• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Anthem for March 2019

kyubajin

I'll just wait for reviews and analysis, if the game is good I will support it. Not giving undeserved trust to either one anymore.

makaveli60

I believe that gameplay shown last year was running on an Xbox One X. Either way went back and looked and the trailer and while it looks nice it's also running on Frostbite which is arguably the most impressive graphics engine this gen anyway. Nothing in that gameplay footage looks that much different than what you'd see from an outdoor environment in SW:BF II, imo.
Yeah, it would be fully possible if this was only being developed for the X. But don't forget that the lowest common denominator is the original Xbox One, and the difference will only be the resolution and maybe some minimal graphical upgrades. I may be wrong, but this is the common practice. And Frostbite is fine but IQ on consoles is quite bad, I would be so glad if they ditched that faux 60fps on consoles and included a decent AA method with less pop-up.

WaterAstro WaterAstro you are right, but IMO MS is still a bit more consumer friendly than EA, and not everything is online only multiplayer etc.

Last edited:

Pallas

I was pretty hyped for the game during its E3 reveal, however that has worn off especially with the possibility of loot boxes(cosmetic ones are OK in my opinion)

I personally like Bioware and enjoyed Mass Effect/Dragon Age series, even Andromeda to a certain point, with that said I don’t really like EA taking Bioware away from something they have regularly been decent at and throw them into something that isn’t their forte. If this game bombs or doesn’t meet EA’s expectations, it could prove costly for Bioware.

Aintitcool

Banned
I have no interest in games as a service and will probably skip this. a game you cant enjoyably SOLO offline,is just not for me because I never have friends to play a whole campaign with. I do respect bioware for trying something new though. They made an excellent multiplayer for mass effect 3 and this is like a full fledged game based on that hoard gameplay.

But will I be able to talk to NPCs and just explore planets in anthem?

sublimit

Banned
I feel sorry for the poor souls who are interested in this game. I expect it to be filled with microtransactions and loot boxes that will be needed to progress unless you want to grind for countless hours.

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm not expecting the game to be fully ready and packed with content in March but hopefully EA actually release the game with enough content at launch to avoid a huge backlash.

If they put out a bare bones package at launch with a load of lootboxes then I fear the game will be dead on arrival.

sertopico

I wonder if Bioware (I mean, just the name) will still be among us in 2019.

Besides, Blair Brown also left the company recently.

Last edited:

Zannegan

That's not a great pedigree, IMO, though Inquisition was a step up from DA2 from what I hear, so there's that. If anything this makes me less enthused about Respawn's Star Wars game.

As for Anthem, I like the premise, like the openness of the hub-world, and the graphics are quite nice, but it was clear from the beginning that they were following in Destiny's footsteps. Maybe this delay signals a subtle shift in direction, or, perhaps, a commitment to delivering significant content at launch. That would be amazing.

I still follow the game, because I want to be wrong--who wouldnn't want a kickass multiplayer mech adventure?--but I don't hold out a lot of hope. As per the modern Bioware standard, I expect inconsequential story choices and awful writing.

Dragon Age Inq. Was definitely not a step down from 2 IMO. And since a lot of DA devs were put on Andromeda to help get it over the finish line I won’t condemn the guy for it.

As for Anthem... the longer they take to release is the longer Warframe and Destiny will eat it’s lunch before it gets out of class.

It better come correct is all I am saying.

Just rewatched the gameplay front e3 and IGN had a pretty good run up of what to expect and what we know

I gotta say this game looks really good, I love the entire premise. Wish they didn’t bother with that “fantasy” element and kept it a gritty sci fi

Hopefully the micro transactions are acceptable and the game is very well made

EDMIX

Just rewatched the gameplay front e3 and IGN had a pretty good run up of what to expect and what we know

I gotta say this game looks really good, I love the entire premise. Wish they didn’t bother with that “fantasy” element and kept it a gritty sci fi

Hopefully the micro transactions are acceptable and the game is very well made

Well considering how Battlefield 2, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield V all have free dlc, free season pass etc and just cosmetics as micro transactions while having even that content free and obtainable in game, I think this game will probably be fine.

autoduelist

But it's bad that we accept this just like that. I mean, nowadays we just have to assume that if something looks unbelievable then it is because it is unachievable on current hardware. Yes, mostly 3rd party games, but even exclusives go through some minor downgrades. I think previous gens were different. Games tended to look better closer to release, and not worse. Don't take me wrong, I'm okay with how games look today, but I just hate it that they still look worse than what they show us initially.

Ehd, it's very difficult to tell how game is going to perform early on when few of the major systems are actually coded. It's not until everything is added in but they have to make hard choices optimizing to hit performance milestones. So it makes sense that they have great looking early footage, it makes sense that that's what they want to show the build hype. I mean, I'm sure they know they need to eventually back it down some but there's really no way to know how much until you have to do it.

Last edited:

Codes 208

That teaser looked like straight up destiny. Overall kinda seems like destiny meets titanfall.

Ooh, I hope they announce Titanfall 3 this year.

Well considering how Battlefield 2, Titanfall 2 and Battlefield V all have free dlc, free season pass etc and just cosmetics as micro transactions while having even that content free and obtainable in game, I think this game will probably be fine.
You mean Battlefront 2, right?

Codes 208

Are people still excited about this game?
I'd say ask again after E3. We've heard literally nothing of it since last year. Games that go quiet are usually unhyped until they become relevant and the hype train kicks off.

But for a more grounded answer, Im certainly not. Not yet anyway.

Pallas

Are people still excited about this game?

I was when they showed it off at last years E3, but my excitement has tremendously dwindled. I thought the way the game looked last year was just too good to be true, I expect a downgrade of some sorts.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.ea.com/en-gb/news/5-things-coming-to-ea-play-for-anthem?setLocale=en-gb

Mark your calendar. On June 9, 2018 at 11 a.m. PDT, EA PLAY returns with a detailed look at the gameplay of BioWare’s™ upcoming Action-RPG, Anthem™. Here are five things we can share ahead of the stream.

1. A New Trailer

That’s right, we’re delivering an unseen trailer that delves into the dangerous world of Anthem. You’ll get a glimpse into the story, characters, and monsters that bring the game to life.

2. More Gameplay

Last year we showed off some of the core gameplay that you can expect from Anthem – flying, fighting, and of course, collecting loot. And this year we’re happy to show off some more. Tune in to see it all.

3. Combat Showcase

One thing we’ll be showing in-depth this time around is combat. The power of the Javelin exosuit will be on full display as players take on the most ferocious enemies seen yet.

4. Developer Insights

The dev team at BioWare has been hard at work, and now they’re ready to show it off in-person. Hear some of the guiding principles that have shaped the development of Anthem as BioWare General Manager Casey Hudson, Executive Producer Mark Darrah, and Lead Writer Cathleen Rootsaert take the stage.

5. A Look Behind The Curtain

Along with hearing from the developers themselves, we’ll be showing off some of the concept and production art of Anthem. You’ll get a chance to see the craftsmanship that has built this incredible world from the ground up.

Be sure to tune in right at 11 a.m. PDT so you won’t miss a minute of this momentous live event.

makaveli60

Ehd, it's very difficult to tell how game is going to perform early on when few of the major systems are actually coded. It's not until everything is added in but they have to make hard choices optimizing to hit performance milestones. So it makes sense that they have great looking early footage, it makes sense that that's what they want to show the build hype. I mean, I'm sure they know they need to eventually back it down some but there's really no way to know how much until you have to do it.
I understand everything you mean, but this still doesn't make it right, because they deceive us. Dial back a bit, and then surprise us if it looks better when the game releases.

Mr Hyde

When this game was first shown I was pretty impressed. I'm not usually down for multiplayer-games but this one caught my attention, and it looks like you can ride solo too so it's all good. Unfortunately, EA is pulling the strings and from what I can tell Anthem has their footprints all over it. I vowed to never again buy a game published from EA, but if the sun and moon aligns this might be an exception. I want it to be good, for Biowares sake, but I can't shake off the feeling that this game has failure written all over it.

Last edited:

How the fuck has voice acting gotten so shit over the years?

Edit: What a legit shit looking game.

× "There's a base defence turret, I know I'll fly straight past it, no ALL 10 of them without it noticing me."
In what fucking war could any man, animal, tank or plane ever not have to worry about a fucking BASE DEFENCE TURRET without getting blown to smithereens?!

× Underwater Secret Base
...at the end of this 5 second long LINEAR CORRIDOR.

× "These amazing exosuits, passed down through generations"
What?! 15 years ago, we all used Nokia fucking bricks as phones and now we have bezeless, pionoblack slabs with 3D retina scanners capable of Augmented and Virtual Reality.
Imagine the speed in which exosuit technology would become obsolete.

× "There's a boss! Let's continue to fly straight past it because it will never notice us anyway."
You just avoid enemies in this game. What?

× "After a small duration, the jet packs get hot, so find a waterfall to fly under."
Seriously, fuck this shit.

Last edited:

Cosmogony

Regrettably, Anthem sounds and looks uninspired. The level design just doesn't pop out, even if the shown locations must have been polished to the nth degree for the demo. There's a certain disregard for details that doesn't bode well either, like the draping from The Strider. Why would cloth be hung from a heavy-armoured vehicle designed to go out into the wilderness and endure all of the perils of rough untamed nature? It just seems purely cosmetic and non-functional, the sort of thing one tends not to do when one's life is on the line.

The dialogue lines sit on the cheesy side of the fence, especially when voiced in that puzzling heterogeneity of accents. Finally, the plot seems to revolve around that all too familiar element of going around closing Oblivion-esque and Inquisition-esque Gates/Breaches/Veils/Echoes of Creation.

All of this makes it difficult for me to get excited.

Lanrutcon

Bet this sells well initially, enjoys about 3 months of media/player attention as a potential 2019 GOTY and then fades as people realise the game is shallow crap in a shiny wrapper without any real substance or significant content to hold anyone's interest for long.

Some other solid bets: 90% of the game's interesting shit is front-loaded and appears within the first few hours of play so that the game reviews well, it ships without an endgame so they can release earlier, features multiple technical issues with matchmaking on launch because they expect massive player drop off and planned their servers accordingly, a huge world but only contains a handful of activities that are copy-pasted like a Far Cry game, battle royale mode announced as first DLC.

I will be surprised if they learnt anything from Destiny 2 or Warframe.

If I turn out to be wrong, then I'll be happy.

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
I wanted to be excited about Anthem, but there's just too many concerns after E3.

I'll play it eventually because I play all looter shooters, but I'm not touching this at launch unless a fully realized end-game is shown in advance.

I'm sure complaining about EA and generalizing them as a company is much more fun than playing Anthem.

I bought 2 EA games since ME2 (TF2 and DA:I for 5 euro) and somehow I'm still swimming in backlog of good single player games that aren't designed to bleed players dry with forced multi.

My hype is pretty low for Anthem. Unless the reviews are spectacular, I’ll buy it on deep discount.

All I really want is another great Mass Effect game. When I see Anthem, I feel like it’s stopping me from getting a decent Mass Effect game and that biases me against it. ...the promos make it seem like an action game, not an rpg...that doesn’t make me happy.

I want to like it, but not feeling the vibe so far.

My fear is that this is going to be a sort of “Ghost Recon: Wildlands” games-as-a-service, but with sci fi and much better production values. And GR:W was fun for a bit but ultimately just repetitive and nowhere near the depth I want from a Bioware game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom