• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

During your childhood, what was "that game"?

DeVeAn

Tambini said:
280px-Sonic_The_Hedgehog_-EUR-.PNG

I'm a bit younger than most of GAF but nevertheless my parents bought me a megadrive,
( probably because they were cheap by this point ) and I fell in love with this game at the age of 6.
Ditto!

Brannon

Dragon Warrior(Quest?) for the NES.

It's the game that got me into RPGs. I remember buying it from a pawn shop and when I put it in, it just looked so wonky; I had no idea what was going on. Why is there another enemy on another window and where is my character? Why are all these words and numbers here? I can't see an attack and blah blah at the time it was so esoteric. But for some reason I pressed on and slowly figured everything out, and then my imagination filled in the gaps that the NES could not. I could swear I remember seeing dungeons as clearly as I can see them in games like King's Field. The love came slowly, but it never left.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
There have been many. Edit: I shall preface this by saying that many of the games which I would classify as "those" games are games that made me care about: a) artstyle, b) platforming, c) narrative in an RPG, d) exploration and e) power-ups and multiple maps. I could not put them down after getting into some of these aspects, and I've stuck to replaying them for years after first playing them because I enjoyed them so much.

Although Final Fantasy IV was the first game to ever make me care about the narrative in a game, Genso Suikoden and Genso Suikoden II cemented it. Reposting my comments from another thread:

lif1A.jpg
0CpXA.jpg

"These Suikoden titles are what I would choose to exemplify the spirit, tone and atmosphere of Suikoden. The soundtracks are extraordinary, and the narratives in these games range from joyful to heartbreaking, peaceful to depressing, and fun to teeth-clenching. Not only are the battle systems/rune systems fun to tinker with, but the large-scale battles are generally interesting and a nice way to create tension (with GS2's narrative in the lead). It continues to be my favourite game series of all time. :D"

I guess you can say that because I played the Genso Suikoden games in my youth, they had a profound effect on what kind of RPGs I enjoy very much (especially in terms of the narrative and themes involved in the game's narrative).

I spent insane amount of hours playing and replaying Pokemon Blue and Yellow, just like nearly everyone else in the thread. Then there was Gunstar Heroes, which was just way too incredible to not keep playing over and over.

trinest

None.

I did want Spyro cause it was a dragon and was cool but my brother convinced my dad we should get a 64 and then we got Zelda and that was cool but I never got to play it much and the only time I could play the games was when he was sick of them or it was a multi game :/

Accuarly I might go with Pokemon Red/Blue but really at the end of the day it didn't give me the omfg feeling like the OP was discribing- it was a good game for its time though.

Unicorn

Frost_Ace said:
This game defined a generation of gamers. The amount of reposts of this game in this topic is all the indication needed.

This game got me to give handhelds a shot. To give RPG's a shot. And if I wasn't already into Magic: The Gathering at the time, probably would have gotten me into TCG's as well. There was nothing else like it at the time, an RPG where every player had a way to almost infinitely customize their "gear" and still have a fighting chance. an RPG with a robust PvP system, trading, and "builds." To think of this impact that this game had for the generation that played it, and after, is crazy. This game was addiction. The physical, identifiable entity for addiction.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The first such game was, of course, as if you had any doubts...

ojIUg.gif

Then later came a game that I had played before, but never to completion. I attempted once again, and was sucked in for almost two whole days...

6tCdu.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fusebox said:
So true, imo anyone who lists more than one game just answered 'No' to this thread.
Not necessarily. People play games from many different genres, and there are certain things they were amazed with in many different games.

To define your future gaming tastes with one game alone is quite difficult, especially if you've played a multitude of titles before.... and if you play many different games from many different genres currently.

Fusebox

Banned
Thread isn't 'post all the times a game has amazed you' though is it? It seemed fairly straightforward to me, if you didn't have that amazing one game experience like others did then no point trying to change the question to fit your twenty-game reply.

Chemo

Blaster Master. I thought it was the future of games, and here we are, a billion years later, and it's still one of the best. Ahh well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fusebox said:
Thread isn't 'post all the times a game has amazed you' though is it? It seemed fairly straightforward to me, if you didn't have that amazing one game experience like others did then no point trying to change the question to fit your twenty-game reply.
Very well. Edited.

I personally would like people to explain why these games had such a profound effect on their future gaming tastes, however.

Fusebox

Banned
Don't edit on my behalf, maybe nobody else agrees!

And my one game didn't so much effect my future tastes as define it. My one game was Elite on the C64 and when I finish this post I'll go back to playing Galaxy on Fire. Buy, fly, sell, just needs the docking music!

Fusebox said:
So true, imo anyone who lists more than one game just answered 'No' to this thread.
I'd say it's because back then, there wasn't just "that one game." There were a bunch of really amazing games that came out that helped shape what we (or at least I) play today; giving credit to just one game for something of that scale just doesn't seem right.

QP3

For single player it was Pokemon Yellow.

When i had friends over, it was Super Smash. We put countless hours into that game.

Eyeh4wk

SyNzB.jpg

English isn't my native language, so the amount of time I spent playing this was largely due to translate all the research techs.
And I really learned a lot about ancient characters and events.

AaRCb.jpg

My 8 year mind was blown when I defeated the machine gun guy (thinking he was the last boss)

and I had to fight my doppelganger, plus 2 player mode.

Rock_N%27_Roll_Racing_Cover.jpg

One of the first racing games I played, and the soundtrack was godly. It led me to this song. What more can I say.

Fusebox

Banned
Disgaeamad said:
I'd say it's because back then, there wasn't just "that one game." There were a bunch of really amazing games that came out that helped shape what we (or at least I) play today; giving credit to just one game for something of that scale just doesn't seem right.
This depends on when your "back then" was and how many games your family could afford. I had "that one game" in my childhood. I had other games at the time, but only one of them was THE game.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
DeSo said:
You know, the game that you couldn't put down, everything about it just blew your mind, it defined your future gaming taste.

I think for me it was Need for Speed on the 3DO. Although I was about 22yrs at that point and been gaming since I was 7, it was the closest I'd experienced to a 'sim' style racing game at that point that was enjoyable and exciting. I played the shit out of that for months. Driving/Racing games are my primary genre now.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Fusebox said:
Don't edit on my behalf, maybe nobody else agrees!
Nah, you're right. I mostly stick to platformers and RPGs, so I had to stick to one genre in the end for this thread. Went with RPGs in the end since that was limited to two games which I consider sister titles. No worries. :)

Eyeh4wk

Oh, it's one game only? Since I saw people posting more than one, I just went with the flow.
So just Double Dragon 2 I guess.

Fusebox said:
This depends on when your "back then" was and how many games your family could afford. I had "that one game" in my childhood. I had other games at the time, but only one of them was THE game.
Things just got complicated! But yeah, I can see where you're coming from there. Guess it just all comes down to personal experience.

Lemming

Hey everyone! I feel a bit oldish seeing some of the posts here.
I´m currently 27, started playing on the atari when i was 3-4, and i remember being scared shitless of a Friday 13th game on that console. It was probably just a sticky red figure moving haha :(

Anyway, the really good memories were on the pc, a couple of years down the road.
My taste pretty much was defined by those 3 games: adventures, strategy and shooters.

Simon The sorcerer! MORE STEW!
First adventure/talkie that i finished all on my own, while learning english. took me a long time, but it was worth it.
Still holds up, if anyone enjoys oldschool talkies :) Amazing soundtrack, btw.
screenshot968-1.png

X-Com TFTD.
Colony assaults kicked my ass. KICKED MY ASS. :(
I played it for a LONG time and never finished it. Kinda sad, since I loved the game.
Later on I discovered that the first xcom was way easier. Should´ve started on that one.
6104_0.jpg

Wolfenstein 3D
My first FPS. I only had the shareware version, played the 1st episode "a couple" of times.
Doom came later on and, well... almost 20 years later and i still love fps.
467403-wolfenstein-3d-pc-98-screenshot-a-typical-wolf-3d-large-hall.png

ColonelVirus

Neo Member
Ha wow. I have some defining moments as a kid.

My first ever gaming experience was on PC playing Indiana Jones and the Lion King (booting from MSDOS). Good times.

01.jpg

Then I moved on to playing a knight top down game, but I can't remember what the hell it was called. This would have been around 1993-95.

The Amazing Spiderman for the sega was my next biggest game, man I loved that game so much. Metal Gear Solid probably defined my gaming at around the age of 11. Game was mesmerizing.

spide_02.gif

Then I moved onto playing CS 1.1-1.6 heavily for years, basically all the way up until Halo came out. From then on halo was my game, competed at WCG :D

download-counter-strike-1.6-free-300x225.jpg

halo_combat_evolved_003.jpg

Good times, I'd love to go back and relive my youth growing up playing these games when they were the pinnacle of gaming.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Unicorn said:
This game defined a generation of gamers. The amount of reposts of this game in this topic is all the indication needed.

This game got me to give handhelds a shot. To give RPG's a shot. And if I wasn't already into Magic: The Gathering at the time, probably would have gotten me into TCG's as well. There was nothing else like it at the time, an RPG where every player had a way to almost infinitely customize their "gear" and still have a fighting chance. an RPG with a robust PvP system, trading, and "builds." To think of this impact that this game had for the generation that played it, and after, is crazy. This game was addiction. The physical, identifiable entity for addiction.

Took the words out of my mouth. It's easy to look back at Red/Blue and think, "How quaint. Some tiny little handheld RPG-lite for kiddies with a ton of glitches." Heck even back then some called it a fad.

But it was so much more than that. It was a revolution. You don't get to second-highest-selling franchise worldwide on the backs of gimmicks and shallow gameplay, you get there by having incredibly varied and fun initial games, right out of the gate.

It's incredib(ly weird) to think that 7 and 8 year old today are still buying Pokemon (Black/White) in droves, and to think that it's defining them the same way it defined us 15 years ago.

Pyccko

I played this bastard literally every day from the age of 4 to about 10. And most of that on one track: Tennessee. Don't ask me why.
I don't think I could really tell you why it connected with me so much, but I just couldn't put it down.
All through the PS1 days, I'd just keep coming back to this game.
Probably because, well goddamn, blasting a motorcycle cop in the face with a chain is pretty satisfying.

It's still my number 1 favorite game of all time, I pull out the old Genesis every couple months to give it a go.

Top Bottom