• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Exec: Sexism isn't keeping women out of the industry

Rubius

Are you saying that your experience trumps mine? Okay then.

I say that generalization is never good. I never saw it happen. Does it happen? Maybe? Elitist are everywhere and have special taste. It also goes the other way around, with groups of female rejecting males access.
But as for gamers, I never saw somebody being angry because a female was there. A girlfriend of a friend? Sometimes, yeah because she didnt want to play X game or didnt want him to play video games.
But a girl who want to play games? Never.

You're mother isn't a typical person that plays video games. Hell I've met people in their 70s that play the latest core hits, doesn't mean that there are an equal amount of hardcore gamers in their 70s as there are in their 30s.

Well my mother play 13 hours a day, have beaten many NES games, and like to play games. She's even competitive, where if she see that her boss is near her highscore, she will go and go even higher.

Segregation is not a solution. There is no "true" gamers or false gamers. People play video games. Some people dont want to play LoL and some people dont want to play FPS. Do not mean they are less gamer for that.

Kazerei

Banned
I say that generalization is never good. I never saw it happen. Does it happen? Maybe? Elitist are everywhere and have special taste. It also goes the other way around, with groups of female rejecting males access.
But as for gamers, I never saw somebody being angry because a female was there. A girlfriend of a friend? Sometimes, yeah because she didnt want to play X game or didnt want him to play video games.

It happens alot more online and at conventions/tournaments, where there's a large number of people and sense of anonymity. In a group of only a dozen people or less, nobody's going to act like an asshole.

I mean, I have literally said that, yes, it does happen because it has happened to me (as have other women in this thread), and then you respond with "Maybe it happens?" I believe you when you say that you've never seen it happen, perhaps you could extend me the same courtesy.

This always seems to be how these sorts of conversations go. Some women relate their experiences with sexism, then some guys jump in to proclaim "well, I've never seen it!" as though that negates the women's experiences, or ends the discussion right there. It would be nice if women's experiences could be acknowledged as valid and real in these sorts of threads, instead of being continually shot down by some men because they didn't experience it themselves.

Rubius

It happens alot more online and at conventions/tournaments, where there's a large number of people and sense of anonymity. In a group of only a dozen people or less, nobody's going to act like an asshole.

Well online? Sure, you see that pretty much everyday. Its also the same people who insult you if you are not American (or from his country), insult your race, age, or sexual orientation. I got that and I'm a White hetero male from Canada. But because I have a French Canadian accent, I get sometimes kicked out from games, or insulted.
Haters gonna hate.

Rubius

I mean, I have literally said that, yes, it does happen because it has happened to me (as have other women in this thread), and then you respond with "Maybe it happens?" I believe you when you say that you've never seen it happen, perhaps you could extend me the same courtesy.

This always seems to be how these sorts of conversations go. Some women relate their experiences with sexism, then some guys jump in to proclaim "well, I've never seen it!" as though that negates the women's experiences, or ends the discussion right there. It would be nice if women's experiences could be acknowledged as valid and real in these sorts of threads, instead of being continually shot down by some men because they didn't experience it themselves.

Oh I do not try to negate anything. I just give you my point of view from a Male. I runned D&D sessions with females, went to gaming party with females, and played board games with females. Not once did I witness anything against any girl that was there. I do not doubt one second that they exist. What I mean is that they are not the majority, simply a minority.
Yes it is. The National Science Foundation and U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement both consider it so.

List of STEM fields.
"Physics
Actuarial Science
Chemistry
Mathematics
Statistics
Computer Science
Psychology
Biochemistry
Robotics
Computer Engineering
Electrical Engineering
Electronics
Mechanical Engineering
Industrial Engineering
Information Science
Civil Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Astrophysics
Astronomy
Optics
Nanotechnology
Nuclear Physics
Mathematical Biology
Operations Research
Neurobiology
Biomechanics
Bioinformatics
Acoustical Engineering
Geographic Information Systems
Atmospheric Sciences"

Oh I do not try to negate anything. I just give you my point of view from a Male. I runned D&D sessions with females, went to gaming party with females, and played board games with females. Not once did I witness anything against any girl that was there. I do not doubt one second that they exist. What I mean is that they are not the majority, simply a minority.
Right, well....whether or not they are a majority or a minority, I think there's plenty of evidence out there to suggest that however commonplace these sort of experiences for women are, they do constitute a significant problem, and it may be that you have to look beyond your social circle to see the bigger picture.

