• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durango/XBox720 devkit on eBay by DAE

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He should film the case and put a video on youtube. If it gets pulled it will say "The video has been removed by "XXXX"" which should be Microsoft

Sid

One of my contact, who got access to Durango dev kits since a moment now, described these to me as a server, a big, apparently black, tower, with a kinect port in the back. So maybe the picture is legit ?
We need to know what's inside,exactly which gpu and cpu,if you're source can provide that it would be nice,well if not then we'll have to live with a 'multi-core' intel cpu and a 'high definition' radeon gpu

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
We need to know what's inside,exactly which gpu and cpu,if you're source can provide that it would be nice,well if not then we'll have to live with a 'multi-core' intel cpu and a 'high definition' radeon gpu

My source says the gpu has the highest of definitions and that the cores are multiple. I... have no source.

You're not buying it to play games on it.

You just want to know how powerful it is.
When did I ever say it was to play games on. You're buying off the shelf PC parts that will not be in the final box and we already have leaked target specs. Unless you have some money to burn and want a piece of gaming history, it sounds like a waste of money.

I think it's time I got an answer to questions about dev kits that's been boggling the mind for ages.

Do devs only buy one kit for life, or do they somehow just expire after one use so they have to rebuy them each time?

Same with engines and programs. I don't know why, but something made me think that they have to rebuy these thing hence why games get really expensive to make. Reusing a bought engine should make things much cheaper right?

And what about graphics and whatnot? Does it really cost money to actually use the engines and make polygons? Shouldn't it be a one-time payment? Do you pay by the polygon or something?

Always confused me.

ekim

You usually buy a per seat license for an engine - major updates must be paid as well as an annual support fee.

I think it's time I got an answer to questions about dev kits that's been boggling the mind for ages.

Do devs only buy one kit for life, or do they somehow just expire after one use so they have to rebuy them each time?

Same with engines and programs. I don't know why, but something made me think that they have to rebuy these thing hence why games get really expensive to make. Reusing a bought engine should make things much cheaper right?

And what about graphics and whatnot? Does it really cost money to actually use the engines and make polygons? Shouldn't it be a one-time payment? Do you pay by the polygon or something?

Always confused me.

Companies only buy new kits when there's a new revision. A great example of that is the XNA development kit which has 1GB of RAM. I've seen devs upgrading to those.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
All it says is intel and dedicated graphics.

You say it's by dae, but anyone could be superdae with 0 sells. Member since: Aug-11-12.

I'm calling it: Some got a Supermicro case and it has a shit cpu and gpu inside.

Which, people already speculate it's fake and I'm late.

Haunted

It this is real, he'll get in hot water when MS wants the devkit back right?
It's not an original dev kit, apparently, but the XDK and hardware chosen to similar (maybe exact?) specs.

In any case, he's probably in trouble for doing this anyway, since even if it's only a faked/approximated dev kit, that shit's covered under NDA.

Triple U

Banned
It's not an original dev kit, apparently, but the XDK and hardware chosen to similar (maybe exact?) specs.

In any case, he's probably in trouble for doing this anyway, since even if it's only a faked/approximated dev kit, that shit's covered under NDA.

No, thats not apparent. One guy in here made a suggestion like that and a few people are running with it for whatever reason.

Based on what's been confirmed, we only know that this DAE guy has a dev-kit.

you can't get in trouble for building a computer that is the equivalent/approximate to a real dev kit.

And you can't get in trouble for sharing information that is NDA'd if you didn't sign that NDA.

And microsoft can't pull ebay listings, ebay can. Microsoft can inform ebay and then ebay can take action

Reiko

Banned
you can't get in trouble for building a computer that is the equivalent/approximate to a real dev kit.

And you can't get in trouble for sharing information that is NDA'd if you didn't sign that NDA.

And microsoft can't pull ebay listings, ebay can. Microsoft can inform ebay and then ebay can take action

If the specs change... Wouldn't this dev kit for all intents and purposes be useless?

Those are broad strokes. I mean details-details. What kind of intel core. What kind of memory, bandwidth. What kind of GPU, the core configuration on there etc. etc. How much memory exactly vs 'more than 8GB'. I mean the guy clearly doesn't have an issue making big risks and being indiscrete - if this is true - so why not get down to the nitty-gritty?

Wouldn't spelling out the specs in the auction kind of, you know, kill the reason most people would buy the devkit right now in the first place? Most of the legit bids are doubtlessly from people wanting to dissect the system specifically to do that very thing.

bjork

If he manages to sell it for a ton and it's not actually a dev kit what happens? What is eBay's policy?

Maybe there's a dev kit forum that can out him with historical accounts of hours-long phone calls and post histories like those supposed fake Neo Geo carts a week or two back.

Triple U

Banned
If the specs change... Wouldn't this dev kit for all intents and purposes be useless?

Its gonna be useless either way. They won't receive the new hardware refreshes nor will they receive any software update past whatever bare-bones stuff it has now. Unless of course Dae is gonna work some magic and cut whoever wins a deal to funnel it to them.

I certainly hope this is just a joke and some poor sap doesn't lose $1000+ on an alpha-kit.
'

Maybe there's a dev kit forum that can out him with historical accounts of hours-long phone calls and post histories like those supposed fake Neo Geo carts a week or two back.
You seem to be implying something?

Haunted

No, thats not apparent. One guy in here made a suggestion like that and a few people are running with it for whatever reason.

Based on what's been confirmed, we only know that this DAE guy has a dev-kit.
Ah ok. I just skimmed the thread and people acted like they knew.

ekim

All it says is intel and dedicated graphics.

You say it's by dae, but anyone could be superdae with 0 sells. Member since: Aug-11-12.

I'm calling it: Some got a Supermicro case and it has a shit cpu and gpu inside.

Which, people already speculate it's fake and I'm late.

He posted that link at twitter.

People are really bidding $14,000 for an unknown devkit (if it's actually anything).

I mean, if he's going through the hassle of leaking it in such a manner would it kill to give a bit more of a description?

AzBat

Dilli666 guessed the model of the case in the other thread about this devkit. Thanks to him.

A pic of the Supermicro SC745:

RmY78.jpg

Great find. I bow down to your Google-fu. Mine is weak. LOL

ekim

So much going on at the moment:
GI AU announced a world wide revelation for Tuesday, Sonys presser at gamescom shows "the future of playstation", DAE sells a Durango devkit on eBay, valve does an awesome arg, rockstar games does an not so awesome "arg". I wonder if all this stuff might be connected somehow.

Marco1

Surely whoever buys this will give out the specs of what's in there.
This could really damage MS if the specs are not good.
Also that kinect port being there tells us that it is being bundled in.

Mandoric

Banned
This guy is crazy. So Sony could buy this devkit and get all of Microsoft's tech.

Can't use API, physical hardware is a rough estimate compared to the much more detailed look they can get just by calling up IBM and AMD and seeing what product lines are being pushed next year due to economies of scale/calling up Epic and feeling out what they want for UE4, late enough in PS4 design cycle where it's hard to make drastic changes anyway.

The only people it's really useful to are the gaming press, and I'd bet that the one big rush of eyeballs for a confirmed Durango reveal isn't even worth it compared to pumping a new rumor every couple weeks until fall.

I can´t wait for the seller to remove the item and GAF believing: "MS TOOK IT DOWN! ITS REAL CONFIRMED!!!"

Quite the elaborated hoax!

Unless something very recently changed the listing will essentially be vaporized from ebay's current/completed listings if it is pulled by ebay for whatever reason and will never be explained outside of the parties involved. If the seller ends it for any reason, it will still show up in the completed listings for as long as they usually do. The seller doesn't have the power to make it go away beyond the results expiring as they normally would.

Quazar

I just don't see how people are bidding on this with that much confidence. Fake. To much faith with such little details etc.

MormaPope

Banned
Would be hilarious if the top bidder was someone at Microsoft headquarters and then when they get whatever the kit is, they see if it's one of theirs.

Top Bottom