• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dylann Roof gets 9 life sentences for the Charleston Church shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekdrm2d1

Dylann Roof: Charleston Church Shooter Gets Nine Life Sentences in State Case
by Associated Press
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof was given nine consecutive life sentences in state prison after he pleaded guilty to state murder charges Monday, leaving him to await execution in a federal prison and sparing his victims and their families the burden of a second trial.

Judge J.C. Nicholson imposed the sentences following a hearing in which church members and Roof's grandfather testified about the personal toll of the case.

Standing at the defense table with his attorneys, clad in a gray and white striped jail jumpsuit and handcuffed to a chain at his waist, the self-avowed white supremacist entered his guilty pleas

Under a plea agreement, Judge J.C. Nicholson sentenced Roof to life in prison on the state murder charges. The deal with state prosecutors, who also had been pursuing the death penalty, comes in exchange for a life prison sentence on the state charges.

But before sentencing Roof, Nicholson heard members of historically black Emanuel AME Church describe the toll the shooting took on them and their community.

"The impact at Mother Emanuel has been far reaching," said Pastor Eric Manning, who currently leads Emanuel's congregation. "We visit the crime scene every day."

Blondelle Gadsden, sister of slain Myra Thompson, said, "Even though we're at a point where death has been the sentence for him, my heart still goes out to him in hopes that he would repent to save himself from himself. I can't think of anything worse that he could do at this point than to not accept Christ and try to make his days on this earth a little bit more peaceful."

But Eva Dilligard, whose sister Susie Jackson was slain by Roof, said, "I think somebody doing something like that, he should get death. ... I'm very sorry. I'm a child of God. But he hurt the entire family."

The judge also heard from Roof's grandfather, Columbia attorney Joe Roof.

"I want everyone to understand that nothing is all bad, and Dylann is not all bad," the elder Roof said. He added that he and his wife pray for the Emanuel families every night, and are sensitive to their problems.

"We have been distressed and just sick over what has happened to these families," the grandfather said.

Dylann Roof had been unapologetic at his federal trial as he listened to days of testimony from survivors. They described in harrowing detail the hail of bullets that began when parishioners closed their eyes to pray during a June 2015 Bible study at the church known as Mother Emanuel.

After Monday's hearing, Roof, 23, will return to a local jail, while technically in the custody of the U.S. Marshals Service, until he's transferred to a Bureau of Prisons facility "in short order," a law enforcement official with knowledge of the case told The Associated Press.

The official spoke on a condition of anonymity because he wasn't authorized to speak publicly about the case.

Roof will be taken to a federal prison in another state, where he will await his execution on charges of hate crimes and obstruction of the practice of religion.

Roof was convicted late last year of 33 federal charges. He was sentenced to death during a separate proceeding earlier this year. Relatives of each of the nine people killed attended court each day of his federal trial. Some testified with emotion about the voids left by the losses of their loved ones.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...h-shooter-pleads-guilty-state-charges-n744746

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Bye bitch. Enjoy 5 slabs of concrete and iron bars for the rest of your miserable life.

Ric Flair

Banned
Just take him out back and put two between his eyes, shit stain doesn't deserve to eat food not breathe air someone else more deserving could have

i'm against the death penalty for anyone, even this piece of crap.

plus I think he should just stay in a crummy jail cell for life as well.

Strimei

i'm against the death penalty for anyone, even this piece of crap.

plus I think he should just stay in a crummy jail cell for life as well.

While I'm not against the death penalty, I honestly view life without parole as generally the better punishment. Linger and dwell on it, every day, for years.

RPGCrazied

I always think the death sentence is an easy way out. At least now he gets to rot in prison and think about what he has done everyday. It'll be worse then dying.

commedieu

Banned
While I'm not against the death penalty, I honestly view life without parole as generally the better punishment. Linger and dwell on it, every day, for years.

Life in prison is pretty much torture from staff and conditions. I'd imagine he will just learn to hate more before he dies, when he has to join the white supremacists inside to stay comfortable. Not sure self reflection will trump survival. Ideally, he'd be exposed to programs that sees victims of hate crimes in some fashion. And have to help, Some how, For the rest of his life. Rather than getting money from his dad for cigarettes and working out.

Speevy

Banned
He's probably going to get beaten to death within a year.

image.php

MIMIC

Banned
There's no punishment that could that could equal his crimes and reprehensibly, but this will have to do.

Slayven

"I want everyone to understand that nothing is all bad, and Dylann is not all bad," the elder Roof said. He added that he and his wife pray for the Emanuel families every night, and are sensitive to their problems.
Nah

MrNelson

Banned
Looks like he's still going to be executed though. I'd prefer if he just rot in jail for the rest of his miserable life.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
How do these multiple life sentences work? Does it mean that even if he were to be found innocent for some godforsaken reason later he would only get one of them struck out?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom