• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3: Reggie on Wii U beating Xbox and PlayStation

strata8

I don't think it's true.

The Operating Income of Sony's game division remained positive all throughout the PS2's prime:

kYbJp.png

Holy shit! PS2 profits were just WIPED OUT entirely by the PS3.

No wonder Sony and MS were so conservative this gen.

Dire

Nintendo will pull the plug on Wii U by 2016.

I actually said the exact same thing to my wife.

Then I watched Nintendo's E3 presentations.

It's unbelievable how great the WiiU's future looks compared to the PS4/XBone. As somebody who was largely planning on skipping this gen I'll be picking up a Wii U the next time I'm at the mall. The future of the WiiU looks nuts and there's a handful of Wii games I was interested in and it's backwards compatible.

Holy shit! PS2 profits were just WIPED OUT entirely by the PS3.

No wonder Sony and MS were so conservative this gen.

Yeah. This is the graph you want to show to people that say that this gen consoles are not powerfull enough. There is a reason for it...

It's unbelievable how great the WiiU's future looks compared to the PS4/XBone. As somebody who was largely planning on skipping this gen I'll be picking up a Wii U the next time I'm at the mall. The future of the WiiU looks nuts and there's a handful of Wii games I was interested in and it's backwards compatible.

The Nintendo conference did nothing for me, but then I don't think i am the market they are targeting. My first nintendo console was the wii and it was very disappointing. I just don't think the games they make are my types of games, so I watched the conference and just thought... nah still nothing.

I think this year it's going to be PS4 way out in front and Wii-u and XBO fighting for second, of course Nintendo did have 1 year headstart, which they didn't take advantage of the other two consoles not being available. I still expect the XBO to overtake the wii-u in 2015, just for the fact that the wii-u has such poor 3rd party support and that is the backbone of any console success.

The Nintendo conference did nothing for me, but then I don't think i am the market they are targeting. My first nintendo console was the wii and it was very disappointing. I just don't think the games they make are my types of games, so I watched the conference and just thought... nah still nothing.

I think this year it's going to be PS4 way out in front and Wii-u and XBO fighting for second, of course Nintendo did have 1 year headstart, which they didn't take advantage of the other two consoles not being available. I still expect the XBO to overtake the wii-u in 2015, just for the fact that the wii-u has such poor 3rd party support and that is the backbone of any console success.

many of the 3rd party blockbusters are 2015 now though (batman, witcher 3 etc.)

The PS4 and XBone sales are falling off a cliff at the moment.

Kind of reminiscent of the fable of the turtle and hare, even if in this case the turtle started the race a bit early!

1) No they are not lol. Data shows sales usually decline at this time of year before exploding in the fall.

2) If you think Ps4 sales have fell of a cliff, WiiU sales are buried beneath the sea bed and have been there for a long time.

3) You think the WiiU is the turtle........are you serious? Like are you living in some fantasy world right now?

jts

...hate me...
Not going to happen. They are talking about 2 additional Metroid titles coming too, and SMT x FE, and probably another Mario on the way. It's going to be here a little while longer.

It takes a while to get a new console ready, and to then get actual software ready for it. Wii U isn't going anywhere yet. You'll see a 3DS successor first.
Good. In any case it will have outlived the expectations of many, and Nintendo will keep on trucking.

Had no idea a Zelda game was coming huh? Yeah I was pretty shocked

many of the 3rd party blockbusters are 2015 now though (batman, witcher 3 etc.)

Not surprised considering the amount of big games coming out in Sept-Nov:

Disney Infinity 2.0
Destiny
NHL 15
FIFA 15
Skylanders
Alien Isolation
Dragon Age Inquisition
Middle Earth
NBA 2k15
Battlefield Hardline
Evolve
The Evil Within
Assassins creed Unity
WWE 2k15
Just Dance 15
COD AW
Crew
Far Cry 4

Just multiplats.

the only delayed game that would have made top 5 sellers of 2014 is Halo 5. CoD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed and Destiny are still coming.
Was Halo 5 actually a delay? They announced that there would be Halo on the system this year, but didn't actually specify 5. It seems to me it was planned out this way; although I suppose Bonnie Ross may just have been spinning when she tried to explain it pre-E3 without revealing the Collection.

the only delayed game that would have made top 5 sellers of 2014 is Halo 5. CoD, Battlefield, Assassins Creed and Destiny are still coming.

Not surprised considering the amount of big games coming out in Sept-Nov:

Disney Infinity 2.0
Destiny
NHL 15
FIFA 15
Skylanders
Alien Isolation
Dragon Age Inquisition
Middle Earth
NBA 2k15
Battlefield Hardline
Evolve
The Evil Within
Assassins creed Unity
WWE 2k15
Just Dance 15
COD AW
Crew
Far Cry 4

Just multiplats.
well maybe its an issue of perception but most of the games im not really interested in (with the exception of assassins creed unity, farcry 4 and maybe evil within) and some are also on wiiu (Disney Infinity 2.0, Skylanders, Just Dance most probably Call of Duty and Assassins Creed Comet, if thats a thing).

Nintendo also has some good exclusives in 2014 like Smash, Hyrule Warriors, Toad Treasure Trackers, Bayonetta 2 (and 1 as a pack in)

A a new PS4 owner that bought the machine thinking the first christmas after launch would be exceptionally good I am severely dissapointed. 2015 looks good though.
Was Halo 5 actually a delay? They announced that there would be Halo on the system this year, but didn't actually specify 5. It seems to me it was planned out this way; although I suppose Bonnie Ross may just have been spinning when she tried to explain it pre-E3 without revealing the Collection.

Halo 5 isnt a delay. they said 2015 pretty early on.

oh cmon. after this E3 anyone with a right mind wouldnt say this. a lot of the titles that were announced as 2015 will probably be shifted to 2016 (starfox, zelda etc.)

How are they supposed to sustain this console if they can't even get out all their titles on time? It's not like they have third parties to fall back on. If games get pushed back to 2016 it will be catastrophic. No. Even if they don't pull the plug, retailers will be putting this console in the clearance bin.

oh cmon. after this E3 anyone with a right mind wouldnt say this. a lot of the titles that were announced as 2015 will probably be shifted to 2016 (starfox, zelda etc.)

But even if those games do slip into 2016, how many non-Nintendo-faithful do you think will be convinced by those titles to pick up a WiiU at that time?

The console basically appeals to the diehards and that's about it. If you weren't planning to pick one up already because you love Zelda and Mario and Smash Bros, E3 probably didn't do much to change your mind.

But even if those games do slip into 2016, how many non-Nintendo-faithful do you think will be convinced by those titles to pick up a WiiU at that time?

The console basically appeals to the diehards and that's about it. If you weren't planning to pick one up already because you love Zelda and Mario and Smash Bros, E3 probably didn't do much to change your mind.

If you were wowed by the Treehouse demo of X, Splatoon, Devil's Third, Yoshi's Wooly World and the inclusion of Bayo 1 with Bayonetta 2 then it might well have done.

If you were wowed by the Treehouse demo of X, Splatoon, Devil's Third, Yoshi's Wooly World and the inclusion of Bayo 1 with Bayonetta 2 then it might well have done.

But honestly, how many of those would you consider to be system sellers to anyone who had no interest in the WiiU previously?

For instance, I had no interest in the console before E3, and after checking out videos of all the games you listed, as well as several others, my interest level has not risen in the slightest.

And this is coming from someone who was a diehard Nintendo fan until about midway through the Wii's lifecycle…

Edit: Obviously it depends on the person, and I'm not saying there is no way anybody was swayed. I'm just not convinced that E3 did enough to change Nintendo's fortunes.

And for Reggie to say what he said doesn't do anything to help their image either.

But honestly, how many of those would you consider to be system sellers to anyone who had no interest in the WiiU previously?

For instance, I had no interest in the console before E3, and after checking out videos of all the games you listed, as well as several others, my interest level has not risen in the slightest.

And this is coming from someone who was a diehard Nintendo fan until about midway through the Wii's lifecycle…

I think that games like those aren't going to be system sellers individually but rather additions to a growing list of reasons to buy a Wii U that someone might have.

Everyone freaking about the Nintendo stuff is quite amusing to me because there was only one wow game- Zelda which we knew was coming.

Everything else that looks awesome - Bayo 2 and X again we know everything about.

The rest range from interesting to pretty cool depending on your preference but by no means at least IMO "Zomg! This is amazing"

I think the reactions are just because it's been a solid year of only disappointing Directs and bad news that anything good stands in such a stark contrast.

Daschysta

Well if you don't like fighters, platformers, massive EPIC JRPGS, god tier character action games, Pseudo real time strategy rpgs, adventure games, Innovative 3Ps's, or rail shooter games there was nothing...

Kidding, you have every right not to like the lineup, It was really diverse though. I doubt xbo catches wii u before 2016 if it eventually does, Ninty gets the biggest holiday bump of all and sells in kore regions and is a million ahead. 3rd parties CAN be the backbone of a system, but Ninty was always the main attraction, even when they had 3rd parties, they can come closest of anyone to carrying a system on their own, especially if you own both their home and portable devices at the same time they usually have something goid to play at any time.

How are they supposed to sustain this console if they can't even get out all their titles on time? It's not like they have third parties to fall back on. If games get pushed back to 2016 it will be catastrophic. No. Even if they don't pull the plug, retailers will be putting this console in the clearance bin.

how is sony sustaining their console when Last Guardian has been MIA for years now.

Well thats exactly what they need to do right. get the nintendo fans on the system. If they can get to 3DS numbers, which is a system that has very little third party support as well, they would be in a much more comfortable position.
Everyone freaking about the Nintendo stuff is quite amusing to me because there was only one wow game- Zelda which we knew was coming.

Everything else that looks awesome - Bayo 2 and X again we know everything about.

The rest range from interesting to pretty cool depending on your preference but by no means at least IMO "Zomg! This is amazing"

I think the reactions are just because it's been a solid year of only disappointing Directs and bad news that anything good stands in such a stark contrast.

We had no gameplay demonstration on X so far. all we had were some trailers and a short "demonstration" on a direct. now we got to see like the first hour of the game.

Regarding Bayonetta 2 we had no idea so far that Bayonetta 1 will be a pack in (which makes the deal so much sweeter).

The huge difference is that sony has 3rd parties to fill in any gaps caused by delays.
Nintendo doesnt have this luxury.

I was saying that delays are not something that is catastrophical. its something that happens. nintendo seems to have quite some games of their own to fill in the gaps. they also seem to involve more and more japanese third parties (valhalla, fatal frame team, omega force, team ninja, platinum, sega) also their indie lineup has now grown to something considerable.

Edit: Obviously it depends on the person, and I'm not saying there is no way anybody was swayed. I'm just not convinced that E3 did enough to change Nintendo's fortunes.

And for Reggie to say what he said doesn't do anything to help their image either.
nobody knows until the games actually ship.

i didnt think that luigi mansion 2 or fire emblem awakening would do anything.

i expected mario 3d world to sell much more than it did (of course its going to keep on selling)

Q: Will you ever outsell them on a monthly basis?

A: You know, it’s going to be very interesting to see the NPD data [on U.S. sales] for June.

Maybe Mario Kart pushed them to number one? I was reading another interview with him and he still thinks Nintendo can do it alone.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/13/r...t-nintendo-is-doing-for-a-comeback-interview/

GamesBeat: There’s still a relative success, where people may expect you to achieve more. Mario Kart has shown good numbers, but it’s lower than it would have been if you had a higher installed base. There’s some good and there’s still some challenges.

Reggie: This is what makes us different from all the other publishers. We have launched Mario Kart 8 roughly a year and a half into the life of Wii U. That game is going to sell in big numbers now through the end of life. That’s a very different proposition than what many other publishers do. They annualize their content. They launch and the content is gone four months later. Because of the high quality of our software, because they really are system-selling must-have games, they sell for years and years.

We’re still selling Mario Kart DS when that product was launched in 2005. We’re still selling New Super Mario Bros. for the Wii. That was launched, I think, in 2008? We sell product for years. The argument of, boy, maybe Nintendo should have waited until the installed base was higher? No. These games drive our installed base.
Without that third party support the Wii U will have no chance of outselling either system in the end.

i think this is the first time in history a publisher has sustained their own console with less tha 10 games from third parties. there is no third party. SNK with Neo Geo comes to mind but that was a failure. Nintendo can actually pull this off. They have to moneyhat their way to success next gen. Seriously. buy a one year exclusive to GTA6 or something.

Maybe Mario Kart pushed them to number one? I was reading another interview with him and he still thinks Nintendo can do it alone.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/06/13/r...t-nintendo-is-doing-for-a-comeback-interview/

Without that third party support the Wii U will have no chance of outselling either system in the end.
watchdogs did 4 million world wide and mario kart did like 1,2 million world wide in the first week or something.

i could see mario kart having better legs though and watchdogs was a multiplat release that probably did very well on PS360 too.
some people in here seem genuinely upset that Nintendo has good word of mouth right now lol

i think there is a certain amount of unfairness regarding nintendos lineup in general.

dont get me wrong. i didnt like the first year that much but as a PS4 owner since April I can say that PS4 has been way worse so far.

Within one year I had games like Pikmin 3, Wonderful 101, Mario 3D World, New Super Mario and Luigi U, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Rayman, Splinter Cell, Tekken Tag tournament, Batman Arkham City and Origins, Assassins Creed 3 and 4, Wii Party U, Wii Fit U, Nintendoland, Need For Speed Most Wanted U, Fifa 13, NBA 2K13, Deus Ex Directors Cut, Call of Duty Ghosts and Blops2 etc. etc. This year so far I only got mario kart 8 and donkey kong but Hyrule Warriors, Wii Sports Club, Toad Treasure Trackers, Smash are on the horizon and I wouldnt be surprised if there are some games that will come out that we havent heard of yet.

On PS4 so far I have bought Infamous, Yakuza Isshin, Metal Gears Ground Zeroes, Killzone and I cant think of many games that I would need a PS4 for when you have a PS3 or 360 too. Assassins Creed Unity is probably the only one.

I realize that some of the multiplats I bought on WiiU I could get on PS4 and that many of those franchises will are not be comming back anytime soon but the general tone regarding PS4 is so positive while the WiiU is always shrugged off as having no games at all when it clearly does not seem to be the case.

I was saying that delays are not something that is catastrophical.

When the only reason people buy your system is for the exclusives, yes delays of your exclusives are catastrophical. Nintendo seems to think they have time to release games when they feel like it, but it only hurts them because consumers will play something else and retailers will start reducing shelf space. Nintendo used to make money on hardware sales but they can barely sell the stock they have and that's at a loss. Software sales are where they make their money now but if they aren't releasing games then that hurts them too. It's just a bad situation all around.

Daschysta

They almost certainly have other stuff to fall back on. Rumour has it 3 more 3rd party exclusives they have saved smtxfe is on schedule, fatal frame is coming too. Ninty has a metric crap ton of 2015 stuff, one game getting pushed back wouldn't be the end of the world.

Yoshi, Zelda, Splatoon, Canvas Curse, Pushmo, Xenoblade X, Star Fox, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, SmtxFE and possibly devils 3rd, we also know Next Level is working on a new game too and that is just 2015 stuff already announced, that's a monster year of quality software not even considering Nintendo always holds back quite a few announcements to unveil throughout the year via Nintendo direct and Nintys preference for unveiling games relatively close to their announcement.

It's taken a while, but Ninty has a great holiday lineup, and an amazing announced lineup and they are all exclusives.

When the only reason people buy your system is for the exclusives, yes delays of your exclusives are catastrophical. Nintendo seems to think they have time to release games when they feel like it, but it only hurts them because consumers will play something else and retailers will start reducing shelf space. Nintendo used to make money on hardware sales but they can barely sell the stock they have and that's at a loss. Software sales are where they make their money now but if they aren't releasing games then that hurts them too. It's just a bad situation all around.

lets see. do you want a half baked game fast (countless games that just break soon after launch and have huge post launch patches to make them barely playable) or a proper release even if it was delayed (for example Pikmin 3 which was supposed to be a near launch title).

Also they seem to be able to bring a good quantity on the table now.
They almost certainly have other stuff to fall back on. Rumour has it 3 more 3rd party exclusives they have saved smtxfe is on schedule, fatal frame is coming too. Ninty has a metric crap ton of 2015 stuff, one game getting pushed back wouldn't be the end of the world.

Yoshi, Zelda, Splatoon, Canvas Curse, Pushmo, Xenoblade X, Star Fox, Mario Maker, Mario Party 10, SmtxFE and possibly devils 3rd, we also know Next Level is working on a new game too and that is just 2015 stuff already announced, that's a monster year of quality software not even considering Nintendo always holds back quite a few announcements to unveil throughout the year via Nintendo direct and Nintys preference for unveiling games relatively close to their announcement.

It's taken a while, but Ninty has a great holiday lineup, and an amazing announced lineup and they are all exclusives.
yup. i think the "lol no games" argument was used too often and while it may be correct it is definately not being applied to the third party situation in general. many third party games for 2014 have been delayed to 2015 too and aside of the annual releases (call of duty, battlefield, asssassins, sports games) i really dont see much for 2014 for my PS4 so far.

Owwari

Banned
Somehow, almost always, Reggie manages to make me dislike him just before I'm about to give him the benefit of the doubt.

And here I thought humility after loss was a clear CEO management skill (Phil Spencer anyone?)

Daschysta

If you are a diehard Nintendo fan and gorgeous Zelda, the ultimate zelda fan service game, a canvass curse sequel, a Yoshis Island that isn't outsourced, a innovative new IP, a new puzzle game series, starfox, Smash Bros, A mario level maker with content sharing, probably smtxfe, and Bayonetta 1 and 2 on one disc all within the next year and a half don't excite you theb you are an... odd diehard Nintendo fan.

kirby_fox

Banned
I'm wondering if his statement also has to deal with what he knows is coming next year via the QOL project. If they honestly believe this product can push people to the Wii U/3DS, then it makes sense to say they aren't done yet.

I think their E3 showing was pretty decent, especially the Treehouse gameplay- whether or not that turns into sales only time will tell.

I haven't kept up on all their 2014 titles so what do they have this holiday? Bayonetta and Smash? What else?

I have all three consoles. And the wiiu is a good second console. I'd rather go ps4 and wiiu or xbone and wiiu rather than ps4 and xbone. If Nintendo can keep a steady steam of good games even if first part I think the system may turn around some. I think a lot of true gamers would go back for Zelda, starfox, metroid, etc. is it going to sell ps4 or xbox numbers.... Probably not close but after seeing this e3 it looks lime there should be some solid games coming out for the foreseeable future.

some people in here seem genuinely upset that Nintendo has good word of mouth right now lol

I'm not going to play the post-history game, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's significant overlap between the "nintendo didn't show anything to interest anyone but nintendo fans" crowd and the "I'd buy their stuff if they went third party" crowd

If you are a diehard Nintendo fan and gorgeous Zelda, the ultimate zelda fan service game, a canvass curse sequel, a Yoshis Island that isn't outsourced, a innovative new IP, a new puzzle game series, starfox, Smash Bros, A mario level maker with content sharing, probably smtxfe, and Bayonetta 1 and 2 on one disc all within the next year and a half don't excite you theb you are an... odd diehard Nintendo fan.

I said I was a diehard Nintendo fan. "Was" being the operative term.

I used to get into SNES vs Genesis debates. I used to write letters to NOA asking when the Ultra 64 was coming out (it was delayed before being renamed the Nintendo 64) because I was so excited to play an arcade-perfect Killer Instinct at home. I kept my GameCube on the shelf of my entertainment center, proudly standing side-by-side with my PS2. And even though the GameCube started seeing less and less of my playing time, I loved Nintendo.

And then they released the Wii. And I bought it. And I got tired of playing the same waiting game as I always did with Nintendo. Waiting for great games. Waiting for third parties to bring their titles over. I couldn't do it anymore. My Wii gathered dust while my PS3 and 360 saw the bulk of my playing time.

When the WiiU was announced, I didn't bat an eye. I don't know if I outgrew Nintendo or they just stopped speaking to me. But I've moved on. And nothing they've shown so far has made me regret that decision. A new Zelda game would excite me if I hadn't grown tired of Zelda ten years ago. Same with Mario Kart. And Mario. And Donkey Kong. And just about every IP they own.

TLDR: Nintendo will always hold a special place in my heart. Right next to the He-Man and Ninja Turtle toys I played with as a kid.

I won't try to speak for everyone, but personally, I'm happy about the word of mouth finally being positive for Nintendo. I just find it amusing when so many diehards seem to believe it's going to translate into huge sales for them.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the WiiU is at sub-GameCube levels in sales. Expecting some positive press to help right the ship is like expecting to bail out the Titanic using thimbles. It's possible, but not bloody likely.

Dire

I don't consider any single game a system seller. I think history shows most people are in the same boat.

I look for overall appeal of a system and I have 0 brand loyalty. Last gen I had at best a vague and passing interest in the Wii largely due to Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, Dragon Quest X and a handful of other titles. This gen I have 0 interest in the XBone aside from a handful of indie titles (which are also on the PC) and the same is true to a lesser degree of the PS4 although there at least No Man's Sky looks like it has incredible potential.

The reason that the Wii U conference convinced me to pick one up was the games actually looked like fun to play and fresh. Pair that with the games I was interested in from the Wii along with some nice nostalgia sales from the virtual console and I was sold. I'm getting very bored with PS4/XBone both going for shooters that are supposed to sell me based primarily on their graphics. I'm not particularly swayed by graphics, but even if I were the biggest irony is that they still aren't even close to what I get today on my PC from a 3 year old game (TESV). I also happen to have a preference for shooters in particular running at at least a stable 60FPS.

The one bias I do have is for console over PC gaming. I probably would not be picking up a Wii U if not for the fact that PC couch gaming is still a bit awkward at times. But it is what it is so yeah. They won me over and I was literally just telling my wife (prior to E3) that the Wii U will likely be imminently canceled. Go figure.

Top Bottom