• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Durante pls: Metal Gear Rising PC won't support higher resolutions than 1080p

Warewolf

Actually it's this game that is useless garbage if it comes out without any fixes to the issues presented in this thread, stop eating so much shit just because you're told to like it and have a mind of your own.
Do you eat shit?

Great minds think alike I guess?

I want to see more PC games cross the Pacific in an officially supported capacity. If my willingness to encourage developers to do just that means you two get to play some good shit that you would have otherwise missed out on. I'll take flak online all day long.

feel

That's a shame, but at least my monitor is 1080p and it will still look great I would only be missing out on Downsampling (unless Durante happens).

Pleasantly surprised that they got pc graphics options menu.

Any word on 120hz support?

ok it kind of sucks that its locked at 1080p i can get the hate. But why are people saying its going to suck if it locked at 60 fps???

Can u guys really tell the difference anything higher than 60??

1380041_10202457878675537_124855495_n.jpg

Finished building it today, $18,000 machine.

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.
Possible greatest thread hijack ever. That rig is a fucking beast!!! Throw anything at it. It'll run it.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

I want to see more PC games cross the Pacific in an officially supported capacity. If my willingness to encourage developers to do just that means you two get to play some good shit that you would have otherwise missed out on. I'll take flak online all day long.
PG is willing to fix these problems and discussing it with us though, so I don't think they need someone downplaying the issues when they are trying to get a list of what to address.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
OK OK OK fair enough.

Perhaps I wasn't taking other people's needs under consideration.

I apologize for that. I guess it is just that I have never understood the whole "resolution demand" thing.

To me when it comes to graphics there are two things of primary consideration:

Settings and performance. I'm more concerned about advanced graphics functions and maintaining a good framerate. Resolution is more of a secondary concern.

1080P, for me, allows for great graphical presentation without the trade-off of performance suffering that comes with these crazy resolutions like 4K.

Its hard to even imagine maintaining stable performance at that resolution with most demanding games today. Even with monster rigs.

Here's the thing.

The way PC gaming has worked for ten, maybe fifteen years is that the individual user has the ability to choose where they want to be on the performance<->presentation (including resolution) spectrum. Allowing you to choose the resolution at which a PC game renders is not "elitist"; it is a basic standard of the platform.

This seems to be something that people who primarily game on console fail to understand. Think of it this way: you know how you look at Nintendo's hardware platforms, with their clunky online modes, messed up "account" systems, and the lack of basic functionality that exists on Microsoft and Sony consoles? That's how PC gamers look at games that don't let you choose rendering resolution.

Basically: "This is basic, entry-level stuff that any company doing business in the market should have the ability to do. You'd have to be backwards not to understand this. Why is this so hard for them?"

scitek

I just bought the game despite this being an issue to show my support for more of Platinum's games coming to the PC, but please try to iron this out.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ok it kind of sucks that its locked at 1080p i can get the hate. But why are people saying its going to suck if it locked at 60 fps???

I can tell the difference between 120fps and 60fps just by wiggling my mouse pointer for half a second. I can still tell in games without a pointer but it takes a little longer.

News Bot

Banned

I was quoting Hideki Kamiya, so no. Though my mind is great.

Supporting more PC games but deliberately not actually developing them very well is like saying you can only cook pasta sauce and not the pasta and expecting people to be okay with the sauce alone. And like this, cooking pasta is simple as fuck.

Levyne

Banned
Some of the replies in here make my 1900x1200 60 hz monitor seem inadequate...maybe I need to get a second 780 to pair them up and push something higher, haha.

Ogimachi

PG is willing to fix these problems and discussing it with us though, so I don't think they need someone downplaying the issues.
Wrong. This Kellams guy said he's willing to discuss the issue with devs, but he was very clear when he said he won't apologize for the locked resolution, and he never said they're willing to fix it.

