• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports Engineer: Wii U is crap, < powerful than 360. No $ 3party. [Tweets Deleted]

It's more along the lines of Nintendo not creating competitive hardware and services that suit the business needs of third parties. To assume these companies have petty vendettas against Nintendo when they themselves are struggling to survive is silly. It's about making money and remaining viable. It's not about settling a score.

Its almost like the big publisher AAA model is somehow broken, but the big AAA publishers refuse to change or adapt their strategies to succeed, and instead just throw excuses and blame at everyone and everything except their own decisions.

you know, like telling investors medal of honour was awesome and it was only stupid critics and idiot consumers that didn't realise that that meant it failed.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Did you buy a Wii U so that you could get angry? I don't remember positivity from you in the threads pre-launch.

I've bought every single Nintendo console since SNES. I was hoping that WiiU would be different. Nintendo promised us it would be different.

SNES and N64 have been my most favourite consoles. I'd hope that WiiU would be the same.

Meelow

Banned
I'm almost inclined to agree with him about Nintendo going third party at this point. At least in terms of home consoles.

Continue to offer handhelds, as there is still money to be made there, but the U has already shown they're gonna have some problems making money on home consoles going forward.

Microsoft or Sony would offer them an absolute sweetheart deal to have a Mario or Zelda game, and it would be a nice boost for either console.

No.

If Nintendo stopped making home consoles they already said they would quit the gaming industry, and if they didn't they would 100% focus on 3DS.

I'm tired of all this "Nintendo should go third party"

entremet

https://twitter.com/BobSummerwill

This guy is apparently a Senior Software Engineer and Architect at Electronic Arts. Even more at the link.

ngjiCSq.png

X9LtDTh.png

Here are some more:

So you just searched for people critical of the Wii U who happen to be in the industry lol.

SmokyDave

The saddest part of the modern games industry is how many people think that graphical capabilities == system quality. God forbid a company try something new instead of pumping out a third identical CoD machine. It's like everyone wants complete and utter parity amongst everything.
People expect parity?!

My god. When will they learn to settle for less, eh?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
He confirmed the all the specifications you need, any more questions? Now you know the truth behind all this, embrace.
tumblr_mf10j874eu1rdw96to1_400.gif

Someone else is speaking out, and doth not want to have the WiiU's hand in marriage with the gaming industry.

How 5 month old console can be this doomed people???... so early people.. so fucking early to judge this console... Damn people please understand Iwata.

JABEE

I'm really looking forward to these next few weeks. From the Xbox announcement to E3. It's going to be fun around here. Wonder what Nintendo will show over the next few weeks.

Into

Well people were complaining in previous EA/Nintendo threads that EA was being too "PR" with the entire "we would love to explore maybe future titles on the Wii U" etc and should just come out and be blunt about it.

You got what you wanted, tough not official EA response it is more than likely the company line.

Been somewhat of a harsh day for Nintendo, but the industry and especially media will soon lose interest come E3 and focus will be on PS4 and 720, for better or worse.

Regardless to it being less powerful than 360, i do not know, but who am i to question someone who is apparently the "Senior Software Engineer and Architect at Electronic Arts". Doubt anyone here really is, maybe a few who actually are developers and could shed some light.

Kurdel

Banned
The saddest part of the modern games industry is how many people think that graphical capabilities == system quality. God forbid a company try something new instead of pumping out a third identical CoD machine. It's like everyone wants complete and utter parity amongst everything.

It's the same concept they have been attempting to push since GBA connectvity and they were proud to have CoD on the Wii U when it launched.

Schnozberry

Its almost like the big publisher AAA model is somehow broken, but the big AAA publishers refuse to change or adapt their strategies to succeed, and instead just throw excuses and blame at everyone and everything except their own decisions.

you know, like telling investors medal of honour was awesome and it was only stupid critics and idiot consumers that didn't realise that that meant it failed.

It's actually both things. Nintendo botched the Wii U Launch and software lineup, and the AAA model is broken. One of those things is easier to fix than the other.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't see why this guy should be punished for making a comment on his personal Twitter account. I wouldn't have even known he worked for EA.

Draconian

Continue to offer handhelds, as there is still money to be made there, but the U has already shown they're gonna have some problems making money on home consoles going forward.

I guess Sony should've gone third party after many years of virtually bleeding money on the PS3 then, right?

onipex

Harsh and dumb.

The Wii U isn't worse techwise than a 360 and this manbaby should ask Ubisoft how much money they made on the Wii.

It's like 3rd party developers that failed on the Wii are bitter because Nintendo was making truckloads of money.

I think that is kind of true. This guy must not know that for a while Tiger Woods was selling best on the Wii and EA Sports Active also sold well.

Delio

No.

If Nintendo stopped making home consoles they already said they would quit the gaming industry, and if they didn't they would 100% focus on 3DS.

I'm tired of all this "Nintendo should go third party"

I think it's just more likely they would go totally 3DS/Handheld only if it ever came to that point. I'd miss the console stuff but there you go.

You don't. Their current circumstances are due to their own lack of vision in their hardware design. They designed a machine for Japan instead of designing one that would be appealing to audiences world wide.

Why do people keep peddling this myth that a "powerful" Nintendo console wouldn't be doomed to 3rd place? The last time they tried that strategy they had to pay EA to make games for the platform, & that clearly isn't an option.

onQ123

I'll just repost what I said in the Battlefield 4 skipping Wii U thread.

"If ever there was a good time to use the term getting Dreamcasted I think the Wii U is it.

I also wonder if it also have a lot to do with 3rd party companies not liking the competition from 1st party games."

I'm pretty sure they were told, and their decision was to change their board and give Iwata more responsibilities so I'm not sure where you were going with this...

I don't recall talking to you. Someone implied that EA and other 3rd parties are failing left and right and Nintendo is raking in the dough. I implied that is false....and it is.

VariantX

Parity is needed at this point due to the cost of developing games. The differences need to be in the services provided by the console manufacturer like xbl, psn, or nin.

NotLiquid

Can't say I understand the sentiment about this "honesty" being a good thing. Burning bridges is never a good thing, especially when you work for a company that will go wherever the money is at. While Wii U is not that right now, as a company you should always be ready for a shift if the needs call for it.

This industry arrogance isn't refreshing, we see it all the time. If you ask me, I'd say it's getting frustrating.

Sandfox

I've bought every single Nintendo console since SNES. I was hoping that WiiU would be different. Nintendo promised us it would be different.

SNES and N64 have been my most favourite consoles. I'd hope that WiiU would be the same.

The Wii U will probably get better support than the N64(excluding sports titles obviously) lol.

Duster

Amongst who? Nintendo fans they no longer support? It's not a big deal given the situation.

It may not seem it around there parts but is theoretically possible to be a fan of Nintendo and EA.There must people that play EA games on a Sony/Microsoft console while owning a WiiU.
There's no need to annoy those customers.

It may not be the biggest issue but I bet EA's PR department aren't happy at having to clear up yet another mess.

Which Wii U strategy should EA be adapting to? They're not blaming everyone else. They're not even blaming Nintendo. They're just letting people know why they're not currently interested in that platform. As are many other third parties. Nintendo doesn't have the clout, the expertise, or the resources to encourage third parties to adapt to their strategies.

Foffy

Banned

Everything in one device, because anything else is bronze age technology! I do agree the concept is pretty dull, but the Wii U does indeed have some baffling design choices.

Reminds me, Chris Hecker was actually at EA's Maxis when he made the classic duct tape comments.

he compared the Wii to an anorexic and malnourished man. At the end Hecker had two demands of Nintendo: "Recognize and push games as a serious art form" and "Make a console that doesn't suck ass!"

It's almost like a time warp of 6 years.

Serious art form? From someone at EA? That's the joke here, right..?

krae_man

I don't see why this guy should be punished for making a comment on his personal Twitter account. I wouldn't have even known he worked for EA.

Well his twitter profile says he does.

But seriously hopefully all the video game websites/blogs will decide enough is enough with these "random guy said X on twitter" news stories and not run it. Oh who am I kidding, of course they are going to run with it.

Top Bottom