Rubius

Right, well....whether or not they are a majority or a minority, I think there's plenty of evidence out there to suggest that however commonplace these sort of experiences for women are, they do constitute a significant problem, and it may be that you have to look beyond your social circle to see the bigger picture.

Even online I would say that I never saw something like that. Hell, in every MMO I went in, there was at least 6-8 female guild member and guys were never frustrated or what ever and had several female guild leader.

If it happen, I'm pretty lucky to never have seen it. Maybe its your social circle that is messed up ?

I'm studying Applied Computer Science right now. There are 120 people in my course overall and only 10 of them are female.
HOWEVER there is another similar course that was exclusively created for women. It's absolutely full every year and hundreds of women from all over Europe apply for it.

So the interest is clearly there. Maybe there is no sexism, but many women absolutely think there is and are immediately scared off.

Rubius

Do we really? I don't see researchers trying to figure out why more men aren't becoming elementary school teachers.

Parents are not at ease with Males having the charge of kids. They see perverts everywhere. Same thing for security guard in facility with child in problems. No Male security guard can check the female dorm. Only female security guard. But the female security guard can check the male dorm.
Sexism due to fear.

Even online I would say that I never saw something like that. Hell, in every MMO I went in, there was at least 6-8 female guild member and guys were never frustrated or what ever and had several female guild leader.

If it happen, I'm pretty lucky to never have seen it. Maybe its your social circle that is messed up ?
The difference here, I think, is that I am not limiting my understanding of the issue to my social circle or myself. I've been an active participant in feminist and female oriented gaming spaces (both online and offline) for about six years now, I actively seek out and read articles and blogs and books devoted to gender and geek issues on a daily basis. I've spent a great deal of my adult life immersing myself in this subject physically, intellectually and emotionally. Hell, I even met my wife through my interest in the intersection between feminism and gaming - and she works in the industry for a well known MMO developer, so I hear from the perspective of women in the industry through her and her co-workers all the time. My opinions on these issues have been formed not just from personal experience, but from years of listening, reading and research.

Which is why I am suggesting, to you and others, that you should probably do a bit more research and reading on the issue yourselves, before making declarative statements based on a limited exposure to the issue.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i feel that its probably in large part to a stigma about "technology" as a whole. women tend to like social science or communications majors a lot more than technology-based subjects -- something like film. women involved in the film industry from a technical standpoint are a lot less common than males, and that's because (I feel, anyway) most of it revolves around technology.

i think its probably personally hard for me to put into words what i'm trying to convey. i think it has more to do with what you are doing when it comes to technology versus any other number of things that women are "more likely" to do or want to do, even though the interest might be there, they are steered away from it because of gender roles or something like that.

Terrell

If we want women in the industry, and there's a problem finding workers with a STEM background, why not start hiring women for all the artistic disciplines?

Lord knows this industry needs better writers.

But also, it's rather interesting to say that sexism isn't a problem. Perhaps the employees aren't basement-dwelling lechers or anything, but when most the executives at any given company pressure dev teams to make content or alter their concepts with appeal to the 18-35 male demo in mind in totality, what appeal is there in that for a woman?
And anyone who's put in the kind of work necessary in the industry isn't gonna be psyched to make a female-targeted or gender-neutral F2P Facebook game. We might like to think that everyone has a chance to be on a team that makes the next Journey or Limbo or whatever, but it doesn't work out that way, and women are smart enough to know that.

davepoobond

But also, it's rather interesting to say that sexism isn't a problem. Perhaps the employees aren't basement-dwelling lechers or anything, but when most the executives at any given company pressure dev teams to make content or alter their concepts with appeal to the 18-35 male demo in mind in totality, what appeal is there in that for a woman?

do women always have to work on projects that appeal to them?

isn't that more of a sexist attitude than what is being observed currently?

we've established that 40% of gamers are women, according to the OP. and they are playing the same games that the 18-35 male demo is playing.

i feel that its probably in large part to a stigma about "technology" as a whole. women tend to like social science or communications majors a lot more than technology-based subjects -- something like film. women involved in the film industry from a technical standpoint are a lot less common than males, and that's because (I feel, anyway) most of it revolves around technology.

i think its probably personally hard for me to put into words what i'm trying to convey. i think it has more to do with what you are doing when it comes to technology versus any other number of things that women are "more likely" to do or want to do, even though the interest might be there, they are steered away from it because of gender roles or something like that.
I get what you are saying. But maybe it's not because they are not interested in it, maybe they are simply afraid of working or studying in a men dominated environment. Which in return is responsible that the game industry is men dominated in the first place.

