• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duolingo GAF, wanna be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I signed up a loooooong time ago intending to compare it to the other methods I've used to study French and German, and decided a few days ago to give it a serious look. I have a number of quibbles so far, but I'm willing to stick it out for the duration of an entire course.

secretmoblin if anyone wants/cares. Folks interested in supplemental material should definitely check out the free language learning resources thread; it's occasionally bumped and there's a wealth of great links and tips.

Prelithe

Does anyone know why the next batch of lesson won't unlock for me?

Is it because they added new lessons in the previous categories?

I think you'll need to complete all previous lessons to unlock the next tier. Personally I have yet to complete the second tier so can't say for sure.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I created an account a long time ago but never made much progress. Maybe it's time to go back. :D

Easy_G

Can somebody clarify what exactly duolingo is? Some sort of community language software?

EDIT: Maybe I get it now.

Name: Easy_G - Easy_G (Spanish)

Double Edit: Changed name to match GAF for simplicity.

reKon

Banned
found out about this in the Android App thread the other day. App is really great. Going to use it to brush up on my spanish

L3E2

Totally forgot I was doing this a couple of months ago, thanks for the reminder.

If anyone wants to add me:

marleezy - french

Polari

Updated the OP. Many usernames don't seem to work (like 2/3rds towards the end of the list). Not sure why though.

Sober

Does the ios version have oral questions like the website? Because the android one certainly doesn't.
Android came out earlier last week so I can see why it is missing some features, but it's great and it also has a reminder thing so I can stop ignoring the emails it sends me.

Sober

So it looks like to add people to my leaderboards or whatnot I have to physically add them as a friend even I am/they are following me?

skybaby

Android came out earlier last week so I can see why it is missing some features, but it's great and it also has a reminder thing so I can stop ignoring the emails it sends me.
That's probably it. Will use it on the ipad meanwhile. Whenever I'm outside I wouldn't use the microphone anyway.

Smilax

I'll add some of you guys later today, because for some reason it's taking a long time for the search function to work for me.

Edit: Added everyone! This will be fun!

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
I just joined and will be doing Italian. I'll follow everyone in the OP :) Good luck to you all!

edit: D'oh, forgot to post my username. It's cloudwalking, same as here.

I'll add some of you guys later today, because for some reason it's taking a long time for the search function to work for me.

Edit: Added everyone! This will be fun!

I just joined and will be doing Italian. I'll follow everyone in the OP :) Good luck to you all!

edit: D'oh, forgot to post my username. It's cloudwalking, same as here.

Yay!! Now my friendlist isn't empty anymore XD
Good luck for you all! I wish I'm not under busy schedule, I kept losin' one bar from my progress lol.

So it looks like to add people to my leaderboards or whatnot I have to physically add them as a friend even I am/they are following me?

Yep, I think it work like Twitter.

sangreal

sangreal - sangreal (German)

Haven't logged in for awhile, but I've been meaning to get back into it so I could use some motivation

Visualante, French. Added most of you, a few didn't show up.

Pronunciation is okay but working out the difference between s, z, e is very difficult. Been so long since I learned German in school I guess I forgot what a challenge it can be. Seconded about the language resource thread. I have that bookmarked.

I wish I got to do French in school instead, feels like 2 hours a week for 5 years wasted on a country I have no interest in. (No offence)

Mr.Swag

Banned
Whats you peoples track record on learning/attempting to learn a language?

I learned Spanish as my first language before pre k, and by 1st grade I already spoke good enough English. Then in 10th and 11th grade I took French. but I dint pay much attention.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Glad I saw this thread. I had never heard of Duolingo before the Android app came out last week, but I am hooked. Half of my wife's family are from Cuba, and I've wanted to learn Spanish anyway. I took three semesters in college, so some of this is review, but it seems like a fun way to learn.

Username: snacknuts (Spanish)

Clevinger

Clevinger (Spanish)

I learned Spanish as my first language before pre k, and by 1st grade I already spoke good enough English. Then in 10th and 11th grade I took French. but I dint pay much attention.

My mom taught me Spanish as a second language when I was really young. Then I never, ever used it and I lost almost all of it. Now I'm relearning it as an adult.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Clevinger (Spanish)

My mom taught me Spanish as a second language when I was really young. Then I never, ever used it and I lost almost all of it. Now I'm relearning it as an adult.

Did you never have to speak Spanish growing up? I grew up in a Spanish only home, so I will forever speak Spanish.

Clevinger

Did you never have to speak Spanish growing up? I grew up in a Spanish only home, so I will forever speak Spanish.

Nope. My dad's Irish and my mom's Mexican, so the only time it was spoken was when my mom was teaching me and then later when she was trying to get me to speak it with her regularly, which I wasn't into for whatever reason (a big regret for me). And even when we saw my mom's family they never spoke Spanish around us. Well, except my grandma calling me Mijo. That was the extent of it.

bananas

Banned
I started doing Spanish on this site a few months ago, but stopped.

Maybe I'll pick it back up again.

I'm bananasGAF. Add me if you choose.

Terrible. I've been "learning" French for like half my life. Still trash at it.

I can read Latin though, I picked up on that real quick for some reason. I guess because I never had to speak it.

I want to learn Norwegian for reasons (or Portuguese when I'm drunk) but I figure if I can't stick with French how can I do those? I'll force myself through all this as it's not painful and it's kind of fun, and if I come away with French then even better.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I've learned dutch but only because I moved here. My wife is peruvian and I've made it through 2 beginners courses. I think I have a shot at learning spanish and find my paltry duolingo level currently accurately reflects my level, although I'm not yet failing often on the levels (failed one and kicked myself and immediately passed it by trying harder) I'm a native english speaker so I'm language retarded by birthright.

I'm going to push through on duolingo with spanish I think. I have some gaf competitors now, so I'm going to try and kill them all.

Human_Shield - Human_Shield (French)

This is pretty great so far. Hopefully I'll remember to stick with it. Good incentive to want to visit France someday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom