• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

V_Arnold

Wow, so Microsoft totally and intentionally dropped the ball on all MMO's on Xbox 360. Amazing how they force every developer out of their platform, after realizing that they are better off with customers buying new software every x months.

(And the funny thing is that this statement is even "true" if Dust still manages to come to 360.).

ram

god - why on the hell should i want such stuff on console. even with the concept, which is destinied to fail, and the ultra generic look, why is such a game on console in the first place.

WrikaWrek

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Wow, so Microsoft totally and intentionally dropped the ball on all MMO's on Xbox 360. Amazing how they force every developer out of their platform, after realizing that they are better off with customers buying new software every x months.

(And the funny thing is that this statement is even "true" if Dust still manages to come to 360.).

Looking at this generation...MMOS have been failure after failure on consoles.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
HK-47 said:
Hello, makers of EVE here. Tons of cash from extremely stable MMO.

Like we haven't seen unsuccessful products put a huge hurt on a company this generation. You think FFXIV hasn't hurt SE after they had tons of cash from FFXI? PS3 after the huge success of the PS2? Even Blizzard would feel the hurt if their next MMO struggled. EA would be hurt like a mofo if TOR struggled as well.

V_Arnold

WrikaWrek said:
Looking at this generation...MMOS have been failure after failure on consoles.

Not sure that I get what you mean. There was not too many MMO's to begin with. DC Universe, FFXI port, and that is about it. So...

KKRT00

ram said:
god - why on the hell should i want such stuff on console. even with the concept, which is destinied to fail, and the ultra generic look, why is such a game on console in the first place.
Yeah lets play another ten COD clones ...

This game is so awesome conceptually and is being made by really smart and hardcore oriented company without any publishers above their heads and limited budget.

How is this generic looking game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYkuZLxAWBo

Ps. And news about ccp being at sony press conference is quite exciting and surprising.

Kintaro said:
Like we haven't seen unsuccessful products put a huge hurt on a company this generation. You think FFXIV hasn't hurt SE after they had tons of cash from FFXI? PS3 after the huge success of the PS2? Even Blizzard would feel the hurt if their next MMO struggled. EA would be hurt like a mofo if TOR struggled as well.
Completely different situations and CCP is constantly growing. They've got more than 500k subscriptions, so 7,5 millions dollar revenue per month.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kintaro said:
Right now EA is actually predicting a profit this fiscal year even if SWTOR doesn't launch until late Q1 2012.

Also, DUST has largely been developed in China, so I can't imagine it has been especially expensive.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
V_Arnold said:
Not sure that I get what you mean. There was not too many MMO's to begin with. DC Universe, FFXI port, and that is about it. So...

I think its more apt to say "how many MMOs were planned to come out on console this generation...and how many actually have?"

A lot of planned ones, only two made it out (if you care to count old ass FFXI).

Jenga

Banned
uh

by ps3 exclusive they mean console exclusive right

no pc version would be the dumbest thing i've ever heard

WrikaWrek

Banned
Acosta said:
What MMos for console?

Well, DC online, MAG, canceled projects like that spy game from Sony, and the Marvel game by MS.

From the top of my head, and canceled projects must be a dime a dozen. Consoles aren't there yet imo.

MS did good in not pursuing MMO gold this gen, because there isn't any.

Dennis

Banned
wait

wait

wait

PS3 exclusive?

As in regards to consoles? Like PC + PS3 but no 360?

PC version yes or no?

If it is really just PS3 there are not enough facepalms in the world.

That rabid PS3 EVE fanbase.....yeah...no..

WrikaWrek said:
Well, DC online, MAG, canceled projects like that spy game from Sony, and the Marvel game by MS.

Free Realms is also out.

Everquest 3 looks like it'll be on PS3 too. Probably a ways off.

DennisK4 said:
wait

wait

wait

PS3 exclusive?

As in regards to consoles? Like PC + PS3 but no 360?

PC version yes or no?

No PC version...

This will be DOA on PS3 only I guess.

V_Arnold said:

Yeah MMOs on consoles have made a lot of money.

/sarcasm

V_Arnold

Kintaro said:
I think its more apt to say "how many MMOs were planned to come out on console this generation...and how many actually have?"

A lot of planned ones, only two made it out (if you care to count old ass FFXI).

Yeah, this is what I am saying also. A lot of project seemed badly handled because MS's patching rules. There was even a thread about this (still amongst my subscriptions, huh :D )
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372578

eGThA.jpg

Fucking beautiful shot.

It isn't confirmed as to whether there will be a PC version or not. However, I think it's very likely that there will be a PC version. CCP aren't idiots.

Acosta

WrikaWrek said:

From the top of my head, and canceled projects must be a dime a dozen. Consoles aren't there yet imo.

MS did good in not pursuing MMO gold this gen, because there isn't any.

MAG is not MMO. I would argue that DC Online has not "failed" (an MMO doesn't "fail" until it´s closed or cancelled, their life cycle is different than a normal game and get constant revenue.)

Failing at getting some of the games with bigger potential revenue is hardly something to cheer from a business viewpoint.

lilltias

If this is a PS3 exclusive and if Dust players will take orders from EVE then the word console peasant will take on a whole new meaning.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Acosta said:
MAG is not MMO. I would argue that DC Online has not "failed" (an MMO doesn't "fail" until it´s closed or cancelled, their life cycle is different than a normal game and get constant revenue)

Failing at getting some of the games with bigger potential revenue is hardly something to cheer from a business viewpoint.

MAG isn't an MMO?

It's pretty close though, you just don't pay to play. Anyway, the point is that it's too early, the market isn't there, the infrastructure isn't there.

It's not as simple as just doing it like they do on the PC. It was imo, smart of MS to not play the MMO card.

Acosta

lilltias said:
If this is a PS3 exclusive and if Dust players will take orders from EVE then the word console peasant will take on a whole new meaning.

A game where demi-gods PC players orbit around in colossal ships while console peasants shoot in the face of each other for a bunch of isks. The concept is beautiful indeed, lol.

Acosta

WrikaWrek said:
MAG isn't an MMO?

It's pretty close though, you just don't pay to play. Anyway, the point is that it's too early, the market isn't there, the infrastructure isn't there.

It's not as simple as just doing it like they do on the PC. It was imo, smart of MS to not play the MMO card.

I understand your point, but in my opinion, not trying, and not having flexibility for letting others try -which is the problem here-, is a pretty shortsighted position and a conceptual flaw of Live.

DennisK4 said:

No way this doesn't also get a PC version also, but I don't get why it would be facepalm worthy for it to be PS3 only. This won't be marketed exclusively to EVE fans, it will also include marketing to fans of shooting dudes in the face in space, a surprisingly large demographic or so I've heard. It's an experiment in connecting two very different player types via one game universe- I reckon the EVE interaction will probably be just a bullet point on the back of the box, the up-front feature CCP will try pushing will be the part where you shoot dudes.

EDIT: I'm assuming this doesn't have a subscription. Also, I suppose when you look at MAG and SOCOM and other MP-focused shooters on PS3, er, you may have a point. :lol

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Kintaro said:

You said go up in smoke. Which is retarded. Its unlikely this cost anywhere near SWTOR besides that. Even if this bombs, EVE will cover it. The people that play it dont have an alternative.

renitou

Such potential. Love reading about the EVE universe. Perhaps this will bring gameplay more to my taste along for the ride.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Acosta said:
I understand your point, but in my opinion, not trying, and not having flexibility for letting others try -which is the problem here-, is a pretty shortsighted position and a conceptual flaw of Live.

I think it's understandable that you can't just flip a switch and Live suddenly is the best thing ever for MMOS.

MS has their philosophy, and Live has been a huge success. With time they will need to accommodate, because MMOS will eventually become huge on consoles too.

I don't think it's short sighted right now, and hell, you always have the PS3. A successful MMO doesn't need multiple platforms. I don't believe we can fault MS for the unsuccessful efforts of MMOs on consoles.

Acosta said:
MAG is not MMO. I would argue that DC Online has not "failed" (an MMO doesn't "fail" until it´s closed or cancelled, their life cycle is different than a normal game and get constant revenue.)

DCUO didn't fail, but it definitely isn't as big as it could've been. I'd say a lot of that came down to SOE's mind boggling decision to not make the servers cross platform.

Acosta

SolidSnakex said:
DCUO didn't fail, but it definitely isn't as big as it could've been. I'd say a lot of that came down to SOE's mind boggling decision to not make the servers cross platform.

Hard to argue otherwise, terrible mistake indeed, I don't really understand it.

I wish SOE was better, I wish they do an awesome job with PlanetSide Next, but, meh. Someway they seem to have a tendency to screw.

KKRT00

Green Scar said:
EDIT: I'm assuming this doesn't have a subscription. Also, I suppose when you look at MAG and SOCOM and other MP-focused shooters on PS3, er, you may have a point. :lol
CCP concept for Dust514 was f2p with micro-transactions, but it could change.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Funny I was thinking about this game just the other day, in a "what the hell happened to that game" kind of way.

If really PS3 exclusive, more chances to be Move compatible. :)

Couldn't look more by-the-numbers if it tried. I'm interested in games like Journey: this looks to be on the other end of the spectrum.

Acosta said:
Hard to argue otherwise, terrible mistake indeed, I don't really understand it.

I wish SOE was better, I wish they do an awesome job with PlanetSide Next, but, meh. Someway they seem to have a tendency to screw.
STORY TWIST: Dust 514 *IS* Planetside Next.

KKRT00

Acosta said:
Ubi conference is in some hours I think, I guess we will know more there.

I hate myself for the easy pun because I love CCP, but what was the last FPS exclusive to PS3 and published by Ubi?
Where did You get info that Ubi is publishing this?

Slime

Banned
Assuming the rumor is even remotely true, I don't think it would be 100% PS3 exclusive. Probably PC + PS3, and no 360 release because of Microsoft's "no cross-platform play" policy. FFXI obviously didn't adhere to that, but I'm pretty sure it was just the exception to the rule.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PS3 exclusive? Even as a PS3 owner, I find that DUMB.

You start a new series, you want to release it on ALL platforms. Instead they'll have to play catchup with 360 owners later on when the game doesn't sell as much as they hoped for.

Exclusivity deals are really not smart.

Top Bottom