• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 Press Conference Grading Thread

Who had your favorite E3 press conference?

Results are only viewable after voting.

sn00zer

STATE WHY YOU GAVE THE CONFERENCE THE SCORE YOU GAVE IT
Or dont Im not a cop, but its a more interesting thread

Oculus: N/A, didnt see it
Bethesda: B+, amazing Fallout and DOOM showings and that was about it
Microsoft: C, played it way too safe and gave a very standard MS conference, most exciting thing was stuff they did in the past
EA: C+, step up from last year, amazing 15min of conference, sadly it was about an hour and a half long
Ubisoft: A-, really solid press conference. Just very fun to watch and interesting announcements. About as good as an Ubi conference could ever get
Sony: A, probably the best conference ever, woulda been A+ if they cut down on the obvious drags in the conference
Nintendo: A-, Im not personally interested in Nintendo, but it was a very entertaining conference that held my attention the whole way through
Square Enix: B, Really great announcements, way too formal of a presentation that really needed some non quick cut gameplay footage
PC: D, made me not want to get into PC again, seemed like very few games actually took advantage of cards, and everything else was on consoles, and everything after that seemed pretty standard multiplayer fair

The ones I watched, using my own rating system:

Microsoft's conference - as bright as a reasonably luminescent light bulb in a darkening bathroom.

Sony's conference - as bright as three simultaneous supernovas that have lit up the heavens.

Nintendo's conference - as bright as the flashing LED on a faulty smoke alarm, that has just accidentally been triggered because it detected someone's particularly pungent fart. No one knows why it's flashing, all they know is its messed up and the room smells of shit.

Reasons; Microsoft had a few games, solid but not spectacular; Sony had an incredible series of games; Nintendo's presence was worse than nothing, with a terrible selection.

RPGamer92

Banned

Microsoft's conference - as bright as a reasonably luminescent light bulb in a darkening bathroom.

Sony's conference - as bright as three simultaneous supernovas that have lit up the heavens.

Nintendo's conference - as bright as the flashing LED on a faulty smoke alarm, that has just accidentally been triggered because it detected someone's particularly pungent fart. No one knows why it's flashing, all they know is its messed up and the room smells of shit.

And we're done.

rjinaz

Oculus: 5. Wasn't impressed. Xbox One controller really? Host wasn't good.
Bethesda: 9. Lots of Fallout 4 stuff including the release date of this year. Their other stuff looks good too.
Microsoft: 7. Just not much here for me but I can see why others would be satisfied
EA: Didn't watch.
Ubisoft: Didn't watch.
Sony: 10. 3 games people have wanted for a decade or more. Blew me away.
Nintendo: 4. This marked the end of the Wii U. RIP.
Square Enix: 7. They had some RPGs that look great. Minus 1 point for no FF XII HD.

HORRORSHØW

SONY E3 2015

Greatest
Of
ALL
Time

2efefb17061b758f99c024da0e8d59c5.gif

sony birthed 3 gaming miracles like mary in the manger popping out triplets

Skelter

Banned
Will fill in a sec

Really wanted to be the first person to make this thread didn't you?

Microsoft - Very surprised and I liked what I say. 4/5

Sony - They obviously won the show 5/5

Nintendo - Kind of annoyed I watched this but I like some of the games announced 3/5

EA - Eh, only care about Battlefront and not that much. NO Mass Effect gameplay shown. 2/5

Square Enix - Surprisingly went well and lots of surprises even though Sony took all their trailers. Nier 2, brand new RPG studio, Kingdom Hearts III, and Deus Ex shown 5/5

P Conference - the first time such a thing happened and some decent stuff shown not much I care about 3/5

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!
Sony > Bethesda > Microsoft > PC >> EA > Square >>>>> Ubisoft >>>>>>>>>>>> Nintendo

Sony: Dropped all the megatons.
Bethesda: Doom, Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2 were amazing
Microsoft: X360 retrocompatibility, Recore and Gears 4 were good.
PC: Tons of games, good host.
EA: Battlefront and GW2 saved the conference.
Square: Lots of old stuff from the Sony conference but few new things like KH 3 and Deus Ex.
Ubisoft: Other than Ghost Recon, nothing really interesting.
NIntendo: Complete shit.

