *any* cover/concealment doesn't have to be total)

Cool. Just make sure that you and the DM are on the same page before play or it can be painful. I hear the new Essentials Rules Compendium has more specifics as far as the controversial rules like stealth.

If your DM uses the Essentials. Seems like a bunch of folks down here are not touching the Essentials material and it's "revisions"

BattleMonkey said:
If your DM uses the Essentials. Seems like a bunch of folks down here are not touching the Essentials material and it's "revisions"

Just like people still play the older editions. But if you're playing 4E, you'll be suing the rules in the Rules Compendium. The online 4E community are embracing Essentials as more options, which is what they are.

The main revision is how the Wizard class works. The other Essentials classes are just new builds. This talk of 4.5 is idiotic and uninformed.

Zeke

I haven't played in years my cousins introduced me to the game when I was younger. I loved playing a good game of D&D. I've been pushing my cousins into playing again with no luck. ;(

krypt0nian said:
Just like people still play the older editions. But if you're playing 4E, you'll be suing the rules in the Rules Compendium. The online 4E community are embracing Essentials as more options, which is what they are.

The main revision is how the Wizard class works. The other Essentials classes are just new builds. This talk of 4.5 is idiotic and uninformed.

Even the minor stuff is bugging folks, it always has as any type of revisioning will so close to the initial release.

The acceptance of Essentials will basically boil down to it being integrated into the official character builder I think either way as thats what every DM around here uses at the shops.

BattleMonkey said:
Even the minor stuff is bugging folks, it always has as any type of revisioning will so close to the initial release.

The acceptance of Essentials will basically boil down to it being integrated into the official character builder I think either way as thats what every DM around here uses at the shops.

That's just the way it is. Heck the monthly errata sheets bugged some folks. ;)

I embrace new options and use the builds I like. People complained that all the classes played alike at first and then learned that they couldn't be more wrong. Now they are adding in options that make certain builds bend/break the rules and people are complaining.

*grin*

If theres going to be a PbP starting up I would be interested in playing, I check GaF constantly while at work and 3-4 times when home. I have some 4e materials (not the new essentials stuff) but haven't played it at all.

Quick question, how would we handle keeping things moving along when someone fails to post? Thats usually one of the biggest things that slows down/kills PbP adventures in my experience. A ran a couple of PbP games before and typically I would wait 24 hours then make that persons decisions for them.

Vagabundo

Fireblend said:
Never played. I don't think anyone in Costa Rica does :lol (I'm exaggerating, it's just not what my group of friends would be interested in doing) I'd like to try it out sometime though, it seems fun, although I wonder if I could stand being in-character all serious or dealing with the seemingly difficult rules.

It doesn't have to be serious in character stuff. Seriously, it can just be a load of friends, drinking beer and laughing at one of the characters' who leapt into a barrel and was slung at the orcs from a castle wall.

I've been playing for 20 years and most games of DND are very casual; in style and rules application :D...

krypt0nian said:

Agreed. And if someone is not keeping up with the errata/revisions then there is no loss, they can mix and match all the content that is being released. The only issue is that DDI will not allow you to use previous version after the update; you should be able to roll-back on certain version of the powers in the char builder and have the character show and not-legal. Or have all the version in the compendium with a clickable link.

EDIt: the new essential character sheets are pretty good:

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Tool.aspx?x=dnd/4new/tool/charactersheet

Ferrio

Banned
So got to play the campaign yesterday. The only house rule was that all damage/healing was doubled which I liked *alot*. It made fights got a lot quicker and didn't trivialize them in the process. My assassin seemed to work out well, as long as stuff didn't get 25 feet or more away from me....

Also we didn't have an issue with stealth. One of my powers says i'm invisible and silent. Which my dm said was being hidden. I assumed you always had to roll stealth even if you're invisible. But by definition being hidden is not being seen and being silent... which that skill was. Very odd.

Vagabundo

Ferrio said:
So got to play the campaign yesterday. The only house rule was that all damage/healing was doubled which I liked *alot*. It made fights got a lot quicker and didn't trivialize them in the process. My assassin seemed to work out well, as long as stuff didn't get 25 feet or more away from me....

