• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

This is so tough for me. I already bought Dust and played for an hour and a half, totally in love with the game. The problem is I bought Darksiders 2 and I'm totally in love with it as well. Between working and trying to balance my girl with two games, is killing me. I'm going to have to flip a coin and see which game I go through first.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Damn, got a 236 hit combo just before getting into Aurora village for the first time. This game is great.

zulux21

When all else fails, check your notes!

but the notes aren't voiced over so it means I actually have to read :p

Really though the game is great, it's the most enjoyable game I have played since Ghost Trick last year. (my personal 2011 GOTY)

It's for the most part running flawlessly as well, which is nice to see from a first first release. The only issues I have run across is that my music has gone wonky while in the shop a few times (it plays like it is having trouble buffering... aka play a second or two then pause for a second then play a second or two) and my gamer pic on my save has issues loading from time to time. Aside from that it's been perfect.

I do need to figure out the trick to dealing with (enemy)
the guys who float around and spawn zombies. I can't get them with my sword as they teleport and they take forever to kill with my projectiles. Plus the exploding zombies hit so hard @_@... I have like 400 defense and 700 life and I am getting 1 shot by them lol
My current strategy with them is hide in a corner and quickly run away so I can advance to an area without them lol

Mengetsu

Jeez this game..Looks and sounds so good. Im sad I only have enough points for the next episode of The Walking Dead on my 360. Im happy to see such hard work for these indie developers pay off. Much deserved. Can't wait to eventually play this.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Found a friend, wasn't sure where it's supposed to be from:

Duck, in a robe, with headphones on. Took me a minute, but the game music was by HyperDuck :lol

Just want to add some praise. I'm about 30% through it and I keep going back to old areas to try out new abilities. That Metroidvania feeling...

This, along with Outland and Shadow Complex, proves once again that a 2D platformer can be quite viable. That it's basically a one man project makes it even more impressive.

By the way, is there a point to these friends, or should I save my keys for actual treasure until endgame?

Noogy

Just want to add some praise. I'm about 30% through it and I keep going back to old areas to try out new abilities. That Metroidvania feeling...

This, along with Outland and Shadow Complex, proves once again that a 2D platformer can be quite viable. That it's basically a one man project makes it even more impressive.

By the way, is there a point to these friends, or should I save my keys for actual treasure until endgame?

Friends actually give you a permanent 5% health boost to your current max HP (at every point from then on), so they're definitely worth it.

And thank you for the comments. Surprising how few 2D games in this genre you see on the major DL services.

I do need to figure out the trick to dealing with (enemy)
the guys who float around and spawn zombies. I can't get them with my sword as they teleport and they take forever to kill with my projectiles. Plus the exploding zombies hit so hard @_@... I have like 400 defense and 700 life and I am getting 1 shot by them lol
My current strategy with them is hide in a corner and quickly run away so I can advance to an area without them lol

Upgrade Fidget to at least 3-4 levels and then use the lightning spell + Dust Storm to quickly take them down, just keep an eye out for the enemies they spawn.

zulux21

Upgrade Fidget to at least 3-4 levels and then use the lightning spell + Dust Storm to quickly take them down, just keep an eye out for the enemies they spawn.

thanks for the response ^^
I ended up putting my last 6 levels into it lol. When I posted that original statement I only had 3 points in it, it was my lowest skill thus why it was taking so long... now I can drop them in like 5 seconds lol. the trick I was missing was just damage output :p

Well, I finally finished this earlier today, and oh man, was that a journey. Right from the get-go, you can see that Dust's movement is so fluid and well animated along with the great art direction in the level design and backgrounds. For the most part, I thought that the characters designs and enemy designs were very good aside from a few villagers which didn't seem to have the same detail and memorable design that Dust and Fidget had.

Then you get to the combat which makes you feel like you are truly becoming more and more powerful as you progress. Once you acquire the mid-air Dust Storm ability, the combat begins to feel surprisingly intricate yet effortless, but above all, it was just plain fun. It never felt like the combat took up too much of my playtime nor too little. Its implementation was seamless and well-paced yet I always wanted more because of how fast and fun I realized that it was.

What I didn't expect from Dust: AET was a surprisingly well told adventure with clever writing. There's a lot of funny and witty dialogue in this (usually from Fidget), but there are also a few emotional scenes that thankfully didn't draw too much attention to themselves though they were effective nonetheless.
Bopo's
brief storyline was probably my favorite of the side stories which wouldn't have been the same had the scenario played out differently or the voice actress was absent. I think you and Alex Kain deserve plenty of props for the writing side, Noogy.

