• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E-Sports League Will Test for PEDs

nampad

Surprised they are just starting now with the price rewards being high for years now.
There is money (and fame) to be made so how did they expect people not to cheat with drugs?

Afrikan

I'd say that if you really need it you can't compete. Your health first, everything else second. I don't know the actual rules in real sports though. Armstrong was able to cheat for years with the "excuse" of having cancer.

this is similar to MMA commissions and their new stance on TRT.

Arkam

I fully support drug testing for professional competition. If money/honor is on the line it must be a fair test of skill. Those who fail a test should be banned from competition for a decade and publicly shamed.

Will be curious to see where they draw the line though. If traditional professional sports are anything to go by it will be a very grey line that divides PEDs and Supplements.

Nzyme32

makes me think of saved by the bell episode

Actually I keep thinking of Carlton on Speed being a good haha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrhHqTv_kvA

carlton-speed-o.gif

Damaniel

Banned
Are there any negative side effects to something like adderall? If not, then I don't see the issue.

It creates a PED 'arms race', where competitors feel (whether justified or not) that they have to fill themselves full of drugs to be competitive. Sure, adderall in normal amounts isn't the worst thing ever, but when you end up with competitors pumping up the doses and/or using other PEDs in combination, that's when the trouble can start.

If e-sports want to be taken seriously as a sport, they have to at least make an effort to keep PEDs out. At least one league has the right idea.

NeonBlack

Testing for performance enhancing drugs now? If this doesn't make e-sports a real sport I don't know what will.
Are there any negative side effects to something like adderall? If not, then I don't see the issue.

I took it before and the only side effect I witness was severe itchiness. I guess we just start watching for who's scratching like a true drug addict

bomblord1

Banned
For anyone interested

Common side effects of Adderall include:

Nervousness
Dizziness
Restlessness
Headache
Stomachache
Decreased appetite
Trouble sleeping
Dry mouth
Nausea
Weight loss
Constipation or diarrhea
Loss of interest in sex

If more serious side effects develop, call a doctor right away. Serious side effects of Adderall may include:

Changes in vision
Seizures
Chest pain
Trouble breathing
Fainting
Severe weakness or numbness
Uncontrolled movements or voice sounds
Hallucinations or delusions
Aggressive behavior
Uncontrollable behavior
Severe skin rash
Swelling of face, lips, or tongue
Difficulty swallowing or talking
Irregular heartbeat

Adderall and Weight Loss

Adderall also can suppress appetite, and a growing number of people who want to lose weight also abuse the drug as a diet pill.

However, using Adderall or Adderall XR for weight loss can result in severe side effects, including psychosis, addiction, stroke, cardiac arrest, and death.

Adderall Withdrawal

If you suddenly stop taking Adderall, you may have Adderall withdrawal symptoms, also known as an "Adderall crash."

Symptoms of Adderall withdrawal can include depression, insomnia or other sleep disorders, irritability, and extreme fatigue.

You are at higher risk for Adderall addiction if you have abused drugs or alcohol in the past.

​Adderall withdrawal can be managed with help from your doctor, who may advise you to slowly taper off your use of the drug.
Adderall and Pregnancy

Adderall might be unsafe to take during pregnancy.

Because of this, talk with your doctor before starting Adderall if you are pregnant or may become pregnant, and call your doctor right away if you get pregnant while on Adderall.

Also, do not take Adderall while breastfeeding because the drug can pass through breast milk to a breastfeeding baby.

A lot more at the link there are a number of health conditions that can make taking it even more dangerous.
http://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/adderall

Tadie

More E-Sports -> More Money -> More Doping

Yeah it´s time to control it ;)

I heard Lance Armstrong started playing LoL.......

JamesAR15

I'd say that if you really need it you can't compete. Your health first, everything else second. I don't know the actual rules in real sports though. Armstrong was able to cheat for years with the "excuse" of having cancer.

So you're saying that if a player has actual diagnosed ADHD or similar they shouldn't be able to compete? I think there's a word for that....discrimination.

naeS

This new adderall must be killer, took that shit back in the day. Because I actually have ADHD. Never helped me.

bomblord1

Banned
So you're saying that if a player has actual diagnosed ADHD or similar they shouldn't be able to compete? I think there's a word for that....discrimination.

Are we really going there... If they are required to take a substance banned by the league in order to function they are still taking a substance banned by the league.

Believe it or not people have been banned from other professional sports for using steroid based inhalers because they have asthma.

