• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust 514 [PS3/PSVita] (EVE Online FPS/MMO) - Update #2: Art, Info, E3 Trailer, F2P

Ether_Snake said:
PS3 exclusive? Even as a PS3 owner, I find that DUMB.

You start a new series, you want to release it on ALL platforms. Instead they'll have to play catchup with 360 owners later on when the game doesn't sell as much as they hoped for.

Exclusivity deals are really not smart.

It's a MMO, so how are you going to make it successful on the PS3, 360 and PC if you can't make it cross platform with all three? If you're making a MMO then it needs to be able to link to a PC version of that game.

Afrikan

Game looks amazing!...and I don't usually like the look of UE3 type games....Really looking forward to the game. I don't take it as being a peasant being ordered around by PC gamers, more like a team. If a little Nerdy PC guy goes emo, I'm sure players will just leave a game/section(?) or vote him off or something.

if polished right and marketed well, it could be a system seller.

to Eve Online players

A27 Tawpgun said:
Is the Xbox Network really that bad? I know its the reason we don't have the Portal 2 swag, but damn...

Nothing to do with bad. MS just wants tight control to make sure that everything runs smoothly and securely. MMO publishers want more freedom hence no MMOs at the moment.

Metalmurphy said:
Damn. Can't get more official then that.

Hope they don't cancel the PC version though :/

I highly doubt it will be console exclusive. The EVE name and fan base is on PC. They will have to be complete idiots to ignore the PC crowd. Most likely it will be about cross play or such between PS3 and PC which they won't get with Xbox Live if anything.

But if it's not on PC, CCP shot themselves in the foot.

So while the EVE players are flying around in orbit, the DUST players are running around on the ground? This sounds interesting. DUST itself looks exactly like Call of Halozone though, I wonder what they'll do to make the actual shooter component unique outside of the tie-in to the existing EVE universe.

I'm sure the super hardcore players will be playing EVE on their computers and DUST on their PS3s at the same time. This will add new meaning to the term 'dual-boxing'.

Mindlog

...a bunch of boring irrelevant additions...

Planetside facility Mega-Doomsdays a dreadnaught.

bahahahaha
CCP is trolling EvE players.
TheExodu5 said:
So many people don't realize just what the game entails.
Yeah, all those ISK values were completely irrelevant. Alliances could crap out that ISK in 1 round of botting.

The video should have been 32 tanks dropping.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm so very disappointed at the reaction for Dust 514. It looks fantastic.

Unknown Soldier said:
So while the EVE players are flying around in orbit, the DUST players are running around on the ground? This sounds interesting. DUST itself looks exactly like Call of Halozone though, I wonder what they'll do to make the actual shooter component unique outside of the tie-in to the existing EVE universe.

I'm sure the super hardcore players will be playing EVE on their computers and DUST on their PS3s at the same time. This will add new meaning to the term 'dual-boxing'.

It fits the world of EVE perfectly, though.

Even if it plays like other shooters out there, the integration with EVE is what will set it apart. Players could get hired by corporations in EVE to take over planets. What should be interesting is that the economy and objectives should be completely player driven. That's a pretty significant game changer.

Cels

SolidSnakex said:
Sony will call it a PS3 exclusive even if it's coming to the PC. That's how they handled the FFXIV announcement.

There's no way that Dust 514 is not coming to PC.

TheExodu5 said:

Too busy fawning over the sequels to the most overrated games released this gen.

If CCP needs a reason to release this on pc, they just need to look at the grotesque reaction in that sony conference thread.

f0rk

TheExodu5 said:

They didn't sell it at all. Did the guy even say they made Eve?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
f0rk said:
They didn't sell it at all. Did the guy even say they made Eve?
Mentioned it. They didn't explain any connectivity at the conference. Sony thread was just "oh, another space marine shooter".

TheExodu5

Banned
fizzelopeguss said:
Too busy fawning over the sequels to the most overrated games released this gen.

If CCP needs a reason to release this on pc, they just need to look at the grotesque reaction in that sony conference thread.

Such a shame.

They really should have given a better introduction to it though...they should have explained what EVE was and how it would interact with Dust 514.

Dust 514 is one of the most ambitious ideas, created to tie in with the most ambitious MMO out there. It's the most exciting thing we've seen at the conference so far.

TheExodu5 said:
Such a shame.

They really should have given a better introduction to it though...they should have explained what EVE was and how it would interact with Dust 514.

Dust 514 is one of the most ambitious ideas, created to tie in with the most ambitious MMO out there. It's the most exciting thing we've seen at the conference so far.

