• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Confirms New Need For Speed, Plants Vs Zombies Games; Here's What We Know.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ea-confirms-new-need-for-speed-plants-vs-zombies-g/1100-6464830/

EA reported its third quarter financial results, expressing disappointment at its performance. But in the process of promising to make-good in the coming year, it quasi-announced two more games: a new Plants vs. Zombies, and a new Need for Speed.

"Looking forward, we're delighted to launch Anthem, our new IP, to grow Apex Legends and related Titanfall experiences, to deliver new Plants vs. Zombies and Need for Speed titles, and to add Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order to our sports titles in the fall," said COO and CFO Blake Jorgensen, in the announcement.

In a subsequent earnings call, the company confirmed the new PvZ game is a shooter, and the official game account tweeted that it's coming for PC and consoles. That would seemingly all but confirm it's a new Garden Warfare game.

They have killed the NFS franchise. And I mean they have MASSACRED it.

Holy shit I think I've never seen that. With a friend we had a choice between playing Dusk, a retro game I had seen enough, and the last NFS. Of course I wanted to test it, and usually we have good fun with a game for at least a pair of hours until we call quit or continue if it's great.

We had never seen a game so bland, so boring, so vapid and empty ever before, that we didn't have the -motivation- to continue playing it. We're not talking about bugs, crap graphics or problematic gameplay, we're talking about a game that was so vapid and devoid of anything that even Asphalt 9 on mobile could be considered a 10x better game that this.

This was the first time I saw EA in it's quintessential industrial form.

DonF

Garden Warfare 1 was awesome, I don't know why 2 didn't retain that magic. At one time, me and a group of CoD and Battlefield fanatics were all playing Garden Warfare more than any other game. Still, I would love a more traditional Plants Vs zombies, I don't care if its for mobile, but I loved the original. 2 also felt way too different.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
*sigh* plants vs zombies as a shooter. Why did EA kill Popcap? PvZ was such a charming little game, I absolutely adored it, and tbh some of Popcap's other output too (oh for the innocent days when match-3 meant Bejewelled and not that monstrosity Candy Crush - also Chuzzle was awesome). Surely there's room in the world for more proper PvZ!

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
The last NFS was so bad that I got depressed playing it. It was like a parody of what a generic businessman stock villain thinks the kids like. Or not even "like" but what will generate the most revenue from players. Like L LucidFeuer said, it was worse than free mobile racing games.

But I still play NFS Rivals, that game was really ahead of its time and the open world was great. Please go back to that template EA if you're listening.

thelastword

Banned
EA, at this point just, rest the NFS franchise.........Make it 60fps or get out..........The NFS games don't even have the appeal of Porsche Unleashed and High Stakes anymore....There's nothing appealing about the tracks, neither has the gameplay evolved beyond Hot Pursuit, At least I appreciated NFS RUN, but now the games just seem to be evolving to some bad acting reality tv show....Make NFS 60 on consoles with tracks or just start another racing franchise with some new ideas and let NFS rest......

Shmunter

EA, at this point just, rest the NFS franchise.........Make it 60fps or get out..........The NFS games don't even have the appeal of Porsche Unleashed and High Stakes anymore....There's nothing appealing about the tracks, neither has the gameplay evolved beyond Hot Pursuit, At least I appreciated NFS RUN, but now the games just seem to be evolving to some bad acting reality tv show....Make NFS 60 on consoles with tracks or just start another racing franchise with some new ideas and let NFS rest......

Unless it’s made by Dice, good luck pushing that creaky Frostbite engine to anything approaching stable 60. Having my pessimism disproven would by my delight.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Let the biggest racing franchise of all time with no close second die?
They've already killed it so many times before, that all they need to do now is just finish it for good, cuz again - they simply can't make a really good game anymore cuz they don't have the tallent and balls to make it enjoyable to play right from the first second you launch it like FH4 did. All they care about is to bore you to death and kill interest right from the start by bombarding you with unskipable tutorials like you never fuckin' played a racing game before. Oh, and don't even get me started on microtransactions, stupid and unecessary story with idiotic characters, awful car customization etc.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I love Plants Vs Zombies (the original, before EA took hold) but I hate shooters and microtransactions. Guess I'll be skipping this game, just like the last three. Actually, I guess I'll continue just not playing EA games.

What a waste of a perfectly good franchise.

They've already killed it so many times before, that all they need to do now is just finish it for good, cuz again - they simply can't make a really good game anymore cuz they don't have the tallent and balls to make it enjoyable to play right from the first second you launch it like FH4 did. All they care about is to bore you to death and kill interest right from the start by bombarding you with unskipable tutorials like you never fuckin' played a racing game before. Oh, and don't even get me started on microtransactions, stupid and unecessary story with idiotic characters, awful car customization etc.

The last NFS still sold more LTD than most racing games. Forza Horizon may currently be bigger than NFS but all EA would have to do is put out a decent game even if only for a few months, and the first few months sales would likely be a few million. The franchise is too big to fail.

It not really possible to actually kill off NFS like Skate or Dead Space, it takes too little effort to bring back up decent sales. Payback sold over 1 million in US alone in launch year. over 4 million players on PS4 alone.

I mean yeah NFS without real polish won't sell like 9-15 million again but NFS with little effort can have a 3-5 million sellers immediately.

The last NFS still sold more LTD than most racing games. Forza Horizon may currently be bigger than NFS but all EA would have to do is put out a decent game even if only for a few months, and the first few months sales would likely be a few million. The franchise is too big to fail.

It not really possible to actually kill off NFS like Skate or Dead Space, it takes too little effort to bring back up decent sales. Payback sold over 1 million in US alone in launch year. over 4 million players on PS4 alone.

I mean yeah NFS without real polish won't sell like 9-15 million again but NFS with little effort can have a 3-5 million sellers immediately.

And that's exactly the mediocre, degenerately greedy logic that leads EA to self-destruction.

They should milk the fuck, meaning factory produce completely vapid, ininteresting and meaningless NFS despite it selling less and less, until...what?

They sell 100k copy and call it quit, having killed beyond repair yet another franchise of their portefolio?

I miss the time when even CEOs, directors and executives were rational enough to understand the basis of how to make more money and continue making more money.

Good Evening,

I want to apologize first for derailing the thread. I have been a. Member for a while though infrequent these days, I loved NeoGAF.

I need to now delete my account as I am older and I don’t have the type of job that can have NeoGAF account! NeoGAF has been a wonderful place and I wish you all luck in the future. I would have contacted a Mod directly, but I no longer know who they are.

If I can not delete, please ban me. Only if I can not delete. I VASTLY prefer deletion.

Thank you all and have a wonderful night.

I liked PvZ but the second game was so dreadful that's it really gonna take something for me to even care.

As far as NFS, I don't get the hate for it. I know the FMV crap was eye-rolly, but beyond that, it fills a niche no other racing game does.

I really wished whoever is working on a new NFS would have work on creating a new star wars podracing game instead. I mean criterion could have worked on a new f zero for nintendo back in the day but turned it down.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The last NFS still sold more LTD than most racing games.
Who cares if it was shite like the ones that came after HP2010?

all EA would have to do is put out a decent game
They can't and they wont. That's the problem.

The franchise is too big to fail.
And yet it is epic fail and nobody cares about sales, cuz we as gamers must only care about the game itself, its quality and not about how much these corrupted and greedy motherfuckers (EA, Activision and such) make on us.

Effort (even little) is not about EA, EA only cares about making money for investors and shareholders (for at least 6-8 years and for the most part) and it sure as hell don't care about making good games for us, gamers. I'm still amaized that Mirror's Edge: Catalyst got made, probably took ages for DICE to convince them to greenlight this game.

Last edited:
S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I want PvZ to not be always online bullshit. It is EA's best franchise imo.

Nymphae

Banned
I wish they made a new Burnout instead.

Came in to post this. I don't get why they think the world needs a new NFS game every few years. They must sell? I actually remember thinking this series was stale on PS1, and they're still cramming it down my throat.

Like it's alright, I had some brief fun with a Hot Pursuit game, but the last new Burnout was Paradise, very well received, oh thanks Criterion that's great but can you please just churn out some more of this other tired franchise for us for like a decade?

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Acidizer

Banned
The last NFS wasn't only the worst NFS ever created, but one of the worst racers I've ever experienced.

I would be REALLY surprised if this new game was any better. The last one was nigh-on impossible to crash your car, even if you tried on purpose to crash. This made it all feel completely pointless - like I was controlling a camera in god mode. Utter shite.

I do sincerely hope they get back on track, but gameplay seems to take a back seat in order to make the game accessible. By making them accessible, basically gutting actual physics, all the fun gets drained out and you are left with a shell of a game.

WTF happened to Criterion? Are these seriously (some) the same people?

Hot Pursuit on the PS3 was amazing.

Last edited:

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes

This is what NFS is reduced to? Completely absent from EA Play and a random note that "we're working on it" on the EA answers page?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Is it like Forza Horizon 4 - buy, install, launch - instant enjoyment and a feeling that you're playing the best racing game in years in terms of almost every aspect? If no, fuck off ✋ :messenger_weary:

Need For Speed needs to rip off Forza Horizon and Test Drive Unlimited 1 but do it in Japan.

Stop with the nitro boosting arcade handling bullshit.

Stafford

This is what NFS is reduced to? Completely absent from EA Play and a random note that "we're working on it" on the EA answers page?

Crazy isn't it? Same with PvZ, how are these games not at EA Play? Both should be releasing this year, when, where and how are they going to market this, show it to people? Gamescom?

I don't get why they don't have a normal show anyway, these games along with STAR wars, a few indie games and the usual EA Sports segments would make for a show. Can't say I will be missing the EA Sports shit, but still.

Puskas

I have absolutely no confidence in Ghost Games being able to make a decent NFS game. Three games and they all sucked so far. Reading that UTH article just reaffirmed my belief that it's probably going to be another dumpster fire. I like surprises so I don't mind being proven wrong though.

I can live with the fact that the B2D-physics are here to stay (confirmed) but I'm still trying to figure out how they'll fuck up the 25th anniversary of the franchise. Always-online or GaaS for the sake of iNcReAsEd gAmEr eNgagement? Speed cards and shipments for fUrThEr mOnEtiZaTion?

Top Bottom