• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015 | Nintendo Treehouse Live @ E3

Good to hear that Yoshi is sounding dope, I guess we'll know for sure when it launches in other territories relatively soon. I'm pretty salty we have to wait so long for it but luckily I have a lot of other stuff to keep me happy.

It's weird that for the first time in a while I'm really excited for my Wii U. Star Fox looks like it could be a bash, my one concern is sheer content because right now I get the impression that it's pretty bare bones. Mario Maker and Yoshi look great though!

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
It's weird that for the first time in a while I'm really excited for my Wii U. Star Fox looks like it could be a bash, my one concern is sheer content because right now I get the impression that it's pretty bare bones.
Just like 64; I think Nintendo's always trying to think of ways to increase time players would spend on the franchise but the roots of it harken back to fast arcade shooting where getting a better score is the main draw of playing levels again. This time around it seems that they are trying to push multiple, distinct ways of defeating bosses with the vehicles. When you think about it, $60 for Starfox may be a really hard sell to a lot of gamers.

Yarbskoo

I think I'm done with all of the hyperbole. It feels like you have to act super angry when talking about games that disappoint you on forums because it seems like just liking or just disliking a game is ignored. It's tiring feigning all this anger.

It's for the best. Life's stressful enough without getting all worked up because a game doesn't appeal to you.

Not everyone can enjoy every game. Hell, there are some genres that even I don't enjoy, and I seem to be able to find more to like in more games than most people. Even if people completely stop making the kinds of games I like, there are still more great games in my backlog than I'll probably ever be able to play.

Brqan

Holy shit I just watched The day 1 segment for Metroid Prime Federation Force wtf was up with that Meltdown from JC. I loled so hard.

Just like 64; I think Nintendo's always trying to think of ways to increase time players would spend on the franchise but the roots of it harken back to fast arcade shooting where getting a better score is the main draw of playing levels again. This time around it seems that they are trying to push multiple, distinct ways of defeating bosses with the vehicles. When you think about it, $60 for Starfox may be a really hard sell to a lot of gamers.

That's exactly what it is for me. Which really blows because when am I gonna get any kind of sale on a first party nintendo game? I'm STILL waiting on a few from them haha.
As dumb as it might sound, I just need something else to keep the experience fresh outside of the campaign.

Kinsei

Banned
It's for the best. Life's stressful enough without getting all worked up because a game doesn't appeal to you.

Not everyone can enjoy every game. Hell, there are some genres that even I don't enjoy, and I seem to be able to find more to like in more games than most people. Even if people completely stop making the kinds of games I like, there are still more great games in my backlog than I'll probably ever be able to play.

Yeah. I thought it was just how discussion of entertainment went on the Internet as it seemed to be everywhere so I decided to massively exaggerate. After nearly two years of being on a forum it really sapped away the fun I have discussing games.

zroid

Banned
Yeah. I thought it was just how discussion of entertainment went on the Internet as it seemed to be everywhere so I decided to massively exaggerate. After nearly two years of being on a forum it really sapped away the fun I have discussing games.

I think I know how you feel. There's a reason I don't post on gaming side much anymore outside of a handful of subscribed threads.

At some point you realize it's just fucking video games, man. People getting so heated about them doesn't make any sense to me.

xaszatm

Banned
So, what were the total Twitch numbers for these Treehouse Streams? It seems that it reached aroudn 1.4 million views on youtube but Twitch usually has more views so I'm curious to see how this did.

MouldyK

So, what were the total Twitch numbers for these Treehouse Streams? It seems that it reached aroudn 1.4 million views on youtube but Twitch usually has more views so I'm curious to see how this did.

Day 1 it went from 40,000 to 20,000 like 9pm GMT and stayed there.
Day 2 was a solid 20,000.
Day 3 was a solid 10,000.

I think last year there were 20,000-30,000 each day, so decrease, but still more than Sony's Viewers I heard.

So while the DE wern't amazing, Treehouse can still be considered a win in my book. :D

nubbe

Treehouse was great
Long demos and no stupid host that has no clue

They managed to make uninteresting games look decent and good games look fantastic

Qurupeke

I still have missed quite a few segments, hopefully I'll catch up later with them. Generally though I liked what I've seen. I loved Genei Ibun Roku #FE's segment the most as it was essentially our first look at this game and nailed everything I wanted to see. Things like StarFox or Yoshi were good too but I feel we saw them quite a few times. On the other hand, Mario Maker was never boring.

Treehouse was pretty awesome this year too. Hopefully they'll keep doing it for the years to come.

Lettuce

So just watched the Mario Tennis video, I sure hope there's an option to disable those mushrooms, they look annoying as fuck. Your force to watch the transformation animation each time which takes you out the game, they seem to be thrown out onto the court withway too much frequency and it you take the front of the court when in mushroom mode the opposing team can't see their side of the court!

What's the deal with having to press 2 button combinations to do either a lob or drop shot the developers do realise that the controllers have more than 2 buttons right so why not assign the lob and drop to X or Y buttons??

Other that these 2 issues it still looks like fun to play just gutted the mario golf game never came to the Wii U

Maiar_m

So just watched the Mario Tennis video, I sure hope there's an option to disable those mushrooms, they look annoying as fuck. Your force to watch the transformation animation each time which takes you out the game, they seem to thrown out on to the court way too much frequency and it you take the front of the court when in mushroom mode the opposing team can't see their side of the court!

What's the deal with having to press 2 button combinations to do either a lob or drop shot the developers do realise that the controls have more than 2 buttons right so why not assign the lob and drop to X or Y buttons??

Other that these 2 issues it still looks like fun to play just gutted the mario golf game never came to the Wii U

That button pattern was also there on the 3DS game (and already sucked). Treehouse made me want games I didn't know I wanted, and yet they more or less confirmed I won't be enjoying Mario Tennis. Man, I need Everybody's Tennis Vita :(

xaszatm

Banned
So just watched the Mario Tennis video, I sure hope there's an option to disable those mushrooms, they look annoying as fuck. Your force to watch the transformation animation each time which takes you out the game, they seem to be thrown out onto the court withway too much frequency and it you take the front of the court when in mushroom mode the opposing team can't see their side of the court!

What's the deal with having to press 2 button combinations to do either a lob or drop shot the developers do realise that the controllers have more than 2 buttons right so why not assign the lob and drop to X or Y buttons??

Well, they did say that they were playing "mega-mode" which seems to imply that the Mega-Mushrooms aren't found in the "regular-mode" game, so I think you're safe.

Treehouse was great
Long demos and no stupid host that has no clue

They managed to make uninteresting games look decent and good games look fantastic

Sam did a tremendous job guiding the guests and keeping everything moving (since she was the host for the bulk of the demos.)

I don't think you're crazy and I feel there has been mostly positive impressions.

Then there's this tweet: https://twitter.com/gamespite/status/611309700752216066

I have strongly felt that this is THE Yoshi game I've been waiting for since Yoshi's Island since last year.

wow wow wow wow wow

I think I trust Parish more than the dude on GAF who said Woolly World is worse than Yoshi's Story. Or my tastes align more. Or whatever. Why the fuck do I have to wait until October?!?!

While I was mostly disappointed in the Digital Event, the Treehouse continues to kill it. So thanks to Treehouse!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Treehouse is great and it's such a shame people can't see that Nintendo's E3 showing consists of more than just the 50 minute Direct Digital Event.

Even games that I'd usually have no interest in like Skylanders were made interesting with the developers talking about the design process and showing concept art and test levels.

Now I have to someone dehype myself for Super Mario Maker for the next few months so the wait won't be painful.

Yeah, Treehouse has been the highlight of Nintendo's offerings these last 2 years and they need to continue this for the forseeable future

wait, Mario Maker is at Best Buy

guess I'll be skipping lunch

Taker666

Treehouse is great and it's such a shame people can't see that Nintendo's E3 showing consists of more than just the 50 minute Direct Digital Event.

Even games that I'd usually have no interest in like Skylanders were made interesting with the developers talking about the design process and showing concept art and test levels.

Now I have to someone dehype myself for Super Mario Maker for the next few months so the wait won't be painful.

Everything bar the Digital Event was great...but if Nintendo had actually announced more new content and the Digital Event was better received...then the Treehouse viewer numbers would have been far higher. Much tougher to get people tuning in to Treehouse when a big chunk of the content has been seen before.

