• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkey's Anti E3 2022

Kataploom

Gold Member
What's it about? A quick description would be good to know if I'm interested in pause my currently played video and play that one or not 😬

Z O N E

He's not wrong, it was a clusterfuck.

Main show on Thursday, followed by Devolver right after it. Then Friday and Saturday of small stuff. Sunday Xbox showcase followed by PC Gaming show after it. Monday had Capcom and it was... not good.

If this is supposed to be E3s replacement... well it was a poor showing.

I think one thing I liked is that the Xbox showcase only showed actual gameplay and games being released within 12 months. I hope they keep that going forward. Better than seeing a trailer for game 3 years away. Keep those trailers for TGA or Gamescom. Lol

Z O N E

He ain't wrong

the industry is not the same i loved 20 or even 10 years ago

too many remakes, remasters, GaaS, indies look the same, AAA look the same...

Sorry for double post, but holy shit I agree.

ESPECIALLY the remakes/remasters part.

We had TLOU, then TLOU Remastered, TLOU2, TLOU Remake. I'm fed of remakes and remasters.

It's different if you want to reboot the games, but stop with the remakes.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
he is not wrong.
But a bit harsh on ff remake and re4 remake. I like these remakes/reimagining but maybe not if it's the only thing out there

E3 died in 2019, Geoff and MS can't make up for it with Sony and Nintendo and so many other publisher doing their small time events on their own.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

We had TLOU, then TLOU Remastered, TLOU2, TLOU Remake. I'm fed of remakes and remasters.

The only ones that make sense are examples like RE 2 or FF VII, because they look like brand new games

Creative business unit 3 lol
Hopefully one day that team can have a better name. Even just CBU3 works.

He's not wrong, it was a clusterfuck.

Main show on Thursday, followed by Devolver right after it. Then Friday and Saturday of small stuff. Sunday Xbox showcase followed by PC Gaming show after it. Monday had Capcom and it was... not good.

If this is supposed to be E3s replacement... well it was a poor showing.

I think one thing I liked is that the Xbox showcase only showed actual gameplay and games being released within 12 months. I hope they keep that going forward. Better than seeing a trailer for game 3 years away. Keep those trailers for TGA or Gamescom. Lol
Geoff fumbled the ball and it was such an easy goal with no opposing team in sight. He still needs to find the right balance with his summer showing and it's very odd, because his winter showing(the game awards) does way better in terms of content and having fresh new video games to show off. Judging his two shows by their own merits he wasn't even up to par with himself. SGF was a C+ showing for me this year in comparison to the B grade I gave The Game Awards.

I saw some really great content(including sizeable slices of gameplay of upcoming games) that he could have grabbed for his showing, but he let outlets like IGN, Future Games Show, and Guerilla collective scoop them up instead. The first show of E3 week/SG Fest has to be the biggest. Why didn't he take the Gungrave gameplay showing? Or the Evil West gameplay showcase? Or the Half Life Alyx Levitation trailer? It's a bit baffling. There was some good content out there but he left people to search for it instead.

I saw a very polished and fun looking 3d indie game called Protodroid Delta that took inspiration from Megaman X and Mega Man Legends but added nice melee action combat on top of that formula, and no one here even knows about it. Know why? Because it was saddled onto a small time showcase, that was essentially unannounced on most big outlets, and put out during two other big showcases. Now the game has no choice but to rely on word of mouth for sales.

I felt bad for the dev because the guy had his one chance buried by everything else, due to horrible scheduling.

ikbalCO

I love how he is obsessed with making fun of kojima's "strand type game" take when ever he gets the opportunity.

...Its very strand-like in that sense :D

NahaNago

I thought this video was kinda meh but it did reveal a couple of e3 shows I missed out on. So I'm grateful for that.

Jaybe

QRA6unP.jpg

I always appreciate a Dunkey video.

It is weird how they always wheel Kojima out for these things. Microsoft is hilarious with their pathetic attempts to win over fans of Japanese companies.

Last edited:

Z O N E

Geoff fumbled the ball and it was such an easy goal with no opposing team in sight. He still needs to find the right balance with his summer showing and it's very odd, because his winter showing(the game awards) does way better in terms of content and having fresh new video games to show off. Judging his two shows by their own merits he wasn't even up to par with himself. SGF was a C+ showing for me this year in comparison to the B grade I gave The Game Awards.

