• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[E3-Nin] Nintendo E3 2018 Thread (RATE THE SHOW)

Rate the show

• A

Votes: 13 3.5%
  • B

Votes: 46 12.4%
  • C

Votes: 91 24.5%
  • D

Votes: 124 33.4%
  • E

Votes: 97 26.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Andyliini

Now that Nintendo has officially announced it's plans for E3, it's time to put up the (un)official discussion topic for the matter. This was just posted online:

31317754_1702165843201195_4691230711124852736_n.jpg

Where can I follow the show?
----------​

So, we begin on Monday June 11 at 3:30 p.m. PT, June 12th 00:30 CET with Splatoon 2 World Championships Opening rounds.
Tuesday June 12 begins at 9 a.m. PT, 18.00 CET with Nintendo Swith Video Presentation. The presentation includes games releasing in 2018 including Smash Bros. for Nintendo Switch. Nintendo Treehouse Live begins right after the presentation. Later that day, Splatoon 2 World Championships conclude, and Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018 is also being held.
Nintendo Treehouse Live is promised to once again go on for three days, so more gaming content will be available during the whole time the show floor is open.

I'd like this thread to become the official discussion thread for everything Nintendo during E3 timefrime. I did not name this as Official Topic, unless mods also think it's OK to call it that.
Also, are hype trains still not OK?

Archive:

Splatoon 2 World Championship Opening Rounds

Day 1
Nintendo Direct E3 2018
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Part 1
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu & Pokemon Let's Go Eevee
Fortnite
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Part 2
Overcooked 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Part 3
Splatoon 2 World Championship Finals
Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018

Day 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Challenge Battle Mode
Super Mario Party
Hollow Knight
Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion: Part 1
Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Donkey Kong Adventure
Mario Tennis Aces: Part 1
Octopath Traveler
Splatoon 2 - Octo Expansion: Part 2
Daemon X Machina
Mario Tennis Aces: Part 2
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate: Part 4

Day 3
Arcade Archives - Donkey Kong & Sky Skipper
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Torna - The Golden Country
Super Mario Party
Mario Tennis Aces
Octopath Traveler
Killer Queen Black
Sendoff

Bye Bye for another year :(
Nintendo-Treehouse-Live-E3-2018-good-bye.png

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I know we might see SMTV get released this year but I still some info and gameplay footage on it.

I also know people kind of getting sick of WiiU ports but I don’t care, I want Tokyo Mirage Session on switch I want it now!!!

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
The only things I majorly care about atm (bar unforseen announcements) are Fire Emblem Switch and Metroid Prime 4. I really hope we get some footage and release dates.

ExpandKong

Banned
Expecting some sort of Zelda HD Collection or individual re-releases, doubt we’ll get news about the next new Zelda until maybe next E3.

Snake for Smash pls

Codes 208

Kinda hoping for a 3ds successor. Switch is awesome as a hybrid system but Id still like a traditional handheld.

And as far as i know, hype trains are still not allowed. They werent last year iirc.

ExpandKong

Banned
Kinda hoping for a 3ds successor. Switch is awesome as a hybrid system but Id still like a traditional handheld.

What is the Switch not doing for you that makes it not a traditional style handheld? Genuinely curious - the only thing I miss about the DS line is the clamshell design, my Switch is primarily used as a handheld for me and I don’t really feel like it’s lacking in that regard.

Codes 208

What is the Switch not doing for you that makes it not a traditional style handheld? Genuinely curious - the only thing I miss about the DS line is the clamshell design, my Switch is primarily used as a handheld for me and I don’t really feel like it’s lacking in that regard.
The switch lacks BC with any prior system which does hurt its number of accessible games. If they make a 3ds successor with BC with 3ds and ds titles, it that alone would give it one of the largest game libraries of any new system.

On top of that portibility is a huge factor. I can fit my n3ds in my pocket, i cant fit my switch in my pocket and my 3ds' battery lasts quite a bit longer than the switch's which is equally important to being a handheld.

Theres nothing wrong with the switch but i will always see it as a console first and a handheld second.

ar0s

Agreed - I use mine exclusively handheld other than playing multiplayer and it's the perfect handheld basically.

Has anyone used a battery pack with the Switch when out and about? I am tempted but using the (official Sony Vita one :mad:) broke my Vita 1000 which makes me hesitant.

Codes 208

Agreed - I use mine exclusively handheld other than playing multiplayer and it's the perfect handheld basically.

Has anyone used a battery pack with the Switch when out and about? I am tempted but using the (official Sony Vita one :mad:) broke my Vita 1000 which makes me hesitant.
It would be cheaper and probably more effective to buy a portable battery charger (not a dinky 1,000-4,000 but 10k-20k. I bought a Anker 20k from walmart and never looked back.

But i will say that having a battery charger does drag on a bit when youre going for portibility.

I'm so bored by this online MP focused Switch nonsense
The online implementation sucks. It was easier and more fun to play GEARS online in 2006 with voice chat than it is to play Mario Kart or Splatoon or Smash online now without voice chat.

Let's see how much Namco has ruined Metroid and what other SP stuff is coming so I can be excited about the switch again.

OH-MyCar

Probably not a popular opinion, but I really hope it's not "The Smash Bros E3" (+Online!) at the expense of just about everything else.

iconmaster

Banned
Keep in mind that last year Nintendo saved at least one pretty major announcement for Treehouse Live -- I'm thinking of Metroid: Samus Returns, which turned out to be one of my all-time favorite Metroid games. o_O

So don't assume everything will be squeezed into the video presentation.

And as far as i know, hype trains are still not allowed.

I'll be riding one in my heart.

Last edited:
I'm assuming Smash will take center stage like Zelda and Mario did in the past few years. For me it's gonna come down to the new game announcements they'll do. 2018 has been pretty disappointing thus far. I was hoping they could keep up the schedule with one major release each month, but all we've gotten this year is ports. Those are great for filling gaps, but at this point there's a gaping hole in the Switch release schedule and these ports just aren't enough for me. On top of that, we don't know too much about the second half of 2018 yet, except for some vague promises and assumptions. They have to show and announce a bunch of games for 2018 if they want to have a year as solid as 2017. I'm a bit sceptical since they didn't announce much for the second half of the year in 2017 either.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Probably not a popular opinion, but I really hope it's not "The Smash Bros E3" (+Online!) at the expense of just about everything else.

Agreed. For a lifelong Nintendo fan who started back at the NES launch, one franchise I still don't care for in any way is Smash. (I'll paint with a very unfair broad brush here and say that it seems to be the N64-era kids who love Smash most, while the old folks in my cohort - from personal experience - are more likely to shrug at it.)

Although I suppose they already catered to me with the one-two punch of Breath of the Wild followed by Odyssey so... maybe I can sit back this year and let Smash fans have their fun. Their floaty, bloated, overhyped fun ;)

OH-MyCar

Agreed. For a lifelong Nintendo fan who started back at the NES launch, one franchise I still don't care for in any way is Smash. (I'll paint with a very unfair broad brush here and say that it seems to be the N64-era kids who love Smash most, while the old folks in my cohort - from personal experience - are more likely to shrug at it.)

Although I suppose they already catered to me with the one-two punch of Breath of the Wild followed by Odyssey so... maybe I can sit back this year and let Smash fans have their fun. Their floaty, bloated, overhyped fun ;)

I don't think that could've described me better. I bought my NES in '89 and it feels like Smash Bros just happened without me. Maybe I wasn't in the right place at the right time? Maybe I'm too old? I can get excited over other fighters, but I've bought two different Smash titles at launch to get in on the hype and I just lost interest within half an hour. At this point I accept that it's just not going to work out.

I'm happy other people enjoy it, but I hope they throw the rest of us a bone; an Animal Crossing, anything.

I'm expecting Animal Crossing or Luigis Mansion announcement

I also hope they sell a new joycon that has headphone/microphone slot for their online+

Last edited:

iconmaster

Banned
Does the Switch not have microphone OR headphone slot built in? That cant be real?

It works with wireless headsets and there is an audio jack on the console body. The controllers don't have a jack.

(There's also been speculation that the Switch's jack supports mic-in but there's no software to make use of it. I expect some enterprising hacker will demonstrate this one way or the other now that the boot exploit is in the wild.)

Last edited:

You can't put it in your pocket. Lacks the quick pull out and play factor of the 3ds. Without the 3ds they lose a good sized niche to mobile.

Yagami_Sama

I am looking forward to see the new Fire Emblem, and who will be on the new Smash Bros.

A new Luigi's Mansion would be great too, similar to 1 not 2.

Also if they reveal the new Pokemon for Switch would be great.

Jsheldon

I don't think that could've described me better. I bought my NES in '89 and it feels like Smash Bros just happened without me. Maybe I wasn't in the right place at the right time? Maybe I'm too old? I can get excited over other fighters, but I've bought two different Smash titles at launch to get in on the hype and I just lost interest within half an hour. At this point I accept that it's just not going to work out.

I'm happy other people enjoy it, but I hope they throw the rest of us a bone; an Animal Crossing, anything.

I bought the original smash and just can’t get excited about it in any way shape or form :/. Since a brand new Mario or Zelda is unlikely, I’d be happy with another Zelda remaster from the U or the dream would be a switch version of a link between worlds. 3rd part announcement dream would be assasins creed, dragon ball fighterz, and divinity original sin 2..... definitely some potential for E3 to thrill or disappoint depending on your gamer taste.

I'm not actually a big smash fan either.

A Mario and Luigi(original gba style) would rock or a paper Mario game cube style. Or maybe another collab with square enix for a super Mario rpg with Mario kart 8 style graphics. Have the team who makes dragon quest do it

I must be asleep cuz I'm dreaming

All I really want is skies of Arcadia 2 and or a switch e shop of the game cube edition. I wonder where the members of that studio went off to?

If I had that I'd never need another game/console again. I wish I still owned my game cube and wave bird

Last edited:
Does anyone play doom, splatoon2, Mario kart 8, worms wmd online? I need friends my list has 0 and I wanna beat people with my most excellent skills

EDMIX

I know we might see SMTV get released this year but I still some info and gameplay footage on it.

I also know people kind of getting sick of WiiU ports but I don’t care, I want Tokyo Mirage Session on switch I want it now!!!

This and Animal Crossing is all I want to be honest

Ka-Kui

Nintendo's E3 is the only one I'll watch this year. Got my Switch since launch and have been loving it so far. What I really want is to see more JRPGs'.

Orta

Banned
I hope we get a LOT more than just Smash Bros and Splatoon. Neither of them interest me tbh.

The Switch could do with a few megatons now the honeymoon period is over.

Andyliini

I want them to casually talk about Xenoblade Chronicles 2 story content, possibly revolving around KOS-MOS and T-elos, and then reveal Xenosaga Trilogy For Switch. I also wish they would slightly rewrite The games so they could be part of Xenoblade universe.

Hit me with a massive barrage of smaller budget games, details and launch of nintendo online, a handul of showcases on large games, and 1-2 surprise games,

And ill be good - lets do this! switch year 2!

The tournaments do nothing for me. Boring af. waste of marketing time in my eyes.

buizel

Banned
It works with wireless headsets and there is an audio jack on the console body. The controllers don't have a jack.

(There's also been speculation that the Switch's jack supports mic-in but there's no software to make use of it. I expect some enterprising hacker will demonstrate this one way or the other now that the boot exploit is in the wild.)

Oh okay thats good. Most aux-in supports headphones and microphone, usually the one port can do both.

I hope that this time Super Smash has mechanics to beat Melee as the competitive standard.

I don't expect much from Nintendo this year, I think 2020 will be Switch revision and Prime year so that would be great.

Yagami_Sama

Metroid Prime 4 I am not expecting this game to be released this year anymore. But it would be great to have a glimpse of what is the game, who is developing, the story.

Bayonetta 3 I still think that it might be released this year, but it would be also good to se some footage and more details about the game.

Andyliini

Alrighty then, we have some info on tournaments, so it's time to update:

Splatoon 2 World Championships:

Teams:
SetToDestroyX (USA)
BlackSquids (Germany)
GG BoyZ (Japan)
Yeah Nay (Australia)

Team Spotlight:

Super Smash Bros. Invitational 2018

Participants:
Leonardo "MkLeo" Perez
Gonzalo "ZeRo" Barrios
Adam "Armada" Lindgren
Yuta "Abadango" Kawamura
Justin "Plup" McGrath
Ramin "Mr.R" Delshad
Jose "Lucky" Aldama
Joseph "Mango" Marquez

Commentators:
Jordan Kent
Victoria “VikkiKitty” Perez
Vish “Vish” Rajkumar
Terrence “TKbreezy” Kershaw

Introduction video:

Andyliini

It looks like the video presentation is officially called Nintendo Direct: E3 2018. This is the first time since 2013 that Nintendo is using the Direct-label on their E3 presentation. I hope it's something akin to their normal Directs, with rapid-fire small-time annoucements and 2-4 bigger ones for more important games. Just one more week.

Can't wait! my boss is a big gamer too, were setting up to watch on the projector downstairs at the office bar. Should be a pretty decent way to watch the conference.

KevinKeene

Banned
Ok, E3 needs to be now. I seriously dreamt of Starfox Grandprix tonight - didn't even know I'm that hyped about it, thx, subconscious. It was awesome, felt really great, insanely fast, and it had a weird but effective speed-increase system where you had to press the X-button at specific times to properly accelerate - yeah, oddly detailed dream. And I saw Fox and Krystal, both having their Adventures/Assault-design. Looked great.

Halp!

Michele

you.
Everyone, the conferences begins at 12nd of June!

Share with us your opinions and predictions please!

For me, I'd say Nintendo would do very well, and might win the E3 if Fortnite leak is true.

I think Nintendo might reveal a new game of that New Super Mario Bros series, this time for Switch.

Zannegan

Honestly, I'm feeling like this will be a weaker year, counting on Smash to carry the day for the core (and Fire Emblem for the super core), though with some nice little announcements to go with it.

I don't even know if Star Fox will be ready. Rumor is (I think via the last IGN NVC or maybe something from Gamexplain) that they were working on something else that was cancelled, which explains their long silence.

Mr. Grumpy

Grumpy see, Grumpy do.
Added some links and times. If I have missed anything it's best to either let the OP or myself know via message to not clutter the thread. :)

Top Bottom