• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Duolingo GAF, wanna be friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
I've never heard of this but it looks awesome - gonna poke around a few things then decide if I wanna go thru with this - if I do Spanish will be my target :D

*edit *Oh yea I like this:

Shidosha - spanish

dubc35

I saw this on the app store yesterday, haven't signed up yet but I want to, will edit or add a post with my u/n when I do.

e* dubc35 - dubc35 (Spanish)

skybaby

The most awesome part is leaning German via English, which is not my native language. So I'm actually improving 2 different languages at the same time!

German students hit me up if you want, Subbiebr

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Since adding people I have become addicted to Duolingo! I am coming for ALL of you. Watch the leaderboard...

jayayess1190 now has more skill points than you (dogfish182).
Skill points: 201 (13 more than you)

hey watch yourself! payback will be swift.

cloudwalking

300chf ain't shit to me
Since adding people I have become addicted to Duolingo! I am coming for ALL of you. Watch the leaderboard...

I totally cheated... by accident, I swear!

I wanted to see what sort of language ability you'd end up at once you complete all available lessons, so I did the highest level shortcut test in German, a language I speak. Well once I went through it it skipped me to level 10 and gave me like 2000 coins. :/

I will say, though, I was impressed with the level that you are supposedly able to get to by using Duolingo. The stuff on the test was easily C1 level German (the highest I went to classes for was B2, and it took me two years to get there).

On another note... I wish there was a way to quickly review lessons you've completed without having to go through them again. Like, if you could page through the answers you gave when you last took the lesson. Also, I wish there was a vocab list. I'm slowly starting to realize that I should definitely keep a pen and notebook nearby to jot things down. My memory's good, but it's not that good!

Espresso

Banned
Thanks a lot! I didn't even think to log in on the website and check. AFAIK it's not in the iOS app.

No problem! It's a feature that I really miss when I use the iOS app on the go. I've added you and just about everyone else in this thread. A little competition is what I need to keep myself motivated.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Does it only make sense to start following people studying the same language as you, or should I just go full tilt boogie and add everyone?

Espresso

Banned
Does it only make sense to start following people studying the same language as you, or should I just go full tilt boogie and add everyone?

I added everyone since users are able to switch languages on the fly. The site tracks your progress in multiple languages.

Polari

Updated the OP... goddamn there's a lot of you. Haven't added everyone to my account yet, I'll get round to it later.

I wanted to see what sort of language ability you'd end up at once you complete all available lessons, so I did the highest level shortcut test in German, a language I speak. Well once I went through it it skipped me to level 10 and gave me like 2000 coins. :/

I will say, though, I was impressed with the level that you are supposedly able to get to by using Duolingo. The stuff on the test was easily C1 level German (the highest I went to classes for was B2, and it took me two years to get there).
I'm doing this more to see how it presents language learning than to actually learn anything - though it is always nice to have a refresher on my French & German - and I'm still a bit skeptical looking at the tree. For German, it looks like the last few lessons introduce words like wandern, Beispiel, and kosten and goes over concepts like imperative verbs, which is certainly not a high enough level of German proficiency to function fluently. But I'll defer to you, given that your skill is (much) better than mine and you actually use it to function in a German-speaking area. :p

On another note... I wish there was a way to quickly review lessons you've completed without having to go through them again. Like, if you could page through the answers you gave when you last took the lesson. Also, I wish there was a vocab list. I'm slowly starting to realize that I should definitely keep a pen and notebook nearby to jot things down. My memory's good, but it's not that good!
Along with several other quibbles with the program, I really wish there were some sort of comprehensive grammar guide that was as slick as everything else. Wading through the discussions to find out why the word order is as it is or why a word changes forms can be frustrating. The vocab list is great (I love that the site generates word-specific lessons), but the navigation is a bit awkward.

After I spent some of my free time with the app, I really think they should give users the ability to chat. It could help users to discuss about the lesson and to practice the language they learn with each other (esp. with the native speaker)

They should put this feature in the update!!

Ups... 2 days and 34 GAF friends!! Whoa.. Never thought it could be that many! :p

Shidosha

Means "Shirt on Head" in Japanese
After I spent some of my free time with the app, I really think they should give users the ability to chat. It could help users to discuss about the lesson and to practice the language they learn with each other (esp. with the native speaker)

They should put this feature in the update!!

Ups... 2 days and 34 GAF friends!! Whoa.. Never thought it could be that many! :p

it's funny, I came in to say exactly this - I actually followed everyone learning Spanish in hopes to do that. Oh well, either way, I'm on your heels coffee >:D

MadSexual

Any discussion about an "official" leaderboard? I'm sure it would be great motivation for all us.

(...I say from my comfortable third place in my current list.)

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I had this installed on my phone and completely forgot...

I'm "Skepsi" (french) on there. Someone took wenis
LLShC.gif

Is there a way to remove a language you started? I tried just one lesson in Portuguese, and it's not a big deal or anything (I'm not OCD about it) but there is now a big Portuguese ribbon on my profile and I don't really have any intention at this point to continue on with that language.

Also yeah I feel like I finally understand why grammar was taught the way it was in school with foreign language. If I didn't remember how to conjugate etre, I have no clue how this program would have taught me. It seems like it just throws them at you and expects you to remember them individually from it's examples without actually explaining anything, which seems rather inefficient for something like that. I'm sure it works fine for basic vocab but not for important verbs.

Haha, I keep getting emails about how you pass me... and then I pass you.

suikodan

Anyone wanna add me? I just joined this

Suikodan - Suikodan (spanish)

I did add most of Polari's profile in the OP

Sober

Wow, I added a bunch of gaffers and then immediately almost got bumped down a few spots on my own leaderboards. Awesome, I think.

Sober

It did come out on android earlier this week or last but strangely enough I just got the email telling me today even though on FB an twitter it was counting right down to it.

Sober

16 French words!

Se Je suis riche!
!

Maybe it's just me but for French I was hoping they'd have different verb tenses show up earlier. It's been a while so I dare not try to test out of a tier because I probably couldn't and I'd like to brush up on my vocab. But it gets pretty boring because all I have to work with is present tense.

frank the great - frankf31 (Italian)

i was making great progress in the past few months, and reached level 9 . . . but then bar exam study hit. i'm studying for the bar for 7-9 hours a day, and then working at night. no mental energy left for duo lingos :( i already feel my progress slipping away.

i'm going to try and really start up again in earnest in a couple of weeks when my night job ends.

!

Maybe it's just me but for French I was hoping they'd have different verb tenses show up earlier. It's been a while so I dare not try to test out of a tier because I probably couldn't and I'd like to brush up on my vocab. But it gets pretty boring because all I have to work with is present tense.

Darn! More practice then.

"Robe" is hard to pronounce..

moris

I started Duolingo too but I can't see the option of adding friends. Is it on iOS devices only or does Android has it too and I'm just blind? :eek:

Sober

^^^ don't have iOS, only android but you can't add friends. Probably only the desktop/browser interface, the mobile app is just for convenience than a replacement.

Darn! More practice then.

"Robe" is hard to pronounce..
I've done French since like grade 1-12 (1-9 in Ontario is mandatory) and I still get fucked up by the French r sound at some points. You should be okay if you just roll the r as you would in English and the voice recognition/people should still understand you okay.

moris

^^^ don't have iOS, only android but you can't add friends. Probably only the desktop/browser interface, the mobile app is just for convenience than a replacement.

Ah! Thank you! I thought it was only an on-device app.

morisan - Re-learning Spanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom