• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

LProtag

I've always loved video games, my mom used to have to hold me up so I could play arcade games before I could even remember.

But for me that one game was Star Ocean: The Second Story. Something just clicked and I really got into RPGs ever since.

UrbanRats

My first true console was the SNES, but at the time videogames, where just a past time like many others.

I understood it was something more (a passion) with this:

The sense of adventure and the open world structure (although limited) blew my mind in a way nothing else did before.
I was little at the time, and i couldn't pinpoint what was it exactly, but i remember seeing this family friend play it and being like in a fucking trance, eyes glued to the screen, mouth open.
Something clicked when i saw you could actually swim freely underwater, it gave me a sense of exploration and freedom that i hadn't felt bofore, playing a videogame.

Lol, it may sounds stupid now, but for me, it was a powerful thing at the time.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sonic3_4_1189529960_640w.jpg

This is the game that got my brother and I into gaming in a serious way, and also helped us turn around our rocky relationship. We owe this game so many hours of our youth, and we've still got pretty much every level layout memorized.

Mine was definitely Rolling Thunder 2. My introduction to the series was Rolling Thunder 3. So I ended up playing the series in reverse. I would play RT2 a few times every week for such a long time. I can't even remember how long.

I would make challenges for myself such as beating my own score, no deaths, no continues, etc. I learned crazy patterns tht would allow me to finish the game without damage! My friend, who also had the game, and his brother were amazed. They were like, "How did you figure this out??!"

I'd tell them where to stand to make enemies move to a certain spot making them an easy target, how many hits each enemy took so you could conserve ammo, patterns for killing final boss with no damage, etc.

I swear I have a touch of OCD. :lol

JJD

I guess it was Final Fantasy VI.

I also had a weird fixation with an old genesis game called Chakan the forever man. For the longest time I thought it was the coolest game ever.

I played it again recently and it wasn't nowhere as good as I remember...

JJD

Genesis Knight said:
Beyond Oasis.

Probably the most in-depth combat system ever made for a game of its type, and the attention to detail in the art is staggering. I LOVE this game. The sequel\prequel on the Saturn was 'meh' IMO.

Just wrote an article about it: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/oasis/oasis.htm

Hey, you're the owner of Hardcore Gaming 101????????? I LOVE your site man!

I loved Beyond Oasis too, but I can't remember if I ever finished it!

zlatko

Banned
I don't know the game from my childhood that was THE game. All the games I played when I was young sort of just melded together and the first that truly stood out for me wasn't until Super Mario 64 and Zelda Ocarina of time. Up until then any NES/SNES/Genesis game just didn't captivate and draw me in, although I had plenty of fun with them.

I know when Super Mario 64 hit nothing was really the same going forward. :)

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I did love this:

300px-Jet_Set_Willy_Cassette_Cover.jpg

... because it is one of the greatest games ever created by human hands. Honestly, if you've never played it, you really should. It is funny, clever, utterly bizarre, and seriously difficult.

Jet_set_willy_we_must_perform_a_quirkafleeg.png

Jet_Set_Willy_2-The_Final_Frontier.png

I also absolutely loved the Willow Pattern Adventure. Surely, the first - and last - video game ever to be based on my Grandma's crockery.

26441.png

ranmafan

Two games for me would fall into the "that game" territory. The first was Pitfall on the Atari 2600. The whole game blew me away at such a young age. My imagination really ran wild when I played that game and even today Ill pop it in and the memories flood back. Always fun to try and get every gold piece.

The second was Final Fantasy VI. I played that when it first came out in 94. At the time I was in high school and was also getting into anime and Japanese culture. The game blew me away with its story and its deep world. It had such an impact to me that I fell in love with RPGs at that point and it was a major thing in getting me to want to learn Japanese and Japanese culture. And it was also something that eventually led me to move to Japan.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
2j10a3n.jpg

2wrg0ox.jpg

I remember there were some partial walkthroughs in a magazine I read around the time they both came out. The Shadowrun one had maps of all the cities plus some mission info, and the Shining Force 2 one walked you through the first couple of hours (I think through the part where you leave Granseal?).

I remember reading them over and over before I even played the games thinking about how incredibly interesting they sounded. Then I rented both at the same time and played the hell out of them all weekend. It was my first experience with RPGs that I can remember thinking about them as something different. Looking back I think I played a fair number of WRPGs before that, stuff I had downloaded for free off of the America Online game boards, but those were just "games I played" not "RPGs, a different genre than I'm used to."

