• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA kills its Online Pass program

iceatcs

Hmm, look like we will get new kind in nextgen :(
SimCity online DRM every EA games, I hope not. I think I might okay with one-time activation.

AppleMIX

Why is everyone so god damn gloomy? The Sims 4 doesn't have online only DRM and we're done with online passes. Time to celebrate...

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Maybe they did a cost-benefit and realized nobody bought the online passes?

Sounds like it. Would be awesome if they got rid of the pass requirement for games they have already released. People would start asking for refunds though, so that's out of the question.

Anyway, cool, good on EA.

Grecco

Ackbar_HS_zps34d1af29.jpg

yep online only future sucas!

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think Activision ever used online passes did they ? I know Ubisoft did/do but I can't recall anything that Activision used them in, maybe only those extra missions in Prototype 2.

Alec

They specifically state that it was because the players didn't respond well to the system...we are responding even more negatively x10 to Always-Online \ No Trade-Ins.

It wouldn't make sense for them to replace it with something worse, but I just can't imagine how they are going to be sticking to the good-old days of cartirdges and PS1 discs.

Somehow I imagine they've got something worse planned for next gen. Also I'm sure the only reason they stopped is if they decided it wasn't profitable enough in the long run.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Why is everyone so god damn gloomy? The Sims 4 doesn't have online only DRM and we're done with online passes. Time to celebrate...

Sims 4 is going to have a shitton of microtransactions.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
They specifically state that it was because the players didn't respond well to the system...we are responding even more negatively x10 to Always-Online \ No Trade-Ins.

It wouldn't make sense for them to replace it with something worse, but I just can't imagine how they are going to be sticking to the good-old days of cartirdges and PS1 discs.

I've been saying there's more money in a larger base that buys DLC than a spare $10 here or there with a small base. They must have figured it out.

Fraeon

It only doesn't make sense if you believe the official statement word for word. Whatever they're doing, someone's calculating that it's going to have a short-term effect on the bottom line.

MrBS

Putting on my cynic hat methinks this is down to the success of the 'f2p' model of unlocks in Mass Effect 3 and material BS of Dead Space 3.

No online pass means bigger audience for microtransactions. So I say expect a lot more of that.

p3tran

Banned
..so where's the rest of the article?
unless ea decided that next year they want a nomination for the best company...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I have never unterstood why people hate Origin so much. Has worked percetly fine for me. I thought more competition is a good thing?

The gist of it is digital distribution is all about trust. EA doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Dipswitch

And now we wait for the other shoe to drop. They started project $10 for a reason. And that problem still exists.

So I'm inclined to think something else is coming to replace it. And it's likely worse.

McLovin

Smart move EA, they had the right idea with continually supporting titles with good dlc (like with BF3) to keep people from trading in. That online pass stuff was more of an annoyance then anything else. Plus people that buy the game used are potential dlc customers. Further more, people play what their friends are playing. If someone sees their friend playing a used copy of the game, they might want to join them and purchase a new copy.
Woah what? WHAT? HURRAY! :D

Now I can rent BF4 ^_^
You can do that, but I honestly don't understand why anyone would rent a game like BF4 or COD. Save your money and buy it. Unless you only play the single player, Battlefield will give you moneys worth.

My guess is EA has campaigned for, and won, an even bigger chunk of Xbox Live gold subscriptions going forward. Perhaps partially in exchange for cutting this kind of nonsense.

Maybe the new boss isn't the same as the old boss.

We still don't know who their new boss will be.

This seems good at face value. But there has to be a catch. More microtransactions, always online required anyway... I'd like to think this is simply good news at face value, but this is EA we're talking about.

Top Bottom