Tain

I'm much, much more forgiving about framerate caps. If this engine is anything at all like a number of other modern Japanese game engines it would take a significant amount of work to uncap this game. I don't think it's reasonable to demand it in a port, especially when the game runs at 60.

Warewolf

PG is willing to fix these problems and discussing it with us though, so I don't think they need someone downplaying the issues.

For sure, as I said before this should be brought up. I'm just advocating a good approach. Flat out condemning the release as an unplayable port isn't adding anything. Don't heap them with praise but go too far the other direction and there is no incentive to listen to that feedback in a meaningful way.

rashbeep

Banned

i7-4960X, 64GB DDR3 2400Mhz RAM, 4 x GTX780 Ti's, 4 x 512GB Samsung 840 EVOs in RAID, 4 x 3TB HDD, etc etc...

My home PC is more than capable(i7-3930k, 2 x MSI Lighting GTX680s) but hopefully there will be a mod in the future to make 4K doable.

Holy shit

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
For sure, as I said before this should be brought up. I'm just advocating a good approach. Flat out condemning the release as an unplayable port isn't adding anything. Don't heap them with praise but go too far the other direction and there is no incentive to listen to that feedback in a meaningful way.
Well that I agree with since some of the posts in here are little embarrassing.

News Bot

Banned

The response has mainly been that it is disappointing and can't be enjoyed to the fullest extent. Not "unplayable." Hyperbole works both ways.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I wish people would stop quoting that picture.

Which one? This one?

Why?

Warewolf

I was quoting Hideki Kamiya, so no. Though my mind is great.

Supporting more PC games but deliberately not actually developing them very well is like saying you can only cook pasta sauce and not the pasta and expecting people to be okay with the sauce alone. And like this, cooking pasta is simple as fuck.

This is what I get for being on the internet and not paying attention to Twitter.

It just pisses me off seeing a poor response to what is otherwise a good step in the right direction.

feel

Absolutely, at 120/144fps you're looking at a videogame move at what to me looks to be close as silky smooth as real life. Like looking out a window and not at a monitor. I got watery eyes the first time I got a 120hz monitor and looked at Team Fortress 2's animations in action.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I'm much, much more forgiving about framerate caps. If this engine is anything at all like a number of other modern Japanese game engines it would take a significant amount of work to uncap this game. I don't think it's reasonable to demand it in a port, especially when the game runs at 60.
The game can drop frames without slowing down so in theory it should be possible. I don't see any reason for a resolution cap either. If it can be changed than it should support higher resolutions in the same aspect ratio.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

hello, dave.

Naminator

Banned

You have a pair of working retinas? Then you should be able to see the difference.

Tain

The game can drop frames without slowing down so in theory it should be possible. I don't see any reason for a resolution cap either. If it can be changed than it should support higher resolutions in the same aspect ratio.

Does it not slow down? It's been a bit, guess I don't remember it very clearly.

If that's the case, yeah, no reason for the cap. Leave any capping up to vsync.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

Yes, certainly. A lot of people haven't used 120hz monitors so they don't really know it, but there is a real life-like quality to 120fps that you just don't get with 60.

You have a pair of working retinas? Then you should be able to see the difference.

Don't be so dismissive. Honestly, some people can't tell the difference.

Fucking this, what an embarrassing string of responses in here. Like, really? Shit port? It's a garbage game now too?

Yeah, but can it run Crysis?

News Bot

Banned
Fucking this, what an embarrassing string of responses in here. Like, really? Shit port? It's a garbage game now too?

It is a pretty bad port if it gets one of the fundamentals of PC gaming completely wrong. No two ways about it. Same way a console game port would be blasted for being buggy or having shitty textures. Of course "bad" is subjective.

Aretak

The minimum specs asking for an i5, this news and the fact it's on sale before it's even been released makes me think this is going to be one hell of a shoddy port.

Warewolf

It's more like two steps forward and one step back, really.