I'd imagine Treehouse figures will skyrocket next year when they have playable Zelda Wii U and maybe a sneak peak at NX.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Day 1 it went from 40,000 to 20,000 like 9pm GMT and stayed there.
Day 2 was a solid 20,000.
Day 3 was a solid 10,000.

I think last year there were 20,000-30,000 each day, so decrease, but still more than Sony's Viewers I heard.

So while the DE wern't amazing, Treehouse can still be considered a win in my book. :D
Last year at the lowest it was 30,000ish (Sword and Soldiers I think?), highest was around 80-90,000 (Hyrule Warriors). I think most of the viewers came straight off the strong Digital Event.

The format for this year's DE was still great though (Muppets, the Mario transitions where he turned into the main characters from the upcoming announcement). Just the content wasn't as strong as it needed to be. Hopefully it doesn't impact the momentum Splatoon was generating, but I feel like that's wishful thinking...

the treehouse was great. this year i didn't have time to watch it all live, but i loooooooooved starfox zero, it's just great and i loved the levels that they played. Super mario maker looks so good too! and games like xenoblade and yoshi that are on my radar a long time but now i just want to play them had great showings too.

I feel very positive towards this year for nintendo and i am so happy that starfox looks great (and the impressions tell me exactly that).

Great e3 for everyone this year in my opinion.

Just like last year, Treehouse proves to be one of the best things about E3 for Nintendo.
Despite their disappointing DE, on the long run there seems to be quite a few games i ACTUALLY want on my WiiU:
- Devil's Third
- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Project Zero: Maiden of Black water
- Super Mario Maker
- Starfox Zero
- Fire Emblem X SMT RPG

Now that's a lot of games....

-Minsc-

I've been catching up on some of the stuff i've missed and Zelda (can't wait to try it this weekend!), M&L, Super Mystery Dungeon, and Skylanders all look super fun. It sucks that quite a few games didn't appeal to me this year (FE, SMTxFE, Fatal Frame, and so on) but thems the breaks I guess.

I think I'm done with all of the hyperbole. It feels like you have to act super angry when talking about games that disappoint you on forums because it seems like just liking or just disliking a game is ignored. It's tiring feigning all this anger.

I haven't seriously taken part in those type of discussions since the GameCube days on the IGN forums. Even then I was never hardcore into it. These past few years my NeoGAF posting has mainly stuck to the Minecraft thread. There's no need to pretend to be angry when posting your dislike for a game. Present your view and let it set there for everyone to read. If some angry gamer misinterprets your post, so be it. They are free to wallow in misery. It's important to remember the angry minority are not the only people on NeoGAF. Never forget the people who never post. While they may not share their thought, your post will still make an impression on them. :)

Ninjimbo

Honestly, SMT x FE could be my most anticipated game after its showing. The anime aesthetic is slick. The dungeons remind me of Persona. The story and the focus on idol culture and jpop is very intriguing since I can't recall another videogame like it. It's a fresh concept.

The other games look great, but SMT x FE came out looking like a crown jewel for me. It's the game I didn't know I wanted.

Gsnap

I've been catching up on some of the stuff i've missed and Zelda (can't wait to try it this weekend!), M&L, Super Mystery Dungeon, and Skylanders all look super fun. It sucks that quite a few games didn't appeal to me this year (FE, SMTxFE, Fatal Frame, and so on) but thems the breaks I guess.

You've been overreacting on purpose? Doesn't sound very good for your health.

Can't say I'm surprised though. With the amount of vitriol people spew about games (not even just Nintendo), I imagine a decent chunk of it must be purposeful, for dramatic effect.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Got a few sections to catch up on still but treehouse delivered again. Great show. Hope to see it back again next year.

When Reggie appeared, he seemed to indicate that it would return for PAX and Comic Con too, just like last year.

Honestly, SMT x FE could be my most anticipated game after its showing. The anime aesthetic is slick. The dungeons remind me of Persona. The story and the focus on idol culture and jpop is very intriguing since I can't recall another videogame like it. It's a fresh concept.

The other games look great, but SMT x FE came out looking like a crown jewel for me. It's the game I didn't know I wanted.

Totally agree. Even when they started showing it I was brushing it off. Once they got into a battle they had my attention, but after the boss fight I knew I had to play it.

I'm most excited to play SMTxFE and StarFox Zero.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Because Treehouse seems to give a far better overview of the games than the Digital Event, I'm wondering if Nintendo could sort of do an E3 in reverse next year, and leave the Digital Event to last, after we've already seen all the games / console shown off in Treehouse. Not knowing what they were going to play would keep everyone glued.

Also, Treehouse demonstrating how the console actually worked would avoid any Wii U-style confusion.

Then on the last day, the Digital Event would be a 50 minute recap of the Treehouse, with possibly one surprise at the end.

Nanashrew

Banned
Because Treehouse seems to give a far better overview of the games than the Digital Event, I'm wondering if Nintendo could sort of do an E3 in reverse next year, and leave the Digital Event to last, after we've already seen all the games / console shown off in Treehouse. Not knowing what they were going to play would keep everyone glued.

Also, Treehouse demonstrating how the console actually worked would avoid any Wii U-style confusion.

Then on the last day, the Digital Event would be a 50 minute recap of the Treehouse, with possibly one surprise at the end.

Play a trailer before they play a game or play a trailer/sneak peek after playing? I know during SMT x FE they played a trailer first, but Xenoblade X they played a sneak peek last.

Sendou

How many people watched all the games Treehouse showed and how many people watched all the games Digital Event showed? I think that should answer the question. Nobody will watch anything like the Digital Event if they know what they're going to see.

Nanashrew

Banned
How many people watched all the games Treehouse showed and how many people watched all the games Digital Event showed? I think that should answer the question. Nobody will watch anything like the Digital Event if they know what they're going to see.

I watched every second like I did last year.

Shauni

Did you bring this up earlier? Because I know someone did, and no, it's not a good idea. It would literally make the Digital Event completely worthless.

I expect next year they might have a live conference, though, since they'll be unveiling the NX.

Pikma

Banned

Even if I know where you're coming from that doesn't make that much sense, Nintendo cannot expect to keep people watching a 7-hour livestream just to see what else they announce. I mean, we (i.e. GAF) would easily do it but the remaining 99% of the people interested in their products probably wouldn't. It's just unreasonable, it would limit their exposure, badly.

I think we're overly complicating things now, the reason those game announcement sucked for us is because those products were nothing close to what people expected, they were not what people wanted. And the reason the Treehouse Live changes so many opinions is because people gave those titles a chance and they were simply not as bad as people first thought. Having said that, I doubt people's reaction towards Federstion Force and that Animal Crossing thing would have been different if they were revealed at Treehouse Live.

Oddish1

Did you bring this up earlier? Because I know someone did, and no, it's not a good idea. It would literally make the Digital Event completely worthless.

I expect next year they might have a live conference, though, since they'll be unveiling the NX.

They may not unveil the NX at E3, especially if they're planning on releasing it that year.

Nanashrew

Banned
So rewatching day 3 of Star Fox Zero, depending on how you defeat a boss it will say Mission Complete or Mission Accomplished depending on how you beat the boss. Option 1) you defeat the boss normally but he gets away which gives you mission complete status, option 2) defeat the core and you destroy the boss entirely, you get mission accomplished.

I wonder what this will open up for the game through story or route.

Also they talk a lot about combos and quicker kills reward you with more points. Example, he took awhile to defeat the boss on Corneria so he got the standard +10 but in the next level against Pigma he did it so fast he got +30. So, speedrun strats!

vid

So rewatching day 3 of Star Fox Zero, depending on how you defeat a boss it will say Mission Complete or Mission Accomplished depending on how you beat the boss. Option 1) you defeat the boss normally but he gets away which gives you mission complete status, option 2) defeat the core and you destroy the boss entirely, you get mission accomplished.

I wonder what this will open up for the game through story or route.

Also they talk a lot about combos and quicker kills reward you with more points. Example, he took awhile to defeat the boss on Corneria so he got the standard +10 but in the next level against Pigma he did it so fast he got +30. So, speedrun strats!

These are both mechanics introduced in Star Fox 64! Pretty cool to see how much they're pulling from the best entry in the series, at least in terms of design and game play.

Top Bottom