• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
gantz85 said:
Oh no. They made sure to point out how they want Forza 3 to be better than Gran Turismo.. they well know who is the King and who is the Imposter.. :lol

But the fact is they might be King this time. Forza 3 looked good.
Forza 2 already put them in running for the crown of racing sims if you like it or not..

gantz85

Banned
Margalis said:
It's a little sad that Gamasutra's piece by Leigh Alexander is blatant Sony trolling.

For all this kind of fair-and-unfair talk, it's really up to Sony to learn how to pull the strings of the media and press. They can bitch all they want about everything, but Microsoft is going to race ahead with the good impressions and are cornering mindshare again.

NG28

When is Shadow Complex coming out? I remember hearing June for something during the conference, but I don't remember if it was that or not.

gantz85

Banned
Blackace said:
Forza 2 already put them in running for the crown of racing sims if you like it or not..

Nothing I said suggested otherwise.

chubigans said:
The thing about it is that most of the content isn't due till 2010...and that leaves Sony with a potential price cut and the ability to really have a fantastic holiday.

The problem with Sony and MS is that a majority of their lineups are franchises based off of new IPs that has already been rooted by the people owning the systems (will anyone really buy a 360 for Halo ODST? Or for the new Ratchet game?). It's not any one game that will sell consumers this holiday; it's the entire package. I think this is where Sony has the advantage, especially if they get GT5 and God of War this Christmas.

If they don't, then you're right, I'm really not sure what they can do. Their lineup of Uncharted 2 and Ratchet is about as appealing as Halo RECON and Crackdown 2 to the person that hasn't jump into next gen just yet...which is to say, minimal at best. Now, Splinter Cell Conviction? God of War III? That's what'll bring in the new sales.

It's Microsoft's game to lose, and they're not showing any signs of stopping with the awesome. Sony's gonna have to step it up, or lose for good.

I think we're all overwhelmed by Microsoft's conference.. and the possibilities that came with Natal, but I do think it's safe to say that if we put aside Natal for the moment we have the regular hardcore/casual lineup that Microsoft was predicted to put out. This lineup (without Natal) is solid and it's definitely something Sony can match up to.

The issue is really Natal: WHEN they can put it out and WHAT they put it out with. I think it's more or less viewed as a game changer by many here but if it misses Christmas this season or is put out with subpar software then it gives Sony breathing room.

I do think that the little things that Natal can comfortably achieve is OS integration (voice/face recognition to commands "Show me newest demos." etc) and a few packed in mini-games like Nintendo's strategy with Wii Sports. If they manage to do that they might potentially have a gamechanger by this year's end. It also shouldn't be difficult for Sony to put out something similar; they certainly have the tech worked on if you look at EYEpet, and if Natal can't make it this Christmas 09 then Sony have enough breathing space to catch up.

The bigger issue at hand is just management/corporate strategy. At this point in time it looks like Microsoft just have better management, albeit backed with bigger pockets. If Sony is continually trying to play catchup with Microsoft (FPS, Media integration, Touch) they will fail terribly unless Microsoft fuck up. Sony needs stronger management and vision and also the ability to be able to put the money where they think it needs to be put. HOME might be a pretty profitable project for them but the barrier to entry is too high, and it in no way reduces the burden of complexity to the user. I don't see anything that Kaz or Shuhei Yoshida can offer that will help this problem. However, although I think Phil Harrison did a mediocre job with the games, that he can be tapped to bring some vision to the R&D department in terms of online integration and user software/hardware interaction.

JoJo13

Banned
Plinko said:
smh

This is beyond ridiculous. It reminds me of the Grand Theft Auto IV hyperbole journalists were spewing before that came out.

Microsoft had a great conference, but Mielke's statement is asinine.

Yeah, I'm shaking my head over the hyperbole extended to this conference as well. The big highlights for me were them showing games like Splinter Cell and Alan Wake, but there were also a lot of things that were disappointing such as the no show from RARE, and lack of unannounced new ips. Overall, it was a good conference and certainly better than last year, but I wouldn't say it was Microsoft's best conference. I recall being more excited when they showed off Gears of War and Halo 3 for the first time.

The Project Natal announcement was probably the most underwhelming part of the event. They positioned it as some sort of major announcement -- and, true, it is a big announcement to Microsoft -- but the way they showed it off made me think that this device doesn't appeal to me whatsoever and that perhaps Microsoft doesn't 'get it' like Nintendo does with motion control. Everything they showed off, software wise, looked like a complete gimmick. It was more of an enhanced eye toy or 'at the movies' than it was the next wii-mote; certainly not a flexible device to have an entire platform center around like the Wii. It also looked extremely early and rough.

It's almost as though a Microsoft exec said, "hmm...what can we do that's different, but similar to the Wii, but comes across as revolutionary? Aahhh..I know, let's remove the controller entirely!". And frankly, I disagree with Spielberg and co. about the controller being a barrier and this device somehow bringing people together -- the casual audience has shown no problem adjusting to peripherals like guitars, wii motes, zappers, etc...in fact, that's part of the appeal of the Wii. Having something tangible, in other words, is important. Buttons are still important. There's a certain level of abstraction that makes games fun because they're not exactly 1:1 with real life. And much like how there is an 'Uncanny Valley' effect with graphics, I think this will extend into the world with motion control as was clearly displayed on stage today with a number of different embarrassing and awkward sequences. Certainly Wii Fit and Mario Kart sold ridiculous numbers in part due to the plastic they came included with.

By not making it a controller device, they have effectively separated the types of games suitable for the gimmicky mini-games and the hardcore titles, and that's the opposite direction that Microsoft should be making with a new device. I just don't see the application that this is going to have with the Xbox 360's bread and butter, and to alienate them on a device leads me to believe this will be a pretty big failure.

I rounded up the important events of Microsoft's press conference and what they might mean over at Gamasutra -- and I'll ask you guys the same question that I heard on everyone's lips as I exited the briefing theater.

What can Sony do, now?

Announce new games, show off their already amazing lineup this fall and in early 2009, and hopefully announce either a hardware revision and/or a price drop? That's all they really need to do in order to have a good show. The quality of the show will then depend on how good their new IP announcements are and the titles that will be coming out soon and playable on the show floor. Could be merely 'pretty good' but not spectacular, or it could be pretty amazing -- again, depending on what they show. I certainly can't see them having a bad E3, just like I didn't see Microsoft having a bad E3 either. Just because Microsoft announced a new tech doesn't somehow mean Microsoft ran away with the show.

gantz85

Banned
JoJo13 said:
Announce new games, show off their already amazing lineup this fall and in early 2009, and hopefully announce either a hardware revision and/or a price drop? That's all they really need to do in order to have a good show. The quality of the show will then depend on how good their new IP announcements are and the titles that will be coming out soon and playable on the show floor. Could be merely 'pretty good' but not spectacular, or it could be pretty amazing -- again, depending on what they show. I certainly can't see them having a bad E3, just like I didn't see Microsoft having a bad E3 either. Just because Microsoft announced a new tech doesn't somehow mean Microsoft ran away with the show.

Like I said, remove Natal and you'll have a tame and predictable conference (even with Natal it wasn't all that unpredictable). It was still solid.

I think the thing is that Natal is already being perceived by the press and by the hardcore commmunity as a "game changer" and that if Sony continue to play safe by their route they will be playing the "old game", and not the "new one" that Microsoft is shaping the industry into. Sony will be perceived to be lacking, there's just alot of noise saying that Microsoft ran away with the show and I don't think that perception will change (unless Sony deliver a similar megaton, which I think it won't).

How this filters down and translates to sales for the rest of the year, I don't know.

JoJo13 said:
Yeah, I'm shaking my head over the hyperbole extended to this conference as well. The big highlights for me were them showing games like Splinter Cell and Alan Wake, but there were also a lot of things that were disappointing such as the no show from RARE, and lack of unannounced new ips. Overall, it was a good conference and certainly better than last year, but I wouldn't say it was Microsoft's best conference. I recall being more excited when they showed off Gears of War and Halo 3 for the first time.

The Project Natal announcement was probably the most underwhelming part of the event. They positioned it as some sort of major announcement -- and, true, it is a big announcement to Microsoft -- but the way they showed it off made me think that this device doesn't appeal to me whatsoever and that perhaps Microsoft doesn't 'get it' like Nintendo does with motion control. Everything they showed off, software wise, looked like a complete gimmick. It was more of an enhanced eye toy or 'at the movies' than it was the next wii-mote; certainly not a flexible device to have an entire platform center around like the Wii. It also looked extremely early and rough.