So what do you suggest? One step forward is better than no steps at all. I like Platinum games, I love my PC. I don't want this to happen in the future. There's no opportunity for them to fix their next game for PC if there is no next game for PC.

News Bot

Banned
So what do you suggest? One step forward is better than no steps at all. I like Platinum games, I love my PC. I don't want this to happen in the future. There's no opportunity for them to fix their next game for PC if there is no next game for PC.

I wouldn't mind one step if they had any intention of returning to fix their past mistakes. But until they commit themselves to that, it's just going to be one step followed up by a loud groan from me.

Personally I don't mind the whole thing too much right now, but it is bad practice and bad precedent.

Tain

I just wish more people could be reasonable about all of this.

This is very clearly looking like the best version of a great game that should not be passed up by any action game fan, but the port is missing a feature that nearly every Western-developed PC port in the past half decade has had.

I reaaally doubt it's a shit port, and it's certainly not a shit game. But it's hard to make a case that it's an amazing port when it only supports up to current mid-range resolutions.

Ms. Tea

Since you guys wanna beat me up, let me simplify.

1) We support 1080p.

I, personally, know some people with rigs that can support higher than that want more than that. I *promise* to share that info with people working on the game. I am not working on it myself. I sit next to the producer though. If only 1080p isn't enough, tell me and I promise to share that. I've been telling you all everything I know about the game, and I will share everything I've learned from you inside PG.

2) Durante is a stud.

I think the guy is awesome and everything right with PC gaming. He doesn't need to fix our game. I think our game is pretty awesome. But he deserves to be praised not only for being an awesome mod maker. If doing that makes me embarrassing, then I'm cool with that. In fact, anyone who does anything cool with our games, whether it be modding or cosplay or just telling a friend, deserved a beer in my book.

I'm not your embarrassment or your enemy. I'm the dude posting pictures from Valve or unboxing a Steam Machine. Your opinions are my ammunition, and I like going into battle fully loaded.

First of all, thanks for your response and for being so polite when most people are being hyperbolic.

I'm also one of the people playing all my games at higher than 1080p. I have a 1440p, 16:9 monitor, and I'm used to playing games at its native resolution. That's definitely a very standard expectation for PC games, and this resolution is only going to get more common in the future - which is a big deal since PC games tend to have much longer sales tails than console games.

Uraizen

Banned
What an odd port. They clearly put a lot of love and care into this port, but they messed up on some of the basic features PC gamers have come to expect. I'm also surprised nobody has asked the most basic question. My apologies if somebody did and I overlooked it.

What are the chances of you guys patching support for these features in post-release?

People who can't tell the difference between 120fps and 60fps can't do so because they are viewing the frames on a 60Hz screen. Derp. I can guarantee you this is the reason in 99% of the case, with said people having no clue about display refresh rates. Unfortunate, but considering how rare proper 120Hz+ displays are, I can't really blame them. Surely they are comparing to when they see their fraps say 100+ while still running at 60Hz.

Also, running below native res looks like complete garbage on PC monitors, so yeah... feel really sad for people running resolutions above 1920x1080. Downsampling is pretty cool to have as well, for those of us who don't. That said, if the game has an unlocked framerate, I'm definitely not going to downsample it since that (unless there's some magic sauce I've missed out on) limits your framerate to ~80 and below. No way I'd prioritize AA over framerate in a game like this. Who the heck would, aside from when taking screenshots or recording videos?

Why would any developer want to make games for such a whiny bunch of babies?

Why would anyone enter a thread like this to post a shitty reply like this? But hey, if you enjoy sub-par experiences, go right ahead. No one's stopping you. Just don't bother shitting on others in the meantime.

epmode

Why would any developer want to make games for such a whiny bunch of babies?

For money? It must also be nice to see your own game running the best it possibly can versus the compromises on consoles.

PC people have to complain loudly about stuff they don't like, by the way. We don't have a platform owner to force standards on developers.

Top Bottom