• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA, Epic: "The Ipad could be the future of game consoles"

Raide

Depends how you think of it. Ipad + 10 games or PS3 + 10 games?

Hrmmm...as long as the 10 games have an equal worth. Just having 10 copies of Angry Birds is not really cutting it. Also, until Apple start getting ports of the big console games, it will be stuck with all those shitty 99 apps.

orfax

Sure if it was priced right and had the games I want then I'm in, but they are a long way from that now. On both fronts.

aquavelva

More reading between the lines here is needed.

Sure, in that post the quote is suggesting that we will be replacing our Xboxes and Playstation's with an iPad, but surely the larger message is that the Vita/iPad/XboxPortable/WiiU (well, Nintendo are nearly there anyway) will not be a 240v powered, stationary living room item.

Rather, I felt they were suggesting that the WiiU and iPad model is closer to what the next generation will be. A powerful system that can be plugged into the 50"+ monitor/TV for hometime gaming, but readily unplugged and taken away with you and not sacrifice the fidelity of the fun (beyond downsizing the screen).

I can't believe there are people against this? Especially given the Vita/iPad/3DS and WiiU are all well on their way to providing this, and people love these different thing already!
A system more powerful than consoles, that can also ne 100% portable, that will be upgraded in the next year? I'm guessing your part of the $1000 console club.

Zizbuka

Banned
Wouldn't Apple have to open things a little for this to be true? Are they willing to add expansion slots for storage? Too many questions to make a claim like this.

Hrmmm...as long as the 10 games have an equal worth. Just having 10 copies of Angry Birds is not really cutting it. Also, until Apple start getting ports of the big console games, it will be stuck with all those shitty 99 apps.

Equal worth is up to the gamer. You also need to remember it is not your own personal value judgement that matters. It is the market's. There are some great games on the ipad beyond the old casual titles and if you already have one for work or school or whatever, it may very well be 'enough' (no doubt not to the gaf crowd, but there is a big old world out there).

As penny arcade said, what will be more fun, 1 $40 game or 40 $1 game? The answer is both. I would like to have both experiences. But will people make the $40 games? What about the $20 games? Things are actually changing pretty fast if you go back even 5 years and look at the markets.

Reallink

I almost want to see this happen as a big fat fuck you to the console manufacturers and this 7 year hardware cycle.

elfinke

A system more powerful than consoles, that can also ne 100% portable, that will be upgraded in the next year? I'm guessing your part of the $1000 console club.

No not at all, I'm part of all the clubs (if such things exist). I'm not even suggesting that it happen in the next 12 months - in fact I don't even want to hazzard a guess to when it might happen by. But surely Nintendo's current trajectory suggests it is going to happen, no?

It doesn't even mean console cycles become 12 monthly $500 things, for that is too absolute.

Again, just asking for a small stretch of the mind, and read between the lines. The OP's quoted suggestion is in no way a bad thing.

megalowho

It's not a crazy idea.. but even if we're talking about controller based gaming with no lag tv/monitor mirroring and not simply touch games, the iPad's HD size limitations, price point and yearly upgrade cycle seem like major disadvantages when matched up against the current console market. Game Center needs a ton of work before it's a comparable hub as well.

Regardless, I am looking forward to seeing how Apple's gaming ecosystem evolves over the next few years. The hardware leaps are indeed exciting to see.

larvi

As penny arcade said, what will be more fun, 1 $40 game or 40 $1 game? The answer is both. I would like to have both experiences. But will people make the $40 games? What about the $20 games? Things are actually changing pretty fast if you go back even 5 years and look at the markets.

The PC already has both expensive and cheap games and has for as long as I've owned one (almost 25 years).

001.jpg

Raide

Do you buy a new PC every year?

I personally don't, since I am not that bothered about chasing high-end tech but there are people out there that are constantly upgrading their PC as soon as new parts appear.

Based upon how Apple run the iIndustry, are they really going to change to a 5 year model just because Sony/MS/Nintendo do? No, they will stick with what they know makes money and that is getting people to buy the upgraded iPad every single year.

Game-Biz

Frank Gibeau of Electronic Arts agrees that the iPad could replace the traditional console as a gaming hub, saying "When the iPad gets to the processing power that's equal to an Xbox 360 and it connects to a television, that's no big deal to us. We'll put the game through the iPad and have it display through the television."

0395_jhk20.gif

buying a new $600 replacement for my all in one device once a year is not for me. my cheap-yet-powerful quad core PC has been going strong for a few years now and doesn't need to be replaced, and i am continually amazed at how long my PS3 lasts.

annual hardware revisions are just another pitfall for devs to become lazy and not have to innovate to get more out of hardware. besides, with how long it takes some devs to hit their stride the revisions seem like they would stall any real graphical progress for most developers. (at least the ones that don't have their own middleware businesses to worry about)

Blearth

Banned
Good, developers are so smart =) Let's root for a system infested with 0.99 cents games, developers and publishers.

I'd like to see you sell your 59.99 game that took 20 million to develop in a system like that :/

Infested?

Are you implying that $1 video games are somehow a bad thing?

I could see a future where tablets (not specifically iPad) could move into the console space. A dedicated console would be better for games, but is the market for dedicated console with add on media functions to justify the cost a model that can last much longer?

Emitan

Holy shit fuuuuuuuuuck just get the new consoles out because all I hear in this thread is "bitch bitch bitch LOL APPLE NO BUTTONS 99 cent lololoool"

McLovin

This doesn't really explain how one gets around the issue of battery capacity and what you can reasonably deliver on a portable device with those restrictions.

Unless a revolution in battery technology takes place.

Why would that even matter? He's talking about setting it down and connecting wirelessly to the tv and a bt controller like the ds3. The iPad would be plugged in. You could do that now if you wanted to with an iPad 2, the ipad 3 will probably come close to matching current gen graphics and that only took 3 iterations. It would surprise me of the ipad 5 or 6 matched the ps4/720 graphically.

Tobor

I personally don't, since I am not that bothered about chasing high-end tech but there are people out there that are constantly upgrading their PC as soon as new parts appear.

Based upon how Apple run the iIndustry, are they really going to change to a 5 year model just because Sony/MS/Nintendo do? No, they will stick with what they know makes money and that is getting people to buy the upgraded iPad every single year.

And that's the point. Some people sell their iPads every year and upgrade(paying the difference), some don't. All but a few games are designed to run on previous hardware as well as the new. Either way, you won't have to spend $599 a year.

If anything, since most games support the previous two devices so far, it would be like a 3 year rolling cycle, instead of the traditional 5. Not a big deal, IMO.

Black-Box

is it even possible to have a video card powerful enough to play consoles/PC games on high settings into a iPad at that size?

Raide

Infested?

For console developers that pump millions into a development cycle, $1 games on iOS devices is a hard hurdle for them to jump over. How do they convince games to buy into this $40+ game, when all they buy is 99c fart apps and Angry Birds.

It works for Apple and smaller developers but not for everyone.

Derrick01

Banned
Do you buy a new PC every year?

That argument kind of falls apart when you realize most of the notable games PC gets are console ports. Games being made on 6-7 year old standardized hardware and then moved over.

That wouldn't be happening in a hypothetical Apple future.

railGUN

Banned
Muhahaha I fucking love these threads. So much irrational fear. So many bitter tears. Don't worry, if Apple does gaming, they'll do it right.

Derrick01

Banned
Infested?

I've yet to see a game for $1 that interested me. I noticed the GTA 3 port was on sale for that at one point, which would have made me foam at the mouth when it came out 10 years ago.

Usually those games are arcade style and score based. I have no interest in those. It's not like we're talking ME3 for $1 here.

Emitan

If Apple are the future of gaming, then gaming is dead to me.

It's been a good run though.

They're describing a gaming console that's also a tablet. Are you saying it would be horrible if your PS3 could fit in your bag and act as a multipurpose device on the go?

IT'S ALMOST LIKE NO ONE IS READING THE OP

Tobor

That argument kind of falls apart when you realize most of the notable games PC gets are console ports. Games being made on 6-7 year old standardized hardware and then moved over.

That wouldn't be happening in a hypothetical Apple future.

Sure it would. If there are no consoles, and everyone had iPads instead, then Call of Duty or whatever would be made on iPad. The content will find a home, not disappear.

Dicer

Banned
They're describing a gaming console that's also a tablet. Are you saying it would be horrible if your PS3 could fit in your bag and act as a multipurpose device on the go?

IT'S ALMOST LIKE NO ONE IS READING THE OP

If it's apple behind the wheel then I'm out...if it's a general purpose tablet by someone else, then I'm "game"

we still need buttons though either way...

Blearth

Banned
Muhahaha I fucking love these threads. So much irrational fear. So many bitter tears. Don't worry, if Apple does gaming, they'll do it right.

I don't understand the fears either.

Apple enters music industry. Music industry becomes better.

Apple enters phone industry. Phone industry becomes better.

Apple enters gaming industry? OH NOEZ THEY'RE GONNA KILL GAMING!!!!!!!

Raide

Well, they certainly know how to make vast amounts of money buy getting consumers to buy into their whole iLife concept. At least they will make more than Sony and MS.

Emitan

If it's apple behind the wheel then I'm out...if it's a general purpose tablet by someone else, then I'm "game"

we still need buttons though either way...

The OP specifically mentions an iPad plugging into your TV and controlled with a controller...

McLovin

Seriously, people talking about touch controls and battery life. It wasn't even that long of an op and only a few lines were bolded, yet so many just read the title and posted their knee jerk response.
Edit- their probably trolling at this point. No one is that lazy lol

mclem

No they're not. They're describing a tablet that's also a gaming console.

That's an important distinction, because as it stands tablets have *very* different hardware cycles to games consoles - and a significant advantage of gaming consoles as a development target is the nature of their hardware cycle, despite the lamentations here.

mhayze

If Apple actually releases an iPad that is more powerful than an Xbox 360 before the next Xbox releases, that would be an interesting scenario in terms of how it directly completes with the bigger home consoles.

However, until they officially start selling wireless controllers (or better yet, bundling one in with every iPad), while keep the price the same or dropping it, gamepad/console style gaming is never going to be the mainstream way of playing iPad games. 95% of iPad owners will only ever play Cut the Rope / Angry Birds style games - touch controlled, on the iPad and bought cheaply. I say this as an owner of 2 iPads (and purchaser of even more for family members) and as a dedicated gamer.

So without this major change from Apple, any theoretical "triple A" iPad games that need dual analog controls would end up competing for a very narrow slice of the entire iPad market (not to mention the smaller percentage of owners who have the very latest iPad that is now more powerful than an X360). And sure, Jobs is dead, but Apple is not looking to make risky bets on the console gaming market - I don't think Apple's stance on gaming will change overnight. They are just looking for a way to sell iPads with casual gaming, rather than betting big on a dedicated / "hardcore" gaming market.

In the short term, I just see a continuation of current trends - some interesting games from large developers testing the waters in the iPad space, a few blatant B-grade ripoffs of much better games (*koff*gameloft*koff*), plenty of interesting indy / "casual+" games in the vein of Game Developer Story or Superbrothers and a few nice recent console ports (like Ghost Trick) or emulated / ported older console games. It's an interesting platform, but I can't see it taking on the home consoles in iPad form unless there's a sea change at Apple.

It seems much more likely that Apple decides that the Apple TV is really failing to do anything major in that space and decides to turn it into a console by bundling a controller (really, that's all they would need to do, along with a spec boost and some marketing) than them deciding that the iPad is now an Xbox 360 competitor.

Top Bottom