• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

Armaros

And what's wrong with gaming at 1080p?
Jesus Christ, you people complain about anything.

Implying that 1080p is the bleeding edge for PC gaming.

Edit: Why do PC Threads about performance always get filled with console warriors crying about how X resolution and X frame rate is enough for PCs? And they complain about console threads getting filled with PC Gamers Trolling?

Jin

There's also something to be said about settling on the bleeding edge...

1440p is not bleeding edge. 4K is and that's just right around the corner. In fact 1440/1600p is going to be obsolete if 4K takes off the way TV manufacturers are pushing it on people. Looking at my Steam library the only game that doesn't support 1440p is Dark Souls. 1440/1600p is not some mythical resolution that only top-tier developers are capable of. Shit, I think Baldurs Gate 2 Enhance Edition support 1440p.

epmode

because pc is not lead platform. GODDAMIT.

I can only assume that you're unfamiliar with PC ports from the last decade. Lead platform or no, providing support for multiple resolutions is utterly trivial and it should only take someone with access to the source code a few minutes to implement.

For the simple reason that non-CRT PC monitors aren't designed to display non-native resolutions. At all. If you've any monitor at any resolution higher than 1080p you're treated to a muddy mess. It's nothing like playing on a TV with a nice scaler.

Opiate

Regarding the discussion about the response to this news: I agree in some ways the response can seem hyperbolic. If it's a good game, then it's probably still a good game in 1080p just like it is in 1440p.

With that said, I think there is a component of the PC Gaming landscape that many of the uninitiated don't instinctively appreciate; unlike most console gamers or handheld gamers or even iOS gamers, PC Gamers are on their own. There is no daddy Sony looking out for the platform to maintain quality control, no Microsoft providing a unified Xbox Live experience and looking out to make sure consumers are satisfied.

Forget 1080p for a moment -- you can release broken games which literally will not open on the PC and in many cases the only recourse for the consumer is to warn other consumers to stay away. This is the nature of an open platform; there is no international corporate conglomerate guiding us along. If there is to be a guide, it will have to the consumers themselves. They will need to speak up much more loudly and proactively than do other groups of gamers if they want to have an effect on publisher behavior.

Ultimately, I think this is neither a knock on Konami or PC Gamers. I can understand why Konami and Platinum aren't instant experts producing perfect PC ports -- neither are long time PC stalwarts -- and I can understand why PC Gamers are reacting the way they are. If they don't respond loudly and clearly, how else will Konami learn? Again, there's no huge company there to help Konami along; if the gamers themselves don't speak up, then no one will.

aeolist

Banned
Do we know what resolutions? Haven't we just been told "up to 1080"? Given that the 360 and PS3 versions run at 1280x720, it's possible that they've done the work necessary to support 1280x720 and 1920x1080 only.

the amount of work needed to do what they did is barely less, or possibly even more, than the amount needed to support arbitrary resolutions

Do we know what resolutions? Haven't we just been told "up to 1080"? Given that the 360 and PS3 versions run at 1280x720, it's possible that they've done the work necessary to support 1280x720 and 1920x1080 only.

If they did it for one res, and since they said "up to 1080p" I can't imagine supporting only 720p and 1080p. Because that would even more bizarre!

riflen

the amount of work needed to do what they did is barely less, or possibly even more, than the amount needed to support arbitrary resolutions

But is this really true though? How on earth can you be positive without being a developer on the project?
In his patches, doesn't Durante have to correct issues brought on by running the game at a resolution other than those tested by the developer? Weird UI issues, missing assets etc. I dunno, it just seems we have a lot of armchair games developers in this thread.

Durante

Ultimately, I think this is neither a knock on Konami or PC Gamers. I can understand why Konami and Platinum aren't instant experts producing perfect PC ports -- neither are long time PC stalwarts -- and I can understand why PC Gamers are reacting the way they are. If they don't respond loudly and clearly, how else will Konami learn? Again, there's no huge company there to help Konami along; if the gamers themselves don't speak up, then no one will.
I generally agree, but the whole thing is just so bizarre from a development perspective -- even more so than locking the resolution, which can at least be argued to save some effort. I honestly am baffled why anyone wouldn't just ask Windows or DirectX what resolutions are available. Hardcoding just a few of them seems like more work to me.

But is this really true though? How on earth can you be positive without being a developer on the project?
In his patches, doesn't Durante have to correct issues brought on by running the game at a resolution other than those tested by the developer? Weird UI issues, missing assets etc. I dunno, it just seems we have a lot of armchair games developers in this thread.

Because:

a) he doesn't have access to the source code and does it by "guessing"
b) the games he fixed didn't have multiple resolution support (which isn't the case for MGR)

Durante doesn't have access to the source code.

haikira

Well for one, there are negative effects when you're not using your monitor's native resolution. So people with monitors that are above 1080p, probably aren't the happiest. Myself not being one, as I going to be fine with my 1080p monitor.

While I'll agree, it's not hard to find argument around here, it's not the worst thing. Criticism and debate can have positive effects and help move products along. Just this year, I've seen a console's barbaric DRM policy reverted, some truly shocking F2P models improved, poor ports improved upon and more, just due to public criticism. I believe art is born out of adversity and that feedback isn't a bad thing. As Opiate said, Konami don't exactly have a long track record of PC development and it's probably for the best to be vocal about any shortcomings, so they'll learn.

Ogimachi

It's not like most western PC ports include FoV settings these days. It's a lost art.
Doesn't make it less appalling in some cases, though. I can't play RE: ORC (yeah, I know it's bad, but that's not the point) for more than 15 minutes without a strong headache.

kick51

Banned
It's not like most western PC ports include FoV settings these days. It's a lost art.

eh, either way, japanese PC ports and ports of Japanese games to PC done by external dev teams have been going wrong since even the NES days, prob before

but these days, it's just not excusable anymore

Yep, a few games here and there have limited variability (FOV slider from maybe 80 to 100 or so) - Dishonored and Far Cry 3 off the top of my head, probably others - but I enjoy being able to go totally fish-eye via console commands.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Would've been worse if it was a 1st person game, but I wouldn't say no to having the option. It was dreadful in RE: Revelations, I think they patched that as well if I remember correctly.
They didn't but someone made an FOV tool and I used that for my play-through.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

What's wrong with gaming at 480p?

Technically nothing, but if your hardware and display can do better, why lock it to that resolution?

Armaros

Yep, a few games here and there have limited variability (FOV slider from maybe 80 to 100 or so) - Dishonored and Far Cry 3 off the top of my head, probably others - but I enjoy being able to go totally fish-eye via console commands.

The lack of variable FoV in most games just shows that most developers don't understand that playing a game at 3-6 feet from your TV is not the same as sitting 1 to 1.5 Feet away from your monitor, and the super narrow console FoV is headache inducing on PC monitors.

Top Bottom