• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

DuckRacer

I thought the MS press conference was excellent. The Beatles and MW2 gameplay reveals were great, Splinter Cell looked great, Alan Wake looked great, Forza 3 looked absolutely amazing (well, at least it does post-conference with info and screenshots coming in) Halo ODST looked pretty cool, the Epic Games XBLA game seems pretty awesome, Left 4 Dead 2 seems initially unnecessary but still very welcome, hell even the Natal stuff was interesting if only because of how it works and its potential in the future. And finally knowing we're getting a full-blown Crackdown 2 and not some shoveled out Crackdown 1.5 is great, too. Hell, knowing we're getting more Crackdown is great regardless.

The Twitter and Facebook integration will either be good or pointless depending on its implementation. Last.fm will be welcome.

Biggest surprise for me was no mention of anything regarding Rare. No XBLA games, no retail 360 games, hell there wasn't even any sort of Natal tech demo/distraction from them. They have to be developing something, right? That IGN schedule gives me a tiny amount of hope, but it'll likely be Forza 3 if anything.

I think Nintendo and Sony's conferences could very well be better than this, especially with the current rumors floating around. But it'll be a little tough.

keithm

So I've been thinking about it more, and I realized what it is that is bugging me about Microsoft's conference:

They basically admitted that they are done with the hardcore.

Seriously. After the MGS announcement, they said that they've got every major franchise that they want, and basically their line-up is complete. They also made damn sure to point out how Forza is better than GranTurismo. Think about it. They had two announcements that took the remaining wind out of Sony's sales, and then blew past every other harcore game they had. Even the reveal of a new Bungie-made Halo game, which ostensibly should've been the focus of their entire presentation, is mentioned in passing compared to Facebook integration.

They referred to the 360 as a media center and social networking service like two dozen times. They never really referred to is as a gaming device. I know that John Davison would try to convince us that its the most important thing in the world, but does it bother anyone other than me?

Ramenman

That conference was all kinds of awesome.

I've never seen so much actual content in a pre-E3 conference.

And that alone makes it better than any other year's.

I'm not even touching the fact that every announcement that wasn't instantly awesome from a strictly gamer POV (as opposed to, say, SC and AW getting live demos for example) was either awesome because it came out of nowhere (Steven Spielberg ? MG Raiden ? :O) or because it showed a real cleverness buisness-wise (Lastfm ? Facebook ? Re-doing the whole video store ? Genius).

As someone else said, they covered every damn aspect.

Just when you thought there would miss something, they didn't. When they showed the admitedly CG trailer for Natal, I thought 'yeah, too bad they're not going to show actual gameplay', but then they did. And when it was over I thought "yeah, too bad we'll have to wait to see what actual big developpers can do with it, like with the Wiimote", but then they came out with the Molyneux demo.

Dammit, I hope Sony and Nintendo have actual things to show me because this has set a new standard in regards to what is a content-packed conference. Luckily though, Ubisoft just set a new standard as to what is a complete borefest and waste of potential so the big two should do fairly well anyway :D

Edit : And WOW CRACKDOWN TWOOO ô/

keithm said:
They referred to the 360 as a media center and social networking service like two dozen times. They never really referred to is as a gaming device. I know that John Davison would try to convince us that its the most important thing in the world, but does it bother anyone other than me?
Whilst the games keep coming... no, not particularly.

Quazar

Well, finally finished the conference. Natal shows a lot of potential. Not really buying the whole Peter M thing though. It does open up for very interesting genre twists for the future, that I can see. MMOs stand out for the most part. My favorite part is how voice recognition has been implemented. Look forward too see how developers go about storytelling.

The rest of the conference was great.(I guess I missed beginning part with Beatles/Tony Hawk?) Game after game. In other words, Mattrick is sorry for that shit last year. So much too like from MS this year. Good job! Look forward to seeing Sony.

And Hi Major Nelson.

keithm said:
So I've been thinking about it more, and I realized what it is that is bugging me about Microsoft's conference:

This is a nutty analysis.

Metal Gear, Gears of War, Halo (x2!), Forza, Crackdown Call of Duty, Final Fantasy, Tony Hawk... these are among the most hardcore franchises in the business, all alive and well, and they were a major focal point of the presentation.

They are continuing to expand into casual territory but unlike Nintendo they're not doing it at the expense of their (hard)core franchises. The EDGE review got it right - this conference was all things to all people.

2real4tv

Great job by Microsoft this year....wayyy better than last year...did not watch but it seems like they delivered on everything they promised. By the way what is the next exclusive game coming out on the 360?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Perfect conference really, amazing games, even FFXIII already running on 360!

Even had the megaton at the end. And all that casual shit for others too, and the camera ain't half bad.

It wasn't a conference that make you re think the industry or the generation, but it was a perfect conference for anybody that likes games.

.GqueB.

Banned
keithm said:

Seriously. After the MGS announcement, they said that they've got every major franchise that they want, and basically their line-up is complete. They also made damn sure to point out how Forza is better than GranTurismo. Think about it. They had two announcements that took the remaining wind out of Sony's sales, and then blew past every other harcore game they had. Even the reveal of a new Bungie-made Halo game, which ostensibly should've been the focus of their entire presentation, is mentioned in passing compared to Facebook integration.

None of what you said makes sense. They didnt blow past anything. They had on stage demos for a good portion of their "hardcore" games. If ya ask me, there was a very healthy balance of hardcore and casual.

I for one fault them for not showing anything "new" on the gaming front other than mainly sequels and multiplat games (for the most part) but many of those games looked great and targets the "gaf" audience. So what they spent time on radio crap and facebook crap and twitter crap. I will never use that stuff but you cant fault them for adding functionality and showing it off.

For this conference, they struck that nice balance between the hardcore and the casual. Something that Nintendo failed to do last year and something that Sony just didnt care to do. They did well. Give them the credit they deserve.
Brashnir said:
E3 is great for getting the crazies on the Ignore List, that's for sure.
Yea I just put my ignore list function to use for the first time today. Its quite amazing.

lawblob

I think we can all agree that why everyopne is so happy about this conference is that it gave us plenty of things to be legitimately excited over, and things to make .gifs of.

Aselith said:
Good lord. That was an uncomfortable minute when they trotted out Paul and Ringo.
Yeah, they should have started with them or something, having them out there after all the Beatles stuff was already shown was weird, they had nothing to say except to stand there and look awkward.

Rhindle

The question they had to answer at this conference was: How do you expand your userbase without competing head-on with the Wii - which is a losing proposition - and without alienating your core users? How do you give the console a profile of its own now that Nintendo owns the casual space, and Sony basically offers all the same functionality on teh PS3?

As it turns out, they had some pretty good answers.

They've charted a path to expand to a casual audience, but it's a somewhat different casual audience than the Wii's. And it definitely differentiates the 360 from the PS3, which looks increasingly one-dimensional by comparison.

.GqueB.

Banned
bobbytkc said:
PS3 lacks shooters?

Are you kidding me? I can only think of Halo and Gears missing for the PS3. Am I missing anything?
Multiplatform games automatically count as 360 exclusives.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Aselith said:
Good lord. That was an uncomfortable minute when they trotted out Paul and Ringo.

All they had to do is talk something about how they never imagined kids these days would be playing their music together with each other all over the world through their T.Vs and home consoles.

They had to act all "I'm too famous to be here, i don't wanna talk". Cmon as if, these guys play for stadiums with like 60 thousand people in them.

And lol at the "metal guild solid", so true, wtf.

FrankT

J-Rzez said:
You don't say. I for one, am shocked.

Well of course there are always different perspectives from the other side of the fence as well;

As a longtime core gamer accustomed to a certain kind of culture and feel to my hobby, I was one of those who strongly resisted and resented Microsoft's entry into the console market. They stumbled in a bit ignorantly at first, didn't they? The face they showed the consumer was aggressive and obnoxiously fratboyish; behind the scenes, they were your regular plodding Big Corporate Blue Chip.

To me, first a Sega loyalist and then a PlayStation devotee, they just didn't fit in. In the era of Japanese design dominance, the console that had the FMV-driven RPGs and pretty thinkpieces was the only one worth considering. I never even bought a first-gen Xbox, on principle.

