• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA intends to become the "world leader in racing games"

How come project cars is on that graphic? I thought they were slightly Mad Studios and backed by Konami. Did EA buy them as well?

Codemasters bought both the talent from Evolution Studios and Slightly Mad Studios

Codemasters is really pretty much the only racing games studio out there outside Polyphony Digital and small indies on pc

the games market is becoming highly monopolistic

Sure whatever they say. The real leaders are Sony and Microsoft with their racing sims and Microsoft with the arcade version of Forza, EA hasn’t made a good racing game since NFS Underground 2.

Forza and GT are pretty arcade sims. Codemasters also does arcade racers, but I'd say mostly hard sims

xrnzaaas

Project Cars could become an AAA franchise with EA backing them. They can easily compete with GT and Forza in their off years.

F1 and WRC are great yearly gets for them.

Dirt and Grid could alternate between the NFS titles which are getting stale. The motorstorm team can easily take over the Burnout series.

This has the potential of being a fuck up, but EA isnt really as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Lets not forget that they gave Bioware 7 years to make Anthem, five years to make Andromeda, and gave Respawn 5.5 years to make Star Wars Jedi Order. Yes, the cancelled Amy's game but they gave her three full years and she had nothing to show.

I think their only issue is that they do not delay games beyond a certain point unlike say Sony or Microsoft who will delay games for a year. But I remember EA delaying both Anthem and Andromeda for months and they still came out bad. At that point, the fault lies with the developer for not prioritizing bugs and fixes over new features.

P.S The Battlefront 2 fiasco was also apparently a DICE thing if reports are to be believed. EA never mandated the loot boxes in games like Titanfall and Battlefield 1 just a year before that. If anything, the microtransactions in BF1 were far better than cod at the time.
I'm wondering how much damage was done to Project CARS IP already. Project CARS 2 was buggy as hell on launch, especially on consoles, but Project CARS 3 going all arcade probably hurt the IP even more as it alienated its primary userbase. It would have to be a reboot of some sort with actual good quality and focus on the sim aspect.

Last edited:

martino

ShortBareGibbon-max-1mb.gif

Shubh_C63

What they mean is, we will achieve it not by quality but quantity with Microtransactions.

A street racing game always had the most potential for skins and shit.

Hudo

What they mean is, we will achieve it not by quality but quantity with Microtransactions.

A street racing game always had the most potential for skins and shit.
I am betting you any amount of money that "how do we convince people to buy cars via microtransactions?" is a perpertual hot topic among EA's management staff. That seems like one of the "holy grails" to tackle. But I don't know whether they can pull it off to make it acceptable.

I hope they'll fail.

j0hnnix

Just cause they can crank out hundreds of racers doesn't mean they will be good. Turn10 and Polywantacracker are the best at creating real racer sims.

UnNamed

Banned
Let's see:
Need for Speed is a mediocre series overall, few great games but mostly trash.
Burnout is dead.
Onrush was a flop.
DIRT is good but not a great serie
F1 is not comparable with modern simulations.

Grid and Rally are the only valuable franchises. So no.

Soodanim

Funny that, because recently when I was looking for a driving game to buy I completely ignored any of EA’s modern output. I’m flat out not interested. The last game of theirs I bought was Burnout Paradise.

NFS Underground 2 is abandonware, seems like the obvious choice if you don’t want a sim racer.

Fox Mulder

Codemasters was already very hit or miss on their own. I doubt EA is going to bother going into sims that won’t appeal to YouTube kids and micro transaction retards anyways.

Zero7

Burnout is the most overrated shite of a Racer I've ever played. NFS hasn't been good since NFS4 and Porsche unleashed, NFS 2010 being the only exception. Good luck EA lol

MCplayer

Let's see:
Need for Speed is a mediocre series overall, few great games but mostly trash.
Burnout is dead.
Onrush was a flop.
DIRT is good but not a great serie
F1 is not comparable with modern simulations.

Grid and Rally are the only valuable franchises. So no.
Grid died on the second game, the original is the best, those cinematic replays <3

Hudo

Can they make another Blur, Ridge Racer or Burnout?

Not interested in more racing sims, Forza and GT do that well.
Yeah, I just want a Burnout 4. And not an open-world Burnout like Paradise. I want a proper Burnout in the vein of Burnout 3, one of the best arcade racers ever made.

xiseerht

Somewhere the folks at Polyphony , Turn 10 and Playground games are on a Zoom call with each other having a great laugh about this.

Rayderism

With very few exceptions, the racing genre has sucked this gen anyway......unless you actually like boring sim racers. I don't. For example, EA has been sitting on Road Rash for years.

Aenima

Only racing game i would care from EA would be a NFS Underground 3 or a good Burnout. But scared to think of those games infested with microtransactions.

EA wants a lot of things. They're one of the frontrunning masters of empty promises and stiff corporate PR speak in this industry.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

I don't know why people are mentioning PD. Didn't their last game review mediocre if I have to trust MC?

Aenima

I don't know why people are mentioning PD. Didn't their last game review mediocre if I have to trust MC?
It released barebones without a carreer mode, and much less cars than previous GTs. Game has been receiving updates for free since launch and is one of the best racing games around. Defenitly the best online racing around.

GT6 had 1200 cars (alot of reused cars from PS2 and PSP versions), GT Sport at launch had 168 cars. (all created from scratch). Its has 337 cars now.

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

It released barebones without a carreer mode, and much less cars than previous GTs. Game has been receiving updates for free since launch and is one of the best racing games around. Defenitly the best online racing around.

GT6 had 1200 cars (alot of reused cars from PS2 and PSP versions), GT Sport at launch had 168 cars. (all created from scratch). Its has 337 cars now.

So exactly like Sea of Thieves, understood. Glad the game got better over time.

Fox Mulder

I'm wondering how much damage was done to Project CARS IP already. Project CARS 2 was buggy as hell on launch, especially on consoles, but Project CARS 3 going all arcade probably hurt the IP even more as it alienated its primary userbase. It would have to be a reboot of some sort with actual good quality and focus on the sim aspect.

Seems like all they had to do was copy how MS did it with Forza Horizon. PC3 could have kept the Project Cars branding and established itself as a separate series.

kyussman

Well they have the IP for it,no doubt about that.....but I feel Codemasters have in recent years lost that special something they used to have,and NFS has been hot garbage for a while....sooooo,yea....IP alone is not enough I think....they need to put some serious work in.

Good Luck.....but the world leaders are Polyphony and Turn10.
Add in Nintendo and Sumo Digital when talking kart racers ;).

Sega used to be the king but they haven't made a racing game in ages outside of Sega World Driver's Championship and the Daytona remake...both of which are arcade/FEC-only :/

phil_t98

#SonyToo
they aint gonna beat Forza, Forza Horizon or Gran Turismo. they are the best on their current consoles. they could make other types of racers and top that genre

Burnout Paradise was the last greatest racer and the first of a cancerous trend of open world, sandbox, dlc, games of service BS.

EDMIX

GT and Forza say LOL

I don't disagree, simply that EA might have something else in mind when they say this.

EA will have a Rally game, street racing game, F1 type game etc. They might mean world leader in terms of having every style under 1 roof or something. I think EA likely plans to have one of them be a open world type racer like The Crew or Forza Horizon etc.

So I would say, don't sleep on what EA is doing. What we've seen from their past that they are willing to change things mid generation. I think they will chase that open world thing as that might be one of the only ones they are sorta lacking (I don't know just how open the latest Need For Speed is, but I'm sure its not to the level of The Crew or Horizon).

So I think we all know they won't have the highest rated racer, but its feasible they will have the majority sales in the genre in the market.

EA once said this.

So it tells me you will see years from now games releasing that they were working on based on trends. Look at how late they were to Battle Royal, look at their comments regarding wanting some open world crime type game, its within reason that they also feel that way about The Crew and Forza Horizon. Them buying theses teams might be to try to do that in the future or something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Forza, GT and Mario Karts only come out every so often.

Looks like EA will have maybe 2 racing franchises per year they can churn out on a rotating basis.

Skifi28

GT7 and the next Forza can't come soon enough to save us from this. Well, I wouldn't mind Dirt Rally 3, assuming they do it right.

Top Bottom