With all of the downloadable games that I play each year, it takes a lot for one to truly stand out among the pack for me. Shadow Complex did that 3 years ago and then Super Meat Boy did that not too long after. Dust: AET rised above the other games this year and last year with its passion, polish, writing, and fun that just oozed from every moment. Hell, it's even better than most retail games that have come out this year!

You crafted something truly great, Noogy. Congrats!

Scrum

First of all: Thanks Noogy and the rest of the team for a wonderful game.

Really good game and the story is really fun.

I especially like when you find the radiothingy and you hear from the blacksmith.
You: Where are you calling from?
Blacksmith: From beyoooond the graaaave.
Fidget: Oh no a demon blacksmith, thats the worst blacksmith of them all!

I'm only 30 % clear but its a promising beginning and I will enjoy the rest of it with a smile on my face.

Fjordson

The story is surprising me. Not that I thought it'd be bad, but it's definitely not as simple or as "light" as I thought it'd be. Really cool.

The writing is great also. Some nice humour sprinkled on top of the more serious plot.

I tell you the thing that really surprised me about the story, that I'm not sure I've ever felt in a game before (minor ending spoilers)

I actually kind of felt sympathy towards Gaius, not to his cause, but to the man himself.

Rad Agast

Friends actually give you a permanent 5% health boost to your current max HP (at every point from then on), so they're definitely worth it.

And thank you for the comments. Surprising how few 2D games in this genre you see on the major DL services.

Wait a sec, so does this mean that maximum health bonus is achieved by not investing any points in it till you find all 12 friends?

Dabanton

So this game had my attention for like 5 hours this morning crawled into bed at 6.00am

I love it. As expected. :) but whats surprised me is both the great voice acting that really sell the performances and the really dry humour in some places.

The combat is delicious truly delicious 'that' sound as your combo meter builds up is awesome.

And I've barely dipped in the game yet. I can only imagine whats coming.

Noogy

Wait a sec, so does this mean that maximum health bonus is achieved by not investing any points in it till you find all 12 friends?

No no... you don't have to think about it. Just upgrade your health normally. Friends will always add a bonus on top of that.

100 HP will become 105 HP. 1000 HP will become 1050 HP. It's automated, it's not like you can 'screw yourself' out of bonus HP by rescuing a friend at a wrong time.

Rad Agast

No no... you don't have to think about it. Just upgrade your health normally. Friends will always add a bonus on top of that.

100 HP will become 105 HP. 1000 HP will become 1050 HP. It's automated, it's not like you can 'screw yourself' out of bonus HP by rescuing a friend at a wrong time.

Aha thanks.

Feindflug

OK played almost 3hrs yesterday and all I have to say is that I loved what I played! the game looks simply gorgeous especially the attention to detail is amazing, the sound is great with pretty good VA and beautiful music and most important of all the game plays amazingly smooth - the controls are super responsive and fighting feels really satisfying, especially the parrying is fuckin' amazing once you figure it out..feels so good to destroy two
stone giants
for example without getting hit (I'm playing on Tough). Can't wait to play more tonight!

Oh and btw Fidget = <3. ^_^

Majora

My only real gripe from a gameplay perspective so far is that crafting has been completely redundant for me. All the best blueprints I've found, at nearly 50% done, are far worse than the best loot I've gotten from chests or the best items I've bought from the merchants. Money hasn't been an issue so I've been able to buy the best of everything as it appears. Nothing major, I've just had no reason to go back to the blacksmith.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just one hidden achievement left to go! So far been playing for 12 hours. No idea what this last achievement is though..

EDIT: And that is all of them! That was fun the first game in a while I have bothered to get every achievement.

Total Playtime: 12:54:13

eso76

just as good as i was hoping it would be. Even better probably.

i'd go as far as claiming
it's the second best xbla game for me
it's a very good reason to own an x360
it's the best Metroidvania since Sotn :p

Bought it today and wow never thought that the combat would be that deep after followling the process of the game for so long. At first it seemed to be a nice game like Odin Sphere, then it evolved into a metroidvania and now it almost has the deep combat of a dark souls.

Oh and yeah Fidget is adorable.

Noogy

Wow, congratulations!

Were there any expectations on sales?

To be honest? I never once thought about sales :p I mean, I'm thrilled that anyone is buying the game, because I really made it for me. It's just nice to know there are others who like what I like.

Now Chris, I lied to him and told him we'd do a million sales in the first hour. It's the only way HyperDuck would create the music for me.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
Hi Noogy, I must have had my head stuck under a rock or something because I didn't know about this game until a mate told me about it yesterday.

I really love the game, the fluid animations, and how much fun it is. It's inspiring stuff. I had a chance to redeem a key but I decided to buy the game to support your work :)

BTW is there an interview or page that details all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into development the game?

Please accept my congratulations for releasing such a fine title.

7/10 on Eurogamer, spoilers, if you still want protecting from them!

Doesn't sound like the reviewer played that far though, and the big complaint is that the game's too easy on normal but he doesn't bother acknowledging (or trying) the higher difficulties.

Noogy

Hi Noogy, I must have had my head stuck under a rock or something because I didn't know about this game until a mate told me about it yesterday.

I really love the game, the fluid animations, and how much fun it is. It's inspiring stuff. I had a chance to redeem a key but I decided to buy the game to support your work :)

BTW is there an interview or page that details all the blood, sweat, and tears that went into development the game?

Please accept my congratulations for releasing such a fine title.

Thank you :) I actually did an interview with Polygon which should be going up soonish. I'm also at the early stages of a post-mortem for Gamasutra.

Finally, I just did an interview with IGN's Podcast Unlocked which follows this adventure in a nice bite sized format.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/16/podcast-unlocked-ep-67-voices

S1kkZ

finished the game, took me about 14 hours to get 100% (on normal).
i really love it, fantastic game and one of the best xbla games of all time.

congrats noogy!

Dabanton

That's interesting. I've actually never played much of that game, although I was heavily influenced by Dragon's Curse which I absolutely adore.

You know what I was just thinking that this morning. I loved that game.

The sense of exploration certainly feels the same.

Feindflug

Doesn't sound like the reviewer played that far though, and the big complaint is that the game's too easy on normal but he doesn't bother acknowledging (or trying) the higher difficulties.

So he didn't even try Tough? the game is much more fun and the combat feels more strategic than normal...I guess it was too much work for him to change the difficulty.

BTW Noogy I'm waiting for that premium theme we were talking about. :)

God, I wish there was a screenshot feature on Xbox, game is so beautiful and I could post pics of areas where I'm not sure where the treasure is.

Like, here above Mudpot on the surface there is meant to be a treasure, I have the floating geyser opened. There's no ladder below, no slide passage. What am I missing?

ibmiVp2otchhsR.jpg

Noogy

Comments on that page seem to be pretty supportive of the game, so there's always that ;) Really, out of the 50+ reviews I've read, only 3 have been below 80%. While I would love if every review was a 90 or more, I can't complain.

I'm incredibly honored whenever a good review comes in, but it's nothing compared to hearing comments from happy customers.

God, I wish there was a screenshot feature on Xbox, game is so beautiful and I could post pics of areas where I'm not sure where the treasure is.

Like, here above Mudpot on the surface there is meant to be a treasure, I have the floating geyser opened. There's no ladder below, no slide passage. What am I missing?

ibmiVp2otchhsR.jpg

There's two ways to accomplish this.
The first is simple, you don't have the proper ability, which you'll earn later. The second is that you can actually sequence-break this, although it's not really story related. Think of what tools you have availabe, and what creatures are around.

Finally, I'm getting on the Premium Theme as soon as possible. Been swamped with stuffs.

That's actually not too bad for Eurogamer to be honest. Still, reviews done by other folks only mean so much. The near universal acclaim here means a lot more.

Wonko_C

ibmiVp2otchhsR.jpg

How did you get it open? I can't find any exploding fruit around.

Those zombie summon things are annoying as fuck, nothing I would do stopped them teleporting, what's the trick to them?

How did you get it open? I can't find any exploding fruit around.

You have to take a fruit from about 2 screens below, you have to be really quick. I have that area blown up also but I am guessing
you get some kind of resist air skill.

H3xum

That was my one concern which is why I'm going to start off on tougher right out of the chute. I hope that doesn't ultimately frustrate me out of the box

C
There's two ways to accomplish this.
The first is simple, you don't have the proper ability, which you'll earn later. The second is that you can actually sequence-break this, although it's not really story related. Think of what tools you have availabe, and what creatures are around.

Interesting, ok.

Now how the hell do I do this Cliff wall jumping to get to the girl?! I try to slide down a little to get to the top near the spike, but the one where you have to go directly horizontal with spikes up and down is impossible! Now I forgot how to even make past this first few spikes, can't get to the top right one!

ibbKfTgDWYN2LA.jpg

Oooo, wonderful.

off topic-ish.

Changing difficulty on the fly is one of the best things to come out of this generation.

Can't wait to dedicate my rainy weekend to this game!

Tough is pretty much a good fair challenge. Not too difficult and not too hard. Definitely start on that.

Top Bottom