It's almost as though a Microsoft exec said, "hmm...what can we do that's different, but similar to the Wii, but comes across as revolutionary? Aahhh..I know, let's remove the controller entirely!". And frankly, I disagree with Spielberg and co. about the controller being a barrier and this device somehow bringing people together -- the casual audience has shown no problem adjusting to peripherals like guitars, wii motes, zappers, etc...in fact, that's part of the appeal of the Wii. Having something tangible, in other words, is important. Buttons are still important. There's a certain level of abstraction that makes games fun because they're not exactly 1:1 with real life. And much like how there is an 'Uncanny Valley' effect with graphics, I think this will extend into the world with motion control as was clearly displayed on stage today with a number of different embarrassing and awkward sequences. Certainly Wii Fit and Mario Kart sold ridiculous numbers in part due to the plastic they came included with.

By not making it a controller device, they have effectively separated the types of games suitable for the gimmicky mini-games and the hardcore titles, and that's the opposite direction that Microsoft should be making with a new device. I just don't see the application that this is going to have with the Xbox 360's bread and butter, and to alienate them on a device leads me to believe this will be a pretty big failure.

Sorry to hear how disappointed you are about how well the conference went.

Truespeed

I wasn't expecting much from the Microsoft press conference and they delivered. It got off to a great start with 9 minutes of gameplay from Modern Warefare 2. There's nothing I enjoy more than watching 9 minutes of a guy playing a video game. And then there was the part where they had to bypass a bit of the game in the interest of time. How considerate of them to spare us.

The Forza 3 demo was also interesting because they finally introduced a cockpit view and then proclaimed they were the definitive racing game of this generation. I guess the implementation of the tricky cockpit view was the sole jewel they needed to claim the crown from GT5. I sincerely hope they re-worked their damage model physics to have a significant impact on the performance of the car where the damage was incurred including any collateral and degradation damage from continued racing. Because, I do think the GT5 damage model will substantially raise the bar.

And then there were the Beatles. You would think dragging Paul and Ringo out on stage would send the audience into delirium, unfortunately it was filled with awkward moments like Paul calling himself an android. And don't even get me started with Yoko. Does Paul even like to be in the same building, let alone country as her? I was a it disappointed that they neglected to put a Yoko Ono track on the game. Who knows, perhaps it's hidden.

I was also disappointed with the Epic presentation. An XBLA game? Really Cliff? That's what you've been working on? This one is actually quite telling because they'll probably announce their big game for the PS3 tomorrow.

I was actually quite impressed with Project Natal. But then it quickly wore off. The cost of the unit is probably going to be more than $70 (a bit conservative if you take into account the Microsoft peripheral pricing strategy). I'm sure it's going to get a lot of support from developers. This isn't going nowhere. They needed to price it so low to allow mass adoption. They should have even packed it in with all new 360's.

And then there was Peter Molyneux. For a second there I though I was back in a computer science classroom being lectured to. You have to admire Peter for the boundaries he tries to push and the experiences and emotions he tries so hard to invoke. But, I think he needs to realize that the majority of the audience wants to kill people using automatic weapons. He needs to focus on that.

I was also glad to see FFXIII make an appearance on the 360. Wait a second, didn't SE say that they would begin development on the 360 version only after the PS3 version was completed?

Kogepan

gantz85 said:
Like I said, remove Natal and you'll have a tame and predictable conference (even with Natal it wasn't all that unpredictable). It was still solid.

I think the thing is that Natal is already being perceived by the press and by the hardcore commmunity as a "game changer" and that if Sony continue to play safe by their route they will be playing the "old game", and not the "new one" that Microsoft is shaping the industry into. Sony will be perceived to be lacking, there's just alot of noise saying that Microsoft ran away with the show and I don't think that perception will change (unless Sony deliver a similar megaton, which I think it won't).

How this filters down and translates to sales for the rest of the year, I don't know.

well there isn't really a game attached to Natal yet so I don't understand where the excitement is coming from. This tech was available previously, just not attached to MS and elicited little more than a yawn.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Truespeed said:
I wasn't expecting much from the Microsoft press conference and they delivered. It got off to a great start with 9 minutes of gameplay from Modern Warefare 2. There's nothing I enjoy more than watching 9 minutes of a guy playing a video game. And then there was the part where they had to bypass a bit of the game in the interest of time. How considerate of them to spare us.

The Forza 3 demo was also interesting because they finally introduced a cockpit view and then proclaimed they were the definitive racing game of this generation. I guess the implementation of the tricky cockpit view was the sole jewel they needed to claim the crown from GT5. I sincerely hope they re-worked their damage model physics to have a significant impact on the performance of the car where the damage was incurred including any collateral and degradation damage from continued racing. Because, I do think the GT5 damage model will substantially raise the bar.

And then there were the Beatles. You would think dragging Paul and Ringo out on stage would send the audience into delirium, unfortunately it was filled with awkward moments like Paul calling himself an android. And don't even get me started with Yoko. Does Paul even like to be in the same building, let alone country as her? I was a it disappointed that they neglected to put a Yoko Ono track on the game. Who knows, perhaps it's hidden.

I was also disappointed with the Epic presentation. An XBLA game? Really Cliff? That's what you've been working on? This one is actually quite telling because they'll probably announce their big game for the PS3 tomorrow.

I was actually quite impressed with Project Natal. But then it quickly wore off. The cost of the unit is probably going to be more than $70 (a bit conservative if you take into account the Microsoft peripheral pricing strategy). I'm sure it's going to get a lot of support from developers. This isn't going nowhere. They needed to price it so low to allow mass adoption. They should have even packed it in with all new 360's.

And then there was Peter Molyneux. For a second there I though I was back in a computer science classroom being lectured to. You have to admire Peter for the boundaries he tries to push and the experiences and emotions he tries so hard to invoke. But, I think he needs to realize that the majority of the audience wants to kill people using automatic weapons. He needs to focus on that.

I was also glad to see FFXIII make an appearance on the 360. Wait a second, didn't SE say that they would begin development on the 360 version only after the PS3 version was completed?
They have done interviews together before.

JoJo13

Banned
gantz85 said:

I completely agree. Take out Project Natal, and it was a completely predictable conference from what they've shown the past two years.

Major Nelson and others got the hype rolling early, establishing that they would be showing things for 2010 and beyond, and that this was going to be an amazing conference where it would finally be shown.

Well, it was shown, but I wouldn't call its first appearance stellar. Like I mentioned before, it looked incredibly early and they failed to answer many pressing questions about where this takes them. Sure, they showed where it CAN take Microsoft, but if that's where they want to take gaming then I don't want to be there.

I would say they did a poor job showcasing their new tech and why their current audience should be excited for it. I certainly can't see any hardcore gamer getting excited about what they saw.

It also doesn't instill a lot of confidence that Peter Molyneux was up their showcasing an incredibly scripted demo and hyping up its potential -- we all know about his promises and what they inevitably amount to.

I suppose I wanted to see MORE than just the tech. Yeah, it's a cool concept that I'm not sold on outside of a select few genres and experiences, but how is Microsoft going to really establish this thing as anything more than the next eye toy? Outside of kickball mini-games, what software is this device going to feature? How should the hardcore be looking forward to it? They failed to do that, and that's why I can't get excited about this device now. Next year? Maybe.

gantz85

Banned
Kogepan said:
well there isn't really a game attached to Natal yet so I don't understand where the excitement is coming from. This tech was available previously, just not attached to MS and elicited little more than a yawn.

Now here's the marketing wizardy you missed: The games are being made out in the press's heads. The journalists and game press out there are floating in castles making up possible games and scenarios in their head and that provides the excitement of Natal. Of course it will wear off and people will begin to hunger for actual software announced and playable for Natal, but it won't wear off until wayyy after E3.

Kogepan

gantz85 said:
Now here's the marketing wizardy you missed: The games are being made out in the press's heads. The journalists and game press out there are floating in castles making up possible games and scenarios in their head and that provides the excitement of Natal. Of course it will wear off and people will begin to hunger for actual software announced and playable for Natal, but it won't wear off until wayyy after E3.

yeh.hehhe...

plus I have my doubts about camera based controls. For example, what happens when my dog runs through the room, will that screw up my gaming session? Seems like you would need a REALLY controlled environment unless the AI is really good, which i doubt for a piece of consumer kit.

also the cost....$100/200 to enable voice/motion commands?

Daante

I think the conference was great. A lot of good and new stuff was shown. A good mixture of AAA titels togheter with some new and innovate thinking.

Best thing of the show was ALAN WAKE!!

Pug

Gamers complained when E3 was 25 minutes of stats and graphical slides show how well company X was doing and how they were moving the industry on. Gamers used to rant show me the games goddamit. MS yesterday said here's the games. Now gamers are moaning where were the new IP's, where the game I'd never heard of. Seriously they showed games you that in the main you will be able to buy within a year thats what E3 is about.

mujun

JoJo13 said:
I completely agree. Take out Project Natal, and it was a completely predictable conference from what they've shown the past two years.

If the highlights of the sony conference are god of war 3, r&c:cit, starhawk, trico, heavy rain and a bunch of psn stuff like trine, etc will that too be, "predictable"?

gantz85

Banned
mujun said:
If the highlights of the sony conference are god of war 3, r&c:cit, starhawk, trico, heavy rain and a bunch of psn stuff like trine, etc will that too be, "predictable"?

I think, as predictable as Microsoft's yes, but without the bang of Natal.

Unless TRICO and Starhawk turn out to be substantially different from currently though (which none of Forza 3, Alan Wake, Splinter Cell, Halo ODST did).

duk

Banned
One of the biggest games was demoed, FF13, and no one is talking about it much, i guess that's how good of a conference ms had

DrPirate

Banned
mujun said:

Damn right.

Everyone is expecting those games.

I wish they just showed trailers of it before the conference to get it over with. They aren't surprising in the least.

NG28

Pug said:
Gamers complained when E3 was 25 minutes of stats and graphical slides show how well company X was doing and how they were moving the industry on. Gamers used to rant show me the games goddamit. MS yesterday said here's the games. Now gamers are moaning where were the new IP's, where the game I'd never heard of. Seriously they showed games you that in the main you will be able to buy within a year thats what E3 is about.

I know what you mean, but people will never be happy. I don't think it will matter what is shown, people have made up their minds before the conferences even begin, and try to justify afterwards.

Schrade

duk said:
One of the biggest games was demoed, FF13, and no one is talking about it much, i guess that's how good of a conference ms had
Well to be honest, there was nothing much new there. Remember, there was a demo for the PS3 out already so it's old news and not so fresh now.

JoJo13

Banned
mujun said:

Starhawk and TRICO are new game announcements though, but in general yes it would be a bit predictable. I am hoping they have some unknown IPs to show off which would turn their conference from a 'good, but predictable' showing to a 'spectacular' one.

We'll see.

duk said:

Probably has more to do with the fact that what they showed was pretty much what we've seen before with the PS3 demo (outside of a summon, or whatever). There wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking about that showing.

gantz85

Banned
DrPirate said:
Damn right.

I wish they just showed trailers of it before the conference to get it over with. They aren't surprising in the least.

:lol He's not getting the responses he wished he was getting: Sony fanboys backpedalling, shifting goalposts.. :lol:lol

mujun

DrPirate said:
Damn right.

sarcasm right?

we've seen all the ones i listed except starhawk.

im not making any predictions. nobody knows what they have up their sleeve. if they come out with two or three new full retail games (twisted metal for example) plus a bunch of stuff along the lines of what i listed then i think most would agree that they had a better showing than microsoft.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
duk said:

I'm of the opinion that the excitement at GAF over the MS conference would create only a ripple outside the NA gaming forums.

Personally, I felt underwhelmed by it. I just don't get the hype over Natal. That device is just pure hype and little else. I mean, releasing a device(probably expensive seeing as how microsoft does things) in the 4th year of a console is supposed to CHANGE GAMING? Please. Release a new console with the device as the default controller and maybe I'll believe it. But this is probably something that will be relegated to niche games, on the 360 at least.

mujun

gantz85 said:
:lol He's not getting the responses he wished he was getting: Sony fanboys backpedalling, shifting goalposts.. :lol:lol

i dont want any responses. just want to see how consistent ppl like you and jojo13 are.

it wouldnt surprise me to hear you say "crackdown 2, splinter cell, alan wake, meh, predictable" and then the next day in the sony conference thread say "omg, trico, mag and starhawk, sony had the best conference ever!!".

i have no personal investment in you doing either. i do however like to call out double standards when i see them.

gantz85

Banned
bobbytkc said:
I'm of the opinion that the excitement at GAF over the MS conference would create only a ripple outside the NA gaming forums.

Personally, I felt underwhelmed by it. I just don't get the hype over Natal. That device is just pure hype and little else. I mean, releasing a device(probably expensive seeing as how microsoft does things) in the 4th year of a console is supposed to CHANGE GAMING? Please. Release a new console with the device as the default controller and maybe I'll believe it. But this is probably something that will be relegated to niche games, on the 360 at least.

(1) I think Natal will be packed in into all 360 SKUs in the future. I'm pretty sure Mattrick mentioned it.

(2) This is a good time for them to test and develop the technology. Think of it as like LIVE for the original FatBox. It grew and matured to what it was today. Natal will definitely be polished and released as a default for the next gen.

AFreak

Banned
So Shadow Complex is basically Metroids of War? Sounds pretty good to me. Oh and if Joy Ride is Free, then I'm in. Seems like a successor to Hard Drivin.

gantz85

Banned
mujun said:
i dont want any responses. just want to see how consistent ppl like you and jojo13 are.

it wouldnt surprise me to hear you say "crackdown 2, splinter cell, alan wake, meh, predictable" and then the next day in the sony conference thread say "omg, trico, mag and starhawk, sony had the best conference ever!!".

i have no personal investment in you doing either. i do however like to call out double standards when i see them.

Um, are you an idiot? :lol

I'll tell you this, if Starhawk turns out to be Warhawk in space, and TRICO turns out to be just like ICO and is uninspiring, and if MAG turns out to be just a 256 shooter online.. then yeah, it's just going to be predictable.

Note that you're letting your Xbot roots manipulate your perception, I never said Microsoft's conference was "meh". I said it was predictable, save for Natal providing a little volatility. That doesn't say anything about the QUALITY of the conference, but just its predictability.

Anyway, if Sony's conference packs in surprises like TRICO or MAG or whatever game being substantially different from what I expected AND promisingly good, then yeah, it wouldn't be predictable.

jorma

is now taking requests
Pug said:

I think MS showing games was the best part. They did really well with those segments; awesome even, and they did put Sony under pressure - Sony really has to perform now. Splinter Cell and Alan Wake was very impressive. I might very well rebuy the console just for those two games. But i really do think the Halo IP has jumped the shark now.

Natal though? Nah. I really dont see myself having fun playing games that way. Maybe it could evolve into something better, but i dont really see it happening this generation. Was still pretty interesting to watch though. I wonder if "no Rare" means that they are put on a Natal project that is still pretty far off?

All in all a fantastic showing from MS, with very few dull moments (despite the Rockband Beatles embarassment). I hope Sony can step up! I think they can, but i also think they can totally botch it just as easily :p

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
gantz85 said:
(1) I think Natal will be packed in into all 360 SKUs in the future. I'm pretty sure Mattrick mentioned it.

(2) This is a good time for them to test and develop the technology. Think of it as like LIVE for the original FatBox. It grew and matured to what it was today. Natal will definitely be polished and released as a default for the next gen.

I don't know, I just think that developers will just continue to build games that use the standard controllers for the already matured audience base for the 360, rather than developing specifically for a control scheme which would fragment their potential customer base.

I predict that the device will be use mainly as a tacked on, optional feature, outside of a few niche titles, most of which will be developed by first or 2nd parties because they can afford to absorb substantial losses on projects such as these (case in point: Rare). This is the most probable scenario, for the rest of the 360's life (another 2-3 years maybe?).

As someone who decided to buy a PS3 over a 360 - and doesn't regret it - I have to say I am really really impressed with the all the MS news today.

Tonnes of solid exclusives, smart integration of media features and social networking and an impressive demo of upcoming tech. Pretty damn solid.

I didn't see the actual conference as I was busy, but the effect of reading all the news later certainly leaves a positive impression.

I hope Sony can come up with a equally compelling, comprehensive vision, but I'm not gonna' hold my breath.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
somuchwater said:
As someone who decided to buy a PS3 over a 360 - and doesn't regret it - I have to say I am really really impressed with the all the MS news today.

Tonnes of solid exclusives, smart integration of media features and social networking and an impressive demo of upcoming tech. Pretty damn solid.

I didn't see the actual conference as I was busy, but the effect of reading all the news later certainly leaves a positive impression.

I hope Sony can come up with a equally compelling, comprehensive vision, but I'm not gonna' hold my breath.

But doesn't Sony already have compelling exclusives? IMO, Sony probably doesn't even need to announce anything new, and just show off footage of the games we already know about. I actually think that is perhaps why I am a bit underwhelmed with today's conference. MS has been quiet all year round, so I guess I expected more.

bobbytkc said:
But doesn't Sony already have compelling exclusives? IMO, Sony probably doesn't even need to announce anything new, and just show off footage of the games we already know about. I actually think that is perhaps why I am a bit underwhelmed with today's conference. MS has been quiet all year round, so I guess I expected more.

To me, though, it was that MS feel like they have a plan that they're executing and it's all coming together. Sony have awesome hardware and killer exclusives but it doesn't seem to all fit together - their approach seems more slapdash and haywire (to me).

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
somuchwater said:
To me, though, it was that MS feel like they have a plan that they're executing and it's all coming together. Sony have awesome hardware and killer exclusives but it doesn't seem to all fit together - their approach seems more slapdash and haywire (to me).

What plans are you talking about? Sony is probably more focused in this respect, they just focus on first party, guaranteed exclusive software.

As a gamer, I only care about the games I get to play. Both sides have good, compelling games, and that's all I want. The plans of megacorporations mean nothing to me.

AFreak

Banned
BTW, the mom and girl in the Natal stuff...MILF and jailbait. Best combination ever...games was kinda ok looking too.

bobbytkc said:
What plans are you talking about? Sony is probably more focused in this respect, they just focus on first party, guaranteed exclusive software.

As a gamer, I only care about the games I get to play. Both sides have good, compelling games, and that's all I want. The plans of megacorporations mean nothing to me.

Fair enough. For me, I'm also concerned with media/social media integration, upcoming innovation etc. As for games, Uncharted 2 is coming out this year, so I'm golden! :D First one was my favourite title this gen. I'm just hoping that Sony announces some new features/services for the PS3 also.

boiled goose

good with gravy
natal sounds better than wii motion sensing if it works well.

some questions:
-can multiple people simultaneously play a game without being directly infront of the camera? Could be an issue with multiplayer games, which is why we is so succesful with casuals.

besides being fun, can it bring true innovations in gaming besides improvements with motion controls? (im thinking of something like the wiimote pointer, not just the motion stuff)

AFreak

Banned
somuchwater said:

Ah yes, the plans to make Sony exclusives multiplat and to make new ways to waggle. At least it's an easy plan.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
somuchwater said:
Fair enough. For me, I'm also concerned with media/social media integration, upcoming innovation etc. As for games, Uncharted 2 is coming out this year, so I'm golden! :D First one was my favourite title this gen. I'm just hoping that Sony announces some new features/services for the PS3 also.

Well, I certainly hope for new announcements tomorrow. Prospects don't seem good though, since so much have already leaked recently. I'd say that Sony will most probably tickle my hype meter just about as much as the MS conference today.

mujun

gantz85 said:
Um, are you an idiot? :lol

I'll tell you this, if Starhawk turns out to be Warhawk in space, and TRICO turns out to be just like ICO and is uninspiring, and if MAG turns out to be just a 256 shooter online.. then yeah, it's just going to be predictable.

Note that you're letting your Xbot roots manipulate your perception, I never said Microsoft's conference was "meh". I said it was predictable, save for Natal providing a little volatility. That doesn't say anything about the QUALITY of the conference, but just its predictability.

Anyway, if Sony's conference packs in surprises like TRICO or MAG or whatever game being substantially different from what I expected AND promisingly good, then yeah, it wouldn't be predictable.

so you start off suggesting i might be an idiot, throw in a bunch of caveats to cover yourself, focus on the meh i added in (and shouldnt have, my mistake) whilst ignoring that i did say predictable, etc.

do you seriously want to have a conversation with me or are you trying to rally up some support and turn it into some message board popularity contest high school style.

lmk know when i can talk to you like a real person.

Talon

JoJo13 said:
Probably has more to do with the fact that what they showed was pretty much what we've seen before with the PS3 demo (outside of a summon, or whatever). There wasn't anything particularly groundbreaking about that showing.
I believe the newsworthiness there was that it was already running on 360 hardware.

gantz85

Banned
mujun said:
so you start off suggesting i might be an idiot, throw in a bunch of caveats to cover yourself, focus on the meh i added in (and shouldnt have, my mistake) whilst ignoring that i did say predictable, etc.

Oh the irony.. someone who wanted backpedalling backpedalled.

I believe the newsworthiness there was that it was already running on 360 hardware.

This. And didn't look different from PS3 version.

Top Bottom