It was after that point that I actively sought out games under the heading of RPG. Set me off on a lifetime of playing RPGs.

Sinoox

Banned
Definitely Ocarina of Time, it was the first 3D adventure game I played. I rented it at blockbuster out of hundreds of games and played the shit out of it. Eventually I bought the game when we could afford it and I beat it... after like a year... I was seven....

The feeling that game gave me playing through it the very first time; it was completely mesmerizing and it took over my life. The environments and amount of things to discover back then seemed endless. The story was just as exhilarating, what with the whole time traveling stuff going on. Turning into an adult after struggling for what seemed like an eternity to my seven year old mind was a lot more shocking than I had anticipated from the start screen. Hyrule was suddenly ravaged and everything was edgier; the game took a sudden dark tone from its perceived lightheartedness. It gives you a feeling as if you're losing your childhood innocence when it forces you to rethink everything and accept all the chaotic changes in the future. After I finished through Ocarina of Time the series has stuck with me and playing through each new game is like continuing a meaningful tradition.

GenericUser

since many of the games i adored when i was a child were already mentioned, i will go with this:

32308-Landstalker.jpg

I did not own a super nes and i never cared for it. Mega drive was my baby and when i discovered landstalker my mind was truly blown away. I played story of thor (oasis) and shining force before, but landstalker was the game that i have the fondest memories for.

The graphics are just so charming and warm and for the time, the game itself had incredible depth. The isometric view was also new for the time and required a lot of skill
and luck
to to get used to. I still shed a tear here and there when I think about the fact that there probably wont be a remake or a successor ... ever :(

some more pictures (just grabbed some from google so please dont complain about the quiality):

land_stalkerus001.jpg

LandStalker-2.jpg

landstalker.png

_woLf

I mostly found myself playing multiplayer games more when I was younger, so most of my childhood went into these two games on N64.

BAR_gamebox.PNG

Supersmashbox.jpg

However, the single player games I did play were Star Fox and Super Mario World. I played NES, Sega, SNES etc, but I didn't find myself gaming as much as I do now until SSB and Beetle Adventure Racing came along. Hours upon hours of multiplayer goodness.

EDIT: oh, and Mario Party. Man, I broke so many controllers doing the control stick spinning minigames...

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Genesis Knight said:
Beyond Oasis.

Probably the most in-depth combat system ever made for a game of its type, and the attention to detail in the art is staggering. I LOVE this game. The sequel\prequel on the Saturn was 'meh' IMO.

Just wrote an article about it: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/oasis/oasis.htm

This game has one of the strangest most non-sense made up "translations" ever. Like, it doesn't match the original japanese text at all.

Moaradin

_woLf said:
I mostly found myself playing multiplayer games more when I was younger, so most of my childhood went into these two games on N64.

BAR_gamebox.PNG

Supersmashbox.jpg

However, the single player games I did play were Star Fox and Super Mario World. I played NES, Sega, SNES etc, but I didn't find myself gaming as much as I do now until SSB and Beetle Adventure Racing came along. Hours upon hours of multiplayer goodness.

EDIT: oh, and Mario Party. Man, I broke so many controllers doing the control stick spinning minigames...

Those two games were my life.

Baptizer

Neo Member
Gateway_to_Apshai_%28Epyx%29_%28Tape%29_Front_Cover.jpg
Gateway_to_Apshai1.png

Gateway to Apshai....back in the day, we used to stay up all night playing this game. I think we played it for 20 hours straight and never came close to beating it.

LogicStep

Alex the Kidd on the Sega Master system. It was the first game I ever played and I played it everyday and my mom helped me beat the bike stages because I couldn't do them. I never beat the game though I saw the ending on Youtube not too long ago and it was a complete disappointment.

squall211

There were a few games that were "that game" growing up, in the sense that these were the games all the kids talked about:

SMB 3
The Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punch Out

As for me, I would play any and every game I could get my hands on, but only one solidified my future gaming habits:

Final Fantasy.

Gustav

Banned
250px-Wing_commander_iii_box.jpg

That was the first game I sunk hours and hours and hours into.

The first game that really made an impression on me was this one though:
commodore-amiga-flashback.jpg

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Hyphen said:
Lionheart - 2D action/adventure/platform game for the Commodore Amiga...

k4bhiv.jpg
2agw710.jpg
2zfoakp.jpg

16gfxqc.jpg
2af0292.jpg
o7n2pv.jpg

image0006.jpg

Such insane graphics for a simple Amiga 500. Incredible how much they got out of the color pallette for that one.

Top Bottom