• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2015: The PS4 will be manufactured in Brazil

Loudninja

Translation:

The news that everyone expected finally arrived. The PlayStation 4 will be manufactured in Brazil, as it aims to reduce the official price of the device which, since its launch in late 2013, is $ 4000 - one of the most expensive in the world. With the assembly in the country - the game will be assembled by Flextronics, in the Manaus Free Trade Zone - the new generation of console will cost much less. The announcement was made during the Sony conference for Latin America at E3 2015 on Tuesday (16).

The PS4 manufactured in Brazil go on sale in October, but the new price was not disclosed. "We want to provide the national unit already in October," said Anderson Gracias, head of the PlayStation division in Brazil, in an exclusive interview with IGN Brazil.

"Over the past two years, we hear what Brazilians called for gamers. They wanted a fair price for the console. And with that, we announced the domestic manufacturing," he said
http://translate.google.com/transla...tation-4-sera-fabricado-no-brasil&prev=search

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Well that's cool, I was hoping that would happen. I'm probably getting one near the end of this year.

/E/: Wait I misread the text as a price drop for the general manufacturing.

Grey market price will be better, what's the point?

When the difference is small, it is better to get a product with official support. It also shows some of Sony commitment to the marhuet, which is great for us.

Hope I can get SFV for a fair price here when it lands.

Nakho

Great! Will probably buy it around March for all those delicious games coming on Spring (actually Fall in Brazil).

It will probably reduce the prices on official retailers like Americanas, even though their price was already much lower than $4000. And the warranty is a must, I have unfortunately seen many friends' PS4 getting broken recently :/

fedexpeon

Banned
I love globalization.
They are going to finish the console in China except for one screw, and ship it over to Brazil for that Brazil-made screw to be screwed in.
Everyone wins.

Tunin

Man, this is huge. In some webstores we are already seeing almost a price match with the grey market. I wonder if there is going to be a price drop, I really hope so.

Ogawa-san

Now if only they could find a way to press game discs locally too, it could be like on PC where you can find MK X for around $35 on either Steam or physically. Meanwhile it's almost $70 on PS4/X1.

I love globalization.
They are going to finish the console in China except for one screw, and ship it over to Brazil for that Brazil-made screw to be screwed in.
Everyone wins.

Hyperbole apart, to lower the costs stuff has to go through customs as PARTS. So yeah, they will probably assemble the boards and such elsewhere, and send everything to be sandwiched between plastic in here.

Dr. Buni

After Sony having an incredible conference with a couple games which are unlikely to come to PC (the first party titles like Horizon and TLG, plus third parties like Kingdom Hearts maybe) and Nintendo fucking it up and sending the message they don't care about the Wii U and now with the news of the PS4 being manufactured in the shithole of a country where I live in, I am feeling really tempted to buy a PS4. If the console had backwards compatibility, I would be 100% sure about buying it as soon as possible.

Sethista

I love globalization.
Everyone wins.

Yeah, thats not how it works... Brazil is a completely different beast when it coems to manufacturing.

jett

D-Member
That's great, maybe the PS4 will be cheaper everywhere in LatAm soon enough. The "official" price is ridiculous. $640 where I live.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I really feel for gamers in this region. They seem really dedicated even though they're getting constantly screwed with pricing.

Kssio_Aug

Thats nice, but I still wonder its price.

Still, if something considerably fair, I'd rather buy the national console with warranty then buying in the gray market.

Hot damn that's pretty cool. Is there a precedent for a company opening a manufacturing plant basically just to lower price to consumers?

Massa

what about games in brazil? how much does a full retail game cost?

Third party games are now at R$250, about US$80.

The last few first party releases (The Order, Bloodborne) were R$180 or US$58.

That said prices are a lot more flexible, you can pretty much get at least 5% off day one by paying in cash, and bigger discounts at online retailers are quite common.

Lehow

what about games in brazil? how much does a full retail game cost?

The Real is a roller coaster right now due the economic crisis Brazil is facing then it's difficult to point a price in dollars, but I try to give some context.

In 2010 in the Brazil's economic peak, a dollar used to cost around R$ 1.70 and an official game would cost around R$180.00 for a third party release and R$150.00 for a first party release. So a game would cost around $105.00 and $88.00 respectively. Hence everyone and their dogs used to import games a lot.

Nowadays the a dollar is costing around R$ 3.10, but as a said is a roller coast( in januarya was costing around R$ 2.70 and in the beginning of June around R$3.25) and of course the games prices increased since most of them are imported. So a first party is costing R$ 180.00($58.00) and third parties R$230.00($74.00)

M3d10n

Hyperbole apart, to lower the costs stuff has to go through customs as PARTS. So yeah, they will probably assemble the boards and such elsewhere, and send everything to be sandwiched between plastic in here.

That's how it works, actually. The taxes on components is lower than the tax on end-user products. You can also set up the factory in regions with tax incentives, further driving the costs down.

While the tax system desperately needs a reform, I find the idea of "bring some of the jobs here and we'll throw you a bone" a valid one.

So the Brazilian price will drop in October? I am absolutely reading way too into this, but I wonder if this will line up with any plans Sony has for a worldwide price drop, I mean Paris Games Week is the next time Sony is doing a big Playstation show and that is at the end of October. I could totally see them announcing a price drop there that goes into effect immediately and group the Brazilian price drop in with the announcement.

Owensboro

That's the way to get around Brazil's insane tariffs!

Hah, then Sony will just have to worry about greasing the guy's pocket at the docks who's "randomly" decided to hold all the shipment in port until he's paid under the table. Doing business in Brazil is freaking awful man. I used to work with a guy who told horror stories about dealing with exporting goods to Brazil. Things like how corporate policy won't let you bribe officials to get stock through customs, but how anyone they hired to work the Brazil account would basically be expected to do it and report nothing to the company. If they got caught, it was their own neck on the line and the company would disavow all of it. If they reported anything, they would be fired for not doing their job.

Galdius

What isn't very good is that Sony said they are going to probably price it around R$2500 (US$806). They have already agreed on a price but will only announce it closer to launch.

Meanwhile you can find an official Xbox One for R$1800-1900 (US$580-612).

Meaty

I really feel for gamers in this region. They seem really dedicated even though they're getting constantly screwed with pricing.

This x10000 times.

Sadly its one of the reasons why piracy is still so strong here.

If prices werent so bad... =/

Top Bottom