• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms Anthem for March 2019

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
No thank you. I more interested in these games that also coming in March.
left_alive_art.jpg

cover_rbt3.png

Yep. It's going to be glorious and frustrating at the same time.

I'll be playing both, and I think Destiny's next expansion comes out around then too.

Catphish

Not sure if I'm happy about it. I will play Anthem on PC but the KB+M controls are total shit (played the alpha, I swear it's shit) so I will play it with my DS4. Had no problem with it being a ful pve game but now I feel I will be in disadvantage against people aiming with mouse on PvP :_
I actually did better with controller on PC for Destiny, and fared quite well in PVP. You might be ok.

Last edited:

DonF

I played the close alpha last weekend and I have bad news, my dudes. The game, at least on ps4 pro, runs like ass. It looked ok, but performance was awful. This could be because its the alpha, but I would keep my expectations on check.

The gameplay feels alot like mass effect andromeda, but with better animations and more weight. The mission design its also shit.

Personally I won't be buying the game until its $20 or less and the post launch support is...not dire. Hard to tell nowadays with EA.

Trogdor1123

I played the close alpha last weekend and I have bad news, my dudes. The game, at least on ps4 pro, runs like ass. It looked ok, but performance was awful. This could be because its the alpha, but I would keep my expectations on check.

The gameplay feels alot like mass effect andromeda, but with better animations and more weight. The mission design its also shit.

Personally I won't be buying the game until its $20 or less and the post launch support is...not dire. Hard to tell nowadays with EA.
Frame rate issues?

Trogdor1123

Oh yes, bad frame rate, bad frame pacing, stutters, you name it. Perhaps bioware can iron it out before launch, optimization should be their top priority right now.
Given it is an alpha, this makes sense. I assume you sent them this feedback?

DonF

Given it is an alpha, this makes sense. I assume you sent them this feedback?
Yeah I did. Besides performance issues, the mission structure its was bland AF.

Like go there, kill some things, grab 6 light spheres because this door works that way... Mission complete.
Lets say that im concerned that papa EA will take little bioware to the forest.

Trogdor1123

Yeah I did. Besides performance issues, the mission structure its was bland AF.

Like go there, kill some things, grab 6 light spheres because this door works that way... Mission complete.
Lets say that im concerned that papa EA will take little bioware to the forest.
Oh no... I'm sure the levels will be different in the full game... Or rather I hope so.

Any hints at a good story?

The story seems like it has potential. (But I am of the mind that story is not a big deal for a game like this.)

I thought the gameplay outside of the mouse issues was pretty good.

The stuff we got to play was like two starter missions and two free roam slices, so too early to write it off as bland imho.

Oh no... I'm sure the levels will be different in the full game... Or rather I hope so.

Any hints at a good story?

There was a closed alpha thread where a number of us posted some impressions.

I am bummed to hear that both X and Pro users are reporting performance issues. Hope that gets ironed out. On PC it ran almost flawlessly and looked great so maybe it’s just a CPU optimization issue on console.

Story wise my thoughts are it seems like there’s something there and it at least “wont suck.” I dunno if it will be great but I don’t think it will be awful

As far as alpha being bland we only got very vanilla, basic experience. Most of game was locked out and the first expedition is just really easy. Also couldn’t do anything with loot/loadouts and the Jav you start with doesn’t seem like the most exciting one for me

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member

That sucks about the PS4 Pro version. My "friend" played the alpha on PC and it was fucking awesome. He ate some crow as the game looked excellent and pretty much spot on to the reveal trailer. He ran it maxed out settings(He has a i7-7700, 16 gig ram and Nvidia Gefore RTX 2080 Founders Edition with a Dell 2k G-Sync monitor). He played it with a wired Xbox PC controller and said it controlled great as well. He'll be getting the game on PC for sure, it's just the "Destiny" type game he's been craving(shoot and loot with story/lore) since he's hit a wall playing Destiny: Forsaken aka tired of the same old, same old. :messenger_winking:

Has anyone here play the alpha on Xbox One X? How was performance?

G-Bus

Banned
Complaining about performance issues when playing the alpha build of a game has got to be some of the most idiotic bullshit I've seen.

dirthead

Banned
Complaining about performance issues when playing the alpha build of a game has got to be some of the most idiotic bullshit I've seen.

I feel that there's a misconception that games will radically change from beta to release even though IT'S NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF OUR PLANET and 9 times out of 10, the betas actually look better because they end up downgrading graphics to get things running acceptably on whatever shitty contemporary consoles they're targeting.

This game is shipping in TWO MONTHS. They're pretty much locked in. This is also EA, the company that has no qualms with launching completely broken garbage. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that performance won't change much from now until launch and could potentially be even worse at launch.

DonF

I've played plenty of alphas and betas with good performance.
Hell, I played the destiny alpha, people complained about it's performance and the freaking alpha was patched. It had frame pacing issues and the devs patched it in a day.

Alphas and betas are literally made for testing/complaining.

I'm actually concerned since the performance of Anthem is a little bit worse than Andromeda's, a game thats no longer supported and that it performs like shit on ps4 pro.

ethomaz

Banned
Another I want to eat into Destiny’s sucess game.

I hope they can do a good execution this time after others failures to match Destiny.

Sygma

I feel that there's a misconception that games will radically change from beta to release even though IT'S NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF OUR PLANET and 9 times out of 10, the betas actually look better because they end up downgrading graphics to get things running acceptably on whatever shitty contemporary consoles they're targeting.

This game is shipping in TWO MONTHS. They're pretty much locked in. This is also EA, the company that has no qualms with launching completely broken garbage. It is perfectly reasonable to assume that performance won't change much from now until launch and could potentially be even worse at launch.

to be fair the only thing not looking too hot are the shadows but everything else is akin to the trailers. its pretty crazy to see that level of graphics in an online game

Last edited:

EDMIX

No thank you. I more interested in these games that also coming in March.
left_alive_art.jpg

cover_rbt3.png

Left Alive just looks like a walking failure lol

I know that game is going to do just really bad. I'm just waiting for it used. Anthem and Sekiro for me.

ruvikx

Banned

It's also Bioware, i.e. a company which rivals Bethesda for "glitch masters of the gaming industry". Anyone who played through the 4 Mass Effect games will have a little bit of experience regarding bizarre bugs & framerate problems across all the games. Dragon Age Inquisition also had serious problems. Their products are rarely polished, so it would be wise to not expect the contrary in Anthem.

Arun1910

2 games I want to be excited for but can't seem too are this and Days Gone.

I dislike how guns sound and I dislike what I saw my friend play when it came to mission design. It was the most uninspired mission design. That said, it was an Alpha.

At least there will be a 10 hour PC trial with Origin Access, should be enough to gauge

Top Bottom