Also we didn't have an issue with stealth. One of my powers says i'm invisible and silent. Which my dm said was being hidden. I assumed you always had to roll stealth even if you're invisible. But by definition being hidden is not being seen and being silent... which that skill was. Very odd.

Well Stealth covers both, avoid been seen and heard, so if you have a power that says you are invisible and silent, then I suppose stealth is irrelevant.

Compendium said:
Hidden
When a creature is hidden from an enemy, the creature is silent and invisible to that enemy. A creature normally uses the Stealth skill to become hidden.

Nice power. I've wanted to play an assassin. Unfortunately I always have to DM (and I have for the past 20+ years :( ).

There is an essential book coming in the new year called Player’s Option: Heroes of Shadow. It suppose to be a bunch of optional rules and some classes - like the Assassin. Pretty close to Unearthed Arcana of old, but they have a new feature called Unearthed Arcana in the Dungeon/Dragon mags. Last week we got some curses using the disease rules - which was nice.

Gawd I luv DND...

Vagabundo

Got the free RPGA Tomb of Horrors yesterday. Yey.

Review: Wow. It is really good. It is a pure update of the original mod. I never got ot run or play it, but it is bad-ass. It will really fuck with your players and stretch them. I'd recommend this for any group that you want to kill off a few of the characters. There are a few combat encounters, but it is mostly traps, traps and more traps. 4e really does justice to the adventure and the mechanics really shine through in this mod. I think it is my favourite 4th edition mod to date. And it has one of the best skill challenges in it; you guessed it, it's a trap...

I'm seriously thinking of running this after Thunderspire Labyrinth. There is a new super-adventure by the same name that I could probably run after the original TOH...

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I would love to play but in Japan it is hard to find people

Blackace said:
I would love to play but in Japan it is hard to find people

That's too bad. =(

Wasn't it really popular at one time there? I thought back in the Record of Lodoss Wars days, I heard something like that. Especially considering the focusc the JRPGS put on things like AC, HP, etc which came directly from pen and paper games.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Never been a D&D guy but love PnP RPGs... Play by post is something I would like to do but what about dice rolls?

Artadius

Blackace said:
Never been a D&D guy but love PnP RPGs... Play by post is something I would like to do but what about dice rolls?

The Play by Post campaign I'm currently DM'ing has two options.

1) The DM makes all the rolls. 99% of the rolls are done like this and I simply paste the results in the update posts. I use the rollers on the player's character sheets on http://iplay4e.appspot.com in order to accomplish this easily. I can simply click one of their powers, roll to hit, copy that result and paste into my update posting, then (if necessary) roll for damage and again copy and paste the result to my update post. Its very hands off for the players and if they trust their DM (which they should... if you don't, why are you playing with that DM?) then its fairly easy for the player to participate.

2) We optionally provide an online tool like Invisible Castle or Orokos to do verifiable rolls that the players can do themselves. Using a tool like that gives the player a quick and easy bbcode to copy and paste into their post on the board and it links back to a master campaign page that I, as DM, can check to verify integrity.

Example: Dishearten vs Will - Order: goblin 21, goblin 50, boss bub - vs. Will: 3#1d20+10 28 12 22 1d6+12 17

I offered to do a PbP game here on GAF, but only a couple of people replied they were interested. Offer still stands if more folks want to get involved.

---------

My current game is an eight player campaign using the DnD published modules. We're just getting rolling into the second Heroic adventure, Thunderspire Labyrinth, and it is proving to be a whole lot of fun with lots more story and intrigue than the first adventure. I'm running modified versions of the original published campaigns which link them together MUCH better than they were originally created by Wizards of the Coast. They are much more exciting now and and make the entire published series one mega campaign path with stronger hooks from the get-go.

