• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light PC Performance Thread

Thought I'd get this started

Game unlocks midnight PST according to steam.

via Steam
MINIMUM:
OS: Windows® 7 64-bit / Windows® 8 64-bit / Windows® 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2500 @3.3 GHz / AMD FX-8320 @3.5 GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM DDR3
Hard Drive: 40 GB free space
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 560 / AMD Radeon™ HD 6870 (1GB VRAM)
DirectX®: Version 11
Sound: DirectX® compatible
Additional Notes: Laptop versions of graphics cards may work but are NOT officially supported.
Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)

RECOMMENDED:
OS: Windows® 7 64-bit / Windows® 8 64-bit / Windows® 8.1 64-bit
Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-4670K @3.4 GHz / AMD FX-8350 @4.0 GHz
Memory: 8 GB RAM DDR3
Hard Drive: 40 GB free space
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 780 / AMD Radeon™ R9 290 (2GB VRAM)
DirectX®: Version 11
Sound: DirectX® compatible
Additional Notes: Laptop versions of graphics cards may work but are NOT officially supported.
Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller (Xbox 360 Controller for Windows recommended)

Update 1/27 :

- Lowering the FOV improve performance
- Assuming something is wrong with the patch

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/dying-light-test-gpu.html
http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Dying_Light-test-dl__1920.jpg

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-Dying_Light-test-dl__proz.jpg

Update 1/28

Reddit tweaking guide, thanks to FLAguy954

Update 1/29

As Requested

Found a fix over at reddit.

Credit goes to fireundubh for the CA and quickshot101 for the filmgrain

I'll spare you guys the labor, but explain what you need to do.

You extract SteamApps\common\Dying Light\DW\Data0.pak using winrar, ( these pak files hold a lot of other settings, so you savvy people can probably find other cool stuff in there )
and then place the relevant files in your dying lights "my document" folder.

The correct path for the CA files will be
Code:
yourdocs\DyingLight\data\postprocess\include\

You basically comment out these lines - 1425-1438 in main.ppfx
Code:
1425	//If("f_pp_aberration_on", "", "", "", "") 	 	
1426	//{ 	 	
1427	// if(e_path != SM31) 	 	
1428	// { 	 	
1429	// SetRenderTargetsView("_4_BLUR_TEMP", ""); 	 	
1430	// SetBuffer(8, "4_RGBA16F_B"); 	 	
1431	// Mesh("quad_screen.msh", "copy.mat", "std"); 	 	
1432	// } 	 	
1433	// 	 	
1434	// resolve(0, "/32"); 	 	
1435	// SetRenderTargetsView("_4_BLUR", "noresolve"); 	 	
1436	// SetBuffer(8, tex_0); 	 	
1437	// Mesh("quad_screen.msh", "screen_aberration.mat", "std"); 	 	
1438	//}

As well as line 1378-1387 in renderloop.ppfx
Code:
1378	//If("f_pp_aberration_on", "", "", "", "") 	 	
1379	//{ 	 	
1380	// SetRenderTargetsView("_2_RG11B10F_A", ""); 	 	
1381	// SetBuffer(16, "2_RG11B10F_B"); 	 	
1382	// Mesh("tri_screen.msh", "copy.mat", "std"); 	 	
1383	// 	 	
1384	// SetRenderTargetsView("_2_RG11B10F_B", ""); 	 	
1385	// SetBuffer(16, "2_RG11B10F_A"); 	 	
1386	// Mesh("tri_screen.msh", "screen_aberration.mat", "std"); 	 	
1387	//}

Here are the results

Files to remove CA -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2349952/RemoveCA.rar
Files to remove film grain -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2349952/removefilmgrain.rar

Update 1/30

Sorry just for stealing quotes from the thread, at work and don't have access to much :/

Patch notes:

1.2.1 patch notes (Windows & Linux)
• numerous performance optimizations, both general and configuration-specific, that resolve many performance problems
• compatibility fixes – related to language and regional system settings
• fixes a number of crashes in various situations
• blocked cheating by changing game’s data files
• new issue tracking mechanisms (-safemode switch, additional logs, minidumps always, full dumps on request)
• numerous audio compatibility fixes
Bug fixing:
• resolved disappearing inventory in a save game in specific circumstances
• resolved blocked using of items after breaking reloading of shooting weapon
• removed weapon duplication glitch of throwable weapons
• limited camera field of view on cutscenes when in-game FOV set to other than default
• lowered frequency of docket availability information
KNOWN ISSUES WE ARE WORKING ON:
• performance issues of systems based on the AMD processor
• freezes when using Nvidia DoF
• unsatisfactory performance on multi-GPU systems
1.2.1 Linux specific patch notes:
• added keyboard support for unicode characters
• fixed crashes (when unplugging game PAD controller, on landing movie)
• fixed primary weapon HUD selection via mouse controller
• fixed input system performance (along with mouse wheel)
• fixed v-sync in windowed mode
• fixed fullscreen support
• fixed game process priority
• fixed water reflection
• fixed in-game menu map background
• fixed characters faces morphing (chatters)
• fixed missing (yellow) materials, i.e. sense mode, bushes, rocks
KNOWN LINUX ISSUES WE ARE WORKING ON:
• the game does not launch on some systems (i.e. Linux Mint)
• the game does not work with Radeon cards
• some rendering/OpenGL performance issues
• too intense blur effect

DAT 780!!

Lock if dying

Vash63

Anyone try the Linux build yet? I almost bought day 0 when I saw that announcement but I'm afraid of a gimped port like the original Metro 2033.

Corpekata

Banned
Totalbiscuit saying on Twitter the game is currently performing much worse all of a sudden. Doesn't seem able to find a cause, and others reporting similar. Might be a bad patch?

Karak

Totalbiscuit saying on Twitter the game is currently performing much worse all of a sudden. Doesn't seem able to find a cause, and others reporting similar. Might be a bad patch?
Also others are reporting no issues and just playing. Its sort of normal I think to be honest.

Karak

Pretty sure it's a bad patch, your framerate doesn't just cut itself in half all of a sudden.

I agree but others are playing fine, some aren't and I don't 100% trust peoples opinions on PC titles and getting them to run well. Not trying to start something, and it probably is an issue but I want a bigger pool to draw from and currently its not the experience I am having.

bbd23

ah classic pre-release meltdown from the PC community. can't wait to test this thing out after work tomorrow :D.

Good luck to those staying up late!.

potam

Banned
I hope running at 1440p doesn't push above 3.5 GB vram

huehuehuehuehueheuheuheuheuehueheuheuheueuheuheuheuhe :(

DrTeflon

I'm pretty sure I know what he's stalking about. The starting area / quick tutorial section I am able to maintain a steady 60+ framerate. AS SOON as I go through a door and properly into the streets, my fps takes a 30fps hit with or without vsync.

At first I thought it was my vsync. Turns out it wasnt (780ti 3GB here and 2500k@4.3/ 16GB RAM).

I think that the city isnt rendered to its fullest while inside the tower (starting area) that's why everyone was so impressed by the framerate.

GHG

Gold Member
Yeh... Think I'll wait for a few patches, an SLI profile and for the game to get cheaper on this one.

Rizific

bought a physical copy from bby so ill have to wait until tomorrow after work. lets see how far this 7950 takes me...looking like not that far at all =(.

DrTeflon

So... here's what I was talking about.

The Rooftop, one of the starting areas (mind you, you see this area like 10 min in, so not a big spoiler) you get something around 120fps+ with no vsync.

Even when inside the tower your framerate stays at 60+/70+.

To get to the street level you need to get into an elevator and then a loading screen pops up.

That's when the framerate goes to shit:

Is this the same area some people were complaining about framerate? To be honest I dont know. Maybe it is, maybe it is not. If my framerate gets even worse, then I dont know what's going on.

Both screens were taken with almost everything maxed out (Draw distance is not maxed out). I've tweaked some settings but saw no performance improvement. Maybe getting one or two frames per second when lowering shadowmaps from high to medium.

My specs are
Core i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz (might be the issue here)
780Ti 3GB
16GB RAM (Can't remember frequency, sorry)

PS: Issues aside I still think this is a fun game and framerate isnt bothering me that much. I also have the newest Nvidia Drivers installed. Maybe this one has a day 1 update that hasnt been released yet.

Edit 2: upon further testing it seems i am able to get 40+ frames per second if I play it with everything off and on 1024x768. So yeah i have no clue wtf is going on.

Was going to post some screens but my internet isnt working right now. Also it seems you cant set textures to lower than "medium" for some strange reason

So... here's what I was talking about.

The Rooftop, one of the starting areas (mind you, you see this area like 10 min in, so not a big spoiler) you get something around 120fps+ with no vsync.

Even when inside the tower your framerate stays at 60+/70+.

To get to the street level you need to get into an elevator and then a loading screen pops up.

That's when the framerate goes to shit:

Is this the same area some people were complaining about framerate? To be honest I dont know. Maybe it is, maybe it is not. If my framerate gets even worse, then I dont know what's going on.

Both screens were taken with almost everything maxed out (Draw distance is not maxed out). I've tweaked some settings but saw no performance improvement. Maybe getting one or two frames per second when lowering shadowmaps from high to medium.

My specs are
Core i5 2500k @ 4.3Ghz (might be the issue here)
780Ti 3GB
16GB RAM (Can't remember frequency, sorry)

PS: Issues aside I still think this is a fun game and framerate isnt bothering me that much. I also have the newest Nvidia Drivers installed. Maybe this one has a day 1 update that hasnt been released yet.

Out of curiosity...what's the resolution?

With SLI being broken, I can for sure say goodbye to 4K for a long while xD

maneil99

Looks like PS4 version for now, PC later on for the eye candy. Did not enjoy the Dead Island port, was a mess.

Vintage

Edit 2: upon further testing it seems i am able to get 40+ frames per second if I play it with everything off and on 1024x768. So yeah i have no clue wtf is going on.

Was going to post some screens but my internet isnt working right now. Also it seems you cant set textures to lower than "medium" for some strange reason

Heh, "Recommended specs" not even enough for lowest possible. Hopefully it's just a bug and will be fixed fast.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Morning all,

Contrary to reports there is SLI support, and to get it you need to update to driver 347.25, then in GeForce Experience 'Check For Updates' to download the new profile.

If you're using GeForce Experience 2.2.2 you don't have to tick any of the boxes on the Preferences tab. If you're on an older version you need to click the SLI profiles checkbox first.

If you wish to manually verify that the update has occurred, the profile bits will be 0x080000F5 after the update.

In other news, I've published my Dying Light Graphics & Performance Guide. All the usual goodies are included, and in this piece we delve into CPU bottlenecking. An update to the article will happen later today with performance recommendations for a variety of GPUs.

Many thanks, and best regards,

Andy

HowZatOZ

Banned
This thread has me worried. I expected a well optimized port*

*none of the previews mentioned framerate problems

It seems to be a problem with the recent update sent out to press/early reviews. No complaints about framrate problems were heard until this update came out.

Morning all,

Contrary to reports there is SLI support, and to get it you need to update to driver 347.25, then in GeForce Experience 'Check For Updates' to download the new profile.

If you're using GeForce Experience 2.2.2 you don't have to tick any of the boxes on the Preferences tab. If you're on an older version you need to click the SLI profiles checkbox first.

If you wish to manually verify that the update has occurred, the profile bits will be 0x080000F5 after the update.

In other news, I've published my Dying Light Graphics & Performance Guide. All the usual goodies are included, and in this piece we delve into CPU bottlenecking. An update to the article will happen later today with performance recommendations for a variety of GPUs.

Andy

why won't you update 4.1 GPUs

my Geforce 220 needs love.

KainXVIII

For example, running around an area on Medium resulted in a modicum of texture pop-in and VRAM usage of around 2GB. Repeating the test on High resulted in zero pop-in and VRAM usage that topped out at 3.3GB, though during longer gameplay sessions usage of nearly 4GB has been observed.
I need upgrade *sigh*

pa22word

Morning all,

Andy

Daaaaamn @ that CPU bottleneck with view distance. Looks Like I'll be dropping that to 60% and running textures on not max (?) because of my paltry 3 GB vram on my 780 :p

Not bad though, can't wait on the game to unpack @_@

ISee

Hmm I think I'll wait a couple of months before buying this and I wonder if this will go down the same road Evil Within went. First bad performance, much later a patch that speed things up + a steam sale.

How things can changes... I once preordered games.

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Daaaaamn @ that CPU bottleneck with view distance. Looks Like I'll be dropping that to 60% and running textures on not max (?) because of my paltry 3 GB vram on my 780 :p

Not bad though, can't wait on the game to unpack @_@

Start with High Textures and see what happens. I think you should be ok if my hypothesis (above) is correct.

Top Bottom