I gave the company like, five years before they gave up on running a hardware platform for video games. When the Xbox 360 came out with an avalanche of hardware failures, I was even more certain that the big Western company with the smug attitude wouldn't make it.

As a journalist, I had to learn to see the merits and shortcomings in all the current platforms, of course, and as an industry-watcher, I slowly began to come around to the wisdom of the company's strategy when I saw the strength of Xbox Live, even though I'm not a multiplayer gamer or even remotely social about gaming.

As a consumer, I found myself electing the platform more and more over the past year or so, being more willing to choose the platform for the major releases I buy on a case by case basis, rather than defaulting to PS3 on principle.

I love my PS3. And hey, I'll always have Final Fantasy to make me feel like it's worth it -- oh, wait, no. Well, okay, Metal Gear Solid.

Not anymore[*].

[an 'alert!' noise heralds the arrival of kojima on microsoft's stage.]

You know I just wrote an article about vaunted hype and slick talk and how I wish companies would leave all that at home so that they could quit disappointing us. Microsoft brings the brag, of course; they always have, and they always will, worse than either of its platform rivals. I went into their briefing with pragmatic cynicism and subtle irritation at the company's bravado. I came out stunned.

As a writer, an industry watcher and a gamer, I have to say that I was more genuinely excited, impressed and enthusiastic about Microsoft's E3 press conference than anything I've seen in a long time. Doubtless you've heard by now about Project Natal -- even still largely in an imperfect prototype phase, Molyneux's concept video of what might be possible down the line with tech like that made my hair stand up on end.

When Microsoft entered the console space, I didn't like the idea that they'd try change the paradigm, the culture, tone and language of my beloved medium as I knew it. I was skeptical that they could. Like many of you, I was also the sort to feel an initial, irrational jerk of resentment when Nintendo did that a few years ago with the Wii.

But things've changed. Much of what the company showed today made my hands shake a little bit at the idea of what the future for games could hold. Part of this is due to the blistering quality of the third-party titles they showed -- I didn't think I'd be into Splinter Cell: Conviction at all, but it looks really amazing! I mean, what I'm saying is I was genuinely impressed, even with a little bit of nostalgic diassociation thinking of "the old days."

I rounded up the important events of Microsoft's press conference and what they might mean over at Gamasutra -- and I'll ask you guys the same question that I heard on everyone's lips as I exited the briefing theater.

What can Sony do, now?

http://sexyvideogameland.blogspot.com/

Today was a solid performance all around and I suspect Sony will do the same tomorrow as well. This rumored Epic game has the potential to be big no doubt.

tanod

when is my burrito
daegan said:
The most exciting stuff was Alan Wake and Splinter Cell Conviction. I don't think we really saw a game-changer today, just a very well-oiled show that showed many solid games. And there's nothing wrong with that, but all this "OMG WHAT WILL SONY DO" sentiment is pretty... out there.

Totally agree with this assessment. Also, where the hell was Mistwalker?!

SC: Conviction might be the first Tom Clancy game I buy. Looks like it's got a lot of f'ing potential.

I'm unable to feel any unexcitement for Natal until they attach a price point and a release date to it. Looks cool though.

EDIT: Also, what about XBLA? The only thing that I saw which interested me this year is the Turtles in Time remake. They had a fucking awesome line up last summer. This year: bupkis.

.GqueB.

Banned
Jtyettis said:
Today was a solid performance all around and I suspect Sony will do the same tomorrow as well. This rumored Epic game has the potential to be big no doubt.
Didnt Epic already shoot down that rumor?

But I have full confidence in sony to deliver a great show just on whats rumored alone. Along with whats been shown. Its a good time to be a Multiconsole gamer. I dont know how any of you people can possibly own only one console at this point.

Disclaimer: If youre poor then I apologize for offending you.
Get a job bum

duk

Banned
tanod said:
Totally agree with this assessment. Also, where the hell was Mistwalker?!

SC: Conviction might be the first Tom Clancy game I buy. Looks like it's got a lot of f'ing potential.

I'm unable to feel any unexcitement for Natal until they attach a price point and a release date to it. Looks cool though.

EDIT: Also, what about XBLA? The only thing that I saw which interested me this year is the Turtles in Time remake. They had a fucking awesome line up last summer. This year: bupkis.

come on, u can't expect them to fit everything in one conference right? there are still days in E3 left, what they were able to stuff in 2 hours were great

FrankT

.GqueB. said:
Didnt Epic already shoot down that rumor?

But I have full confidence in sony to deliver a great show just on whats rumored alone. Along with whats been shown. Its a good time to be a Multiconsole gamer. I dont know how any of you people can possibly own only one console at this point.

Disclaimer: If youre poor then I apologize for offending you.
Get a job bum

They have shot it down twice now. But from SCEA PR twitter yesterday it's almost certain they will be their tomorrow. Also we have yet to see the People Can Fly game and I'm sure it's going to show up.

What we know is that one of the People Can Fly developers posted in the Epic rumor thread. Not much but definitly threw some gas on the fire.

SCEA PR guy responded to Geoff K through twitter stating you will see what Epic has in store soon enough.

People Can Fly game yet to be shown at the EA show or otherwise.

Mark Rein stated a day ago we have something new to show. Of course this could be the Chair title announced today, but I kind of doubt it.*

There was also that Geoff K twitter about a well known 3rd party developer showing up at both shows. Kojima or Cliffy?

I put it together to see it tomorrow is my best guesstimate. I suppose the other option is it shows up at an Epic specific show.

.GqueB.

Banned
tanod said:
I'll always remain unexcited about that thing. Everything I saw of the demo either showed the user doing something I dont want to do or something that I dont have to do.

I dont wanna hold my arms up to play a racing game. I dont wanna jump around like a Donkey knockin balls around. I dont wanna paint some awful painting. I dont wanna talk to some small child in an empty field...

I hope none of you do

chris-hansen.jpg

and I dont see the point of waving my arms to navigate the NXE when I can just use the directional pad. I cant see any implementation of this that will interest me. I dont particularly like the Wii either but at least they give you the option to just enjoy the game without having to DO stuff to any ridiculous degree. You can play with the flick of the wrist.

With that said...

the tech is fucking AMAZING. My jaw was constantly dropping throughout the presentation just based on what the hell they were accomplishing. But when the dust settled I instantly realized I wouldnt be caught dead with that thing in my house.

Just imagining someone walking in one me talking to some virtual person on my television :lol No chance.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Got home late from work and just watched the conference on my dvr. Rather than wading through 5000 posts to see if someone already said what I'm about to say...

Adam Sessler on G4 stated before the show began, and I quote:

"One thing that has always been reliable with Microsoft over the past few years is that their press conference tends to have a very solid entertainment package. They didn't announce much. Yet I was entertained enough that I wasn't aware of that fact over the course of their presentation."

And oddly enough, it came to pass. Can no one at MS keep a secret?

Anyways, I thought that the focus on actual games was a great idea, even if we knew all of the games already. Other than the obligatory XBLA bore-a-thon, I liked their press conference. (I'm going to keep my ideas on Natal, good and bad, for that thread.)

Some more specific thoughts:

MS is pinning their holiday season on Halo and a little bit of Forza. Nothing else is going to pop the meter. Specifically on Forza, I'm glad someone recognized that the funnest part of the game is driving around online in the most hideously ugly car you can possibly make!

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Am I the only one that thought MS had a great conference by just somehow managing to get both Paul and Ringo out there? man, I'm such a Beatles fanboy.

unomas

Banned
MS killed it, they hit everything for the hardcore Metal Gear, Halo, Splinter Cell Conviction, Forza, Crackdown 2 , Left 4 Dead 2, Alan Wake, Final Fantasy, Modern Warfare 2, and the new Epic game. To say they aren't taking care of core gamers is rediculous. They also are starting to go after the casuals though as well with the new voice recognition and cam tech. Sure all they have right now are tech demos, but it's only been in the hands of devs for a couple of months at best. They aren't abandoning the controller, just giving another way to play that either will or won't take off. Either way, they can enter the Wii gamer market now as long as they come at it with a decent pricepoint. Not having it as a pack in will definitely hurt, but it's a day one purchase for me. It's amazing how the Wii gamers are freaking out about this, and why shouldn't 360 gamers be allowed to get excited about motion controls when it's a much more immersive form of it? This might actually make a fitness game enjoyable as well as all the other possibilities with full body control.

SoulPlaya said:
Am I the only one that thought MS had a great conference by just somehow managing to get both Paul and Ringo out there? man, I'm such a Beatles fanboy.
It would have been great if they'd done anything other than just stand there looking around for the guy with the check.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Gary Whitta said:
It would have been great if they'd done anything other than just stand there looking around for the guy with the check.
Lol, they could've just stood there and waved for all I care.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Brashnir said:
E3 is great for getting the crazies on the Ignore List, that's for sure.
It makes it truly clear who has an opinion about games, and who has an opinion about companies :lol

My thoughts on the conference
I'm content with it. I understand gaming is no longer just for me "Hardcore". So I have to take the casual appeal as it comes. This is what the Rock Band was in the beginning and the natal in the end was for. Now that, thats out of the way.

+ I'll say Alan Wake definitely delivered. I don't think I'm going be able to play it...way to scary. But it gave me a fantastic vibe like the original RE did. A true survival horror in this day and age.
+MGS on 360, I made it clear I absolutely hate the single player portion. But I've enjoyed the online. If it comes with a solid online...I'll be quiet delighted.
+XBL really got an overhaul this week, Adding in Hulu, Netflix upgrade, and Last FM. All these things are fantastic to me.
+Cliffy B's XBLA game looked fantastic
+Halo, I'm a fanboy of it....I liked how OSDT and the announcement of Reach(Been wanting it since I read the book)

+/-, COD4. It looked fun, at the same time...the Ice climbing >_>. Not nearly as good as the 2007 demo
+/-, SC:C. The gameplay looked good, diverse yet at the same time a bit too Automatic. Seem to took affect to the AC/PoP gameplay style. Not a good thing. Rental at best. Will Spy/Merc return also in full awesomeness?
+/- The Natal thing...looked like completely half assed ADD crap...yet at the same time felt extremely felt out and well done. The sim as creepy as it was, if they could actually make an Animal Crossings/Sims game using it. Where your commands would work the character. I definitely could see it being a massive hit

-Beatles Rock Band...No More!
-No New Games for me, Not really one single surprise announcement or anything. Nothing from Rare nor Lionhead. No Rare was ****ing brutal.
-The Free XBLA Racer...you know, after playing 1 v 100 tonight and having so much fun with it. I want to move this up.:lol
-L4D2...Don't get me wrong. I love the game. But the notion of a sequel...from a Valve game so soon is depressing.
-No montages...they always had great ones
-Lack of XBLA focus

++++++++++Crackdown 2 Announcement....I'm horny

Talon

chuckddd said:
MS is pinning their holiday season on Halo and a little bit of Forza. Nothing else is going to pop the meter. Specifically on Forza, I'm glad someone recognized that the funnest part of the game is driving around online in the most hideously ugly car you can possibly make!

I don't know how much this matters to them, though.

The console's at a great price point in comparison to its main competitor and the library is already rock solid with first party offerings. At this point, the holiday season looks to be dominated by third party offerings like Dragon Age, Modern Warfare 2, Assassin's Creed 2, The Beatles Rock Band, Bioshock 2, and their third-party exclusives, L4D2 (why?) and Splinter Cell.

Sony definitely should have the room to have a big holiday, though. If it fails to make a dent, then I'll be pretty surprised.

FrankT

IGN: E3 2009: Microsoft Press Conference Analysis

We delve into the details of Xbox's best E3 performance to date.
by IGN Xbox 360 Team

June 1, 2009 - At Microsoft's show-opening E3 2009 press conference at the Galen Center in Los Angeles, the company went huge, showcasing two Halo games, the long-awaited action/thriller Alan Wake, Forza 3, and multiple third-party exclusives, including Splinter Cell: Conviction.

And on top of that, Microsoft made the bombshell announcement that a Metal Gear game would finally be coming to Xbox 360. And we haven't even touched on Natal, Microsoft's new motion-sensitive control scheme. Even Peter Molyneux popped up to show some stunning footage of the new tech in action. So did the company do enough to convince gamers that 2009 and 2010 are going to be great years for Xbox 360 gamers?

We gathered together the IGN Xbox 360 Team to talk about the highlights of Microsoft's killer E3 press conference and to decide what moments shone brightest in an impressive hour and a half of announcements, demos and first-look trailers.