Quirah

I just wanna comment about PC Gaming Show. I think more company needs to do that 'show' thing instead of standart conferences. It was funny and entertaining. I didn't get bored at all. Imagined some of these indie games being shown as standart 'conference' format and I think I would get bored with that format. But they did a good job with hiring Day9 and making that talk show-kinda thing.

Afrodium

Banned
Sony's was the only one I got to watch live this year but it was the best E3 conference I've ever seen and proved the existence of a compassionate God.

wamberz1

Sony>PC>Bethesda>Microsoft>Ubisoft>Nintendo>EA

Didn't care about a single thing at EA
Pretty much the same for nintendo
Ubi had some cool stuff but not much
Microsoft started strong with BC and recore but ended flatly
Bethesda Had fallout and dishonored, two games I adore
Pc had an AMAZING host, Killer instinct confirmation, and tons of other goodies
Sony... Well, explains itself

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Bethesda- A
Fallout 4 and lots of gameplay from doom.

Sony - B
Horizon and UC4

Microsoft - C
Good conference but didn't have anything that will get me to buy an xbone

PC - C
Best host, a few good games but too much filler.

Ubisoft - C
Ghost recon looked cool the test was pretty meh.

Square - D
Too many jrpgs and not enough western titles from eidos.

EA - D
Battlefront was the only thing that interests me.

Nintendo - F
Fuck that video...

Persona7

Banned
Sony A - So many great announcements. Horizon is my most anticipated game. Even if pretty much everything is a 2016+ games they definitely had the best conference.

Microsoft B - backward compatbility and some great announcements

Nintendo D - completely underwhelming, next year will probably be good

Alternatively, using the GIF conference rating system:

Sony and Microsoft:

Y0jKEsA.gif

Sony scores the following rating: They are an invincible undead army with the power to raise the long dead, staring down at everything.
Microsoft scores the following rating: a few brave guys in a boat who just about escaped Sony's onslaught.

Microsoft were outnumbered by the sheer volume - and significance- of games that Sony had on display

Nintendo:

VO2gCCc.gif

Nintendo scores the following rating: As the destroyer of wishes.

Nintendo's offering was so awful, their games so insignificant, that they literally annoyed their own fanbase by turning up.

Riposte

I think people forget how bad the EA conference was and only remember the Battlefront stuff at the very, very end. I was going to go back quote all my explanations, but who really cares? Here's the grades regenerated in my head.

Bethesda: B+
Microsoft: B
EA: D
Ubisoft: B+
Sony: A
Nintendo: C
PC: B

The last two weren't real conferences, especially Nintendo. This isn't really their final grades of the week, considering E3 is also about the show floor and streams like Treehouse.

EDIT: I only skimmed the Square Enix one since I was tight on time. Not really fair to rate it, but I would probably put it around a B- (stilted presentation, but good content).

EDIT: Didn't watch Oculus and it seems like I didn't need to. Don't even know if it counts anyway.

EDIT: Overall, good year. E3 hate is usually exaggerated anyway though.

EDIT: Final edit, I swear. I think Sony is more A than A+ if merely because the three big megatons are slightly disappointing in some way: TLG looks aged and had a boring demo, FF7R won't come out for a long time (plus, Final Fantasy 7 is just an alright JRPG), and Shenmue 3 is actually a kickstarter to make Shenmue 3 which doesn't even exist in a pre-alpha form. It was a good conference otherwise, of course. Huge improvement from last year.

DOWN

Banned
In order

Sony - A - Three mythological game announcements in one show.
EA - B+ - Mass Effect, Mirror's Edge, Star Wars Battlefront, Need for Speed
Square - B- - Deus Ex, HITMAN, Kingdom Hearts III
Microsoft - B- - Some exclusives this year, Halo 5
Ubisoft - C- - Sad continuation of their open world formula games, lackluster Rainbow Six showing, new games were in slow forced showings

Wingus

Sony - A - Triple whammy of TLG, FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 makes it hard to top. Uncharted 4 looked awesome too.

Microsoft - C - Standard fare. Highlight for me was the incredible value of the Rare Replay collection.

Nintendo - D - Poor reveals and messaging (why was Platinum not emphasised when Starfox was shown?). 3DS offerings were solid.

Square - B - Nier sequel reveal + Platinum was a genuine surprise and a solid showing for everything else.

Bethesda - B - Snappy conference with cool surprises such as Fallout Shelter. Features that interest me include the base building stuff and customisation.

Sony - A (lots of bombs dropped)
MS - C (the usual halo forza gears)
Nintendo - F (next platform is clearly where all the stuff is going)

Microsoft: 8.5, Actual games with release date, exclusives and support for the console

Sony: 7.0, Just gave what everybody wanted and nothing to their console.

Nintendo: 6.0

PC Gamer: 8.0 Solid conference with some surprises

Ubisoft: 7.5 Just solid but too much Tom clancy

EA: 4.5 Its E3 for gods sake, the gaming press doesnt want sports

Bethesda: 8.5, Great first time

Square-Enix: 6.5, nothing new

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Sony --> A++, so many stuff I am interested in, great showing of great looking games.
Microsoft --> don't know, don't particularly care about Xbox. Well, at least FFVII remake is as I understood first shown in their conference? But since it's out on PS4 too it doesn't really matter,
Nintendo --> C. Meh, entertaining stuff with the NWC but what matters most is the games and the only one that I am actually interested in is Fire Emblem Fates, and that's not because of the E3. The rest of the games shown are totally meh for me, though Mario Maker looks fun.

Linkhero1

Bethesda - A
What can I say? I've been becoming more and more of a fan of theirs. Dishonored and Fallout our are great IPs and I'm loving that they're delivering new games in the series. They kept their conference on point and didn't waste time with jokes or fluff. I cannot wait for more from them and I hope they continue with their conferences in the future.

MS - B
Great showing by MS and was surprised by the backwards compatibility. Aside from the Minecraft stuff, everything looked solid. I was a bit disappointed by Rare's game and I'm still unsure about how I feel. I was kind of hoping Crackdown 3 and Quantum Break would make an appearance since they were what I was looking forward to the most. Gears 4 is cool but the presentation was pretty shitty, so yeah.

Sony - B+
Pacing was fantastic and they delivered what the fans wanted. I'm not a huge fan of most of the content shown by them so it didn't really do much for me. Uncharted 4 looks great so I look forward to that.

Nintendo - C
It was pretty bad, but I don't think it was horrible as I first thought after taking a step back and looking at their conference objectively. It's clear to me that they've moved onto the NX. Star Fox looks a bit rough but I have faith in Platinum to deliver. Fire Emblem Fates will be great so that's another title I'm looking forward to. I just wish they cut out the fluff such as the developer stories and that charity thing at the end. That didn't have to be in the Direct. Those could have been presented outside the Direct. Lack of Fatal Frame in the Direct also hurt them from my perspective. Zelda and Metroid look ugly as well so there's not much on 3DS I'm looking forward to.

I didn't watch the other conferences.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Bethesda - B. Mostly for wonderful Fallout presentation, rest was C grade
Ubisoft - B. More consistently good than Bethesda with only a few hiccups like the Just Dance performance and the ricketts bit.
Sony - B+. BIG announcements. would've been A without TV shit and like 10 minutes of Disney
Nintendo - D. D for disappointment.

Didn't watch MS, heard it wasn't bad.

Sony: A+

Best E3 conf I've ever seen in my life. TLG + FF7R + Shenmue 3 in one goddamn conference. Horizon looks phenomenal. UC4 was mind-blowing. No dumb Powers crap like last year. Morpheus did not take up a lot. Incredible.

Square Enix: B+

For their first conference for I think like 5 years they did great. A lot of stuff I liked. Nier 2 by Platinum for PS4. KH3 gameplay etc.

MS: B

Relatively good show but nothing that really stood out except for backwards compatibility which has never been a big deal to me. ReCore I know nothing about because uninformative CGI trailer therefore I am not hyped. Rare new IP looks cool but would have preferred Banjo or Conker and not a fan of "MMO-like". Gears was very underwhelming and I couldn't see shit.

Bethesda: B

Doom was underwhelming. Dishonored 2 is nice. Fallout 4 looks great and 30+ minutes on it is great

Ubi: C-

Not very entertaining. Only thing that was exciting was ghost recon. Usher watshisname was laughable. Aisha Tyler is unbearably unfunny and cringe. Fractured Butthole is great.

Nintendo: C-

Barely anything new announced. What was was laughable. Metroid am cry.

PC Gamer: C-

Stopped watching half way through, got bored.

EA: F

Fuck Pele

Sony - A
Microsoft - A
Ubisoft - B-
SE - B+
PC - C+ (was interesting, just the length didn't warrant the content imo)
Nintendo - D
Bethesda - B
EA - C-

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Only watched Microsoft's, EA's, Ubi's and Sony's.

These ratings are based on my interests and needs only.

MS: A
EA: C- (would have been a D if not for Mirror's Edge)
Ubi: B-
Sony: B+ (zero interest in FF, TLG and Shenmue and there was no fucking God of War, but Horizon looked sick)

These ratings are based on my best attempt to be objective about how each conference would have looked to the "hardcore gamer"

MS: A
EA: D
Ubi: B
Sony: A+

Servbot24

Banned
Bethesda - 7. This honestly meant nothing to me, but I thought it was well presented and it seemed like fans were happy.
Microsoft - 6.5. The biggest moments didn't have to do with games. The 3 biggest game announcements were fine, but didn't really measure up to the E3 stage.
EA - 4.5. Unravel and Battlefront both looked excellent. Mirror's Edge will probably be good. Other than those, so much padding.
Ubisoft - 5.5. Ubisoft games are just not interesting at all. For Honor was a neat reveal, but tbh I've already had my fill of it after watching a gameplay demo.
Sony - 9.5. The stuff of legend. The only issue is that some of the announcements were a bit vague; who knows when Shenmue and FFVII will actually release. But Horizon, TLG and Uncharted are all slated for 2016, which is remarkable.
Nintendo - 2. I honestly felt insulted. This conference made me want to sell my 3DS and Wii U. They might have been better off not even showing up.
Square Enix - 5. Nier 2 and KH3 really saved this. Deus Ex looks pretty good too.

USC-fan

Banned
1. Sony is really the only one that stood out and will be remember forever. Even if you have no interest in these games you have to give respect to the massive announcements.

Perfect first post.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Bethesda: Solid 7. I'm not into their games, and DOOM dragged way too long - But fallout was fantastic.
Microsoft: 5. I don't even remember what the hell they announced, except there were shooters and one Rare game, and that desert-game which looked good, but had no details about gameplay.
Ubisoft: 8. I expected this to be a borefest, but then, it wasn't. For Honor presentation with that guy that was basically a one-legged Viking shit-talking all the way through was FANTASTIC, and the game looks very good. I'm somewhat disappointed by later news that confirm it as a MP-only, but still. Division looked like shit, but Siege and Anno 2205 kept it up.
EA: 3. The only thing i was interested into was Unravel. The rest.. sports sports, what the hell was Pelè doing there anyway?
Nintendo: 2/10. They're quirky, they're Nintendo.. and i generally like their stuff, but there was way too much emphasis on Mario Maker, Star Fox was nice but really, really looked like a remaster of some three-generations old game, Metroid was a troll, Zelda U was a no-show, and the main reason i own Nintendo stuff, Monster Hunter, wasn't in at all - not that i expected it. SMTxFE was hype killed, XBX still looks good, but i'm not buying into the hype again until i get Western reviews to say that Japan reviews weren't right, and that's it.

Sony: 11/10. This goddamn broke the scale. Triple megaton where just one would've broke the internet. May have topped their 2013 conference with FFXV+KH3, which was HOLY SHIT.

Square: 9.9/10. Seriously. Presentation wasn't that great, except Hashimoto who evidently knows he's trolling at this point - and he's damn good at it. But the games were FANTASTIC. I wasn't expecting KH3 gameplay at all, i thought it was slated for TGS. Nier 2 with P*, SO5, KH3!Gameplay, FF7RE, A NEW STUDIO DOING JRPGs, and even the Western stuff - I've never played a Just Cause or a Hitman, but they may have sold me on it. Deus ex didn't look that hot, though. Too much dumb shooting for a stealth game.

Cidd

Sony's was the only one I got to watch live this year but it was the best E3 conference I've ever seen and proved the existence of a compassionate God.

the almighty dog pope has spoken.

Sony : 9.5/10
Microsoft : 7.5/10
Bethesda : 8/10
Squarenix : 8/10
Nintendo: 5/10
EA : 4/10
Ubisoft : 6/10
Oculus : 2/10

Microsoft: 4/5
- Amazing hardware-related announcements, nothing too special when it came down to actual games. It really loses a full point because of that atrocious Gears 4 demo.

EA: 2/5
- That sports talk should have its own dedicated event. Takes up way too much time. Mass Effect, Unravel, Mirror's Edge, and Star Wars saved it from being an utter disaster.

Ubisoft: 4/5
- South Park returning was a GREAT way to start. The showing was all-around above average. Ghost Recon was unexpected and a great way to end, the game looked phenomenal. But dat Division downgrade...

Sony: 5/5
- The megatons dropped suppress any nitpicks I can think of. This was one to remember. Goddamn.

For me it was.....

1. Sony.....Because Megaton after Megaton!
2. MS..... Halo, BC, Hololens, etc
3. Bethesda. Fallout 4, Doom...etc
4. UBI......Only because of Ghost Recon
5. Nintendo......Only because of Super Mario Maker
100. EA.

BahamutPT

Sony - A
Bethesda - B+
Square Enix - B
Microsoft - B-
Ubisoft - C
Nintendo - D+
EA - D
PC Gaming Show - D-

Oculus - Didn't watch it

Nintendo World Championships - Watched half, would give it a B

213372bu

Banned
Sony :A+ (One of the best non-console announcement E3s of all time. Game after game after game with absolutely nothing hampering down the conference. A key highlight of this conference was showing multiplat games that gamers are going to enjoy. The (limited/perma) console exclusivity like SF,Shenmue,FF7:R, were great.)

Microsoft:B- (Pretty good conference. Despite Halo's direction under 343 being absolutely abysmal, there was a good conference to be had. Windows 10 support was noice. Hololens was obv. staged and if I feel like I should deduct from my score because of that. Oh well.)

Ubisoft:B- (Great showing from Ubisoft. Solid games, Assasins Creed, Tom Clancy games, and the arcade racer were looking way great.)

EA:C- ( A shitty performance that covered lots of good games. Mirror's edge, Battlefront, Fifa, and GW2 are all must-plays for me.)

Bethesda:A- (Fallout 4, the infamous Doom trailer, and Dishonored 2 kicked it out of the ballpark. Excellent, excellent presentation. Only thing being that the dialogue system and crafting system have me worried that its focus is too wide and will take away from some of the focus of what made Fallout NV, and 3 for that matter, stand out.)

Square Enix: B+ (They did it! Square did it! A variety of Western and JRPGs and the announcement of a new dedicated JRPG team. Everything, but some janky SO scenes, looked great! Only reason they are getting a B+ and not an A is due to the absolutely horrible presentation.)

Nintendo:F+ ( Nintendo, much like EA, had a shitty presentation, but had shitty games to present. I could go on a rant with this but I'll keep it brief. Nintendo has made it clear they have no interest for their core audience, and are now focused on Amiibo, QoL(Which Miyamoto is in fact working on), and NX to care about the gamers once more. Their press conference had no rhythm at ALL. 50%+ of the conference consisted of the most basic filler talk I've ever seen a dev say.Just an entire mess. The premise of Star Fox, Fire Emblem, and Paper Mario has me sold.... and that's it. Throw in that over 1/3 of the conference consisted of games thoroughly talked about last year and you got yourselves a stinker. Look no further than the ever generous Nintendo YT rating system on their videos to see how their fans react.)

PC: C+ Interesting format! It was really chill, and actually had some content in it. Pace it up more, allow for the vibe to dominate the show a bit more and you got yourselves an interesting format that will be fit for years to come. Honestly, though it was boring at times, it felt way more refreshing, developers ACTUALLY being asked REAL QUESTIONS was so great to hear. Besides the intro, its humor wasn't just some referential meme humor.)

Edit: Posting in-depth now.

Grading scale disclaimer : A+ - F- is based on "C" being the average par-for-the-course conference.

Overall, These E3 press conferences had some of the best games to offer, with third-parties absolutely killing the first-party offerings.

jph139

In this order:

SUPERB (A)
Sony

GOOD (B)
Bethesda
Square-Enix
PC Gamer

AVERAGE (C)
Microsoft
Ubisoft

BAD (D)
Nintendo
EA

I think EA is still hands down the worst, but I knew when Shenmue hit that Sony was top dog and they deserve all of the praise they're getting.

I'd rather list my most to least favourites from top to bottom if that's acceptable.

Microsoft
EA
Bethesda
Sony
PC Gaming
Ubisoft
Square Enix
Nintendo

Microsoft-B+. BC since my 360 died, rare replay and gears of war 1 multiplayer for the summer
sony- B FF7 and shenmue
SE- C+ boring until kh3
Nintendo- F. still no console paper mario and weak ass line up

mp1990

Banned
Microsoft- 7/10: The 2015 lineup don't interest me a bit, all the games looks as generic as you get, but loved the backwards compatibility, and 2016 looks like the best year to buy an XONE, some really great games coming for it.
Sony- 10/10: Don't need the explain it, it was like a dream coming true.
Ubisoft- 5/10: Meh, maybe Ghost Recon, but Ubisoft don't impress me anymore.
EA- 6/10: It was ok, some cool announcements, Unravel was ace, but some terrible mistakes, like, why the fuck did they brought Pelé ? No, just stop.
Nintendo- 6/10: I didn't thought it was going to be as good as the 2014 one, but damn, the conference didn't had rythim at all, like, too many time wasted on things that didn't fit a Direct, and that Metroid thing... How fid they fucked up so hard ? Still, some cool announcements, 2015 and 2016 looking good for Nintendo.
Square Enix- 7/10: Bizarre, with almost no rythim at all, too many talk, but what a great surprise. Loved the Nier announcement, the RPG Factory artworks, and damn, that KH3 gameplay made me get interested in the series for the first time ever. If they fix the rythim problems, could be ace.
Bethesda- 8/10: It was really cool, even if I'm a bit worried about Doom. They got me impressed with Fallout 4 for the first time, didn't thought this was going to happen, and I'm excited to play Dishonored 2, looks better than the first one.

RPGCrazied

Don't want to rate them all:

SE/Sony gets a A+++ from me. Everything I want and then some. Big highlight was definitely FF7R. Star Ocean 5, Kingdom Hearts 3, Nier 2, Last Guardian and Shenmue III. My god.

Nintendo gets a D- and thats only because of Xenoblade, Fire Emblem x and Star Fox. The rest was awful. The way they presented that metroid game just made me steam.

Probably edit my post later and add more, these 2 I just had to do now.

Top Bottom