• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Dark Alliance Reviews ... not looking good?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Damn I can't take anymore. After watching Skillup's review I decided to start a Cattie-Brie run and test his findings and in short, he's not being hyperbolic. It's a completely broken mess, and she is terribly designed. Hits not registering, randomly can't draw your bow back, the two most absolutely ineffective and worthless special abilities in any game ever, and her ultimate is just boring "arrows do more damage now for about ten seconds" - and it doesn't even work half the time.

This shit ain't even worth "free" for Game Pass. It feels like a student project that never got finished. I thought "maybe I'll just shoot enemies in the face over and over outside of their combat range to see the story", but there really isn't much story, and your attacks don't work so often it just feels like you're wasting time fighting with controls.

Fuck man. Who ever is the executive responsible for licensing out D&D properties for games needs to get more quality control. This is embarrassing. Microsoft might even want to remove it from Game Pass as not to dilute their brand.

Last edited:

Kimahri

Banned
So ypucan buy it on xbox europe now, but still no game pass. What a clusterfuck. I was wondering why it wasn't showing in pre install in the days before. Pretty impressive that no one noticed there was a problem. Even more impressive it's taken an entire day and counting to fix it.

MiguelItUp

Currently have LIRIK's stream up, it's a sponsored stream. There have been plenty of times where the mobs are just standing there not attacking and they have to attack them first, lmao.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
As a long time fan and dungeon master it pains me to type this. I only played this game because of game pass and even then it is HORRIBLE. The AI is bad the glitches are bad the combat is bad the core gameplay loop is bad the graphics are .... not good. There are much more interesting ways to pass the time like watching paint dry. Thank Pelor for larian and BGIII.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Well I'm literally only 5 minutes in at the moment. Playing the Dwarf and just did the tutorial that goes through all the moves.

If I had just wondered into this thread after playing this I'd think you guys were nuts so far. Plays fine, has multiple combos, dodge, block, parry, supers. Equipping gear is seen on the character. Kind of stunned at the negativity so far.

Okay .... going to level 1 and trying online lol.

So ypucan buy it on xbox europe now, but still no game pass. What a clusterfuck. I was wondering why it wasn't showing in pre install in the days before. Pretty impressive that no one noticed there was a problem. Even more impressive it's taken an entire day and counting to fix it.
I had it in pre install for a week or so and I downloaded it a couple of hours ago just fine via Gamepass. Maybe it's a weird bug or something.

DavidGzz

Well I'm literally only 5 minutes in at the moment. Playing the Dwarf and just did the tutorial that goes through all the moves.

If I had just wondered into this thread after playing this I'd think you guys were nuts so far. Plays fine, has multiple combos, dodge, block, parry, supers. Equipping gear is seen on the character. Kind of stunned at the negativity so far.

Okay .... going to level 1 and trying online lol.

Same way I feel. I like it a lot. The most glaring issue right now is being able to cheese at range. Easily fixed by not being a ranged pooci. I can try Catti Brie later if they fix the A.I. issue. If not, I am more than happy with a Drizzt playthrough. Zipping in and out of range after a quick combo is very satisfying.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Same way I feel. I like it a lot. The most glaring issue right now is being able to cheese at range. Easily fixed by not being a ranged pooci. I can try Catti Brie later if they fix the A.I. issue. If not, I am more than happy with a Drizzt playthrough. Zipping in and out of range after a quick combo is very satisfying.
I just parried a goblin and smashed him with the shield. He went "oh shit" and went flying lol. Im dying lol hahaha

DavidGzz

I just parried a goblin and smashed him with the shield. He went "oh shit" and went flying lol. Im dying lol hahaha

Lol, yeah I love the the chatter. Like when I was trying to sneak up a goblin is like, "I can see those purple eyes from here", and another one said "why do you need two swords?!" I also love when the big dumb dudes kill their own by accident. A dwarf took a boulder, tossed by a troll, to the back of the head that was aimed at me. It was great!

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
I hope MS puts some type of curation system in place for GP. I can see this becoming a trend where some devs will release unpolished games instead of delaying them because they have that guaranteed day 1 cash from GP.
That’s my fear as well. I hope it doesn’t just turn into some dumping ground for games that people wouldn’t buy at full price.

Looking at footage of the game myself, it doesn't look too bad to me? I'm still kind of wanting to try it.

However, from what I understand you can't create your own character? That's certainly disappointing.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I hope MS puts some type of curation system in place for GP. I can see this becoming a trend where some devs will release unpolished games instead of delaying them because they have that guaranteed day 1 cash from GP.
Currently, Game Pass games score well as a whole. There's some chart someone did and most games skew to 70+. Much better scores than PS Now games which are all overt the place.

But no doubt this clunker is bottom tier.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I'll be playing this along with SoT this evening, so hit me up in pm if you want to play some co-op. I've been playing as Catti-brie(archer) and I'll be looking to go through at least act III of Companions of Icewind Dale tonight.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

Currently, Game Pass games score well as a whole. There's some chart someone did and most games skew to 70+. Much better scores than PS Now games which are all overt the place.

