• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Ready for some Dragon Age 3 footage? [Yep, it's coming at E3]

Durante

I'm looking forward to being able to judge this game freely, without having the nagging feeling that I'm going to buy it anyway since the pickings are so slim for party-based WRPGs.

I loved the snappy combat and the politically-charged narrative. BioWare's writers are at their best when doing character writing, not overarching story or plot writing, and Dragon Age 2 exemplified that, in my opinion. That's not to say that the game didn't have its negatives, but overall Dragon Age 2 felt like a more cohesive and consumable product to me. Seeing a self-contained story about a city play out over a few acts was instantly more interesting to me than some grand, fantasy plot about the Darkspawn
The bolded probably describes really well what Bioware is trying to build.

Trigger

More Merrill please

iGr5cXx3uU2q1.gif

Mikey Jr.

Dragon Age 2 was a travesty in every single fucking category. Not 1 thing was redeemable. It really is a truly terrible fucking game and one of the worst "sequels" I have ever played. I don't want to even call it a sequel because DA1, the masterpiece, would be shamed by even being associated with it.

Bioware should call the next game Dragon Age 2, then when people ask "What about the original Dragon Age 2?", Bioware would look all confused and not understand the question. That way DA2 can be wiped from this Earth.

The person who came up with Dragon Age 2 should be embarrassed and ashamed. Ashamed that that person made people work on garbage.

Sorry for the rant. DA1 was just so perfect in every singe way. DA2 just crushed everything. The thing is that Bioware CAN do good sequels. That is the sad part about all of this. They have that capability. I just don't know where it all went wrong.

Pooya

I couldn't finish DA2, still sometimes want to go back to see what was it like really, story and everything. Combat was bad I just lost interest after 5-6 hours, everything was pretty repetitive. I can't really sit behind the desk and play long ass RPGs with k/m anymore, too old for that, no controller support also further killed my interest, key mapping apps never really work like native support, I'm not sure why Bioware shows so much resistance in adding pad support to their games when everything has them now and it's been like that for years. Console version looked so ugly, never even considered getting that instead, not saying PC ver. was a beauty... with hires texture pack it looked alright somewhat.

I'm still interested in this very much, specially want to see how a frostbite game that's not a modern military thing looks like, just hoping the story has nothing to do with 2 at all, would be for the best.

JoeBoy101

The real answer is if you can nab it for 4 dolla or less its a quality purchase. Its not really a bad game but its a pretty large downgrade from the first one.

This is pretty accurate.

DA 2 has some redeemable features and some downright refreshing aspects to it at times, but you have to trudge through horrible and half-baked features to get there. Its a volatile mix. I've played worse RPGs for sure, but one that stands out as leaps and bounds better was DA:O.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Is he a BioWare employee or a contractor? Because if it's the former, then BioWare has four projects in the works:

+ Dragon Age III (BioWare Edmondton)
+ Command & Conquer (BioWare Victory)
+ Mass Effect Next (BioWare Montreal)
+ Casey Hudson & Mac Walters' new universe (BioWare Edmondton)

And while DA3 and C&C look seemingly ready for a reveal, I get the feeling the latter two aren't (or if one of them is, then it has to be ME Next).
Well, he's doing trailers for both the BioWare and EA Games labels:

"Editor, Cinematographer, and Motion Graphic Artist. Working on BioWare and Games Label, divs. of EA. This account is personal and does not reflect EA."

Victory is separate from BioWare these days, so I suspect EA is just contracting him to work on trailers for four of their core games (which is what those two labels basically represent).

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I preferred the politically-charged story in Dragon Age 2™ to...

bwhahahaha

Sorry. Couldn't keep a straight face.

Ceebs

Sorry for the rant. DA1 was just so perfect in every singe way
Not a chance.

First of all, the combat, classes, and skills were beyond broken. Even if you were not trying to abuse the easily abused systems, the combat became largely a checklist of do A,B,C,D and repeat. For a tactical RPG that is a bad thing.

Do not even get me started on the enemy variety though. Who in their right mind though that a game lasting longer than 5 hours could get by on such piss poor variety. Every fight was either the Darkspawn things or some random wildlife. As if the combat being boring was not bad enough, you had to fight the same 10 things for however long you managed to put up with the game.

To me the game was nothing but some nice wrapping paper covering an empty box.

Daingurse

Dragon Age 1 with frostbite 3 is all I need. Shit I could tolerate DA2 to an extent, but the recycling of environments was fucking obscene. I have no desire to play it again, and I lost my fucking save data. . .

Sentenza

Do not even get me started on the enemy variety though. Who in their right mind though that a game lasting longer than 5 hours could get by on such piss poor variety. Every fight was either the Darkspawn things or some random wildlife. As if the combat being boring was not bad enough, you had to fight the same 10 things for however long you managed to put up with the game.
What's worse is that enemy variety was even poorer than appearances suggested.
You had... What? A dozen of different enemies? And yet you could fight all of them using the same tactics.

Enemies were different just in terms of 3D models and basic stats.
Special resistances and vulnerabilities? Unique powers? Immunity? Nope.
I mean, it was a fantasy game where you could fight undead skeletons with arrows and "fear" spells.

Mikey Jr.

I have a hard time believing that people actually believe this.

DA1 was a very flawed game. So was DA2, but I just feel that people viewed DA1 so highly because BioWare made Baldur's Gate 2 and because EA.

I have never played Baulders Gate. I barely even know what that is.

Anyways, believe it. That game was extremely addicting, I loved everything about that game, and I played it on the Xbox, apparently the superior version is on the PC which I plan on replaying for the third time.

Yeah, there are some flaws. But for me they are so minor that they dont detract from the game at all.

Chinner

Banned
nah, I mean, I'll give them a chance but it's EA and Bioware so the quality of this probably going to range from average to good at best. once it's released there will no doubt be a game of better quality to buy and frankly I don't but EA games out of principle so hey.

Almighty

Yeah this will be another rent/borrow game for me. I have no real expectations that this will be anything more then average at best after DA2/ME3. Makes it even worse for Bioware is this will have some competition from the recent wave of kickstater RPGs.

I loved the snappy combat and the politically-charged narrative. BioWare's writers are at their best when doing character writing, not overarching story or plot writing, and Dragon Age 2 exemplified that, in my opinion. That's not to say that the game didn't have its negatives, but overall Dragon Age 2 felt like a more cohesive and consumable product to me. Seeing a self-contained story about a city play out over a few acts was instantly more interesting to me than some grand, fantasy plot about the Darkspawn.

I understand no part of this. I think DA2 amounted to little more than a side plot and the character dialogue was awful. One of the characters literally says, "I like big boats, no I cannot lie," and then attempts to murder you. Yes, that is a Sir Mix-a-lot reference thrown into your serious moment of betrayal. That, and the combat was dumbed down to the point of being nearly an MMO.

However, I respect your right to see things differently. I just hope no one was listening to you.

In my dream, this is a game about my character from DA1 on a quest to find Morrigan.

Also, DA2 never happened.

It's a good dream.

Ceebs

What's worse is that enemy variety was even poorer than appearances suggested.
You had... What? A dozen of different enemies? And yet you could fight all of them using the same tactics.

Enemies were different just in terms of 3D models and basic stats.
Special resistances and vulnerabilities? Unique powers? Immunity? Nope.
I mean, it was a fantasy game where you could fight undead skeletons with arrows and "fear" spells.

This too. Even the boss encounters played out the same way as a normal fight, you just had less enemies to worry about and maybe had to micromanage your heals a bit more.

Thinking about the game just reminds me of even more things I disliked about it.

Anything remotely interesting about the world was all bits of dialog about OTHER places in the world you never see. If you have ever read a fantasy novel or two everything in the game feels like a stale retread that was executed somewhere else with better results.

RPGCrazied

If its more like Origins, I'm on board, if it is like II, I'm going to steer clear. I'd like to hope bioware listened to all the feedback.

Naito

It's gonna be Dragon Age 3 vs Witcher 3 vs Fallout 4.

Oh my.

The Witcher 3 vs Fallout 4, if anything. Bioware still has to catch up.
With that said, I'll cautiously look forward to the changes implemented in Dragon Age 3.

Top Bottom