• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

DGRE

Banned
Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, and Aerobiz for SNES.

Before that, though, it was Clash at Demonhead. Holy crap that game was amazing. Still waiting for a VC release.

vcbg5.jpg

BSWMM.gif

qVgWv.jpg

Gacha-pin

sponk said:
since many of the games i adored when i was a child were already mentioned, i will go with this:

32308-Landstalker.jpg

I did not own a super nes and i never cared for it. Mega drive was my baby and when i discovered landstalker my mind was truly blown away. I played story of thor (oasis) and shining force before, but landstalker was the game that i have the fondest memories for.

The graphics are just so charming and warm and for the time, the game itself had incredible depth. The isometric view was also new for the time and required a lot of skill
and luck
to to get used to. I still shed a tear here and there when I think about the fact that there probably wont be a remake or a successor ... ever :(

some more pictures (just grabbed some from google so please dont complain about the quiality):
I love that game, too. lol, the boxart is totally different from mine.

916faef3821ef4e55fd4286936d1a8e7.jpg

If I remember correctly, there were two sequel (or spin-off) of this game.

KAL2006

Banned
Suikoden 1 and 2
Pokemon Red/Silver
Super Mario World
Yoshi's Island
Donkey Kong Country 1 and 2
Super Mario All Stars
Mario 64
Sonic 1 and 2
Street Fighter II
Final Fantasy VII
Twisted Metal 2

Apenheul

I had an IBM XT with CGA graphics card until secondary school, so I'd play anything that would run on it. But these were the titles I could play over and over again

The Secret of Monkey Island would just fit on my harddrive
Monkey1_CGA_small.png

Xenon 2 Megablast (screenshot has more colors than the CGA version).
943815723-00.gif

Dangerous Dave
108519-dangerous-dave-in-the-deserted-pirate-s-hideout-dos-screenshot.png

Digger
digger2.gif

Leisure Suit Larry
cga_larry2.gif

meppi

For the longest time it was a combination of this

BruceLee.jpg

and

popeye.jpg

Mixed with whatever arcade board we had in at the time. (late 70s, all through the 80s)
Good times. :)

Stet

Banned
This thread is bringing back all of the feelings of inadequacy I had as a kid because I was the only person I knew with a TG-16.

Cipherr

822742-shining_force2_gen_us_large.jpg

Stole it from a pawn shop like an asshole. Must have been 13 or so, so I wasn't exactly a little kid, but it was 'that game' for me, even at 13 as it introduced me to what would become my favorite genre.

When you do something wrong, you are supposed to be severely punished. I stole this game, and it turned out to be the most fun game I had ever played ever. Karma dropped the ball on that one.

Maddness

I love threads like this because it shows you the different age groups on GAF. Lot more older people than I thought there'd be.

As for me, my 2 personal favorites as a kid were a toss up, but probably more the 2nd one:

yars_revenge_color_cart_6.jpg

212292-bayou_billy_front_large.jpg

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Pokemon Red/Blue.

That's literally the only game that was the shit lol. That was during elementary school, then in High School everyone was playing Pokemon Diamond and Pearl and Mario Kart DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I actually played the crap out of those terrible TIGER ELECTRONICS games too, even though we had an Atarti 2600 and later a Game Boy.

ssoass

Aladdin for the Genesis... first game I got for that system. (came in a bundle with the Genesis)

Aladdin.gif

20110504-aladdin_gen2.jpg

aladdin-sega-genesis-game.jpg

I also loved Sonic the Hedgehog 2.

When I got a little bit older (11) FFVII blew everything away.

Relax.MX

Is Super Mario Bros. but yestarday i saw one of my old friends and this was a blast one of the best game with my friends...

FP1vy.jpg

/

LJZg1.jpg

A lot but alot of hours there..toooo much...

Pokemon_red_box.jpg

Pok%C3%A9mongold.png

Pok%C3%A9mon_Stadium_2_Coverart.png

Super_Smash_Bros_Melee_box_art.png

Screw all of you and your Pokemon Blue and Silver. Red and Gold were the way to go.
Charizard > Blastoise
Growlithe > Vulpix
Ho-oh > Lugia

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Well I was 12 when GTA 3 came out, so that's childhood. I had played the original at a friends house several times before, but the idea of it being in 3d blew my mind.

and it did. Then Vice City did the same. Then San Andreas.

Concept17

600full-twisted-metal-2-cover.jpg

So this obviously isn't the first game I ever played, but it was the first game that made me really fall in love with gaming. The gameplay in TM2 was near perfect at the time. Where most games during the PS1 era felt clunky, this felt smooth, fast-paced, and easy to handle. There was a depth to it that was rare in most games at the time, and judging by the new TM coming out, that gameplay looks to be carried over, all these years later. On top of this, the co-op made the game what it was really meant for - playing with friends. Ever since I rarely have bought games if I have no plan on playing with someone I know, and the vast majority of my favorite gaming moments have come from multiplayer.

So yeah, changed the way I thought about games forever, and has always made me remember that gameplay comes first.

tsab

I was ,I believe, 2 years old when my older brother got his Amstrad CPC464 (with a greenscaled monitor). It had so many classics.
So anyway,I believe Captain Blood has all the requirements you ask though.

First of all the intro music was from Jean Michel Jarre.
Secondly you had an innovative communication method called UPCOM.
You had a recon mini game where you had to travel with a recon pod on the surface of the planet (awesome fractal graphics).
HYPERSPACE.
You blew up planets.
What else you wanted in the 80's?

The wow factor for me it was that, when I was a kid, I would just blow up planets I did know shit. After I grew and could understand the mechanics (and English) I would play the game the normal way and discover a shit ton of depth in that game. What a trip it was...!

84640-captain-blood-atari-st-screenshot-izwals.png

Click me for video review

Please read the wikipedia entry since will do a better job presenting the game than me (sorry English is not my native language)
Wikipedia entry

Cystm

5D2Yx.jpg

And then later

VPLEc.jpg

3JJWT.jpg

I would walk up to the arcade with ten dollars in quarters and then spend another ten before the day was over.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IceDoesntHelp said:
Screw all of you and your Pokemon Blue and Silver. Red and Gold were the way to go.
Charizard > Blastoise
Growlithe > Vulpix
Ho-oh > Lugia

It's amazing how wrong one person can be.

Game Boy: Pokemon Blue/Silver/Gold (I was THAT kid, I had both)
N64: Mario 64, Mario Kart, the first three dungeons of OoT, Goldeneye, Super Smash Bros
Gamecube: Wind Waker and Melee

And then I grew up. In fact, I'd say the day I played Half-Life 1 on my dad's awful computer was the day I became a man. Gaming wise, anyway.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
IceDoesntHelp said:
-_-
I guess I'm wrong because I like Generation II the most as well.

Well yeah.

Gen 4 not only had DPPt but superior remakes of Gen 2 as well. :p

Luthos

That defined by my tastes?

Final Fantasy III probably (VI if you want to get technical). It started my love for RPGs.

Nizz

lowemark said:
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_liinmpLUM81qzj5ggo1_500.jpg[IMG]

[B]I feel old..[/B][/QUOTE]
That's ok, you're not the only one. Space Invaders was pretty fun. I was a big Pac Man fan myself. Had a lot of fun with Super Mario Bros. on the NES also.

Top Bottom