• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[EA-Conf] Dead Space 3 co-op gameplay and trailer [Use new footage thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
So I guess they were able to *Dead Space 2 Spoiler*
regrow Ellie's eye barl because in the trailer she has both eyes. Didn't know they had the technology to re-grow limbs and whatnot seeing as how gritty the DS setting is.

Edit: Ellie looks a lot more attractive in this game, too.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Hard to pick out a worst part... but the inane banter is high on the list.

Shut the fuck up. Seriously.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The worst part about co-op banter is that even if you and your partner actually want to play the game and experience the story, any tenseness/horror drops out simply due to the fact that A) Your buddy is 'expected' to pull you out of the fire and vice-versa, and B) the simple fact that another combat-ready human being is with you fighting lowers the isolation and fear of the unknown.

I'm betting DS3 goes even further down the "clear the room" mentality than DS2 and away from "monster closets" that DS1 had.

survivor

Banned
Eh, co-op video didn't look too hot. Maybe it will be fun if I play it with a friend, otherwise not looking forward to the game.

AkuMifune

Banned
He's the nail in the coffin

Not quite. The nail in the coffin will be the wacky sidekick. You know, Joe Pesci. In the DLC.

Dead Space surprised me with the sequel before, and I hope they do it again, but co-op has no business in a survival horror.

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Paging Ian to this thread. People about to die of depression and rage-strokes.

You rang?

NeoGaf, we go way back. I remember when our first Game Informer debut came out (Aug 2007), and everyone here said Isaac looked like a Big Daddy how it was gonna suck. Then the first DS2 shots surfaced and everyone hated the "high tech" look, etc. Things turned out okay then, right? I mean, not exactly the same, but still pretty good, yeah?

We won't do you wrong. E3 stage demos are a peculiar beast. You only have 3 minutes, and it has to be "POW! EXCITING!" You can't really go into details on how stuff works. But we're fans, too. We don't want to mess it up any more than you want us to.

There is a specific plan about how info gets rolled out (we've got until Feb 2013 after all), and I can't violate that, but I'm happy to clear up misconceptions where I can.

BosSin

You rang?

NeoGaf, we go way back. I remember when our first Game Informer debut came out (Aug 2007), and everyone here said Isaac looked like a Big Daddy how it was gonna suck. Then the first DS2 shots surfaced and everyone hated the "high tech" look, etc. Things turned out okay then, right? I mean, not exactly the same, but still pretty good, yeah?

We won't do you wrong. E3 stage demos are a peculiar beast. You only have 3 minutes, and it has to be "POW! EXCITING!" You can't really go into details on how stuff works. But we're fans, too. We don't want to mess it up any more than you want us to.

There is a specific plan about how info gets rolled out (we've got until Feb 2013 after all), and I can't violate that, but I'm happy to clear up misconceptions where I can.

Will CO-OP be forced upon single player gaming?

You rang?

VQRv1.gif

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?

Out of curiosity, what can you tell? I'm wondering how drop-in drop-out co-op will work on two fronts, both on enemy health/numbers and ammo drops (are they individual, shared, etc), and plot-wise, does Carver say "see you later, gotta go check on X" if your co-op buddy drops out?

Or is it more of a choice when you start playing a new game/chapter/scene to have Carver present?

(If) You guys kill Ellie you're dead to me.

AkuMifune

Banned
lawl, dead space 3 is ahead of black ops in spike's leaderboards.

I thought it would be the casuals who killed gaming. Turns out the brogamers beat them to it.

Here's a misconception to clear up, how is this not the worst feature that could have been introduced to the Dead Space series?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
You rang?

Bingo.

I'm there day 1... so long as I'm not forced to run around with an AI partner.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
You rang?

The banter was the worst part about it. Will Isaac be less chatty if I play it alone? I liked DS2 and don't mind more action in the series but their banter sounded like they are playing a videogame, not fighting for their lives so I would prefer to turn it off.

You rang?

Please clarify the universal ammo system. Please. It's only thing that's dragging down my hype for the game.

Some info on how SP works without Carver would also be very much appreciated.

codecow

Well, of course! The entire game is gonna be a dude-bro banter fest that makes Gears of War look like it has estrogen pumping in its vein. I can tell by the demo where they wanted to show off their newest and most substantial feature that the previous titles did not have!

This x1000. Hopefully at the conference proper much more information about the game will come out.

Monkey Pants

First: "Drop-In Drop Out" Co-Op:

We're doing this differently than its ever been done before, to my knowledge, so it's easy to understand why there'd be confusion.

What it usually means is that when your friend isn't playing, the other character is taken over by a dumb AI that gets in your way all the time or you have to babysit or doesn't revive you when he's supposed to.

In DS3 HE'S JUST NOT THERE. It's just like the classic DS you know and love. There's no banter. This has been extremely tricky (and expensive!) to figure out, but we didn't want to mess up a good thing. Cutscenes and gameplay are different depending if you're playing co-op or not.

We did this because a lot of people said "I think I'd love your game, but it's too intense for me, man!" Instead of making the game less intense, we added this. Think of it like going to a horror movie with your friends instead of alone.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I liked when Issac was swallowed by the monster; it felt very claustrophobic and smothering. The shootout, complete with waist high cover, was pretty terrible though. (keep shootouts out of my Dead Space please) And I'm not a fan of the co-op dialog, but since the co-op is optional and the game changes in single player, I'm not too upset. I definitely need to see more of it. (the single player)

You rang?

I'm happy to clear up misconceptions where I can.

Is cover and unlimited ammo in single player?

We're doing this differently than its ever been done before, to my knowledge, so it's easy to understand why there'd be confusion.

What it usually means is that when your friend isn't playing, the other character is taken over by a dumb AI that gets in your way all the time or you have to babysit or doesn't revive you when he's supposed to.

In DS3 HE'S JUST NOT THERE. It's just like the classic DS you know and love. There's no banter. This has been extremely tricky (and expensive!) to figure out, but we didn't want to mess up a good thing. Cutscenes and gameplay are different depending if you're playing co-op or not.

We did this because a lot of people said "I think I'd love your game, but it's too intense for me, man!" Instead of making the game less intense, we added this. Think of it like going to a horror movie with your friends instead of alone.

That sounds good.

pvpness

So I guess they were able to *Dead Space 2 Spoiler*
regrow Ellie's eye barl because in the trailer she has both eyes. Didn't know they had the technology to re-grow limbs and whatnot seeing as how gritty the DS setting is.

Edit: Ellie looks a lot more attractive in this game, too.

Robot eye.

I thought it would be the casuals who killed gaming. Turns out the brogamers beat them to it.

Here's a misconception to clear up, how is this not the worst feature that could have been introduced to the Dead Space series?

That's kinda funny considering before dudebros were dudebros they were casuals. Luckily neither group is killing gaming, sorry.

Hey, Monkey Pants, can we have Isaac and Carver fist bumping in a couple places? Maybe high-five button? I wanna watch the youtube videos of survival horror fanatics blowing their brains out.

So hyped for this fucking game.

As long as it's optional.. I'm Ok with it.

Bring it on :)

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Woot woot :)

Day 1.

Hell yes, this is exactly how I hoped SP would work. Bravo, good sirs...Bravo.

Now about that universal ammo system....

Struct09

Great, now I have to play through the game both alone and co-op.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Hey, Monkey Pants, can we have Isaac and Carver fist bumping in a couple places? Maybe high-five button? I wanna watch the youtube videos of survival horror fanatics blowing their brains out.

Oh god yes - make it an achievement. That would be hilarious.

Great, now I have to play through the game both alone and co-op.

Two games for the price of one. :)

Is there an in-story explanation/scene if and when your companion character departs/rejoins you? I'm really curious about how this'll work, because it sounds neat.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
You rang?

I suppose I am in the minority here in that the game looks great to me. It looks like two of my concerns (or should I say wants) were addressed: Boss fights, and awesome looking one's at that and it seems like they're also going to explain more about the Marker/Necromorphs. Didn't Ellie say something like "source of it all"?

Psi

I'd much rather see youtube videos of dudebro gamers trying to play a survival horror game and see how quickly they pussy out.

Mr_eX

It looks different which I'm OK with as I don't want the same thing over and over but I really don't want another cover based shooter.

Monkey Pants

Please clarify the universal ammo system. Please. It's only thing that's dragging down my hype for the game.

Some info on how SP works without Carver would also be very much appreciated.

Universal Ammo I can't go into too much detail about, since what we have planned for the weapons is something we'll be talking about later. But it's a big change for the future that I think is really cool, and the ammo thing works in concert with it.

BosSin

Thanks for answering my question, sounds great

Monkey Pants

Cover System:

This isn't a cover shooter. There is no "take cover" button or stuff like that. We do, however have some cool new enemies that can shoot at you. And that left Isaac feeling a little awkward to deal with it, so we added a few new additions to the controls. Crouches and rolls, mostly. The game knows if you're crouched behind something and does some elegant little adjustments to make the presentation smooth. That's about it. You probably wouldn't even notice.

The heart of the game is still strategic dismemberment vs. Necromorphic beasties. We just gave some of them some surprises is all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom