• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-EA] EA PLAY Press Conference E3 2018 June 9 (complete, rate it!)

EA Conference - Rate it

• A

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • B

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • C

Votes: 21 11.7%
  • D

Votes: 34 18.9%
  • F

Votes: 45 25.0%
  • (asleep)

Votes: 72 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wipeout364

I have to say my expectations were so low I don’t think I could be disappointed and I wasn’t. I thought it was a C grade. I think the games look good for what they are. I honestly doubt I will buy any of them except Anthem.

I liked Andrea Renee she is the biggest bioware fan I’ve ever seen and so she seemed very genuine on stage which I think was great. I’m Not going to dump on someone who is such a fan. Great choice for host.

The problem overall was there was was so little that was exciting. The sequels are all so by the books and the indie games to me just didn’t pop. Everything looks competent and well made but there is no excitement there. It all relies on Anthem but I feel we’ve been hearing about it forever.

dsier

What in the actual **** was that? Like seriously. If you were to make a list of everything NOT to do at an E3 press conference, EA just did it all:

Annoying, cringy hosts? Check.
No new AAA game? Check.
Trailers instead of gameplay? Check.
Focus on sports titles which are horribly misplaced at an E3 conference? You got it.

I could go on but the point remains the same: this press conference was absolutely horrible in every way. Only good thing is that E3 can only get better from here.

Altares13th

F for me.
Sea of solitude seems good tho. Anthem being multiplayer first (even if playable solo) killed it for me.
Sports... Just no.

Last edited:
What in the actual **** was that? Like seriously. If you were to make a list of everything NOT to do at an E3 press conference, EA just did it all:

Annoying, cringy hosts? Check.
No new AAA game? Check.
Trailers instead of gameplay? Check.
Focus on sports titles which are horribly misplaced at an E3 conference? You got it.

I could go on but the point remains the same: this press conference was absolutely horrible in every way. Only good thing is that E3 can only get better from here.

Even the stage was bad, it was like plastic chairs from beach

Last edited:

Strazyplus

I am absolutely not hyped for anything from EA, they have been doing back to back on bad practices. I like anthem to be good because I love sci-fi but its EA they time and time again proved that they can't be trusted.
Definitely agree with this. I have very low expectations on EA and I'm not really into their major franchises such as BF and Star Wars. I think that Anthem will be a beautiful game to look at and boring as hell to play, simply not for me. It will be interesting to see how they handle microtransactions in coming titles. EA can probably never drop them completely but at the same time they will get lots of criticism when including them. I don't trust them one bit and think the industry should be less like EA wants it to be.

I was going to take EA as everything they say and do with massive mounds of salt but that show, was flat terrible more so than I expected I was afraid they would come out with a game that would tug on me and make me want to play but absolutely not this time. Good I won't have any urge to install origin and let it die.

EA failed my low expectations... Lets hope Bethesda & Devolver Digital give us a good show tomorrow. please Microsoft give pc more games :>

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Very 6/10 for me (or C in this case). A few decent games shown such as Anthem, Unravel 2, and Sea of Solitude - the rest is what you would expect for EA. Nothing fantastic, but nothing horrible. Quite average.

Woffls

F

The lows weren't egregious or anything approaching previous years, but it was just consistently dull and uninspired. EA are a huge publisher, and we barely had any content or reveals. The conference was competently executed, but I won't remember any of it tomorrow and they may as well not have turned up.

Codes 208

F

EA has completely lost any sense of what gamers want. That event was for the investors, not the fans. And even then, it was shit. Talking 90% of the time and making announcements with no gameplay or teasers (like respawn's star wars game) and Anthem look uninspired and having a dev dairy in the middle of your reveal is NOT what I want in a press reveal, save that shit for later in private interviews or dev vlogs like bungie's vidocs.

KiteGr

does anyone knows any place where I can download the E3 conferences, so I can watch them on my own to some place with no internet?

down 2 orth

Anthem looked kind of interesting, but everything else was boring or cringeworthy. I stopped watching half an hour through to play some Knack.

Bryank75

Banned
Anthem could be good, I want to see more and I won’t be going in without a lot of knowledge and reviews cause I’ve been burned by bioware before. Wish they had the Respawn game on cause that’s all I have interest in otherwise.
Battlefield V looks like it’s trying to push an agenda I have no time for and I was never into the sports games.

WaterAstro

Anthem not having PVP... lol it's worse than Destiny.

Watching Lirik's reaction to the whole thing and this was the funniest part.

Last edited:

NandN

Neo Member
I'm glad I didn't watch that conference.It doesn't look like I missed anything at all.They also didn't announce any Switch games,except Fifa.

JimiNutz

Banned
You may still get that, you'll just need to watch the xbox conference tomorrow.

While I appreciate that Battlefield V will be shown again by MS in their conference, EA still should have given BFV a better/bigger segment of their conference. They could have easily had more of a multiplayer focus in their conference (by showing extended MP gameplay) and still given BFV a big single player reveal/stage demo at the MS conference.

At least we know that it'll be a game about jedi and lightsabers and thank fuck for that cuz we haven't seen one since TFU2. Really looking forward to play and see this game in action, If anyone can do it, it's Respawn... at this point, cuz Visceral is no more.

Yeah that all sounds cool but the game was still announced in the cheapest, most anticlimatic way possible. Why waste such a potentially exciting announcement in this way?

Overall I gave EA a D, not for the quality of the games (Battlefield V, Anthem, Unravel 2, Sea of Solitude and Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order all looked or sounded promising) but for the terrible decisions that they made in terms of showcasing their games and failing to build hype.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Yeah that all sounds cool but the game was still announced in the cheapest, most anticlimatic way possible. Why waste such a potentially exciting announcement in this way?
Probably there's nothing to show yet. Maybe we'll see at least teaser during Game Awards this year if Geoff can make it happen.

Kadayi

Banned
The more I think about that C&C mobile game the more I'm like

giphy.webp

Whose the demographic for this? I'm old enough to have played C&C as a kid, and I'm not interested in a mobile Vs mode. I'm not sure what the interest level is in RTS these days given we live in a world of infinite distractions, so having concentrated leisure time is a luxury, but I'd have thought they could have taken the principles of C&C and spun it into a turn-based game or some such, ala XCOM

EDMIX

Watching this for details on Anthem and possible Switch-announcements.

thats extremely unlikely. Consider Anthem was their new IP and its not coming to Switch, so I don't think EA has much planned for Switch considering their actions as of late, even games that clearly can run on Switch are not coming to Switch by EA and many other publishers, so I think its based on how Nintendo's install base doesn't really buy much 3rd party compared to PC, PS, XB etc.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Horrid show!

EA would be dead if all the 12 year olds didnt buy their shooters and if casuals didnt buy the yearly SPORTS games.

KevinKeene

Banned
thats extremely unlikely. Consider Anthem was their new IP and its not coming to Switch, so I don't think EA has much planned for Switch considering their actions as of late, even games that clearly can run on Switch are not coming to Switch by EA and many other publishers, so I think its based on how Nintendo's install base doesn't really buy much 3rd party compared to PC, PS, XB etc.

'Nintendo's install base' buys lots of 3rd-party as sales numbers show.

And why are you responding to my pre-show predictions AFTER the show? Huh

JimiNutz

Banned
Probably there's nothing to show yet. Maybe we'll see at least teaser during Game Awards this year if Geoff can make it happen.

Then they shouldn't have mentioned it at all. I can't believe that they don't have a single piece of concept art or a logo or just anything that they could show off to build hype for the game.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Then they shouldn't have mentioned it at all. I can't believe that they don't have a single piece of concept art or a logo or just anything that they could show off to build hype for the game.
But... EA already tried to do something like this with Andromeda and other games (some of which got cancelled) during E3 show 3 years ago and... there wasn't any hype around those games cuz we barely seen something and barey knew anything about them and people complained about concept art and early "making of" dev diaries during the show. So.... what's the point in any of this? I mean, who knows, maybe EA will cancel (and they sure can, just give them a reason) this game aswell for not meeting current trends standards like they did with Visceral's game and all the hype will be for nothing.

Last edited:

GenericUser

Didnt they kill of the company after they bought it and it didnt sell like crack?
They did, but I'd argue that other devs could also make a good CnC game. I mean it's not that hard. Semi-realistic setting, cool story presented in equally cool FMVs, base building, tank rushing - that's basically it.

Instead, they thought a mobile game would be a good idea. How out of touch and greedy are these decision makers?

Ixiah

Banned
I would have forgiven anything if they announced Mass Effect Trilogy Remastered, but noo, lets exhume C&C as a fucking Mobile Game......

JimiNutz

Banned
But... EA already tried to do something like this with Andromeda and other games (some of which got cancelled) during E3 show 3 years ago and... there wasn't any hype around those games cuz we barely seen something and barey knew anything about them and people complained about concept art and early "making of" dev diaries during the show. So.... what's the point in any of this? I mean, who knows, maybe EA will cancel (and they sure can, just give them a reason) this game aswell for not meeting current trends standards like they did with Visceral's game and all the hype will be for nothing.

But this is no different - they have still announced something with absolutely nothing to show. So they haven't learnt a lesson at all, they've just done exactly the same thing as always, announce a game way too early with nothing to show, except this time they literally have NOTHING to show so it was just a complete waste of time that achieved nothing. Concept art or dev videos at least get people talking/thinking. This was just laughable and sums up the quality of their presentation in general.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
They did, but I'd argue that other devs could also make a good CnC game. I mean it's not that hard. Semi-realistic setting, cool story presented in equally cool FMVs, base building, tank rushing - that's basically it.

Instead, they thought a mobile game would be a good idea. How out of touch and greedy are these decision makers?
If it cant make em BF money why even try? Right

Fbh

D.
Battlefield 5 looks fun IMO.

Anthem looks decent but they didn't really sell it as hard as I was expecting. It's their massive new IP, the one that has the top people at Bioware working on it, the one that was so important they gave Mass Effect to an inexperienced team so everyone else could focus on it. And while it looked fun it didn't really seem like a must buy to me.

They announced a Star Wars game by talking to a dev sitting in the audience. No image, no teaser trailer, no screenshot not even a CG trailer. Literally just a guy in the audience like "yeah, we are working on this". It's respawn so I'm sure the game will be great, but that has to be one of the most boring ways imaginable to announce a game

Petrae

I gave the show a D. The two indie presentations were the only things that really saved it from being worse— and there were plenty of negatives, mostly having to do with stage presence and presentation.

The Command & Conquer routine was fucking terrible. Not the game, really— but the way it was presented, in a forced eSports environment, complete with over-the-top shoutcasting that gave me a headache. I almost tapped out during this segment.

Andrew Wilson’s droning monologues also went to support my assertion that on-stage/live press events are out of touch with current audiences and need to be at least re-evaluated— if not completely removed. The audience here isn’t your stuffy investor type anymore; this is supposed to be a fan festival, and fans don’t give a shit about “disruption” and “investment”. The charity monologue felt like it was being delivered by a mannequin.

I’m actually a fan of sports games, so I wanted to see them on stage. The presentations were awful. They didn’t tell us much about the games themselves; instead, we got nervous members of the FIFA team, a worthless eSports Q&A between an NFL wideout and a Madden Bowl winner who nobody could identify with, and a trailer for NBA Live that really didn’t tell us anything. Adding insult to injury, EA gave footage and info about Madden 19 features to “influencers” to share on their YouTube channels instead of working them into a sizzle reel or talking about them onstage. That’s a fucking joke.

I didn’t mind the awkward Battlefront II guy. The Battlefield V presentation could’ve been better— and if the presenters thought that announcing “no lootboxes and no Premium Pass” was going to win them some kind of accolade, that was just dumb.

Sadly, by the time Anthem was discussed, I had mentally checked out of this event.

One thing stands out to me: Crowbcat already has a nice supply of cringe footage for this year’s E3 video.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Okay who voted "A"
Come on, admit it which one of you thought that was actually good.

Top Bottom