• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dust: An Elysian Tail |OT| Become the Storm

I am a self-admitted "harsh" reviewer. I hate the compressed review scale (10 = great, 9 = pretty good, 8 = okay, 7 = bad). I would have given Final Fantasy XIII a 2/5 or 2.5/5, for instance.

I wouldn't include a number at all if G4 didn't make me. = P
Well, if you use the full scale I can agree with that score, sadly, no one interprets it that way so your review is bascially a "stay away" sign to a lot of people.
Anything below a 8 is bad in 2012 video game world. Either it's totally awesome or it sucks ass. No room for grey, sorry, we only like black and white.
I can somewhat understand that. If we completely forget about numbers, a scale of "great/ pretty good/okay/bad" is completely sufficient as a summary of the points you made in your review. The problem is that a 10 point scale exists, not how it is used.

4 - Very good. Games that are at the top of all our lists, but are missing that strange intangible aura of perfection, and unfortunately that's keeping them from getting in the realm of the almighty five.

To me, this is a more accurate score for "dust"

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I still haven't sat down and started playing this game yet.

I am everything that is wrong with NeoGAF.

Dartastic

Ok. I'm going to crack and buy this, because I don't want to try and hope for more code giveaways. Problem is, I have to be SUPER careful with my money these days due to my just graduating/searching for a job. Is there a way to just buy the remaining 960 points I need, or do I have to buy 15 dollars worth of Microsoft Points? UGH. I hate these things.

DaBuddaDa

Problem is, I have to be SUPER careful with my money these days due to my just graduating/searching for a job. Is there a way to just buy the remaining 960 points I need, or do I have to buy 15 dollars worth of Microsoft Points? UGH. I hate these things.

Sorry but you can't buy points in chunks other than what Microsoft decrees. Unsolicited advice: if $15 is breaking the bank, don't buy video games.

see5harp

I have the same issue, I'm just going to buy $10 and then redeem some of my Bing Rewards. I have my iPhone, iPad, macbook, and desktop all set to Bing search now. It's pretty bad lol.

Dartastic

Sorry but you can't buy points in chunks other than what Microsoft decrees. Unsolicited advice: if $15 is breaking the bank, don't buy video games.
Oh, I know. I have a small income right now, so I'll just have to sacrifice in some areas. I thought there was a way to get smaller chunks of points than that...

DaBuddaDa

xbox.com, below your avatar.

Are you in the US? They might sell points at different tiers elsewhere. On Xbox.com I see this:

PJOIN.png

Lima

Boost a super jump when in an upward air current.

Thank you.

So that is how you get up to the really high places to rescue some of the friends.

You know what I did to get to them? Well I lured the monsters to it and slashed them up in the air and used the aerial dust storm to go after them and get a nice upwards boost.

That was probably not how it was intended. Now that I think of it. I like my method more, more skill involved hehe.

Santiako

Not anymore, that's gone. It only shows 800 and 1600. I vaguely remember it being through Zune or something.

Weird, it shows for me.

I'm in Spain, so maybe the US doesn't get that option.

Thank you.

So that is how you get up to the really high places to rescue some of the friends.

You know what I did to get to them? Well I lured the monsters to it and slashed them up in the air and used the aerial dust storm to go after them and get a nice upwards boost.

That was probably not how it was intended. Now that I think of it. I like my method more, more skill involved hehe.

Haha, that's how I got
Spelunky's woman
as well.

branny

I normally use Amazon for codes. They have points available in 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2400, and 4000 chunks.

I have 560 points right now and was going to get Guardian Heroes, but you guys seem to really like Dust. :p

I normally use Amazon for codes. They have points available in 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2400, and 4000 chunks.

I have 560 points right now and was going to get Guardian Heroes, but you guys seem to really like Dust. :p

Yea, I use Amazon as well. Was just about to post that, hehe.

I would definitely recommend Dust...especially over Guardian Heroes.

Thank you.

That's pretty much what I do all the time! lol

Card Boy

Banned
Im purposely not upgrading my Strengh because I want to pull off high combos without killing enemies, unless there is a good farm spot to get that 1000 achievement? Highest I got was over 500 on 2 giants at the start of the game.