Some stats:

I think you can view the campaign characters at this link: http://iplay4e.appspot.com/campaigns/agdpcGxheTRlchELEghDYW1wYWlnbhiv86gBDA

Party (all level 4):
Dragonborn Protecting Paladin of Bahamut
Dragonborn Great Weapon Fighter
Gnome Valorous Bard (multiclassed Warlord)
Human Archer Ranger
Dwarf Cleric
Elf Brawny Rogue
Elf Control Wizard
Human Dragon Sorcerer

1st Short Adventure (Kobold Hold): 591 Replies, 8571 Views
2nd Adventure (Keep on the Shadowfell): 3197 Replies, 28839 Views
2rd Adventure in progress (Thunderspire Labyrinth): 260 Replies, 1735 Views. This one should easily eclipse Shadowfell.

Vagabundo

Blackace said:

Go to enworld.org news page: just released; secure, in-post dice rolling!!

-------------------

Here is a link to ENworlds PbP forum: http://www.enworld.org/forum/play-post-games/

There are normally two threads per game, one for out of character stuff (OOC) and the other is in-game fiction. There is a little bit of fudging that goes on, but it looks awesome. It can be quite slow and there is a high drop out rate of PbP games. But it looks like a slot of fun.

I get enough of a fix from my weekly game - currently on hiatus due to my first baby causing havoc with my free time :D...

Vagabundo

Artadius said:
My current game is an eight player campaign using the DnD published modules. We're just getting rolling into the second Heroic adventure, Thunderspire Labyrinth, and it is proving to be a whole lot of fun with lots more story and intrigue than the first adventure. I'm running modified versions of the original published campaigns which link them together MUCH better than they were originally created by Wizards of the Coast. They are much more exciting now and and make the entire published series one mega campaign path with stronger hooks from the get-go.

I'm currently running this and my lads (and sis) are in the well of demons right now. One of my mistakes with this was not playing up Paldemar's evilness early enough. They barely care that he is around doing something sneaky. He did attempt to assassinate them, but they rarely hold that against anyone, considering the body count they amass - they just accept some bad feelings from people as part of the job of being an Adventurer.

There are a lot of flaws in the adventure, but the setting is awesome. It would probably be better running it like a sandbox and having all the locations as independent adventure. Oh one of my favourite changes - and one that worked out really nice - was making a Beholder Gaunt (Xix) the head of the Bloodreaver Slaving Conglomerate. He made a secret shaft in the Bloodreaver compound and came out right in the middle of the fight with the Hobos.

The Duergar Fortress has tooo many Duergar in it. I had a discontented Duergar drinking himself silly in Rothgars Tavern. He came to the PCs attention and, for a side quests worth of time, he got the orc guards drunk and left the gate open - he had a grudge against Muklemyor(sp??).

For my finale I'm going to give control of the giant Minotaur statue in the centre of the seven pillared hall (it is an over over sized Bronze Warder, one of the SPHs big secrets) to the PCs. The is a cabal of Minotaurs that will give the control amulet to the players in exchange for half the labyrinth - in my game the Mages of Sauran have legged it because Paldemar was getting too dangerous.

Artadius

Here's a great article written at the WotC community boards which does a good job of clearing up all the confusion between stealth, hidden, invisibility, concealment, blindness, etc..

Hidden Club

Rounding out our heroic level campaign in a few weeks. Stopping at lvl12 for a break.

Just rolled an Elven Monk for the next run. Forgotten Realms this time with a new DM so pretty excited. Monks seem so badass. We're starting this run at lvl11 so it's a lot to take in at once. So many options!

Just played this weekend with some friends from college. We used 3.5, and had a lot of fun. The Barbarian Big Jim Slade broke down many doors, crushed a ton of zombies (and kicked ones head off so it flew into a cauldron), and used a ripped off zombie arm as a torch! In short lots of fun was had. Ironically there wasn't a lot of combat, but lots of investigation and adventuring through towns (which I enjoyed). It was a good campaign with a mix of humor, but still serious to an extent.

I think the lack of needing to have wall to wall combat and the actual RP'ing that was in an average D&D campaign surprised when I first started playing.

Xater

I tried out a couple Pen & paper RPGs and actually enjoy them. I would love to paly D&D but like alot people I dont have anyone to play. :(

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I think the lack of needing to have wall to wall combat and the actual RP'ing that was in an average D&D campaign surprised when I first started playing.

