• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Microsoft Conference Thread

duk

Banned
new natal interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/e3-project-natals-molyneux-and-milo-interview?page=2

Eurogamer: So what can Milo do?

Peter Molyneux: Milo can recognise the emotions on your face and the emotions in your voice. He can recognise certain words you say. You can have conversations with him, you can read stories to him. We're trying to bring all these things together. Some of them are tricks - I'll be absolutely honest with you - to make you believe Milo's real.

He can recognise what you're wearing. If he notices you've got dark bags under your eyes he will say, 'You look tired today.'

Eurogamer: Really?

Peter Molyneux: Absolutely, all of that works. We're combining all that together to make you really believe that he understands what you say.

Let's try an experiment. When a human voice says something funny, there's a different tone in the voice. Even though Milo's not trained to recognise your voice, if you say something funny to him, he should recognise it as something amusing. Try it now.

Pretty damn amazing.

karasu

I guess I'd better pick up the original Crackdown and a relevant Splinter Cell when I get my 360 next week.

GavinGT

Banned
Yoboman said:
Does Kudo remind anyone else of

billy%20walsh.jpg

?

He was probably going crazy around all those Suits.

Xenon

GhaleonEB said:
Didn't see it posted here - this is a replay of the demo Joseph Staten did for ODST, much more in depth than the stage demo. Shows, well, pretty much everything they should have shown during the demo.

http://video.ign.com/streaming/e3-2...s.com/cms/publish/vod/vodclip/foxign/5532.qvt

In particular, the map at the nine minute mark. The game is big.

Thanks, that fleshed things out a little. While it looks interesting I don't think I want to fight the covenant any more.

Some thoughts about major MS first party announcements. Going by memory here and hope I'm not missing something big. No major title at E3 2007. NG II at TGS 07. Stopped talking about future titles. Next was Gears 2 at GDC 08. At E3 08, announced Halo 3 expansion. Didn't talk for almost an year so people thought E3 09 will have few first party announcements for 2009. Only one new announcement: Forza III. Again, I'm talking about only up to 2009. Halo: Reach and Crackdown 2 are future titles.

There were more titles released these years (also XBLA) but titles like VP doesn't count as blockbuster. Others were previously announced titles like BK:NB, Forza II, PGR 4.

Grug

Hammer24 said:
So seeing a new technology demonstrated makes you sexually insecure?!

Stupid strawman comment. Not worth responding to. Clearly there are a few socially stilted chaps here that couldn't see that my comment was laced with more than a sprinkling of irreverence.

Regardless, (speaking as a big Xbox fan), I thought that demo is very much smoke and mirrors. When even serial salesman Molyneux himself says that some of it is "tricks"... I remain sceptical as to how amazing that demo really is underneath the surface.

Kafel

Banned
So with Natal probably out in 2010, am I the only one surprised that there's not a "casual" line-up for the end of 2009 ?

I mean like Lips, VP, You're in the Movies ...

fatty

Ding said:
In a pointless counter-anecdote, I'll just say that I'm 47, love video games, love Rock Band, and fondly remember listening to the Beatles back when I "discovered" them in 1977 or so. My wife is 50, is much less into video games, but is a drummer and a total Beatles freak.

Dude. Why are you punishing yourself? L4D is awesome if you play with friends, and Crackdown is just awesome in general. And cheap.

Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned I still think the Beatles will sell well because they are beloved by many people. Just in my mind I'm wondering if the sales will justify what EA/MTV has spent on acquiring the licenses and promoting the game. I'm hoping I will discover them when I play the game like I did with artists like Steely Dan, Rush, etc. when playing RB & GH.

ArjanN said:
Why are you complaining about sequelitis if you haven't even played the first, awesome, games?

If you had played them you would have been more excited.

(Get L4D on PC if you can though)

I'm not really "complaining" about the sequels as in saying I'm not head over heels for them yet. The one I pointed out specifically is Splinter Cell where I actually did play the early games and then stopped following the series because they came out so frequently, but this last one looks to do something new and it seems a lot more fast paced.

And trust me, I'm trying to get around to playing these games, but getting older it's harder to find time, esp. when you game on every platform. (It doesn't help when SFIV is the game consuming my free time lately) I've had Crackdown for over a year, I will get to it. I want to get L4D but seeing how the sequel is coming out so soon I might just start with that instead.

K' Dash

I need DEMOS ON THE MARKETPLACE, I've already seen the trailers they put there.

And one more thing, how's that we have to pay for the fucking premium themes of halo odst and allan wake? I tought "well it's e3 they should give them for free to promote those games", but no, 240 space bucks for a fucking wallpaper, no way in hell. /rant

MMaRsu

Banned
K' Dash said:
I need DEMOS ON THE MARKETPLACE, I've already seen the trailers they put there.

And one more thing, how's that we have to pay for the fucking premium themes of halo odst and allan wake? I tought "well it's e3 they should give them for free to promote those games", but no, 240 space bucks for a fucking wallpaper, no way in hell. /rant

I know right? Where are the fucking demo's?????. Oh and I bought that Alan Wake theme cause Alan Wake is awesome.

But now I'm just using the free PD theme :p.

K' Dash

MMaRsu said:
I know right? Where are the fucking demo's?????. Oh and I bought that Alan Wake theme cause Alan Wake is awesome.

But now I'm just using the free PD theme :p.

I want the theme, but MS denies my card and I can't buy shit now :'(

K' Dash

Dunlop said:
blasted work firewall!!!!

Will remember to look up when I get home

I'll post the highlights if it's allowed, is it?

Edit:

For me the most important thing is that it works with retail games, that burnout was the retail one, no "natal version", so no need to buy special versions for the games we already own and want to play with natal.

Quazar

Though again, it's not my type of game -- but the good news is that, when speaking with Tsunoda about things in the works down the line, that there are plenty more games -- much more ambitious ones, in fact -- in development that we're going to see in the near future.

All in all, I found Project Natal to be quite refreshing. It's nowhere near the gimmicky device I originally took it for and the fact that it works already on a retail Xbox 360 (Burnout was running on an "out of the store" model, no debugs or special systems required) says a lot about its current stage of development.

To say that I'm anxious to see where Microsoft, and it's horde of third party developers, takes his next is an understatement.

Sounding good.

Kafel said:
http://kotaku.com/5276789/from-stick-figure-to-mind+blowing-controls

Burnout Paradise played with Natal.

If it works so well, Natal could actually make us play like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNuRQmvykwk on Live :lol

"I drove around a bit of the city using my imaginary steering wheel, weaving between cars with no problem, tearing around sharp corners and deliberately plowing into other vehicles. It felt a bit weird to hold my arms out straight in front of me and pretend to drive, but the results were so lag free, so responsive that it didn't bother me."

I think that's all we need to know. the big question was whether it had lag or not. If it doesn't...day fukin' 1.

Nolan.

But I like controllers:( I don't really understand why people wouldn't want anything in their hand it would just feel weird to me (unless the game was something like boxing etc)

Shadowlink123 said:
Where are my demos? :(

Demos? I'd settle for 10 minutes of off-screen gameplay video of Crackdown 2.

Really, that's all I want outta Microsoft for the rest of e3. I've got no other gaming-related complaints for Microsoft this time around. A huge change from previous years' shows. Microsoft really brought it this time.

South Park XBLA game out this year

http://ow.ly/aV9O

"Microsoft let us know during last year’s E3 that a South Park title woud be coming to their Xbox Live Arcade service. Well, E3 has come and is on its way out and still no South Park announcement which has fans of the popular TV series discouraged.

Luckily, Kotaku managed to catch up with Microsoft exec John Schappert and put the question of why no South Park announcement during E3. He promptly responded with:

South Park actually is coming I think what you saw in briefing is that there was so much rapid-fire information that we just didn’t have time to cover anything.
He then when on to say that the game will in fact be out this year but failed to comment on any game play details.

So, there you have it, an Xbox Live Arcade South Park title is definitely coming and will be released this year."

Top Bottom