Santiako

Im purposely not upgrading my Strengh because I want to pull off high combos without killing enemies, unless there is a good farm spot to get that 1000 achievement? Highest I got was over 500 on 2 giants at the start of the game.

You'll do higher combos with Fidget.

I started on Hardcore and SO FAR (49% into it, 4 hours) it isn't that bad. Feels like the perfect difficulty IMO.

A few things gave me trouble but for the most part, I've been doing well. Dodging helps you out so, so much.

Here are my stats at the moment:

Level 18
HP: 1029
Attack: 374
Defense: 129
Fidget: 38

Santiako

I upgrade the Fidget stat? Or you talking in general? Because that's how I got to 500 because of Fidget.

Go to the graveyard and do fidget power (fire or electric) + Y or Y in the air where there are a lot of zombies and you'll get it pretty easily.

Noogy

One thing I don't think anyone has mentioned... there is a pendant that nerfs your attack pretty severely. Might have some sort of use.

There is actually a pendant in the game called the "Ugly Pendant" that drastically reduces Dust stats by wearing it. It's own item stat changes are x0.1 Attack, x0.1 Defense, and x0.1 Fidget. That should really help you lengthen out your combos.

Heh, same wavelength.

There is actually a pendant in the game called the "Ugly Pendant" that drastically reduces Dust stats by wearing it. It's own item stat changes are x0.1 Attack, x0.1 Defense, and x0.1 Fidget. That should really help you lengthen out your combos.

Edit - Beaten heh.

branny

Finally gonna start playing tonight.

I had some combat gripes in the demo, but I really want to give this game a chance. All the positive impressions certainly don't hurt, either, haha.

goldenpp72

I have a question, i'm at the end (got to the last boss I assume) and I didn't get the achievement for the canons.. is that missable? How many canons are there?

So.... sorry if this has been documented elsewhere in this topic, but I'm in chapter 2, maybe 2 save points in. I try to advance to the next area and the game quits out and takes me to the My Games menu. I've had this happen twice now in the exact same spot.

Known issue? Anything I can do?

zulux21

So.... sorry if this has been documented elsewhere in this topic, but I'm in chapter 2, maybe 2 save points in. I try to advance to the next area and the game quits out and takes me to the My Games menu. I've had this happen twice now in the exact same spot.

Known issue? Anything I can do?

I know it's been mentioned and I am not 100% sure this is the fix, but try switching to a default gamer pick if you don't have one currently. I know that it's been mentioned that some gamer pics are messing with the game in a weird way. I think the default one is fine though.

I am not sure if it will fix your problem, but it's not to hard to change your pic so I won't waste much of your time if I am wrong ^^;

zulux21

Ha. I tried it and the game shut down while I was trying to load a save.

Yikes.
indeed Yikes, sorry I can't offer any more advice.
Hopefully someone else knows how to fix it with out needing a patch. It seems most people aren't getting that error though.

It might be the type of problem that a survey would be needed.
how many friends do you have, how much dlc do you have, what model system and hard drive ect and try to find a common link... or maybe Noogy already knows why it is happening and is working on fixing it... I have been busy the last few days so I am a bit behind on Dust talks ^^;

Tawpgun

So I'm at the end, the final battle.

How?

I'm getting my asked kicked. Don't have enough money for food. Should I try and go back and do a bunch of side quests/find new swag? Truth be told, I never really used the forge at all.

The mammoth guy is a dickhole

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK.

PRO TIP. If you progress through the level, DO NOT GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS AREA TO SAVE. FOR SOME FUCKING REASON ALL THE MONSTERS RESPAWN ALL OVER FUCKING AGAIN.

zulux21

EDIT: WHAT THE FUCK.

PRO TIP. If you progress through the level, DO NOT GO BACK TO THE PREVIOUS AREA TO SAVE. FOR SOME FUCKING REASON ALL THE MONSTERS RESPAWN ALL OVER FUCKING AGAIN.