That's how we play too. Played on Saturday for 6 hours and there was one 30 min combat. Had a blast!

I'm a brand new DM, running a home-brewed 4e campaign and having fun so far. Can anyone recommend any good sources to find effective dungeon and puzzle rooms? I'm talking more than just a riddle written on a door - preferably puzzles with pieces that need to be interacted with in certain ways. Thanks

ThLunarian said:
I'm a brand new DM, running a home-brewed 4e campaign and having fun so far. Can anyone recommend any good sources to find effective dungeon and puzzle rooms? I'm talking more than just a riddle written on a door - preferably puzzles with pieces that need to be interacted with in certain ways. Thanks

Not a DM but ask this guy - http://slyflourish.com/

He's ridiculously helpful in the 4E community.

Vagabundo

ThLunarian said:

I believe the super adventure Tomb of Horrors has lots of puzzle/traps in it. I got the original RPGA 4th edition remake for free and it has some great puzzles and traps.

There is a 3rd edition conversion available that you could grab some idea's from:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051031a

Wrapping up my DM's home brew campaign so my Half Elf Lightning Fury Storm Sorcerer goes on the shelf for a while, and out comes my Elven Centered Breath Monk.

Really excited to play such a mobile character!

Artadius

krypt0nian said:
Wrapping up my DM's home brew campaign so my Half Elf Lightning Fury Storm Sorcerer goes on the shelf for a while, and out comes my Elven Centered Breath Monk.

Really excited to play such a mobile character!

I'm playing a Githzerai Centered Breath Monk in a friend's Scales of War campaign. We're only just starting out and just barely hit level 2. A couple of weeks ago I was presented with the following battle map (I'm at F12):

quw1Y.jpg

I couldn't resist and I blew my load. Here's my post and the resulting DM update:

Artadius said:
Yells at Jentri:

"You call that AOE? Let me show you AOE."

Full Discipline: Five Storms
Slide 2 to D12 then Five Storm attack

Free: Action Point

Standard: Masterful Spiral

CFoB at this point. Priority goes to Fang 2, sliding it to C12 and granting me Deadly Draw CA.

Free: Supreme Flurry
Shift to G9 and CFoB Spider 4, no slide.

DM said:
Standard: Five Storms AT vs Fang Guard 2, Fang Guard 4, Spider 2 and Spider 3 (respectively)
Damage: 1d8 (4) + 5 = 9
Attack#1: 1d20 (16) + 7 = 23 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 25 vs Reflex = HIT
Attack#2: 1d20 (2) + 7 = 9 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 11 vs Reflex = MISS
Attack#3: 1d20 (6) + 7 = 13 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 15 vs Reflex = MISS
Attack#4: 1d20 (17) + 7 = 24 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 26 vs Reflex = HIT

Fang Guard 2 and Spider 3 both take 9 damage! Fang Guard 2 is bloodied!

Action Point

Standard: Masterful Spiral vs *Deep Breath* Webspinners 1 and 2, Spiders 2 and 3, and Fang Guards 2, 3 and 4 (Respectively)
Damage: 3d8 (7, 7, 1) + 5 = 20, 10 damage on MISS
Attack#1: 1d20 (20) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 29 CRITICAL!
Attack#2: 1d20 (9) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 18 vs Reflex = HIT
Attack#3: 1d20 (12) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 21 vs Reflex = HIT
Attack#4: 1d20 (2) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 11 vs Reflex = MISS
Attack#5: 1d20 (14) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 23 vs Reflex = HIT
Attack#6: 1d20 (6) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 15 vs Reflex = MISS
Attack#7: 1d20 (13) + 7 + 2 (Divine Glow) = 22 vs Reflex = HIT

Webspinner 1 takes 24 damage!
Webspinner 2, Spider 2, Fang Guard 2 and Fang guard 4 all take 20 damage!
Spider 3 and Fang Guard 3 both take 10 damage!

You assume the spiral stance. Until the stance ends, your reach with melee touch attacks increases by 1.

