• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Battlefield 3 Special- New Footage of Graphics, Animation, Karkand, Weapons, Jets

strata8

SneakyStephan said:
It's neat how the helicopters apparently generate a lot of downwards airflow.
Look at how the palmtree leaves get blown around then pushed down hard when the heli goes over em.

Give it a few more years maybe in the next battlefield we'll get a proper storm with high winds blowing shit around.
I think I remember Crysis having this as well. Not sure about the helicopters, but definitely with VTOLs and missiles. As a missile flew past a tree, the palm tree would bend away from it and its leaves would be blown back.

*waiting for another Crytek PC exclusive*

I'm totally blown away. I won't even bother with the Xbox 360 or PlayStation3 versions, because I know they can't handle it at the level we all want. PC all the way. The only console version I would concider would be a Cafe version, if it happened. BF3 looks totally next-gen to me.

Norml

NotTarts said:
I think I remember Crysis having this as well. Not sure about the helicopters, but definitely with VTOLs and missiles. As a missile flew past a tree, the palm tree would bend away from it and its leaves would be blown back.

*waiting for another Crytek PC exclusive*

Uncharted 2 also had that kind of stuff and Farcry2 from shock waves.
uncharted-2-o.gif

commedieu

Banned
dLMN8R said:
What the fuck is this thread?

Bad Company 2 was fucking awesome on consoles.

Bad Company 2 was fucking awesome on PC.

Bad Company 2 was the best new multiplayer game of 2010 on all platforms.

Battlefield 3 will be fucking awesome on all platforms. Maybe particularly awesome on PC, but still awesome on consoles.

Can the stupid bitching and moaning stop now please?

Im with u. BC2 wasn't as on fire as the PC version, but compared to the top efforts of other developers on consoles, it kicked ass.

LEGGZZZZ

dLMN8R said:
What the fuck is this thread?

Bad Company 2 was fucking awesome on consoles.

Bad Company 2 was fucking awesome on PC.

Bad Company 2 was the best new multiplayer game of 2010 on all platforms.

Battlefield 3 will be fucking awesome on all platforms. Maybe particularly awesome on PC, but still awesome on consoles.

Can the stupid bitching and moaning stop now please?

THANK YOU. It's like if you mention anything positive about the console version you get shot down from pc players. Game will be awesome on all platforms like BFBC2, just alot more on pc (that said this game is making me consider joining the master race).

i am getting this on ps3 probably...

i may get a pc copy as well just for single player but there's no way i'll be able to compete in multi with a mouse and keyboard since i'm totally new to pc gaming and will not be able to get used to it.

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Norml said:
They seem to be trying to do good with PS3,here some slides from one of their papers awhile back.

http://i.imgur.com/8QATw.png
http://i.imgur.com/fXTrD.png
http://i.imgur.com/qwk80.png
WFpUU.png

This needs to be quoted in every multiplatform thread on gaf. How many PS3 multiplatform games are "gimped" these days? Barely none. Not a fanboy, just don't like ignorance.

It's possible that the PS3 version might have slightly lower resolution textures here and there (but NOT 256mb to 512mb as some suggest, system ram, video ram (PS3), unified (Xbox36)), especially on alpha mapped particles, but the PS3's architecture is on the other hand better at doing physics and things like deferred rendering. As for everything else, the two match up very well with each other in multiplatform titles.

Anyways, I am getting the PC version regardless as it's definitely going to look way better. And I get to play it in stereoscopic 3D. Can't wait, it looks fantastic.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Well, as I already have the game Pre-Ordered EA has already sold me BF3, but this just helps, a lot.

If this game even gets half the play-time I sank into BF2, it'll be well worth the investment, I can see myself doing that just in the Karkand map pack if I'm honest.

NBtoaster

Wonder how a 560 will handle this :s Can't really afford something better.

I hope the single player is good. I liked BC1's more than BC2. Hopefully it supports the 360 controller too, annoying that BC2 didn't.

hylje

woober said:
Flankers rejoice![/QUOTE]

Major aspect I am expecting from BF3. Bad Company 2 has great maps which push forward via narrow maps but I've much more into square maps where I can spend half the round sneaking behind the line and give opposite the WTF momentum.
Might be the first time I'll be double dipping with PC/console with this one. I just hope my radeon5770 will handle somewhat. I know my CPU will.

Zinga

Banned
Insane Metal said:
Well, time to update my rig, it seems.

My Phenom II and HD4890 can't handle this. =(

Will an i5 2500k be enough for this?

Obviously not, but...

Your current system will easily handle this, not at maximum detail but still it will look damn good...

Please don't split the OT's. I for one will be getting it on PS3 and PC.

If the OT get's derailed into platform wars just apply heavy banning! ;D

Azriell

My first Battlefield game was 1943, and then later BFBC2. Seeing the improvements on the 4 pack of BF2 maps is awesome.

It makes me flash back to MW2 with the $15 map packs which included 2 old maps that where changed in a very limited fashion. And then you have DICE, who has clearly put in a considerable amount of effort into these 4 legacy maps. It's night and day, and as someone who has never played on those maps, the new version was hardly recognizable. It's amazing, and they're giving it away just for pre-ordering a game that a large portion of the people who would buy it anyways would buy it on day one (as opposed to used sales; I don't think very many fans of any online FPS is willing to wait for a price drop when they want to be there day one, learning to new maps and playing the new game, not to mention the prices on these online-focused FPS tends to drop very slowly). I'm getting a bit away from myself here, but this is the type of pre-order bonuses that should be offered up, not a piece of armor or whatever other shit I'd never miss if I didn't have.

I'll be getting BF3 on 360. Even though it won't look nearly this good, I'm sure it will still be a gorgeous game. BFBC2 is a great looking game on 360 (the campaign in particular, but there's nothing wrong with MP either). The animations stand out more than anything, and there's not going to be any conflict there on consoles. And I'm sure BF3 will have the same great sound design as BFBC2.

This game cannot come soon enough, and this may be the first year in what seems like forever that I don't buy the yearly CoD
on day one. Sorry!

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The clips of 1942 and especially the BF2 Back to Karkland vids of the old maps brought back memories - visually the remakes don't recapture the tone of those maps but it should be cool to at least recall the familiar parts of the geometry at least.

Insane Metal said:
Well, time to update my rig, it seems.

My Phenom II and HD4890 can't handle this. =(

Will an i5 2500k be enough for this?

Obviously not, but...

Where are you getting the silly idea that a phenomII isn't (MORE THAN) enough?
For the last frigging time people, you don't need anything near an i5 2500 for gaming.

The framerate differences that you see in cpu 'gaming' benchmarks (which are small to begin with) are only there because the benchmarks are ran at 640x480 with every gpu intensive setting turned off or down.

Do you plan to play in 480p at the very lowest settings?
If not, you won't notice any difference between your phenom II and a new sandy bridge cpu.

Your phenom II is going to be sitting there with 1-2 cores idling and the others at 60-70 percent anyhow, any extra speed is useless.

If anyone says 'but but but futureproof', then upgrade in the future, not now when you already have 100 percent capable cpu.

This cpu FUD shows up in almost every pc thread and it's getting really annoying.

Let's talk weapons:

a73Lr.png

I'm no expert so please let me know if this is right..

Left side (from top):
(obscured)
M4
HK416
M16
M14

Right side (from top):
AKS-74U
AK-47?
FAMAS
G36C

*Crosses fingers and hopes that an HD Radeon 6970 can get anywhere near the highest setting*

I really missed out on the Battlefield series pre Battlefield 2. Any active communities left?

woober

According to this, it looks like we'll be getting at least a minute of multiplayer footage pretty soon.

"@RollieThePollie: RollieThePollie is back! Recording MP all day long ;)

@RollieThePollie: 4 hours of recording MP with @Noken in #bf3 done. Had a blast playing. Now we need to trim it down to a minute or so Phuew!;) "

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
endlessflood said:
Let's talk weapons:

a73Lr.png

Left side (from top):
(obscured)
M4
HK416
M16
SKS

Right side (from top):
AKS-74U
AK-107
FAMAS
G36C
can i use the blonde weapon?

endlessflood said:
Let's talk weapons:

a73Lr.png

Left side (from top):
(obscured)
M4
HK416
M16
M14

Right side (from top):
AKS-74U
AK-47?
FAMAS
G36C

The obscured weapon is an AR15 family weapon without a magazine (you can tell by the mag well, but there's no way to tell specific model) + attached M203. What you identified as an M16 below the HK416 could easily be an M4 or one of a dozen very closely related M4 variants (colloquially known as "M4geries"), but it is probably not an M16 because the military M16 rifles are issued with a full stock, not a collapsible, M4 style stock present in the picture. You probably made the ID based on the handle/sight, but those come standard issue with an M4 SOPMOD kit as well, they slide on and off pretty easily.

The ASK-74u is an accurate ID. The weapon below is most likely an AK-103, based on its polymer construction, the shape of the gas-port and the 7.62x39 magazine. The stock is very unusual, almost certainly custom. FAMAS/ G36c are all too easy to identify.

J-Rzez

ThoseDeafMutes said:
The ASK-74u is an accurate ID. The weapon below is most likely an AK-103, based on its polymer construction, the shape of the gas-port and the 7.62x39 magazine. The stock is very unusual, almost certainly custom. FAMAS/ G36c are all too easy to identify.

Yeah, that's my guess, it's just blinged out 2-pc folding and railed stock. I do hope there's a really sizable weapon armory for this game.

Top Bottom