• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2010 Podcasts

Nizz

JWong said:
4c128848a866d_featured_without_text_wc_topstory.jpg

http://www.shacknews.com/featuredarticle.x?id=1313

Direct Link
RSS Link
Thanks, I'm downloading the show right now. I still have day three of the Bombcast to listen to still. Podcast overload. :D All good though, Weekend Confirmed and Bombcast are my two favorite podcasts.

StuBurns

Banned
How does EyePet even work in 3D? There is only a single camera on the PSEye so how does it recreate what it's recording to display it in 3D? Two PSEyes?

StuBurns

Banned
N'Gai has been his normal articulate thoughtful self so far. A great addition to any podcast. The shit he gets on GAF is crazy to me.

Now Brian, that's a different matter.

FStop7

Banned
Ulairi said:
Giantbomb will never be excited about anything from Nintendo because lack of HD graphics.

picture-24.gif

Though you might have a point. I was one of the people who got excited about the Goldeneye remake. And Jeff Gerstmann seems to think that anyone who gets excited about it is an idiot. Maybe I don't get that there's some kind of backstory, but I'm rooting for the game to be good because I missed out on the original.

jax (old)

Banned
Ulairi said:
Giantbomb will never be excited about anything from Nintendo because lack of HD graphics.

admittedly, that's sort of me in a nutshell. I do own a wii. The visuals don't do it for me. Its now disconnected and sitting next to my band of brother bluray boxset.

KongRudi

Banned
JWong said:

Think all the journalist here try to pay back Microsoft for their bribe in this episode.
full of factual errors...

Bragging about Kinetic for it's potential to future hardcore fighting games with skeletal tracking..
And they all agree on that skeletal tracking is not possible on Move since it only look at balls, but the game I tought they were speaking about is allready beeing demoed/shown at E3 for PS Eye, and it uses skeletal tracking. ( http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266630/ )

But I guess Virtual Air guitar dosn't have the kind of free hardware to give away..

JWong

Banned
KongRudi said:
Think all the journalist here try to pay back Microsoft for their bribe in this episode.

Bragging about Kinetic for it's potential to future hardcore fighting games with skeletal tracking..
And they all agree on that skeletal tracking is not possible on Move, but the game I tought they were speaking about is allready beeing demoed/shown at E3 for PS Eye, and it uses skeletal tracking. ( http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266630/ )

But I guess Virtual Air guitar dosn't have the kind of free hardware to give away..
Yeah, I feel like that too. No one pays enough attention to the PSEye itself. It can do so much more than people give credit to.

Ubisoft's Your Body can almost be completely done for PSEye. Kinect doesn't have enough games that uses crazy amounts of z-axis depth because PSEye isn't too good for z-axes capture.

bleahy

Neo Member
KongRudi said:

And they all agree on that skeletal tracking is not possible on Move since it only look at balls, but the game I tought they were speaking about is allready beeing demoed/shown at E3 for PS Eye, and it uses skeletal tracking. ( http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6266630/ )

I didn't get a free console, but whatever dude.
I was more impressed by Kinect than Move.

KongRudi said:

Doesn't saying "oh they only like it because they got something free" just make you feel unbelievably lazy? Because it is. Unless you think the many people on GAF who feel the same should be dismissed as well despite not receiving a single free thing. These guys can afford, borrow, write off on taxes a $300 console. That's a cheap price to sell your integrity for.

StuBurns

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
Doesn't saying "oh they only like it because they got something free" just make you feel unbelievably lazy? Because it is. Unless you think the many people on GAF who feel the same should be dismissed as well despite not receiving a single free thing. These guys can afford, borrow, write off on taxes a $300 console. That's a cheap price to sell your integrity for.
Accepting the console is selling their integrity.

It doesn't matter if it would have a visible influence on their writing or not, just the fact it can be raised means it should not happen.

EGM used to pay for all their travel, hotels etc (no idea if they still do) required to cover games. That's how I think it should be done because 'journalists' should not be financially compensated by the institutions they are reporting on.

As for Natal vs Move, they're both stupid, flip a coin as to which is less stupid.

StuBurns said:
Accepting the console is selling their integrity.

It doesn't matter if it would have a visible influence on their writing or not, just the fact it can be raised means it should not happen.

EGM used to pay for all their travel, hotels etc (no idea if they still do) required to cover games. That's how I think it should be done because 'journalists' should not be financially compensated by the institutions they are reporting on.

As for Natal vs Move, they're both stupid, flip a coin as to which is less stupid.