You got to the end of the game with out coming across that o_O: No wonder you don't have money for food. If you are having issues I would go hunting for some items and locate (item)
the rings that increase drop rate, or gold rate and just farm for a little bit to obtain food. Personally I haven't had much need for food for a while since I have regen 26 or so, so I have quite a bit of food. Beyond that I just use wall chickens as I find them at a quicker pace then I use them lol

People were talking about XBL points earlier...I just noticed that Gamestop has them as well. 400, 800, 1200, 1600, 2400, and 4000. I thought only Amazon would have those amounts.

That's good to know in case you're sitting on some Gamestop credit and don't know what to purchase.

Time to spend the rest of the night playing Dust!

Lunchbox

Banned
i have never liked and hated a game at the same time before, just by playing the trial

the actual game is so silky and fun to play, down A sliding into trip someone over, launch them up with the wind and then mix in the projectile while bouncing around the screen with triggers. feels so satisfying and makes me wanna instantly buy the game

then the orange piece of shit that floats next you opens its mouth and i wanna strangle the guy who made the game and the voice actor with him. it makes me physically uncomfortable listening to that. its not the dumb things it says, but the way it says it. fuck, i dont wanna support this......then ill miss out on an awesome game

maker, director, producer dude, hope you get hired by a big shot studio that utilizes your talent, but puts you behind a strong strict editor

Tawpgun

Jesus christ the last fight is difficult.

I can style on the general in the first fight, without taking any damage, and then I just get DESTROYED in the second half. Even with a revival stone.

branny

I actually really like Fidget. She reminds me of other parody companion characters in things, like the fucked up fairy played by Felicia Day in Legend of Neil.

Bad7667

I feel like such a dumbass. I bought some MS points on amazon.com to buy this game and didn't even think that I couldn't use them, because I am from Canada, until after I purchased them.

Edit: Amazon gave me a refund. Yay.

G17

The game is crashing quite a bit on the (Section name spoiler)
Sorrowing Meadow
. It hasn't happened on any of the other sections but I've been having random crashes here.

Noogy

The game is crashing quite a bit on the (Section name spoiler)
Sorrowing Meadow
. It hasn't happened on any of the other sections but I've been having random crashes here.

Whereabouts, between map transitions? Or just during regular gameplay? I've read some people having an occasional crash with file access being resolved by clearing out the cache, and several taking an additional step of redownloading.

As for issues regarding a game crashing while loading, a few people have remarked that changing their gamerpic actually resolves the issue. Who knew that gamerpics could become corrupted? Another suggested that transfering the save to the cloud helped. I'm documenting everything I see for future updates.

G17

Whereabouts, between map transitions? Or just during regular gameplay? I've read some people having an occasional crash with file access being resolved by clearing out the cache, and several taking an additional step of redownloading.

As for issues regarding a game crashing while loading, a few people have remarked that changing their gamerpic actually resolves the issue. Who knew that gamerpics could become corrupted? Another suggested that transfering the save to the cloud helped. I'm documenting everything I see for future updates.

It's rare so it shouldn't much of a problem but it's occurred in the beginning of the level near the aurora npc (forgot the name..augustin?), and during a 900 hit combo in mid-air right after the first save point on the level.

It's rare and only on the beginning of this level so far so I doubt it will be a problem for anyone playing the game.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
So, hadn't been able to play for a day, finally came back to playing in the underground town area that was seen in the pre-release streams... Ahhh, so good:)

Finally got slide, which feels so good to finally have. Those hidden areas just taunted at me the entire time!

I also have to say I rather liked the design of the boss of the area
"The Lady"
. Found the VA's change in tone from before to after the fight to be pretty well done, too.

---

Oh, and count me as one of those who really liked Fidget; I see her as the perfect 4th wall-breakin' companion; not too annoying, not too serious. For a flying companion that had a voice that I COULD NOT STAND, you should look at the mascot-monster on the Animated show "Huntix". *shudder* Shrill and over-acted, as if the actor tried way too hard to over-portray the characters supposed personality.

It's wonderful in how this game feels so much like a lost gem of the Sega CD or Saturn Eras. From the graphics, to the atmosphere and characterization and themes. Heck, even the UI feels old-world smart, in the way it uses wonderfully readable text, keeps the shopkeeps on screen while shopping, for example.

Something about playing this, is making me the "Shining" series of games... Maybe it's a mix of Ahrah's design and portrait art, plus the animal-charged character designs...

Top Bottom