• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Press Conference Grading Thread

Who had your favorite E3 press conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sony's conference had over a decade and a half of expectation, hopes and dreams behind it.

Whereas Microsoft's and Nintendo's conferences were decent, they were mostly them going through their paces and not really showing anything ground breaking, whereas Sony's conference felt like a revival of golden era for console games, the ones I want to see and play, the ones I once dreamt or believe that could exist but then started to dismiss that they ever could.

I feel like the past decade of E3s made me a cynic and appreciate and suspect publishers much more, to expect the worst from all of them. This year's E3, or in particular Sony's conference single-handedly made me believe that promises can be great and games that were influential and charming to me over a decade ago, are still as engaging and stimulating today, whereas in all of Microsoft's conference with their Ford advertisement, sorry, the new Forza, all of their shooters and games for the "hardcore" market, the best thing in their entire showing was a schmup with an art style inspired by 1930's cartoon's.

Sony has been the most daring company in terms of supporting original ideas and while most of them might not be the most refined or best ones ever created, I feel like they are helping to usher in a great new era for console games. I had that impression when they unveiled the Playstation 4 and this year's E3 all but confirmed it.

Sony's conference made me believe again, and if I have to wait another decade for one like this year's, then I'll be glad to wait.

anothertech

MS played too safe. Held back their big guns like scale bound and Quantum. Halo was great but already knew that. BC was nice but not really 'new game' territory. For that, they gained a C.

Sony delivered a conference that will likely not be matched for another decade or more. Best of show for New content, and megaton after megaton of Holy Grail remakes/wishlist of dreams stuff. A+ Outstanding.

Bethesda gave us what we wanted, and then some. B+

Nintendo and EA both get a 'Troll' for wasting my time.

Striek

Thinking back over the conferences, quite aside from the content shown Sony also had the best format by far.

Game after game with very little filler in-between. Compare and contrast to MS and Nintendo where a lot more time was taken by the talking heads introducing the games/philosophy. Did we really need to spend so long seeing a car on stage MS? Cool background on SMB Nintendo, but not appropriate for a 45 minute direct!

Warchild

Banned
You actually kinda mirror what I think, I'd probably bump Nintendo up to a solid C after seeing some Treehouse footage. But yeah they are transitioning, this year and honestly next year I think will be pretty weak for them. Sony put on a big show to hide that 3rd parties are supporting their holiday for the 3rd year straight, and MS did a lot of really cool stuff, especially with PC, that I feel like they aren't getting credit for.

Hindle??

dyergram

Sony A:
Wild fanboy dreams. I'm so glad that horizon exists just stunning also last guardian lives and is a actual game by the looks. Decent pacing and held my attention.

Bethesda A:
Doom looks cool as hell(get it?) fallout 4 is my near future wife. Wasn't a MASIVE dishonered fan but ill play a sequel. Again decent pacing and held my attention.

Ubisoft B:
Good opening with spit park Ayesha is a good host and I didn't get boored. For Honour has promise I like the look of r6. Not showing watchdogs was a good idea also the division still looks good and ghost recon has loads of promise.

Microsoft C:
I wasn't really into the games microsoft was showing. The last halo did nothing for me. Tomb raider was in my opinion MASIVELY overrated. And I don't play car games I don't like the look of the new gears either but its early I guess. On the plus side rare collection would be a day one for me the pirate thing didn't look like a game yet and hololens gets a idontbeliveyou.gif

Nintendo c:
Nintendo didn't have any bombs to drop but the format of their show was great. Mario maker looks ace and I like the look of mario tennis as well.

Ea D:
Everything that's wrong with press conferences for me. Overlong speeches nothing of note to show and when you do have something to show they have to tease it for a absurdly long time (or Star Wars case for nearly the entire show). Also are we still taking about old Republic in 2015 seriously? Also that dude looked really weird with no belt.

Square enix F
As above really overlong booring speeches and in broken English great! It must of really sucked to be there and have to sit through this presentation. They have games I care about deus ex and just cause but the deus ex trailer was crap and I don't even remember seeing it. Don't care about jrpgs (sorry) also a man has a moon head for some reason.

I liked the way he clapped.

All in all great e3! Thank good for giant bomb don't think I could of solod those conferences.

Sony was an A* effort, never seen a conference like it and was basically the best conference I had watched after just 20 minutes. Dreams, Horizon and UC4 immediately made me remember why I got a PS4, no third party game announced excited me as much as those three titles. But yeah FFVII remake made me lose the plot for a good 5 minutes. :p

Top Bottom