Free: CFoB deals 4 damage to Fang Guard 2!
You gain CA against Fang Guard 2 until the end of your next turn

Free: Supreme Flurry lets you shift to G9
Free: CFoB deals 4 damage to Spider 4!

The DM hated me for that one hehe... but damn, 150 damage as a level 2. Highly situational I know, but it was fun!

ultron87

The Monk's Flurry of Blows ability annoys me to no end as a DM. Especially with my one friend who has specced his monk such that he gets it on three targets after a hit. No reason for me to ever use minions since he can auto pop 3 of them in his general vicinity every time he hits one thing.

"Stupid monk tricks" has become a bit of a catch phrase in our group.

But yeah, that was a pretty nice turn by you.

Artadius said:
I'm playing a Githzerai Centered Breath Monk in a friend's Scales of War campaign. We're only just starting out and just barely hit level 2. A couple of weeks ago I was presented with the following battle map (I'm at F12):

quw1Y.jpg

I couldn't resist and I blew my load. Here's my post and the resulting DM update:

The DM hated me for that one hehe... but damn, 150 damage as a level 2. Highly situational I know, but it was fun!

This is EXACTLY what I'm doing, Deadly Draw and all! Cannot wait to dazzle in the right situation!

Ferrio

Banned
My group just reached paragon last week as we defeated the boss of the heroic campaign. Feels kinda shallow since it was my 2nd game of the campaign, but whatever. Going to paragon path as a Soul stealer or whatever for assassin. Really the only paragon option that doesn't suck completely.

Ferrio said:
My group just reached paragon last week as we defeated the boss of the heroic campaign. Feels kinda shallow since it was my 2nd game of the campaign, but whatever. Going to paragon path as a Soul stealer or whatever for assassin. Really the only paragon option that doesn't suck completely.

I feel like I'm drowning in Paragon paths right now.

My Storm Sorcerer just turned 11 and I went Lightning Fury. And my new Monk for the new Forgotten Realms campaign is starting at lvl11 so I have to choose that Paragon path right away. Thinking about going 4 Winds for him since that would be the most characterful.

hoverX

Anyone buy ravenloft? I got it on Friday with the hopes of playing it at the cottage this weekend but we ended up playing something else altogether.

Vagabundo

My game has been on extended hiatus due to new baby. Damn i'm itchin' for some game time.

I got the essential books; rules compendium and Heroes of the Fallen Lands. And am very very impressed. I love the format and the content. It feels like the essentials game could be a sub-set of 4e, you could run just an essentials game or play mix and match.

I rolled up a Human Slayer in about twenty minutes, completely by hand.

krypt0nian said:
Holy shit!

An actual Dnd TV spot for the new Red Box!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1j4MZerR7Q

Fiend Folio artwork rocking it old skool.

githyanki.jpg

Yeah it looks really good. Jumpin' on the nostalgia train.

Vagabundo said:
My game has been on extended hiatus due to new baby. Damn i'm itchin' for some game time.

I got the essential books; rules compendium and Heroes of the Fallen Lands. And am very very impressed. I love the format and the content. It feels like the essentials game could be a sub-set of 4e, you could run just an essentials game or play mix and match.

I rolled up a Human Slayer in about twenty minutes, completely by hand.

Yeah it looks really good. Jumpin' on the nostalgia train.

Yeah the Essentials books, especially the excellent Rules Compendium are some of the best books from any company in ages.

hoverX

Seriously? i was going to totally over look the essentials series seeing them as unessential to the whole experience. LOL I do like the idea of not needing Wizard's software to roll up a character.

hoverX said:
Seriously? i was going to totally over look the essentials series seeing them as unessential to the whole experience. LOL I do like the idea of not needing Wizard's software to roll up a character.

You surely don't need them to play. Its just more builds. I just love the books and cannot wait to play a Slayer(Fighter).

And I'll still be using feats/powers from across the character builder for him. There is no reason to stick with just Essentials powers. In fact you'd be gimping yourself IMO. They only included one Paragon Path per class in the core book.