Fire everything!!!

Erik Brudvig: That was easily the best Microsoft press conference I can recall. Metal Gear Solid is coming to 360. The 3D camera looks really cool. Remedy finally let us see an Alan Wake demo. We got two Halo games on display. Two Beatles came on stage. Left 4 Dead 2. Modern Warfare 2. Splinter Cell Conviction. Shadow Complex. Man, that was a lot to take in at one time.

Easily the most impressive thing for me was Project Milo from Lionhead. This virtual friend was instantly reminiscent of Seaman, one of the more unique Dreamcast games, only on a much grander scale. Molyneux has been talking about working on artificial intelligence for years and this looks to be the fruits of that labor.

Microsoft finally seems to "get" what it means to be an inclusive company. Sure, there are still little oddities like the BigPark Joy Ride racing game that looks incredibly generic and boring. But then there are announcements like Facebook and Twitter integration, Last.FM integration into the dashboard, and increased Netflix/Zune functionality. These are the types of partnerships and initiatives that are going to draw in new audiences. Forget about You're in the Movies and Scene It. Turning Xbox Live into a true social network is the key.

Charles Onyett: Microsoft said it was going to focus on games, and they weren't kidding. I really don't have any complaints about this year. Lots of announcements, lots of in-game footage and actual demos, such as with Modern Warfare 2 and stuff like the Crackdown 2 announcement coming out of nowhere. I was really excited to finally see Alan Wake shown off in the capacity it was, and it really seemed like more of an action game than what I was expecting.

Coming out of it I guess most of my questions had to do with the Milo demo Molyneux showed off, about how scripted the interactions might be. For instance, when Milo moved over to the fishing area, is that the only thing he can do in that scenario? Or could he try to do something else entirely? I'm just really curious to find out how much you can bend the rules within the virtual space, as well as how interactive it is. They showed in the demo that you could pass sheets of paper to Milo using the Natal camera. He can also in some cases toss you imaginary objects, but what wasn't clear was the degree to which this can differentiate every time you load up the program. How many different ways can Milo react? And what does Milo do when the console is turned off?

Watch Splinter Cell: Conviction in action to see what the fuss is about.Streaming HD over Xbox Live is also a pretty big deal, something I'm definitely looking forward to taking advantage of. In terms of what Sony can do to counter, well, maybe we'll see more on the new Metal Gear Solid at its conference, since Microsoft just wanted to let people know it is in fact in development for the Xbox 360.

And in terms of star power from 2008 - 2009, let's make a quick comparison. Microsoft got Duffy for 2008. Microsoft got Stephen Spielberg, Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr, among others for 2009. So clearly 2008 wins.

Great conference though. As a fan of gaming it was really enjoyable, exciting, and seemed to cover all the bases and present a comprehensive strategy for the company moving forward.

Hilary Goldstein: This is my eighth E3 and this is, without question, the best Microsoft press conference I've seen. Finally, Microsoft listened to our complaints and made a press conference we'd care about -- one that leaves the boring stat-spouting for press releases. This was about games. And there were some great ones shown.

There were some great games shown. From Halo 3: ODST to The Beatles: Rock Band to Splinter Cell Conviction. For me, the winner of the conference was Alan Wake. Remedy has been teasing this game for a long time and boy did they deliver. I wasn't expecting Alan Wake to have so much action--the demo made it seem like a third-person shooter more than the slow-paced psychological thriller as was originally billed. But boy did the action look great. The moment Alan Wake pulled out the flare and ran around destroying the life force of the haunted souls chasing him, I was sold.

There was a time when Paul and Ringo were cool. It was not this week.The only lull for me came with the introduction of Project Natal. The demo portion with some random girl kicking balls really slowed the show. I was wondering why MS would end the show with this instead of the Metal Gear Solid announcement that preceded Natal's introduction. And then Peter Molyneux of Lionhead came out and showcased Project Milo. I don't want a motion camera that allows me to kick balls around. Who gives a crab about that? But what Molyneux showed has real potential. It's next-gen Seaman. All that's missing is narration by Leonard Nimoy. There's no game I more interested in trying than Milo, simply to see if I can break it.

Two years ago, I remember being pulled aside by one of our video producers to shoot a quick "gut response" to Microsoft's conference. I made some sort of gagging noise. Yeah, you've come a long way MS. A great conference.

Erik: The extended demo of painting and slapping balls around was a bit much, especially in a long conference. I'm rather surprised MS didn't come out with some sort of stylish exercise demo to showcase Project Natal. The camera seems much better suited to a fitness game than racing, painting or ball demo. I did think the game show demo was pretty cool. For those that missed it, one of the uses for the camera MS showed was a game show where the whole family could play without a controller. The camera used face recognition to see who was ringing in. Now that's pretty neat.

And Alan Wake looks really amazing.

Hilary: Here's how you know Microsoft had a great press conference. Halo 3: ODST was demoed and Halo: Reach was announced. And neither were the talk of the show. I'd say Alan Wake, Project Milo, and Metal Gear Solid: Rising had just as great a resonance. It's so weird to come out of an MS conference with no real complaints and to actually be excited about what's coming. Usually it's 10 minutes of greatness and 80 minutes of garbage. But I'd say the ratio was flipped this year.

And wow, I didn't even mention that there was a demo of Modern Warfare 2. They made it into a Bond game!

Alan Wake is finally ready for prime time. The wait seems worth it.

Charles: Honestly, if the Natal thing actually works, it's definitely something I'd use even though I'm so accustomed to using controllers. Being able to walk into my living room, err, I mean embarrassingly furnished apartment, and just talk to my 360 to get it to sign in and navigate menus is pretty cool. I doubt I'll be video chatting with friends and determining clothing choices for parties with it, but like the Milo project, there are clearly some interesting applications.

The problem is most of these types of technologies seem to work well when they're demoed, but in actuality feel clumsy or imprecise when actually put to work (see Nintendo Wii at launch). So while it might be useful for things like menu navigation, it may not be the best application for any kind of twitch gaming experience. Maybe it could somehow make typing easier? We'll see I guess.

There are so many games on my radar now it's kind of overwhelming, but in a good way, like if I knew somebody was baking a whole bunch of tasty pizzas for me to eat in the near future.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/989/989222p2.html

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I rounded up the important events of Microsoft's press conference and what they might mean over at Gamasutra -- and I'll ask you guys the same question that I heard on everyone's lips as I exited the briefing theater.

What can Sony do, now?

The thing about it is that most of the content isn't due till 2010...and that leaves Sony with a potential price cut and the ability to really have a fantastic holiday.

The problem with Sony and MS is that a majority of their lineups are franchises based off of new IPs that has already been rooted by the people owning the systems (will anyone really buy a 360 for Halo ODST? Or for the new Ratchet game?). It's not any one game that will sell consumers this holiday; it's the entire package. I think this is where Sony has the advantage, especially if they get GT5 and God of War this Christmas.

If they don't, then you're right, I'm really not sure what they can do. Their lineup of Uncharted 2 and Ratchet is about as appealing as Halo RECON and Crackdown 2 to the person that hasn't jump into next gen just yet...which is to say, minimal at best. Now, Splinter Cell Conviction? God of War III? That's what'll bring in the new sales.

It's Microsoft's game to lose, and they're not showing any signs of stopping with the awesome. Sony's gonna have to step it up, or lose for good.

Alx

.GqueB. said:
and I dont see the point of waving my arms to navigate the NXE when I can just use the directional pad.

That's the only feature I'm 100% sure would be really useful. Navigating through menus using only gestures and voice recognition should be really convenient, especially for non-gaming sessions. You won't have to look for your pad or your remote, it's natural, and it makes you look like Tom Cruise in Minority Report. :D

The very basic "wave over the buttons" interface of the eyetoy was already enjoyable, the 3D cam has the potential to be much better.

gantz85

Banned
keithm said:

Oh no. They made sure to point out how they want Forza 3 to be better than Gran Turismo.. they well know who is the King and who is the Imposter.. :lol

But the fact is they might be King this time. Forza 3 looked good.

I want to know when the new dashboard update is coming. They didn't bother to talk about it during the conference, but it all sound goods to me, particularly the improved NXE/guide performance.

Top Bottom