• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E-Sports League Will Test for PEDs

ViciousDS

Banned
1310245665-0cafd8f926b864b3df36917f1f8b49f4.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah. Adderral is wayyyyyy more intense than those.

Yep. Redbull, etc do nothing for me really. I personally do not notice the "kick" that others do.

Pop me a 20mg or 30mg Addie, and I'm buzzing along like a busy little bee for 4-6 hours.

danmaku

If they really need it that just helps them to be able to compete at the same level other similar skilled players compete it no?

By the same reasoning, a mediocre runner should be allowed to take steroids to help him compete with the world's best. It's unfortunate, but just as 99% of human beings will never be able to win the 100 meters because their body is not good enough, some people won't be able to compete in esports. They can still play as much as they want, just not as professional players.

Weird, I think it's publicly known that some dota players take adderall (but because of actual issues, not just to play) and it's ok with everybody

Mr_eX

Does this mean people that legitimately have ADD/ADHD are banned from esports if they take their doctor prescribed medication?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
"The opposing team lowered the DPI on our mice!"

Seems like in this case, it'll be far easier for eSports leagues to test for PEDs like compared to the drugs in physical athletic competition.

It may be a little harder though as well. Amphetamine based drugs that people will use for performance gains from what I understand, does not stay in your system as long as other types of PEDs. Some flush out in 3-4 days of no use in urine tests.

They would have to test mid competition.

In general, amphetamines (including methamphetamine) have a drug and detection period of 1-2 days in urine testing, although some sources claim to be able to detect amphetamines up to 4 days after you take them. Initial testing cutoff concentrations are at 1,000 ng/mL with a confirmation test at 500 ng/mL. Blood concentrations are generally used to distinguish therapeutic use from abuse.

http://drug.addictionblog.org/how-long-do-amphetamines-stay-in-your-system/

KiKaL

if you need drugs to help you, you ain't even good.

That's like saying if you need cleats in football/soccer/etc, you're not even good. These type of things enhance the skills you already have, not give you skills that were never there to begin with.

if you need drugs to help you, you ain't even good.

In a lot of cases it's not that these people aren't good already, they use Adderall and such to stay good over long periods of time and to stay consistent when it's clutch time.

My local biweekly smash tournaments go from 5 to 1-2 in the morning, with grand finals going on around midnight. Most of the time I end up in 4th / 5th because I'm way too tired then to play that well. I drop off way faster than the usual top 3.

With the prize pools some of the major tourneys have, I'm surprised testing hasn't happened sooner. At our locals no one would really care if you were taking PEDs to get that $50 pot bonus, but at ESL One or EVO that may be a different story.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Throwing scandals and drug scandals. Are e-sports legit now?

They became legit when the prize pool got as large as it did with sponsored players.

This is just the next evolution of a physical skill based sport.

If poker tournies are considered a legit sport now, so should this.

Forgive the ignorance, but what benefit would Aderall give a competitive gamer?

Emensely less fatugue of mental and motor functions over time of competition. Clearer focus at the tasks at hand, and greatly improved reflexes. Adderall to an already skilled player can babe a significant boost in skill.

Omega

Banned
Forgive the ignorance, but what benefit would Aderall give a competitive gamer?

from what I've heard it allows you to maintain focus for long periods of time.

People seem to think "lol dey jus play vidya games, what's so hard about it" but it's really mentally draining.

Azzurri

Adderall does gives you crazy concentration though. I mean it's still funny as fuck.

Back in college my friends would pop one the night before a big test and literally study all night so dialed in and ace the test. It gives you A LOT of benefits.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
from what I've heard it allows you to maintain focus for long periods of time.

People seem to think "lol dey jus play vidya games, what's so hard about it" but it's really mentally draining.

I get that, I just am not too familiar with the effects of the drug.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If anyone's tournament performance significantly drops after this...

Problem is they would have to test mid competition. There is no way of finding out if they are on adderall unless it is at the time of competition.

It isn't like steroids, HGH, or estrogen blockers a football player would take in cycles over time to improve his game. It's effects are at the time of the drug being used, and if you don't take it 3-4 days in advance of testing, there is no way of them knowing you use it.

DirtyLarry

I've always imagined a time in the not too distant future where all professional sports leagues would eventually have two leagues within their leagues.
The Dopers and The Nopers.
Let the people decide who they want to watch and support.
I would think most people would watch The Dopers as it would be more exciting, but I also think you would get a lot of support for The Nopers from people wanting to keep things pure and in the spirit of true competition.
Oh yeah one caveat, The Nopers would make significantly more money for their commitment to keeping things on an even playing field.
The Roman Coliseum days are pretty much upon us already, so why not take it to the extreme is the way I see it.

Jabba

Banned
Its a competition for a monetary reward. All sorts of cheating should be avoided, sports or no sports.

Its a good measure.

He paved the way, someone had to do it. Still remember when he came back from "retirement" to play ZeRo4 at Quakecon. what a beast.

Edit: Found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcwvZTYu9n8

I can see why they'd test as you mention. When there's competition, add in money, there should be a level playing field.

fatal1ty's map prescence and domination of spawned items is well above his opponent. Then there's fatal1ty's extremely better shooting skills and use of the rail gun at times to make sure some of the encounters get finished.

He runs when he should and tries not to push unadvantageous situations. Very impressive imo also.

Although on second thought, I do like the idea of the Dopers and Nopers.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
tumblr_mfnsq2vyYN1ri4uzzo1_500.gif

I'm a little curious about how they'll test for these drugs. I mean do they stay in the system that long?

No they do not. They are out of the system after a max of 4 days. 2 on average.

They would have to test mid competition which would be a trainwreck if caught. Or before completion and monitor what they put in their mouths. Or after the competition which is also a trainwreck.

Are there any negative side effects to something like adderall? If not, then I don't see the issue.
There are negative side effects to any drug, caffeine included. I don't think they should be banned though, same with steroids. It should be up to the competitors to set the performance level.

nilbog21

Banned
Yeah as someone who used to take adderall before CS 1.6 competitions, it makes a HUGE difference in performance. an adderall me would absolutely smash a non-adderall me 20-0 consistently. it won't make a skilled player out of nowhere, but it will ensure that you play at your VERY best when you need to

problem is however these stimulants leave your system in 1-2 days so they would have to just show up clean, pee clean and then take as much stimulants as you want. to really catch substance abusers they would have to test after the match which would really fuck everything from spectator POV

so yeah, it's not going to work.

but i agree, it is most definitely an unfair advantage and it is cheating. on the other hand, getting a script is very easy and i'm sure these c9 players have them since they prob need a constant source

Computer

Ogre twins use to be considered the best and probably still are at H1-2. They were known to skip college exams for H2 tournaments. They need to do a "Where are they now?" with older MLG players. The players I remember don't seem to compete right? Sad part is that players quit after so many years and then they get replaced by people doing the same trends. Someone is gonna write a book one of these days or there will be an article analyzing the last 20+ years of eSports.

IIRC the twins are about the same age as me. I think back then lots of them were also smoking pot because LAN parties were pretty big with Xbox Connect and Halo CE.

Halo esports is still going strong.and is about to exploded with H5. Oger 2 plays for CLG with is a huge org. He lives in the CLG house in cali. They have a top seeded team and are about to compete is the HCS or Halo Championship Series finals this weekend for 150k. So I would say he is doing pretty well.

With makes me wonder. The Halo Championship Finals are the first big event since this new policy.Plus it will be held in ESL studios. Will this be the first esport to have drug test?

Top Bottom