I saw some really great content(including sizeable slices of gameplay of upcoming games) that he could have grabbed for his showing, but he let outlets like IGN, Future Games Show, and Guerilla collective scoop them up instead. The first show of E3 week/SG Fest has to be the biggest. Why didn't he take the Gungrave gameplay showing? Or the Evil West gameplay showcase? Or the Half Life Alyx Levitation trailer? It's a bit baffling. There was some good content out there but he left people to search for it instead.

I saw a very polished and fun looking 3d indie game called Protodroid Delta that took inspiration from Megaman X and Mega Man Legends but added nice melee action combat on top of that formula, and no one here even knows about it. Know why? Because it was saddled onto a small time showcase, that was essentially unannounced on most big outlets, and put out during two other big showcases. Now the game has no choice but to rely on word of mouth for sales.

I felt bad for the dev because the guy had his one chance buried by everything else, due to horrible scheduling.

Yeah, he definitely fumbled. He should've made the main show LONGER and more intense, but nope. The shows were just too spread out to keep me interested. Hell, I almost forgot about the PC Gaming Show. I agree though that some games were just thrown in-between shows and were like cannon fodder that no one will remember, which is just extremely sad. Your example I didn't even know about, I googled it and it looks pretty fun.

We do have the Xbox ID at Xbox showcase on the 21st? I think. So hopefully the ones that were buried at SGF get some nice loving there.

Fixed that for you.

You know, I agree with that, definitely early remakes. It's obvious WHY they're doing a TLOU1 Remake, but it's just so shitty. TLOU1 will have 3 (THREE) DIFFERENT VERSIONS. I mean you can't make that shit up. 😂

The only ones that make sense are examples like RE 2 or FF VII, because they look like brand new games

Yeah, I REALLY loved the RE1, 2 and 3 remakes. Those were amazing. Literally night and day changes. FFVII too, completely different.

I went in that "other" place and they had a thread where someone said "What do you think about a game adaptation of the TLOU TV Show".

So they want ANOTHER version of TLOU... You just can't make this shit up. Lol

Gambit2483

Seriously, its pretty bad. Naughty
Dog could learn a thing or two from Insomniac. ND are litterally milking one franchise and the only 2 games from said franchise.

Are they even working on anything NOT TLOU? Even pre-production?

Z O N E

Dog could learn a thing or two from Insomniac. ND are litterally milking one franchise and the only 2 games from said franchise.

So they have TLOU Frontiers? Which is their version of a live service, you guessed it, TLOU game. What's crazy is that Frontiers was supposed to come out with TLOU2 or just after it after some time, but then they decided to make it a standalone game because why not charge consumers instead of giving multiplayer for free.

They apparently have another IP in the making but honestly, I won't be surprised if we see a TLOU1+2 Remake which includes Frontiers and then they sell THAT as a collection and release it on PC so they can milk even MORE money.

But yeah, like you said, only 2 games in the franchise and the 1st game already has 3 different versions. It's quite sad.

tmlDan

They are.....the remake was made when it was in pre-production when they didn't have work for the extended team while they worked on new game concepts.

This is widely known from reports.

Krathoon

It is funny how that one guy sounds so fake establishing his gaming cred.
Allot of people trying to be internet famous sound like that.

Last edited:

Krathoon

The problem with the media in this industry is that it is slanted towards young people. There is an older demographic now. Also, it is not really a hip hobby. They need to embrace the geekiness of it.

Fbh

This E3 was so bad we get a Dunkey video instead of a Crowbcat one.

They are really running TLOU into the ground. The PS4 version was fine. No more remakes.

ND on Ps1: New IP
ND on Ps2: New IP
ND on Ps3: 2 new IPs
ND on Ps4: Sequels and remasters.
ND on Ps5: TLOU 1 again, and TLOU multiplayer.

Krathoon

Yeah. They needed to stop at the TLOU1 remaster. Now, the TLOU1 remake costs full price.

Gotta triple dip that chip.

Last edited:
The problem with the media in this industry is that it is slanted towards young people. There is an older demographic now. Also, it is not really a hip hobby. They need to embrace the geekiness of it.
This stopped being true once people found out about celebrities playing games like breath of the wild and fornite and, before even that, once e-sports champions started being treated as huge as K-pop stars in other countries. We're well past the point of hip.

"Old school Gamecube games." :pie_eyeroll:
GameCube is 20 years old.

TransTrender

Gold Member
This seems like a deliberate bait video since he's normally more nuanced and less cynical, and even when he's cynical there's a lot more depth and charm to it.

Krathoon

It is the old problem where companies don't want to try anything new because they are afraid of taking risks.
So, most of your really creative stuff comes from indie developers.

This was why I was worried when Microsoft bought Double Fine.

Last edited:
Top Bottom