• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E-Sports League Will Test for PEDs

Via Motherboard
Electronic Sports League (ESL), which is one of the largest eSports organizations in the world, will soon introduce and begin policing performance-enhancing drugs at its events.

The news comes after Cory “Semphis” Friesen, a high level, professional Counter-Strike: Global Offensive player, admitted last week he and other members of his team at the time, Cloud9, used Adderall, a psychostimulant usually used to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), during ESL's $250,000 tournament in Poland.

Head of Communications at ESL Anna Rozwandowicz told Motherboard in an email that it will outline the details of its new policy soon, but that for now it has "taken steps to move forward with drugs policing, education, and prevention among participants of [its] competitions."

Friesen and the rest of Cloud 9, however, will not be punished for allegedly using Adderall at ESL's event. More at link...

ESL leads anti-PED initiative for esports with the support of NADA

The popularity and visibility of esports has grown exponentially in recent years, but this combined with the increasing size of prize pools has also made the temptation of rule-breaking even greater.

As the world’s largest and oldest esports organization, ESL has an ongoing commitment to safeguarding both the integrity of our competitions and that of esports as a whole - we wish to ensure we can provide a fair playing field for all participating players.

With this in mind, today we are announcing the beginning of the steps we’ll be taking as an organization in order to determine enforce guidelines and rules surrounding the use of performance enhancing drugs (PEDs) at ESL events.

Joining forces

In order to maintain the spirit of fair play within esports, ESL has partnered with NADA (the Nationale Anti Doping Agentur, which is headquartered in Bonn, Germany) to help create an anti-PED policy that is fair, feasible and conclusive while also respecting the privacy of players. ESL will also be meeting with WADA (the World Anti Doping Agency, based in Montreal, Canada) so they can be actively involved in the making, enforcing and dissemination of this policy to additional regions such as the US, Asia and Australia.

The expertise of NADA and WADA will help ESL to produce a PED prevention program that will encompass all players participating in competitions organized, hosted or produced by ESL. This program will help ensure that all players are provided with the information and structural support they need to help them manage the physical and emotional pressure of professional gaming.

Taking action

In the meantime, we will taking immediate action to ensure that ESL’s company values of exemplary sportsmanship and integrity are maintained. As such, we will be administering the first PED skin tests at ESL One Cologne this August, with a view to performing these tests at every Intel Extreme Masters, ESL One and ESL ESEA Pro League event thereafter as soon as the official PED policy is established and tournament rules updated accordingly.

We will remain proactive in ensuring all professional players and organizations involved in ESL competitions will be kept informed of the initiative’s progress. Updates on changes to tournament rules including the list of banned substances, methods of testing and potential disciplinary actions for players caught using PEDs and/or admitting to having used them will be provided to players via their respective team managers and/or owners.

I was thinking about PEDs while watching Evo last weekend. Something like adderall would definitely give players an advantage as would methamphetamine

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Young people sure do love adderall. I remember hearing about this with Halo 2 years ago. They did this stuff to get better at the game, sadly it's still around.

What's even worse is that these players were probably younger than 10 or so when H2 was around.

This has unfortunately been common practice for a long time. Ogre2 said he abused it during Halo 2 e-sports.

Crazy.

Young people sure do love adderall. I remember hearing about this with Halo 2 years ago. They did this stuff to get better at the game, sadly it's still around.

Haha. Ya beat me.

Are there any negative side effects to something like adderall? If not, then I don't see the issue.
It's not talked about much, but there are definitely side effects. My wife was pretty unstable on it. Everyone's different, but we really don't know that much about the brain.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
This has unfortunately been common practice for a long time. Ogre2 said he abused it during Halo 2 e-sports.

Crazy.

Ogre twins use to be considered the best and probably still are at H1-2. They were known to skip college exams for H2 tournaments. They need to do a "Where are they now?" with older MLG players. The players I remember don't seem to compete right? Sad part is that players quit after so many years and then they get replaced by people doing the same trends. Someone is gonna write a book one of these days or there will be an article analyzing the last 20+ years of eSports.

IIRC the twins are about the same age as me. I think back then lots of them were also smoking pot because LAN parties were pretty big with Xbox Connect and Halo CE.

Ogre twins use to be considered the best and probably still are at H1-2. They were known to skip college exams for H2 tournaments. They need to do a "Where are they now?" with older MLG players. The players I remember don't seem to compete right? Sad part is that players quit after so many years and then they get replaced by people doing the same trends. Someone is gonna write a book one of these days or there will be an article analyzing the last 20+ years of eSports.

Yeah I often think about how fatl1ty just missed the boat. I know he did well for himself and probably still has some sponsors with his brand but he can't even break 20 viewers on Twitch the few times I've seen. The guy was a monster.

Ashler

Its a competition for a monetary reward. All sorts of cheating should be avoided, sports or no sports.

Its a good measure.

Yeah I often think about how fatl1ty just missed the boat. I know he did well for himself and probably still has some sponsors with his brand but he can't even break 20 viewers on Twitch the few times I've seen. The guy was a monster.

He paved the way, someone had to do it. Still remember when he came back from "retirement" to play ZeRo4 at Quakecon. what a beast.

Edit: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcwvZTYu9n8

IIRC the twins are about the same age as me. I think back then lots of them were also smoking pot because LAN parties were pretty big with Xbox Connect and Halo CE.

Yeah man. Ogre2 streams on twitch. He has competed recently as well. His brother got married and got a job.

eosos

Banned
What if someone legit has a prescription though? Cause they're extremely easy to get. Tons of my friends did it in college.

213372bu

Banned
This is really a weird situation.

Because of course aderall affects your performance in games.

But at the same time, there are totally tons of gamers out there that have actual ADHD and absolutely need it in order to act normally.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

He was incredibly smart by having his own line of gear, video cards, etc. He will always be one of the top players in my books because he did very well for himself, but over time new gamers come out. The new pros were in middle school when the original game was being played. At least with FPS because the FGC has been doing real well with players staying in regardless. There's more pros and figure heads for an older generation.

Sonicfox did well with MKX and he's not even 18 yet. It's not bad, but it makes it hard for some people to want to get into the idea of eSports. You can relax and enjoy a defeat, but when it's kind of disheartening when your skills are always being tested by someone born after 9/11. You sorta want to have that age counterbalance. The love of the game brings everyone together, but you also don't want to feel ageism in the process. Gaming can be timeless if people allow it to, but eSports always proves that your reflexes go away after a while.

Forgive me if I sound like I am rambling or trying to talk negatively. I'm ranting a bit off some feelings I keep getting.

Hopefully this will confirm that Daigo has been stoned since 1997

This should be limited to performance enhancing drugs... calling pot a performance enhancer is a stretch and a half unless you're talking about an eating contest or something.

Trojan

I've had a prescription to Adderall before and it can absolutely sharpen your reaction time and allow you to focus in on the action with minimal distraction.

As far as negative effects, it can increase anxiety, limit meaningful sleep, and can create short term dependecy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I've had a prescription to Adderall before and it can absolutely sharpen your reaction time and allow you to focus in on the action with minimal distraction.

As far as negative effects, it can increase anxiety, limit meaningful sleep, and can create short term dependecy.

I had one too in high school. I was on Adderall XR when it first came out. It's like it's own kind of meth. It speeds you up, you drop weight in no time at all, and you focus. I remember kids were selling their pills and higher dosages were always the top pick. I took it for ADHD. These kids have the very same ideas we did. They might as well have the very same attitudes too. It's just now they have newer consoles and faster internet connections. Everything is a lot more convenient.

Trojan

I had one too in high school. I was on Adderall XR when it first came out. It's like it's own kind of meth. It speeds you up, you drop weight in no time at all, and you focus. I remember kids were selling their pills and higher dosages were always the top pick. I took it for ADHD. These kids have the very same ideas we did. They might as well have the very same attitudes too. It's just now they have newer consoles and faster internet connections. Everything is a lot more convenient.

When I was in college, people would jokingly refer to Adderall as "Diet Coke" (as in cocaine). It's actually a pretty on-point reference if abused.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What if you really need it?

If they do it anything like the NFL or MLB, and you have a doctor's prescription, then it is allowed.

If you don't, then it's a banned substance.

Adderall is one of the most over-prescribed drugs in America as well. Most do not need it, but that is a different topic all together.

drotahorror

I'M SO EXCITED

I'M SO EXCITED

I'm so....... SCARED *sob*

haha

Don't really see what the big deal is with adderall but most people are probably obtaining it illegally since it is a prescribed drug. If it's something prescribed by a doctor then the ESL can go f themselves and these players should be able to take it.

KHlover

Banned
And C9 is kinda well known, but they were OK with the PEDs?

The hell is going on?

Dude it's a competition. Of course the team is okay with it. Just think about cycling, the only difference between those who were caught and those who weren't was that smaller teams could *not* afford methods which were undetectable at the time.

OT: Watch every pro player suddenly get a prescription for adderall.

I heard about this and it is crazy that at the time no one was gonna bother to investigate this. Taking drugs to get good at games is something everyone who is deep into competitive multiplayer games knew and talked about. First ESPN covers GG Xrd now this. We made it.
He was incredibly smart by having his own line of gear, video cards, etc. He will always be one of the top players in my books because he did very well for himself, but over time new gamers come out. The new pros were in middle school when the original game was being played. At least with FPS because the FGC has been doing real well with players staying in regardless. There's more pros and figure heads for an older generation.

Sonicfox did well with MKX and he's not even 18 yet. It's not bad, but it makes it hard for some people to want to get into the idea of eSports. You can relax and enjoy a defeat, but when it's kind of disheartening when your skills are always being tested by someone born after 9/11. You sorta want to have that age counterbalance. The love of the game brings everyone together, but you also don't want to feel ageism in the process. Gaming can be timeless if people allow it to, but eSports always proves that your reflexes go away after a while.

Forgive me if I sound like I am rambling or trying to talk negatively. I'm ranting a bit off some feelings I keep getting.
Well time moves on and eventually yesterday's famous players get upstaged by the new peeps. It's what happened when SF4 came out. All of sudden players like Daigo are getting stomped. Not stomped badly but their reaction time are getting worse. Look recently at top 8 Marvel at EVO. No Justin Wong, no Chris G, and no Filipino Champ, the pro's are being studied and taken out. And really there needs to be new players to take their place. It's the only way the FGC, E-Sports, and any competitive games can survive.

Adderall in sports is serious business. There's a reason a bunch of Seattle Seahawks players got busted for it the year they won the Superbowl. It most definitely enhances your performance.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
We real sports now?

When any sort of money is involved with a competition then the organization has an obligation to have strict guidelines and measure in place to allow a fair and neutral ground to be established.

E-sports or not when it concerns twitch movements connected to reaction times perceived in the brain and the ability to elevate those to a higher degree than normal through the use of drugs - and we use the term drugs because it is having an overall effect on what the normal procedures within the brain or body do - then I don't see why this cannot be a common occurrence.

They might just be armchair gladiators but I know I'd feel robbed if I was spending several hours a day playing scrim matches over and over and to get to a competition and get nailed by a team using a substance that enhances their play. And then that's when it gets all fun regarding legal.

Top Bottom