My comment about eh Rules Compendium is because of the structure of the book, and how it presents things like skills, etc. Far more concise with great examples, exp. for more confusing aspects.

Funny that this thread was bumped - I just arrived at the game I'm supposed to run tonight and found out that we won't be able to play because 3 of the 5 players will be missing :-\

I've heard one of the big problems with Essentials is too much power creep, too quickly. I haven't looked at it myself, though; any comments on this?

ThLunarian said:
Funny that this thread was bumped - I just arrived at the game I'm supposed to run tonight and found out that we won't be able to play because 3 of the 5 players will be missing :-\

I've heard one of the big problems with Essentials is too much power creep, too quickly. I haven't looked at it myself, though; any comments on this?

What power creep? The only power creep that's been in the game in the last few years are the alternate ability score bonuses that the PH3 charas got, and the additional power that Dark Son charas get for using a theme.

The alt ability scores is being fixed with all races getting it in the Essentials line, and the theme issue will be fixed in Dragon soon.

besada

Banned
This is totally off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and this thread seems my most likely to know:

Has anyone played Bully Pulpit's FIASCO? I read about it on PA, then read the website, then read a couple of free scenarios, and thought it was a less rules-oriented acting-style game. Then I saw it was $25, and decided I'd see if anyone else knew anything about it, before I popped for what seems a fair chunk of cash for an indie non-rules based game.

I'd love a review if anyone has played it. And if you know of a better thread in which to ask, let me know.

Vagabundo

hoverX said:

Oh don't, at least flick through the books in a store. I love the format now. I still like hardbacks, but I won't be lugging them around any more. The Rules Compendium isn't complete but it is pretty decent in it's rules coverage and very readable. Same with the Heroes books, very readable stuff and makes character creation a breeze.

I used 3d6 in order; below 8 becomes 8;one stat to 16; method of generating stats (not official BTW).

krypt0nian said:
What power creep? The only power creep that's been in the game in the last few years are the alternate ability score bonuses that the PH3 charas got, and the additional power that Dark Son charas get for using a theme.

The alt ability scores is being fixed with all races getting it in the Essentials line, and the theme issue will be fixed in Dragon soon.

Agreed, I noticed any myself. However they seem to have fixed the math in the essential classes, so there might be an slight advantage with defences and attack bonuses (some of the3 feat tax stuff, implement issues). If it is then it is a minor increase, but I probably wouldn't run a PHB1-only unerratted warlock in a group with some essential classes.The errata would fix most of the power creep issues.

besada said:
This is totally off-topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread, and this thread seems my most likely to know:

Has anyone played Bully Pulpit's FIASCO? I read about it on PA, then read the website, then read a couple of free scenarios, and thought it was a less rules-oriented acting-style game. Then I saw it was $25, and decided I'd see if anyone else knew anything about it, before I popped for what seems a fair chunk of cash for an indie non-rules based game.

I'd love a review if anyone has played it. And if you know of a better thread in which to ask, let me know.

I know it is popular on my RPG forum, here is a thread about it:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/281114-fiasco-rpg.html

here some other links to people saying it s good - not much else:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/dc-gameday-discussion/293751-saturday-pm-alma-monster-fiasco.html#post

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-your-favorite-pickup-game-2.html#post5321356

http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...98-your-favorite-pickup-game.html#post5320674

If you make a thread there go to the general RPG forum, you will get some response to any questions, they are pretty good.

Here is a link to a podcast about it:
http://mikelaff.podbean.com/2010/08/03/vigilance-podcast-10-jason-morningstar-talks-fiasco/

hoverX

krypt0nian said:
You surely don't need them to play. Its just more builds. I just love the books and cannot wait to play a Slayer(Fighter).

And I'll still be using feats/powers from across the character builder for him. There is no reason to stick with just Essentials powers. In fact you'd be gimping yourself IMO. They only included one Paragon Path per class in the core book.

My comment about eh Rules Compendium is because of the structure of the book, and how it presents things like skills, etc. Far more concise with great examples, exp. for more confusing aspects.

I picked up the Rules Compendium as an impulse item when i was at the local gaming store picking up the latest Shadowrun book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom