• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DXR support coming to GTX 10 series cards.

Allandor

Oh, RT can make it to the market. They should have started with something like this and than show their RTX lineup.
Than we could see "oh RT runs so slow … oh RTX is better"
Now we can say "oh RTX is so slow at high resolutions … oh its not getting better". But well, at least it will be available for any "newer" card.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

If performance on the RTX is anything to go by, this is really going to murder performance on the 10-series cards.

So, given that I’m GUESSING performance will suck on the 10-series, I’m also guessing it will encourage people to UPGRADE to the RTX cards when they see the shiny, new graphics. So to me, this feels like a cynical way to get people to upgrade. Nvidia, prove me wrong.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
man i fucking hate team green, such fucking bullshit this

hairworks
gsync
ray tracing
and any other tech they keep in their pocket.
i know why, but in the end us gamers lose.

oh well

Leonidas

Good to see more cards support ray-tracing, but keep expectations in check as non-RTX cards are for "basic RT effects, low ray count" where RTX cards have "complex RT effects, multiple RT effects and high ray count".

The Crytek RT video from the other day gives me hope that card without dedicated hardware can have good results.

Spukc

If I wanted the opinion of a corporate slave i'd ask you hon.

76f458f8b83deb0e2b927c451e74c134.gif

Last edited:

Leonidas

Can't wait to see the benchmarks!

Currently 1080 Ti runs Metro RTX at 18 FPS at 1440p :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Maybe Big Pascal can reach 30 FPS at 1080p in this game.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
man i fucking hate team green, such fucking bullshit this

hairworks
gsync
ray tracing
and any other tech they keep in their pocket.
i know why, but in the end us gamers lose.

oh well

tbh they deserve to keep gsync in their pocket, it's a miracle technology that sufficiently obliterates screen tearing without any added stutter

although there are alternatives now, scan sync via RTSS is in many ways superior to gsync / free / fast

Spukc

tbh they deserve to keep gsync in their pocket, it's a miracle technology that sufficiently obliterates screen tearing without any added stutter

although there are alternatives now, scan sync via RTSS is in many ways superior to gsync / free / fast
agreed but lets not add the + price to f over consumers

Ellery

They had to do it today, because it is expected that AMD is talking a lot about raytracing at GDC in the coming days and depending on the implementation it might offer good results.
I still believe that raytracing is going to be best on dedicated hardware like the RTX 2080 and 2080 Ti, but I am hopeful that we get some noticable but not demanding raytracing on Navi cards and especially next gen consoles.

Hard to have an opinion on that yet because we need to see visual comparisons and fps numbers to make a judgement, but AMD is making a huge effort (I think Lisa Su even talked about ray tracing software and hardware wise before hinting at that AMD will be involved) and so is Microsoft. So it will have some benifits and not be completely unplayable (like the new Nvidia slides want us to believe with games running at 20fps. I would guess those are made to show the new RTX cards favorably maybe by running ray tracing as the highest possible settings or something else. No big surprise given they want to sell new expensive RTX cards).

Whatever it is going to be it can't be bad for me, because the the RTX prices are too high anyways. PC gaming doesn't have the big games. At the end of the day it is about the God of Wars, Uncharteds, The Last of Us, Bloodborne, Death Stranding and so on. I am not going to pay 1250$ just to be reminded that I can't activate Nvidia RTX in the best games.

rəddəM

The power of that CryEngine RT demo running on Vega 56, hum?
Just when NVidia thought they would make every1 think RTX 2080Ti GIGARAYS was the only way to get Ray traced games.
Nice try, at least they managed to push it and I love the few applications we got so far.
Ray Tracing is going to get cheaper and cheaper it seems.
I vote for Next gen consoles having it.

Last edited:

Spukc

Looks like leather jacket at NVHQ has heard grumblings of the coming consoles doing RT-RT?

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

The entire RTX range does have the stench of poorly binned enterprise parts being flogged to gamers.
my problem is that it is mostly salty gamers that cry their (new) card got old.

like ps4 pro vs xbox one x etc.

manfestival

Probably means the end of rt cores and tensor cores in the next series.
It will probably strengthen the case for it actually.
It is a huge tax on performance even with the dedicated RT cores. It is heavy enough that I do not even bother in BF5. Rather have my non shiny experience since... I can barely tell

Last edited:

El Sabroso

damn, I wanted DLSS, but hey ray tracing

this could help them to market RTX cards a little more and see more adoption from games so, hope it improves later

Well I mean it will run like shit on my 1080 Ti but I would only be checking it out to see the technology and not expecting to seriously complete games. It's not like more than 2 games support it anyways lol

Last edited:

Shifty

Neat. I've been wanting a way to fiddle around with RTX development on my current card.

As for gaming use? I don't see it.

Nydus

Can you elaborate what scan sync is? Never heard of it.

Zenaku

This could open up RT testing to a lot of indie developers who lack the latest and greatest hardware. We could see it implemented in smaller games without the enormous graphics requirements of the AAA output.

I'll look forward to testing this out in UE4.

TaurezAG

It'd been nice if it was possible to offload the RT stuff to a dedicated card. Otherwise, this is useful for screenshots unless you have a Titan V I guess.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The power of that CryEngine RT demo running on Vega 56, hum?
Just when NVidia thought they would make every1 think RTX 2080Ti GIGARAYS was the only way to get Ray traced games.
Nice try, at least they managed to push it and I love the few applications we got so far.
Ray Tracing is going to get cheaper and cheaper it seems.
I vote for Next gen consoles having it.
Keep in mind that there are a lot of limitations in that CryEngine demo. There are plenty of objects which do not reflect at all and some of the reflection exhibit artefacts. It also only seems to showcase mirror reflections rather than glossy reflections. It's not as robust or complete as BFV's implementation, basically.

However, I think it's 'good enough' and fast enough to work well as a solution. It would be a much better solution than solutions such as SSR right now and more viable, perhaps.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
pascal owners: Fk RTX!! we want RTX too!
nvidia: here you go then
pascal owners: it sucks!!!
nvidia: buy an RTX card then.

seriously though. i don't buy a card then complain when something new and more powerful comes out. face it Pascal is old tech and just not meant to run ray tracing. if you want RTX then buy RTX.

Pascal remains by far the best generation of graphics card produced by Nvidia.
have fun with your raytracing then. you think it's bad on RTX cards just wait until you play on a pascal card.

if Nvidia hadn't fucked up the RTX launch (pricing/failures etc) then Turing would wipe the floor with Pascal. the cards themselves are great and an improvement on Pascal.

the thing is Turing feels more just like a revision/refresh of pascal. maybe Pascal is the better value but they definitely aren't the best cards nvidia have ever produced. the best cards for gaming nvidia have ever produced are Turing. OK the performance might not be a huge improvement but like i just said they are more of just Pascal + RTX (so a revision). 7nm will be when we get huge improvements in performance.

Last edited:

Gamezone

Gold Member
Wasn't RT the only unique thing about the RTX cards? What's the difference between a 1080Ti and RTX 2080 if both support RT?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Wasn't RT the only unique thing about the RTX cards? What's the difference between a 1080Ti and RTX 2080 if both support RT?
no.

RTX + Tensor cores. pascal cards will be able to do raytracing but not DLSS or anything else that relies on tensor cores.

other than that the 2080 is more power efficient/quieter/cooler and performs better dependant on the game.

Last edited:

Teamhelperjr

Neo Member
AMD should undercut NVIDIA by releasing a stand alone Ray tracing card like PhysX cards way back when. Plugs into an empty slot and works with any gfx card

rəddəM

Keep in mind that there are a lot of limitations in that CryEngine demo. There are plenty of objects which do not reflect at all and some of the reflection exhibit artefacts. It also only seems to showcase mirror reflections rather than glossy reflections. It's not as robust or complete as BFV's implementation, basically.

However, I think it's 'good enough' and fast enough to work well as a solution. It would be a much better solution than solutions such as SSR right now and more viable, perhaps.
It's true and I agree.
But for me it's very impressive tech considering it wasn't THE (NVidia) way of doing it. Just by not having SSR occlusion artifacts and being somewhat RTed on a Vega 56. It* just shattered the notion that* RT was only possible with render farms and RTX. Now GTX are getting it too.
Can't wait for NEXT GEN.

Last edited:

Leonidas

nVidia did a good job convincing people that tensor cores are somehow dedicated hardware for ray tracing.

RT cores are dedicated hardware for ray-tracing. Cards without RT cores(or similar) are using software for ray-tracing. People who were convinced you needed tensor or RT cores for ray-tracing weren't paying attention.

Last edited:
nVidia did a good job convincing people that tensor cores are somehow dedicated hardware for ray tracing.

The tensor cores are just for dlss upcaling. Which is a complete waste of silicon as it looks worse than native res and we have a great technique called temporal injection by Insomniac, no special hardware needed.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The tensor core isn't for ray tracing but the RT core is absolutely dedicated hardware for ray tracing. What the heck else would it be?

Ascend

RT cores are dedicated hardware for ray-tracing. Cards without RT cores(or similar) are using software for ray-tracing. People who were convinced you needed tensor or RT cores for ray-tracing weren't paying attention.
The tensor core isn't for ray tracing but the RT core is absolutely dedicated hardware for ray tracing. What the heck else would it be?
The RT cores are ASICs on the Tensor core. But to somehow classify RTX as the hardware solution, and the rest as 'software', is borderlne dishonest, especially when nVidia's own earlier GPUs offer hardware acceleration for ray tracing, including in the professional space.

The lines are being blurred here. Because generally, the whole definition of hardware acceleration is; "the use of computer hardware specially made to perform some functions more efficiently than is possible in software running on a general-purpose CPU."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_acceleration

But now we're at the point where if a dedicated ASIC is not present, we start seeing it as a software implementation...?

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
The RT cores are ASICs on the Tensor core.
They are unrelated.

But to somehow classify RTX as the hardware solution, and the rest as 'software', is borderlne dishonest, especially when nVidia's own earlier GPUs offer hardware acceleration for ray tracing, including in the professional space.
RTX is hardware-accelerated raytracing. Clearly not everything is carried in hw -- shaders, for instance, will always remain as 'general purposes' code on the cuda cores.

The lines are being blurred here. Because generally, the whole definition of hardware acceleration is; "the use of computer hardware specially made to perform some functions more efficiently than is possible in software running on a general-purpose CPU."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardware_acceleration
Replace 'CPU' with 'GPU' and this is very much what RTX does -- it hw-accelerates parts of the raytracing pipeline which parts are carried as gen-purpose code on other GPUs.

But now we're at the point where if a dedicated ASIC is not present, we start seeing it as a software implementation...?
That's the very definition of 'software implementation'.

Last edited:

pottuvoi

Banned
For me the rasterization differences were at least as interesting as additions of RT/Tensor cores.

Mesh shading pipeline is very promising and I do hope we will see games using it. (Should give nice performance advantage with same or better image quality.)
Some new features for easier implementation of texturespace shading.
Variable Rate Shading can give nice boost in performance and depending on how it is used may be nearly invisible on final image. (IE. areas which have heavy DoF do not need shading per pixel.)
and so on.

Rasterization saw biggest changes in features for a long time.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
Can you elaborate what scan sync is? Never heard of it.

scanline sync makes tearing disappear while keeping frame times consistent, and input lag is minimal

it's probably my favorite driver level function ever, every pc owner should be using it

Nydus

scanline sync makes tearing disappear while keeping frame times consistent, and input lag is minimal

it's probably my favorite driver level function ever, every pc owner should be using it
I tried reading the tutorial but it's not easy to understand :( does it replace gsync/freesync? Is there a more easy guide then on blurbusters?

Goff2k

Hah and here I am looking at some 2080ti cards. I look forward to trying out ray tracing at low settings.

Top Bottom