• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

ultim8p00

Banned
I think Sony and MS came too close to each other, and basically who ends up first will boil down to your console of choice. Sony had more games to show, but the way they presented the conference overall was pretty bad. MS on the other hand didn't have as many games as Sony, but their conference was straight to the point and exciting. The MS conference was able to keep me excited by capitalizing on momentum and showing game after game. Sony did a lot of boring sales talks and a lot of montages, but they managed to build momentum towards the end. Plus, a lot of Sony's stuff wasn't new.

griffonwy.gif

:lol :lol :lol

Not bad. I wish they would have actually given something to us from the R* exclusive. That could have been a huge megaton, and it seem like they just wasted that opportunity. No footage and no release. The last Guardian was cool but no date?. GT5 with damage/NASCAR is cool, but no date? GOW3 looks great. Uncharted 2 and R&C are cool too. I think most of it was pretty expected though. Nothing really jumps out as a megaton and the stuff that could have been really exciting is very open ended.

Don't have the time to even consider caring about an MMO.
MAG didn't look great.
Don't really care about the new PSP or games for it. Price is too high.
Don't care about motion.
Where's the price drop? Slim PS3?
Secret PS3 game?
Don't care about AC2.

artist

Banned
fortified_concept said:
Conference-wise (how good the conferences looked)

Microsoft B
Sony B+
Nintendo C+

Games-wise (Quantity/quality of the games that were shown):

Microsoft B-
Sony A
Nintendo D
Yes.

Rad Agast

Jason's Ultimatum said:
The animation on that creature at the end of the GOW3 demo was AMAZING.

The Chimera? yeah it looked real nice but I still can't get the bad hit detection in the demo. I need to see a better quality video of that.

LCfiner

PistolGrip said:
Yep we all knew Final Fantasy XIV and Agent were going to be announced... or that Kojima was producing the new MGS for psp which is the next real MGS not a spinof or that SONY had a better motion solution than both Nintendo and MS... get the fk out of here with this bs..

you are delusional.

every single fucking thing done by the sony wand can be done by natal. everything. it can track your hands, your elbows, your head. everything. you want to pull your arm back for archery and then release an arrow? you can do it.

the great thing about the MS system is you need one camera and multiple people can join in. with the wands, you need two per person to get only two points.

it is way fucking behind Natal in tech.

and the demo sony showed was a lot more amateurish than the wii sports resort stuff, which can do all the stuff the sony wand can do.

FFIV is an MMO. no one on gaf except die hard ff 11 players give a shit about mmos. it is NOT a megaton.

and the ease in which you buy into the spin about the PSP MGS being a "true" sequel, undermining the Raiden announcement, is embarrassing

Meier

ElyrionX said:
The montages were a complete waste of time and the GoW3 demo was almost as bad as the Halo ODST demo. It was the same tired shit all over again. Apart from prettier graphics, that whole thing looked like GoW2, complete with a giant "boss" in the background that does absolutely nothing to hurt you. Even the goddamn combos looked the same.
Spot-on. I was very bored with the Halo ODST trailer and nothing in the God of War 3 trailer grabbed me either. Don't get me wrong, the GoW games are fun... but SOME evolution would feel suitable at this point. I understand the don't mess with success formula but to me this series takes that to the extreme. Why do they take so long to make when they seem to re-use all the same assets?

I'd say Sony won for best reveals but in terms of best CONFERENCE, MS wins. It flowed very well and was a bit more engaging. PS3 has some killer stuff coming out though. PSP Go seems overpriced and unattractive. I feel like it's poorly thought out.

daegan

Seeing the Heavy Rain demo on G4 right now is pretty insane...it's very different than the playthrough I saw previously.

devilhawk

MechaX said:
Okay, let's try to put things in perspective here.

The conference started out quite strong with Uncharted 2. It definitely looks like it pushes the PS3's power pretty far along. The conference had an exceptionally strong last 10 minutes or so with GT5, Last Guardian, and God of War III shown consecutively. Yeah, it sucks that the leaked footage took out a lot of the wind from Last Guardian, but the additional footage and different graphical style helped things. At least, it's more than enough to make most viewers forget about the previous two hours of the conference.

They definitely focused on the PSP a lot more than usual, with actual games being released in 2009 and early 2010.

But do remember, this conference was at least two hours long, and a strong start and a strong finish has the tendency to eliminate memories of the middle. First off, announcing new games or exclusives without telling us a damn thing about them is not effective strategy (Resident Evil PSP and Agent). Second, the reaction to the motion wand is absolutely amazing. Most were skeptical about Nintendo using it, yet the minute Sony uses it it's a saving grace of the console? Get that shit out of here.

The FFXIII English trailer was good. FFXVI was just a massive cocktease. I mean, that's good for FFXI fans, but if a PC version does come out, I think we all know what's going to get the majority of the love.

No PS3 Price drop and the $250 PSP Go price points pretty much points to the fact that Sony either does not get or simply cannot do anything about pricing themselves out of the market.

For the PS3, the 2009-early 2010 schedule looks pretty barren. I guess that will sink in deeper later on this year.

With Microsoft, they kept a steady stream of games going. With Nintendo, while they did have some really BS moments, they at least were able to bring out multiple surprises that no one saw coming. I would pretty much put Sony at a middle-of-the-road C at this point. Definitely the worst showing out of the big three, but far above the likes of EA and Ubisoft's conferences.
Excellent write up. I agree but would say that Nintendo and Sony have similar conferences due to what I got out of them. Too much emphasis is put on the entertainment of the conference itself. MS was easily the most entertaining in that regard though. Nintendo had the best megatonish surprises with MG2, Golden Sun, and Metroid. Sony had a decent conference but emphasized games (MAG, multiplat AC2) and a PSP platform that does not interest me all that much. My ratings would be as follows:

MS:B+
Nintendo and Sony: C+

Best game shown off was easily Conviction. I got burnt by AC once, so I need more than just a few minutes of gameplay to sway me on AC2. GOW3 looking and playing amazing doesn't shock me just like Galaxy 2 wouldn't either.

traveler

Not Wario
Cirekiller said:
Err...dude, name any announcement that MS made that was not heavily rumored?

What? What the hell does that have to do with what I'm saying? :lol

In every single statement I've made regarding the conferences, I've said both the MS and Sony ones were great, losing impact only because of the huge amount of leaks that hit before them.

Gary Whitta said:
People wanted hardcore fanservice from Nintendo and they got it in the form of TWO new Mario games, including an express follow-up to the greatest Mario game of all time AND a new Zelda game complete with developer megaton. None of which was expected. Nintendo delivered big-time.

Metroid? or did i miss something about Spirit Tracks?

KZObsessed

Lince said:
oh shut up and stop the trolling already, can't you buy 5 copies of MGS4 and let people enjoy another portable Kojima masterpiece? and go watch some United match, maybe against Barça? ffs!

</3

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
We did know about those games...

Oh you did? You knew about Final Fantasy XIV Online? Seriously? GTFO. If Sony can keep it exclusive or PS3/PC, that's huge. Especially in Japan. Do not underestimate that fanbase. Even if they don't, it's still awesome.

LCfiner

I totally agree with MechaX's post.

In addition, a lot of the problems with Sony's conference were presentation.

well, that was a problem with the other two conferences as well... :D

but it stood out here for some reason, perhaps due to the overall length of the show and the insistence of using so many montages.

andycapps

For all you people saying who won or who lost, who cares? Microsoft had a good conference and had some good games that makes me wish I could afford to buy their console (just can't spend any more money on consoles now, don't have the money to buy games as it is). Nintendo had some good core games like Metroid from Team Ninja, Super Mario 4, Mario Galaxy (2?). They had some crap in there that was suited for casuals that don't care about E3 (Vitality, the stuff geared towards women, girls, and tweens), but the game announcements redeemed them by far. Sony's conference had tons of games, some surprises, some already known about... More info on PSP go, etc.. I wouldn't call their conference perfect as I was hoping for a price drop, but I have one already so doesn't affect me. I'd probably put MS and Sony on top, not sure which first, and then Nintendo bringing up the rear for the simple reason that I was bored out of my mind for quite a bit of it, bar the "core" gaming announcements.

But all 3 conferences were good and should have pleased their base.

Boss Man

They really should have showed something on Agent. Such a huge announcement, but without any information who can care?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Side note, but anyone else notice that Katamari Tribute seems to be a PSN game now? It was shown with a PSN sign on it like the other PSN games there in the montage (and I don't mean just network enabled games).

That's how they should be distributing it..if the price is right I'll probably bite.

Kintaro said:
Oh you did? You knew about Final Fantasy XIV Online? Seriously? GTFO. If Sony can keep it exclusive or PS3/PC, that's huge. Especially in Japan. Do not underestimate that fanbase. Even if they don't, it's still awesome.

A couple days ago it was rumored that SE was making an Exclusive MMO for the PS3.

I'm not saying its not huge but that doesn't mean we didn't know about it.

J-Rzez

Uncharted 2 is absolutely amazing looking. I'll be trying out the beta tonight :D

MAG is looking fucking mind blowing. "IF" they contain any lag issues, it will be a new measuring stick for mp shooters, not a doubt in my mind. "LOL but X will sell better"! Anyone who cares honestly about shooters will not give 2 fucks about sales figures. Like said, there looks to be SOOOO much depth to be had from this shooter i'm giddy like a school girl.

Zipper deserves praise so far.

Now I just need to get some gameplay hands on time to tell how well it plays. Where's that beta at? Moreso, where's that beta at and my key?

Microsoft had the best show.

Sony had the best GAMES show.

Microsoft's show was paced and staged the best by far, although I think they used too much time on the cross-platform Rock Bond: Beatles, even though I'm pretty hyped for it. Super star-studded, (which had to impress the mainstream media,) and very few hype killing moments. And, it was easily their best show ever. That's a BIIIIG deal.

Their future tech 'vision' segments were much more 'visionary' than anyone else, even if some of the claims seem a bit far-fetched. I don't mind far-fetched stuff (except maybe the impossible 'instant 1080p' video stuff) because I love to be wowed by new tech. It's one of the reasons I'm a gamer.

Their game lineup was good overall and great in a few places, but not necessarily great in the 'console exclusive' territory. The best demo of a game was the non-exclusive Modern Warfare 2. Only Crackdown 2, Left 4 Dead 2, and Splinter Cell got me really hyped, and of those, Splinter Cell was the only one demoed. Halo just left me sad, since it's so far behind the big modern shooters these days in tech. Forza's segment seemed kinda desperate.

Sony's show had terrible pacing, as it totally crushed it at the beginning with the mind-blowing Uncharted gameplay, yet just as totally bogged in the middle where they are trying to launch a new iteration of a platform (not good, Sony,) only to surge back again with some true megatons at the end, and a cool little cart racer. NO 'star power' to speak of, but the exclusive games were the stars.

While Microsoft's camera system seems more visionary, Sony's actually looks a lot more practical for real gaming with the games I'd want to play. The lack of lag compared to everything else, (especially MS's system, which seems super-laggy) and the insane precision suggests that while it's not as ambitious as MS's project, this thing will actually work well for fun gaming.

Sony's long montage of all the known first and third-party games was impressive (although I wished it was FULL FUCKING SCREEN) and the big exclusives just blew my mind. Easily the most big exclusives to be excited for IMO me.

Nintendo should just quit doing shows.

If I had to give out grades, Microsoft and Sony would both get A-. Best Microsoft show ever, and one of the best gaming show's I've ever seen, but could have focused more on the exclusives. Sony had the exclusives, but the pacing and presentation was far from perfect. Nintendo would get a C-. If it weren't for the awesome Metroid first-look and the quality of the DS lineup, they would have failed completely. I totally expected SMG2 in 2010, so that's not that big a deal. It might be a great game, but it's no megaton. Metroid was the only thing that came close to a megaton, and I don't know how many gamers like me are left.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
BLaZiN PRopHeT said:
A couple days ago it was rumored that SE was making an Exclusive MMO for the PS3.

The only thing we knew about it was it was codenamed Rapture. No one knew it would turn into Final Fantasy XIV.

Amir0x

Banned
Sony's conference was about what I expected. Not exactly bad per say, but they're in such a terrible position right now that they needed something much, much bigger.