Rubius

The difference here, I think, is that I am not limiting my understanding of the issue to my social circle or myself. I've been an active participant in feminist and female oriented gaming spaces (both online and offline) for about six years now, I actively seek out and read articles and blogs and books devoted to gender and geek issues on a daily basis. I've spent a great deal of my adult life immersing myself in this subject physically, intellectually and emotionally. Hell, I even met my wife through my interest in the intersection between feminism and gaming - and she works in the industry for a well known MMO developer, so I hear from the perspective of women in the industry through her and her co-workers all the time. My opinions on these issues have been formed not just from personal experience, but from years of listening, reading and research.

Which is why I am suggesting, to you and others, that you should probably do a bit more research and reading on the issue yourselves, before making declarative statements based on a limited exposure to the issue.

The problem I can see with major exposure to anything is that you take too much. Nobody discuss of the good things. Ever. You probably never heard your wife say "Hey this guy at work didnt say anything mean to me.". So I can see why when you hear of all the bad things that you think its all bad. But its not. After working in a hospital, I could assume that everybody is either a crazy person, a angry person or a annoying person. That's because, when I had to see a guy, it was always somebody who fell in those 3 cases. I never had to deal with regular persons outside of giving directions.

Also, I'm pretty much against the concept of Feminism too. Dont like one sided concepts. I'm more a Equalist, Male and Women equal, instead of the Feminist point of view of female on top or the Machist point of view of male on top. I dont think Feminism is a solution to the problem of gender equality, since it does not seek equality, but rather superiority.

Terrell

do women always have to work on projects that appeal to them?

isn't that more of a sexist attitude than what is being observed currently?

we've established that 40% of gamers are women, according to the OP. and they are playing the same games that the 18-35 male demo is playing.

Women are statistically less likely to aim for a career in a job they won't find satisfaction in. If what they see in the games being released now is how they see their future in the industry, it's not sexism, it's a woman being a practical human being and gearing her life towards a more satisfying option.

davepoobond

I get what you are saying. But maybe it's not because they are not interested in it, maybe they are simply afraid of working or studying in a men dominated environment. Which in return is responsible that the game industry is men dominated in the first place.

that might be true, but if there were an unyielding demand for programmers that just the male population couldn't suffice, i would assume that more females would go that route as well.

its probably just that the gaming industry doesnt employ enough people total to get to some sort of tipping point where they "need" more women to work.

Women are statistically less likely to aim for a career in a job they won't find satisfaction in. If what they see in the games being released now is how they see their future in the industry, it's not sexism, it's a woman being a practical human being and gearing her life towards a more satisfying option.

so then for some reason technology as a whole is not satisfying to them... and for what reason?

davepoobond

How exactly did you make that kind of logical leap?

my thoughts on the subject, as quoted above:

and you're saying that they are less likely to get a job that is not satisfying to them. so thats why they flock towards the things they flock towards because it is more satisfying to them than most technology fields

Also, I'm pretty much against the concept of Feminism too. Dont like one sided concepts. I'm more a Equalist, Male and Women equal, instead of the Feminist point of view of female on top or the Machist point of view of male on top. I dont think Feminism is a solution to the problem of gender equality, since it does not seek equality, but rather superiority.

I've explained this to you before so I probably shouldn't even bother again, but: you are wrong about this.

The status quo is unequal in many ways. Thus to correct the problem and establish equality requires giving more weight, in some areas, to one side than the other. You cannot do that by giving equal weight to both sides; that simply perpetuates the status quo.

Platy

I don't understand this thread.

She said the problem is with both men and woman and start listing 3 secrets showing that the problem is on women .... and only one of those secrets are related to why there are few women on the industry.

secret 1 is a about a problematic (cough cough sexist cough cough) marketing view on companies and 2 are about how companies (and she speaking for HER company ...) want to make a diverse team

So the problem in is on men because reason 1 and secret 1 and the problem is on women because ... reason 3 makes it have less women wanting to work on game development ?

You need to actual care about your EMPLOYEES and not care about your NON EMPLOYEES

You should focus on people who WANT to work =P

Also, #1reasonwhy

Terrell

my thoughts on the subject, as quoted above:

I never said any of that, so quoting me and making that statement gives the impression that I stated as such.

The number of women in STEM fields is increasing, though not at the rate people would expect. The problem for the games industry, and my point, is that women by and large are taking those skills and that training they earned and going anywhere else but the video game industry. And it's likely because they see the output of the industry being largely male-oriented and can't find where the satisfaction would be in making that type of entertainment.

Rubius

I've explained this to you before so I probably shouldn't even bother again, but: you are wrong about this.

And I told you before. If you take the word Feminist, its a one sided thing. Same exact thing as Machism, but with Female. If it was called Equalist, it would mean what it want to say.
I cannot support something that mean something else. Too many things went wrong with those type of things.
I fight for Equality, not for womens. Where a Feminist group will never put down a women in superiority because a men is lower than her in a issue. That is the problem. Because its not equal.

The problem I can see with major exposure to anything is that you take too much. Nobody discuss of the good things. Ever. You probably never heard your wife say "Hey this guy at work didnt say anything mean to me.". So I can see why when you hear of all the bad things that you think its all bad. But its not. After working in a hospital, I could assume that everybody is either a crazy person, a angry person or a annoying person. That's because, when I had to see a guy, it was always somebody who fell in those 3 cases. I never had to deal with regular persons outside of giving directions.
Nope, you're wrong, way to make assumptions. She loves her job and co-workers, so I hear great things all the time. Way more than the negative. But okay, it looks like you're going to find a way to dismiss anything I say, so I think I'm done here. "The problem is your social circle." No, here's my other experience. "The problem is you have too much exposure to the issue." Uh, okay. Either I have too little experience or I have too much experience, I don't know, but either way it seems like no matter what I do or say, it's never going to be the "right" kind of experience in your eyes because it's not your own and that's all that you appear to be interested in.

Nope again. You appear to have a very limited view of feminism, I'll say. Feminism, and feminists, are not a monolith. I, for one, am a feminist that sure as hell doesn't want gender superiority. My brother, who is the one who taught me about feminism when I was younger, is another.

EDIT:

Where a Feminist group will never put down a women in superiority because a men is lower than her in a issue. That is the problem. Because its not equal.
Oh, jesus, no. You don't know what you're talking about. Feminists and feminist groups do this all the time. Do you read feminist blogs, authors, books, articles on a regular basis? If not, how would you know what they do or don't do? Believe or don't believe? Because what you just said right there is 100% factually incorrect.

davepoobond

I never said any of that, so quoting me and making that statement gives the impression that I stated as such.

i wasnt saying that you said that. i was drawing a conclusion based off of what you said, and in no way shape or form am i giving you credit for it!

The number of women in STEM fields is increasing, though not at the rate people would expect. The problem for the games industry, and my point, is that women by and large are taking those skills and that training they earned and going anywhere else but the video game industry. And it's likely because they see the output of the industry being largely male-oriented and can't find where the satisfaction would be in making that type of entertainment.

I don't see that as the issue. Women can be entrepreneurs just as much as the next guy and they can make "games for girls" or "games for guys made by girls" if they really wanted to. But why don't they? I guess I'd say that women are adverse towards technology not only in creating it but consuming it as well (insofar as video games go), and probably haven't really defined what they want out of video games yet. Or maybe they did and that's why they're buying games "Made for guys" right now.

And I told you before. If you take the word Feminist, its a one sided thing. Same exact thing as Machism, but with Female. If it was called Equalist, it would mean what it want to say.
I cannot support something that mean something else. Too many things went wrong with those type of things.

How exactly do you propose to establish equality by fighting for both sides equally, if they currently hold unequal power?

Where a Feminist group will never put down a women in superiority because a men is lower than her in a issue. That is the problem. Because its not equal.

So, among other things, I see you didn't pay an iota of attention to what feminists had to say about Sarah Palin when she was running for VP.

laughingkizo

Neo Member
If were talking about the involvement in gaming overall as a hobby then the ratio is very close to men, BUT there are genres of games that swing very heavily to the male demographic( FPS) vs genres the swing more the female demographic (RPG)

Rubius

How exactly do you propose to establish equality by fighting for both sides equally, if they currently hold unequal power?
Well you fight for womens and mens. You fix things on both side. Making the debate one sided wont help the other side to help. If you want equality, you have to add and subtract on both side.
So, among other things, I see you didn't pay an iota of attention to what feminists had to say about Sarah Palin when she was running for VP.

Except that Sarah Palin was a puppet. She didnt have any power at all outside of being a republican barbie doll who said what she needed to say and nothing else. Not really a great women role model, except for the submissive wives.
And what I obviously meant is for stuff like abortion, child, parenting, teaching, divorce. There is a lot of stuff where males are way under womens in term of powers. And feminists wont help mens work on those things. Removing power from womens cannot be done by Feminists because the word feminist is biased.

If your group is called the Chocolate lovers, you wont go and make an ad for Vanilla. I have the same views on Gay groups, Race groups or any one sided group. Equality do not work if you stay in your corner and tell horror stories about the other side. We need to work together not against together.

But lets not go too deep in the subject. Its a gaming board, not a gender issue board.

yurinka

In my studio like the half of the artists are girls, we have/had female designers, a female product manager, a female producer and a office manager. We even had a female programmer.

We're under 70 people, quite good proportion for a game studio. Never had sexism issues here as I remember.

I think that here like in every other place they hire the best candidate for each new job position without considering if male or female. But if the proportion of female candidates is very low or aren't the best candidate I think that isn't a problem of the company.

domlolz

Banned
And what I obviously meant is for stuff like abortion, child, parenting, teaching, divorce. There is a lot of stuff where males are way under womens in term of powers. And feminists wont help mens work on those things. Removing power from womens cannot be done by Feminists because the word feminist is biased.

Haha, do you frequent the subreddit /r/MensRights?

How much feminist literature have you read? You don't seem to have a very good grasp on it.

And feel free to tell me how women have more power in stuff like abortion and divorce and parenting. I'm really interested. Especially stuff like abortion where it's (usually) the womans body, are women to be forced to keep children if a man wants it?

I just don't see why it matters to people. Who cares what the ratio is? Is it a well-run company with attractive products or not? That's really the only thing that anyone ought to be concerned with.

If your group is called the Chocolate lovers, you wont go and make an ad for Vanilla. I have the same views on Gay groups, Race groups or any one sided group. Equality do not work if you stay in your corner and tell horror stories about the other side. We need to work together not against together.
In the country where I live, the USA, men comprise the vast majority of legislators (those who make the law) and the judiciary (those who interpret and enforce the law). As a result, men are largely in control of birth control policy, educational policy, family law, etc. Women do not have a lot of practical or real power on these issues.

As for feminists, just who exactly are you envisioning that they need to work with? Men? You know, feminism isn't exclusive to women - lots of men are feminists and work on feminist issues as well. And gay groups, who do they need to be working with? Straight people? The vast, vast majority of people working to secure LGBT rights and organizing around LGBT issues in my country are straight. I'm not exactly sure what these imagined groups working in isolation and in opposition to the rest of the population you think are, but you don't seem to be very well informed on what actual feminists, activists etc are or do.

But if the proportion of female candidates is very low or aren't the best candidate I think that isn't a problem of the company.
I think that depends. If your company has, say, a reputation for making games that degrade women or throws holiday parties that feature hired topless women, you're sending a message that will turn off a lot of potential female applicants. If a company isn't getting a lot of female applicants for their positions, I think at they very least they do need to consider (to an extent) how their corporate image or recruiting policies might be playing a role in shaping their applicant pool.

EDIT:

I just don't see why it matters to people. Who cares what the ratio is? Is it a well-run company with attractive products or not? That's really the only thing that anyone ought to be concerned with.
From the article:

She said a company cannot be successful if a team "looks and acts and thinks the same." She said embracing a more diverse culture is not simply a "feel-good message," but rather it is a requirement to continue making successful games.

From the first page:

There is so much truth to this. I've only been on all male teams. It can get annoying and feel very single minded. But the people I even have the opportunity to form a team with are 99% male. I would very much appreciate more female programmers.

Mononoke

Banned
I've seen males both act like assholes to female gamers, to dropping everything at the drop of a dime to worship at their feet.

I find both behaviors to be disturbing. But this is about the industry, and I've had no experience in the game industry, so my opinion is invalid. I have had some brief experience in the film industry, and have seen some pretty awful practices.

Rubius

Haha, do you frequent the subreddit /r/MensRights?

How much feminist literature have you read? You don't seem to have a very good grasp on it.

And feel free to tell me how women have more power in stuff like abortion and divorce and parenting. I'm really interested. Especially stuff like abortion where it's (usually) the womans body, are women to be forced to keep children if a man wants it?

I do not go on Reddit or read Feminist books the same way I dont read the Bible or the Quran. I do know feminists want Equality. But the fact is that the word Feminism is biased toward Womens. Would you support a Machism group who want equality for mens? Of course not. I call myself an Equalist, because I want rights for both gender to be equal. I'm not one sided. I will call out stuff like womens in police academy having to work less hard than males to get in or I will call out the fact that a group of male juges should not let a rapist go, because of a old law that make it legal to rape an unmarried women in California. Both side. Not one side.

And really, I dont want to start a discussion on Abortion, Divorce and Parenting injustice rights on Neogaf. Even less on the gaming section.

Well speaking for myself I would like the games I play to be the product of a wide variety of life experiences. Your questiion is akin to asking why it's important that both heterosexuals and homosexuals are adequately represented in any area of life; because different life experiences bring different things to any endeavour.

And men and women aren't identical, even if you only acknowledge that the role that each plays in the creation of life differs. Variety is good, homogenity is bad.

You ever get that feeling a thread is speeding towards a cliff?

Make sure you keep it civil and think before you post now, people. Don't want another graveyard.

Hatten

Honest question here: when they mention half all gamers are women do they mean actual "I use a console/gaming PC" gamers or "I play farmville" types? because thats all I see women playing, dumb wallet-destroying browser minigames.

Back when farmville was the shit all the girls in my college were playing, but not even one of them was a core gamer, I even tried to show other similar but better games to some but all they wanted to play was farmville and thats all.

If those are the women gamers they mean with that 50% you can scratch that out, because calling them gamers is like calling a justin bieber fan an audiophile...

laughingkizo

Neo Member

this deserves its own thread and needs to be further studied. (someone other then me post a thread about this on the front page)

Honest question here: when they mention half all gamers are women do they mean actual "I use a console/gaming PC" gamers or "I play farmville" types? because thats all I see women playing, dumb wallet-destroying browser minigames.

Back when farmville was the shit all the girls in my college were playing, but not even one of them was a core gamer, I even tried to show other similar but better games to some but all they wanted to play was farmville and thats all.

If those are the women gamers they mean with that 50% you can scratch that out, because calling them gamers is like calling a justin bieber fan an audiophile...

I'm playing a Gameloft game on my tablet right now, it's awesome. I also have a penis.

On a more serious note, there are a number of very prominent posters on this very board who are probably more "core" than you and also happen to be women.

Well speaking for myself I would like the games I play to be the product of a wide variety of life experiences. Your questiion is akin to asking why it's important that both heterosexuals and homosexuals are adequately represented in any area of life; because different life experiences bring different things to any endeavour.

And men and women aren't identical, even if you only acknowledge that the role that each plays in the creation of life differs. Variety is good, homogenity is bad.

Nobody cares nor do they want to know how the meat is made. They just want to order the cheeseburger and be handed a delicious cheeseburger. So, "how many women are in senior management at EA" or whatever other silly, pointless question is reserved for the absolute lowest level of discourse.

I don't think we're divided into groups based on our sexual orientations. It's not a necessary distinction as it makes no difference in nearly every aspect of life outside of who we lay in bed with when we come home at night. I don't understand what people mean when they say these groups all need equal representation. Representation for what? And who is going to force everything to be equal? Do we live in a democratic Republic or not?

Rubius

Statistic are a silly thing a lot of the time, and I guess they used stats from MMO, Facebook games and other online account.
Also, I play casual games too. I also play stuff like Super Meat Boy. Right now I play Phoenix wright which is less hardcore than any casual game I know. Do that make me a non gamer?
My mother play through Luxor and Zuma games on the hardest difficulty like its nothing. And I nearly broke my mouse to finish the game at normal. Casual games can be hard. Dont dismiss this. I think the real stat is more like 60%-40% or 75-25 than 50-50. At least it was around 75-25 in Pax East last year. And people who go at Pax are not the casual type.

laughingkizo

Neo Member
While she makes a solid case, her argument that sexism is not a direct cause or at the very least, an influence - combined with other factors of course - is flat out revisionist history. There are barely any games targeted at ladies to begin with and she questions why women would want to start jump a career in game development. Playing them is one thing, developing them is another.

the whole context of what you are implying is sexiest, there is no:
this game is only for woman
this game is only for men

Top Bottom