But no doubt this clunker is bottom tier.

Sure, but GP is still early in its life cycle. Where there is money to be made, some bad actors will try to exploit it eventually. So better to put some system in place now to avoid future shenanigans. Also, merely being better than PS Now should not make MS content. GP is a Ferrari. PS Now is a Hyundai. MS shouldn't even consider PS Now as competition.

AJUMP23

I enjoyed the first act I played. But people talking about the combat are right. It is stiff and there is a lack of fluid connection between moving between enemies. I got a 59 hit combo and was surprised I pulled it off.

I think I will keep playing as I like the story presentation. Still want to play online with people.

Neolombax

Man I hate that I have such a thing for mediocre/bad games, especially if they're looter type games. The loot system doesn't look all that interesting to be honest, even the loot effects look very basic, the loot variety even looks average. But I want to play this so badly.

Its weird that I can wait for literally months/years to play critically acclaimed games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman or MGSV, but would in a heartbeat buy games like this on release.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played about 45 minutes of this, the first two missions. Did co-op between me on PC and son on Xbox.

Starting out was not great. Some people are talking about a tutorial level - neither of us got anything like that. Game literally dropped us into a town area with no directions whatsoever. We muddled through going to the map, picking out a level, then off we went. Beat the level, dropped back into town. Again, no tutorial on what to do. Figured out looting and leveling up, upgrading equipment etc. but still felt very janky. The animations are as bad as they were saying. Climbed a few ladders where my character was actually in a wall. Hit tons of enemies that rubber banded all over the place with wildly variable hitboxes.

The game is kinda fun, the loot and leveling up stuff seems really cool. I think they could have a fun game if they iron out the technical issues and weird stuff.

Also - anyone know why the PC version icon is labeled "CotH"?

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Damn I can't take anymore. After watching Skillup's review I decided to start a Cattie-Brie run and test his findings and in short, he's not being hyperbolic. It's a completely broken mess, and she is terribly designed. Hits not registering, randomly can't draw your bow back, the two most absolutely ineffective and worthless special abilities in any game ever, and her ultimate is just boring "arrows do more damage now for about ten seconds" - and it doesn't even work half the time.

This shit ain't even worth "free" for Game Pass. It feels like a student project that never got finished. I thought "maybe I'll just shoot enemies in the face over and over outside of their combat range to see the story", but there really isn't much story, and your attacks don't work so often it just feels like you're wasting time fighting with controls.

Fuck man. Who ever is the executive responsible for licensing out D&D properties for games needs to get more quality control. This is embarrassing. Microsoft might even want to remove it from Game Pass as not to dilute their brand.

Ya no, you have it wrong, on gamepass is a win win.

If the game is awesome, it adds value to your subscription.

If the game is mediocre, and you still.like to play it some, it adds some value.

If the game is horrible, they may have just saved you some cash, even 10 or 20 bucks due to you curiosity when on sale......

I dont see a downside......

bender

What time is it?
Just played the first two missions with a buddy. Props to the game for kicking us out of our sessions once the mission completes. The game is complete dogshit. I'll never talk shit about Outriders again.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just played the first two missions with a buddy. Props to the game for kicking us out of our sessions once the mission completes. The game is complete dogshit. I'll never talk shit about Outriders again.
This happened to me too. Completely baffling.

EekTheKat

Okay on the plus side - no extended login prompt/screen upon starting up on a PS5. On mine at least it boots up into Offline mode. Other games of this type recently have their single player mode gated behind a looooong online login.

On the negative side, the no mirror character, one character per player thing makes it a pain to matchmake. Right now I only have one character and it has a habit of matchmaking me to players with that one slot already filled, meaning I have to start up a second or third character to get better matches. Though I think this could be solved if I never play Quick Matchmaking and just try and host everything myself?

Hitboxes are a bit janky. No headshots apparently(?) Judging by a quick glance at the abilities it seems like a lot of passives are percentage based activation off of "On use"?

So far tier1 seems a bit too easy, though last night when I cranked it up one level and got promptly demolished by harder hitting hits. AI does seem to be an issue, leash line seems awfully short, and plenty of times AI is non-responsive until you're in their face. iframes seems generous though, I was able to spam my way through some attacks that I was sure was going to hit.

It reminds me of PS3 off brand mid tier ARPG games like Hunted (that over the shoulder game with an elf and a warrior? ).

DavidGzz

I feel like this should have been an isometric game. I bet the scores would be better, lol. People don't expect great A.I. from Diablo clones, plus you wouldn't even be able to see enemies 30+ meters away. Since it's 3rd person people are expecting smoother combat too, like a DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I think for what it is the combat feels good but I get that it isn't as good as those games. Also, no one expects headshot to do anything in isometric games, hell you can't even aim that accurately in them. There are definitely more expectations when it comes to 3rd person games.

I saw someone claim the original is way better but they don't even have combos, special moves, dodge rolls, etc. Those games are just not judged as harshly and nostalgia is powerful. I was just playing the original Dark Alliance before this game unlocked and it's pretty bland. The best thing about it is getting progressively stronger, otherwise this new one is much more fun.

Man I hate that I have such a thing for mediocre/bad games, especially if they're looter type games. The loot system doesn't look all that interesting to be honest, even the loot effects look very basic, the loot variety even looks average. But I want to play this so badly.

Its weird that I can wait for literally months/years to play critically acclaimed games like Red Dead Redemption 2, Spiderman or MGSV, but would in a heartbeat buy games like this on release.

I'm the same way. I don't judge them nearly as harshly. I love looters, especially medieval ones. Look at the Gothic games, Elex, etc. They are janky with bad A.I., bad animations, etc but I love them lol

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I feel like this should have been an isometric game. I bet the scores would be better, lol. People don't expect great A.I. from Diablo clones, plus you wouldn't even be able to see enemies 30+ meters away. Since it's 3rd person people are expecting smoother combat too, like a DMC or Ninja Gaiden. I think for what it is the combat feels good but I get that it isn't as good as those games. Also, no one expects headshot to do anything in isometric games, hell you can't even aim that accurately in them. There are definitely more expectations when it comes to 3rd person games.
Those are solid points which would had hid some of the games issues.

bbeach123

I feel like a lots of dev nowaday dont even know how to design a loot based ARPG game , or even ever play one .

Anthem , Godfall , and now this . There a reason why people spend 100 hours farming in MHW just to get 5-10% stronger . Not the boring 5% better crit change , 5% resist or 5% damage shit .

Vaelka

All I know is that the announcement trailer became a meme, and the new trailers are a bit cringe but okay not the worst.
The character models tho still look absolutely horrible and reminds me of the announcement trailer especially the Drow and Dwarf..

The game just overall looks extremely cheap, and not in a charming way or a way in which it makes me think '' okay but they're small devs ''.
I mean it's DnD, it's a big IP and it gets a lot of marketing it doesn't feel like a tiny indie game.

Last edited:

anthony2690

Banned
I still haven't got round to the game, but the couple of people I've asked about the game seem to be really enjoying it.

I can't decide if they have no taste, or maybe it just isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

I guess there is only one way to find out.

Kimahri

Banned
All I know is that the announcement trailer became a meme, and the new trailers are a bit cringe but okay not the worst.
The character models tho still look absolutely horrible and reminds me of the announcement trailer especially the Drow and Dwarf..

The game just overall looks extremely cheap, and not in a charming way or a way in which it makes me think '' okay but they're small devs ''.
I mean it's DnD, it's a big IP and it gets a lot of marketing it doesn't feel like a tiny indie game.

How exactly does it look cheap to you? I don't really understand this view since I find it quite stunning in places.

The problems lie more within certain mechanics of the combat. I've finally been able to play it now, and there are two issues whose correction I think could improve the game a lot.

Firstly there's the lock on. The range is too short and once you kill what you're locked to, you easily just drop out of lock on, unless there's an enemy right next to you. Giving better range here would make combat much more fluid.

Speaking of fluid, attacks need to seek their target. It's way too easy to just end up attacking thin air since your angle was a bit off. Add some magnetism to attackd and we're golden.

kiryani

I did about 6-8 hours yesterday as the dwarf, it’s not THAT bad.

Combat can be a bit slow and boring but for a day 1 game pass game I don’t hate it, I would prefer it if you could find a group for the mission you were trying to do but I’ll get a few more hours out of it

Brofist

The game seems ok so far. A very average game but not as bad as the reviews.

One of the issues I have is when playing as the ranged character (forgot her name) and lock on to a target I can't see the ground and miss AoE spells that hit me.

Also it would really be nice to be able to equip gear immediately.

shoplifter

It's....ok? The aforementioned issues with combat I think can be shored up with some updates. After that it'd be much better.

Sucker for Crystal Shard thangs. Having some fun with this for sure. Would have preferred isometric? Yeah probably but with a bit of finessing/updates could be even better.
I'd like the option to wear the stock armor appearances for the characters.

DavidGzz

Man, look at these gamers giving it a try and liking it instead of subbing to the influencer hivemind and dogpiling it without even playing it.

I'll admit the A.I. not reacting needs to be fixed ASAP but it's a fun beat em up.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dungeons and Dragons: Dark Alliance has good ideas, but poor enemy variety, samey levels, bad puzzles, a shockingly poor story, the lack of local co-op, several quality-of-life issues, and numerous bugs that affect every aspect of the game make it hard to recommend to anyone, no matter how much they like the source material.

reinking

Gold Member
Man, look at these gamers giving it a try and liking it instead of subbing to the influencer hivemind and dogpiling it without even playing it.

I'll admit the A.I. not reacting needs to be fixed ASAP but it's a fun beat em up.
I gave it a try on both PC and XBSX and decided I am going to wait for patches. I am no longer going to support broken games until they are fixed. Even if they are "free" on Game Pass.

Top Bottom