Still Last Guardian and God of War III <33

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Gary Whitta said:
Uncharted 2 is the best-looking game I've seen at any briefing. No Sony hate there.
It's all good but your overly negative over Sony stuff. I loved every conference except Nintendos which did have 3 awesome games.

soldat7

camineet said:
It's been said before, and I've now said it in other threads, but this needs repeating:

The sword & shield demo is what I liked most, and actually something along the lines of what I expected Nintendo to show with a Wii MotionPlus Zelda.

Should have been fighting giant enemy crabs. Missed opportunity.

J-Rzez said:
Uncharted 2 is absolutely amazing looking. I'll be trying out the beta tonight :D

MAG is looking fucking mind blowing. "IF" they contain any lag issues, it will be a new measuring stick for mp shooters, not a doubt in my mind. "LOL but X will sell better"! Anyone who cares honestly about shooters will not give 2 fucks about sales figures. Like said, there looks to be SOOOO much depth to be had from this shooter i'm giddy like a school girl.

Now I just need to get some gameplay hands on time to tell how well it plays. Where's that beta at? Moreso, where's that beta at and my key?

I think people buying a 256 player shooter should care how it sells, or else it's going to be a pain to find good games.

Kevtones

Waggle = A pointless exercise in playing catchup, Sony should've stayed clear BOMB
No price drop = BOMB
PSPGO = not as ugly as people say but the price BOMB
Software = Nice on all fronts I just don't care about PSP. Less montages next time. Leaks hurt.

All in all, if I was a shareholder I would be very, very disappointed in this conference.

Basch

BLaZiN PRopHeT said:

The fact that is Final Fantasy is huge. I understand what you mean, but at the same time because of that name it will sell. SE still supports FFXI to this day. If it was still just the Rapture, I wouldn't expect it to last nearly as long, but now our expectations our raised. There's nothing wrong with that. So it's still something to get excited about.

Insertia

J-Rzez said:

[/b]

^^^
Trufe
The old Tribes fan in me is incredibly excited by MAG.

Pacing wise, worse conference ever. All over the place and a clusterfuck of montages.

Content wise, holy crap. Motion controller looks strong. The Last Guardian was great, GOWIII, and GT5 as well. Uncharted 2 looks absolutely unreal and MAG shows potential if rough.

Assassins Creed looked very nice but I haven't played enough of the first to say if its more of the same.

PSP Go! looks great but the price is an absolute joke, no price cut was uprisings.

EDIT: Announcing FFXIV before XIII launches is WEIRD but forgivable since it is a different type of game anyway. FFXI was great so I cannot help but be excited for it as well.

Kintaro said:
The only thing we knew about it was it was codenamed Rapture. No one knew it would turn into Final Fantasy XIV.

I agree but when they said SE you knew they would show the MMO. That's the point i was trying to make. Nothing else.

kitch9

Banned
LCfiner said:
you are delusional.

every single fucking thing done by the sony wand can be done by natal. everything. it can track your hands, your elbows, your head. everything. you want to pull your arm back for archery and then release an arrow? you can do it.

the great thing about the MS system is you need one camera and multiple people can join in. with the wands, you need two per person to get only two points.

it is way fucking behind Natal in tech.

and the demo sony showed was a lot more amateurish than the wii sports resort stuff, which can do all the stuff the sony wand can do.

FFIV is an MMO. no one on gaf except die hard ff 11 players give a shit about mmos. it is NOT a megaton.

and the ease in which you buy into the spin about the PSP MGS being a "true" sequel, undermining the Raiden announcement, is embarrassing

The delusional ones are the ones talking as if they've used both fucking techs to compare.....

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Amir0x said:
Sony's conference was about what I expected. Not exactly bad per say, but they're in such a terrible position right now that they needed something much, much bigger.

Still Last Guardian and God of War III <33
Besides a pricedrop (which they are most likely preparing for this fall for the holidays with a PS3 Slim), what in the world could they have delivered that would have been "much, much bigger" beyond what they provided us?

Cruzader

Banned
Doubledex said:
You are trying too hard, dude
You got to be kidding me. The troll force is strong on this one. Theres awesome, kickass 360 news and plenty of threads for it and feels the need to go into a PS3 thread and troll?

You can tell these assholes dont give a fuck about gaming at all and rather feed the 'console warz'.

Top Bottom