Seriously, the implications of it makes all the other class based console shooters announced today look downright primitive.

I play EVE and I'm a member of the master race, so naturally. I want to lord over console gamers. It's a life long dream of mine to make console gamers die for me

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
MrPing1000 said:
I play EVE and I'm a member of the master race, so naturally. I want to lord over console gamers. It's a life long dream of mine to make console gamers die for me

This man gets it. It's only fair that I should fight and die for the PC crowd, or threaten my friends' corporations with my gross incompetence on the battlefield.

Planetside Next just got schooled before it even arrived.

remnant

Banned
TheExodu5 said:

Seriously.
People are freaking over BF3 and MW3, two games that are practically identical while Dust 514, a game that is actually trying to do something really new and different is just "another shooter"

Some artwork:

GwkN5.jpg

14BpE.jpg

p64JL.jpg

erMYA.jpg

okibM.jpg

3NLl0.jpg

alD2T.jpg

dMWMr.jpg

ODjJh.jpg

EMkDE.jpg

MrPing1000 said:

Keep on being smug when the console players fire off that planetary doomsday laser and fry your whole corp's fleet in orbit over the planet.

samdavis

Neo Member
Unknown Soldier said:
Keep on being smug when the console players fire off that planetary doomsday laser and fry your whole corp's fleet in orbit over the planet.

I really hope that can happen.

I don't play many computer games but being a massive Sci-fi fan, EVE appealed to me quite a bit and while I don't know if I'm ready to jump into the game yet, the inter-connectivity between that and Dust could be amazing.

The reveal caught me completely by surprise and was definitely the coolest one of the Sony conference. I just hope that there's no chance of them dumbing shit down for the console crowd.

darkwing said:
wow what if I subscribe to EVE, can I play Dust too?

I don't think at this point even CCP knows how they're going to price this thing, or how they will bundle the service for people who want to play both EVE and DUST.

Mindlog

Some stuff
The Virtual Goods Economy

A strength of EVE Online is the depth of its economy. We are taking a similar approach to DUST 514, though we will do so carefully, with a slow integration of economic activity between both titles. (Fun fact: CCP employs two economists to oversee the EVE universe’s virtual economy, one for EVE Online and another focused on DUST 514.)

Virtual goods will be a major part of the in-game economy, and our business model for DUST 514 is built upon digital distribution and virtual goods transactions rather than following the traditional boxed games model. In fact, that’s another key thing that led us to abandon the FPS label in the first place — as a persistent shooter, our approach to creating and operating DUST 514 is more like an MMO. We will continually develop and improve upon DUST 514, but that won’t be funded by going the ‘map pack sales’ route. DUST 514 will have free expansions, and that development will be funded through virtual goods sales. Plus, everyone likes having customization options, right?

The virtual goods themselves will provide all manner of weaponry and defensive technology, vehicles, and more. This perpetual arms race will provide DUST players with variety in their gameplay and an array of virtual goods that supports a chosen playstyle.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/06/introducing-dust-514-a-persistent-shooter-from-ccp/

I really hope they limit the amount of EvE ISK that can be poured into Dust. I have no idea hey they're going to manage 23/7 and unbalanced sides in a shooter.

I'm getting flashbacks to that fight at the start firefly episode one where all the browncoats are left to die by their superiors, browncoat console peasants muahahaha.

i'll be one of them, i MUST try this game

Man

The most pleasing aspect of the demo was the flow and gun mechanics. Seemed well tuned and animated. I didn't expect the devs of Eve to nail that actually.

The Shift

Banned
What a shame - my corpies and I were at least going to get the xbox version considering there is no PC Master Race version announced which would have been the preference. If only CCP didn't cheap out on the extended access to Live intergration services like EA/Activision/Epic/Ubisoft/Square/SEGA/THQ amongst others.

I have met possibly hundreds of 360 owners in Eve over the last 2 years and not one PS3 owner. Eve-O forums are getting hammered right now for this fiasco - kinda feel sorry for the 2 or 3 PS3 owners over there.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
I just texted my Scandinavian EVE friend 'There goes the neighbourhood.' About fifteen seconds later: 'Can we start burning you out from orbit already?'

This could be the beginning of a beautiful war.

The Shift said:
I have met possibly hundreds of 360 owners in Eve over the last 2 years and not one PS3 owner.

Even better! The barbarians are coming.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Shift said:
What a shame - my corpies and I were at least going to get the xbox version considering there is no PC Master Race version announced which would have been the preference.

It's coming out on PC as well. They even said that PS3 and PC players will share the same universe. Not sure if this means they can actually play side by side as well.

Top Bottom