MGrant

Haven't taken it in a while (moved, haven't found a new psychiatrist), but I was prescribed a small dose for morning/afternoon use, and that shit works. It's also, unfortunately, really easy to get if you find the "right" doctor and say the right things. It's the sort of thing that should be prescribed by psychiatrists, but unfortunately, a lot of GPs in white suburbia are fine with giving it to kids and college students without even a referral. And it's cheap; like, 10-15 bucks a month with insurance. I don't see how it will go away.

JamesAR15

Are we really going there... If they are required to take a substance banned by the league in order to function they are still taking a substance banned by the league.

Believe it or not people have been banned from other professional sports for using steroid based inhalers because they have asthma.

Perhaps the fact that my son has special needs/ADHD sways my opinion.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Testing for performance enhancing drugs now? If this doesn't make e-sports a real sport I don't know what will.

I took it before and the only side effect I witness was severe itchiness. I guess we just start watching for who's scratching like a true drug addict

That is strange that you got itchy. Usually a side effect of an opiate, not an amphetamine salt based drug.

Could have also been drying you out since it does dehydrate or maybe early set of rash.

A little fun fact for adderall. It was originally designed to be an over the counter weight loss drug, but since it fed receptors in the brain and changed moods, etc, they classified it as a controlled substance in the psychiatry label so they can make way more money on it. And they obviously did.

gai_shain

If they really need it that just helps them to be able to compete at the same level other similar skilled players compete it no?

bomblord1

Banned
If they really need it that just helps them to be able to compete at the same level other similar skilled players compete it no?

Does it bring them up to the same level as other players as an average player or does it put them beyond them? Even for a person with legitimate ADD/ADHD can we prove that it only brings them to a functional level as opposed to an elevated functional level when it comes purely to game performance?

Does/should it depend on the severity of the condition?

With the somewhat recent discussion that some people are possibly misdiagnosed with ADD/ADHD we also have to consider people who are able to get a prescription for it without actually needing it.

What about other similar drugs?

Several issues like this need to be addressed. In my opinion the wisest choice until then is outright ban.

gai_shain

Does it bring them up to the same level as other players as an average player or does it put them beyond them? Even for a person with legitimate ADD/ADHD can we prove that it only brings them to a functional level as opposed to an elevated functional level when it comes purely to game performance?

Does/should it depend on the severity of the condition?

With the somewhat recent discussion that a lot of children being misdiagnosed with ADD what about people who are able to get a prescription for it without actually needing it?

What about other similar drugs?

Several issues like this need to be addressed. In my opinion the wisest choice until then is outright ban.
I honestly dont know exactly, my understanding was that for someone that really needs those drugs they aim to normalize them

Fisty

Theres no reason a player with ADHD cant stop taking a banned drug in order to play competitively. Its not life-threatening in the least.

Now if you want to argue that they need the drug to compete, then why not let football players who cant run a 6 minute mile take steroids if it allows them to compete? Its a silly stance to take. If you arent physically able to compete without PEDs, then no you shouldnt be allowed to compete.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Were all the greats tweaking?

snapshot20080215123519.png~original

Joke post or not, I imagine a lot of them experienced many differences between normal state of play versus "enhanced" moments where they went above and beyond what their usual productivity was. Because e-sports is in such an infantile state there was no major backlash on downing a dozen red bulls in order to exceed normal processes.

It would be great to see this evaluation of tests become the norm because the last thing a new fledgling branch of "pro-sports" needs is another scandal involving "substance abuse" in order to peg it down some more notches so the mainstream can stay safe in their insular couches of fantasy hand-egg. All one has to do is look at the "lol e-sports is for real?" posts in this thread to gauge what the general mindset can manifest into.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This is less absurd than it sounds.

Amphetamines are certainly an unfair advantage.

Yep. Before there was adderall, athletes were hopped up on coke in the 80's before a game. Greenies and speed in the 60's and 70's.

I have used adderall before, shit legit makes you focus, enhances stamina, and my reflexes were majorly improved. You were basically in the fucking zone for several hours.

If they do it anything like the NFL or MLB, and you have a doctor's prescription, then it is allowed.

If you don't, then it's a banned substance.

Adderall is one of the most over-prescribed drugs in America as well. Most do not need it, but that is a different topic all together.

And one you should tread very lightly.

But yeah, we real sports now huh? Glad to hear it though, self medication for enhanced performance just isn't healthy, or at least int his case carries a risk of negative consequences.

Edit: "that should be" not "you. Don't mean to point to anyone specific.

Top Bottom