Does that mean receiving debug units is selling their integrity or press kits for games? They're free consoles and games. Sure saying doing X means Y is easy but I'd much rather take it on a case by case basis instead of being cynical and saying that every site is now tainted and on the hook because of a single conference they attended. I don't know who did or didn't take a console and my opinion on them wouldn't change one way or another since I respect/trust certain outlets or people until otherwise proven I shouldn't. To me integrity isn't taking the gift, it's how they respond to it professionally. Unfortunately that will be spun one way or the other depending on respective fans' preconceived notions. MS put writers in an awkward spot but that doesn't mean I have to be lazy.

StuBurns

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
Does that mean receiving debug units is selling their integrity or press kits for games? They're free consoles and games. Sure saying doing X means Y is easy but I'd much rather take it on a case by case basis instead of being cynical and saying that every site is now tainted and on the hook because of a single conference they attended. I don't know who did or didn't take a console and my opinion on them wouldn't change one way or another since I respect/trust certain outlets or people until otherwise proven I shouldn't. To me integrity isn't taking the gift, it's how they respond to it professionally. Unfortunately that will be spun one way or the other depending on respective fans' preconceived notions.
Basically, yes. Getting test units for free is pretty dirty. But at least that is the institution which is getting something, the moral gap between giving something a company, and giving it an individual is huge.

Regardless of if taking a free 360 would affect the writing of a member of the press, the fact they would be willing to take it is enough for me to be pretty certain they are not worthy of my time. It's morally questionable if nothing else, and they shouldn't do it.

The 'journalists' that stood up clapping and cheering at hearing they are getting a bribe made me pretty disgusted. It is no different than them handing out 300$ at the exit.

StuBurns said:
Basically, yes. Getting test units for free is pretty dirty. But at least that is the institution which is getting something, the moral gap between giving something a company, and giving it an individual is huge.

Regardless of if taking a free 360 would affect the writing of a member of the press, the fact they would be willing to take it is enough for me to be pretty certain they are not worthy of my time. It's morally questionable if nothing else, and they shouldn't do it.

The 'journalists' that stood up clapping and cheering at hearing they are getting a bribe made me pretty disgusted. It is no different than them handing out 300$ checks at the exit.

I understand but if I was in that situation I'd appreciate more benefit of the doubt based on my professional record than a single item I received. When somebody is doing some silly Lady Gaga dance infront of Kinect I doubt they ever think "I better smile or laugh because I got something free". I really don't feel passionate about other people getting free things but just wanted to throw my side out there.

StuBurns

Banned
cr_blah_blah said:
I understand but if I was in that situation I'd appreciate more benefit of the doubt based on my professional record than a single item I received. When somebody is doing some silly Lady Gaga dance infront of Kinect I doubt they ever think "I better smile or laugh because I got something free". I really don't feel passionate about other people getting free things but just wanted to throw my side out there.
I fully agree. I don't even believe it would have an affect on the vast majority of people who got it. That's not the point at all. The point is respect for the reader as well as the job. Does what is happening affect the work? Does it affect the audiences opinion of the work? Even if the answer to the first question is without doubt no, if you're unsure of the second, morally anyone who is willing to make that leap is not a person of integrity to me.

I think Move and Natal are wank, if MS and Sony sent me a grand each tonight, I'd still post that they're wank, I'd take the money of course because I'm not a journalist, however, the fact I'd accepted cash would make my opinion questionable, even if it's completely honest.

An example of something I think is unacceptable, and I'm glad a number of people decided not to go thru with it. The MGS4 review sessions. That game has some substantial flaws, obscene cutscenes that are boarding on infinite, unacceptable chapter installs, whole acts that are offenses to the senses, and pretty much all of that was included in the list of things press could not cover in their reviews if they wanted to put them up before release. That makes me pretty sick. Anyone who agreed to that kind of journalistic compromise to get their review out on time for clicks is an embarrassment.

I know it's a very difficult industry currently, I have a lot of respect for some of the really great writers who work under extreme pressure and deliver top work, and it primarily is the publishers fault because they are very much the gatekeepers to everything the press need to do their job, it's cyclical, and I can understand the concern not to rock the boat for both sides, but there are moral limits that encroach on someone's ability to do their job correctly, and accepting bribes such as free consoles certainly qualify as that to me.

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Yup, apparently Shack News just doesn't have the resources to put out a podcast during E3

So true, makes perfect sense considering they aren't sponsored by some gaming mouse or something right :) :lol

Leigh Alexander was annoying as fuck on the bombcast day 3. I seriously had to stop listening after her incessant interrupting everyone and talking about unrelated crap (Yankees?! wow)

Top Bottom