• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA Sports teaser on NCAA Football Facebook (for nothing)

What the fuck are regular students trying to win? Nothing. They are there to go to school.

Players get paid, Alabama, Texas, Michigan and Ohio State would never lose another game. Why? Because they will just pay more than the other schools without batting an eye. Do you not see a problem here?

It already happens. Players like Nkemdiche for Ole Miss and many others obviously took a lot of money to go to that school. That money came from big donors that aren't officially part of the school. Now imagine this on a big scale. It would absolutely ruin college sports. People would flat out stop watching because there would be no point.

Now if you want to talk about a flat rate, like a $5,000 a year allowance, that is another conversation. I wouldn't like that because it goes from being amateur to job, but it would be a hell of a lot better than not having restrictions on who can give them money. It would turn into a minor league NFL which would suck ass.

So you are saying they shouldn't be treated like other students then? It makes this part of your post a bit wonky:

Again, this argument has always fascinated me. Not only should they get a free education, free food, free housing, and all of the other benefits, they should get paid as well while other students shouldn't. That is what you are saying.

So in short: they are just students, except when they would be allowed to make money just like other students are allowed to make money. Then they are no longer just students. Got it.

What the fuck are regular students trying to win? Nothing. They are there to go to school.

Players get paid, Alabama, Texas, Michigan and Ohio State would never lose another game. Why? Because they will just pay more than the other schools without batting an eye. Do you not see a problem here?

It already happens. Players like Nkemdiche for Ole Miss and many others obviously took a lot of money to go to that school. That money came from big donors that aren't officially part of the school. Now imagine this on a big scale. It would absolutely ruin college sports. People would flat out stop watching because there would be no point.

Now if you want to talk about a flat rate, like a $5,000 a year allowance, that is another conversation. I wouldn't like that because it goes from being amateur to job, but it would be a hell of a lot better than not having restrictions on who can give them money. It would turn into a minor league NFL which would suck ass.

Just so we're clear then, you'd be OK with these scenarios:

College student is able to get job on the side paying 100k (just an example, could be any pay), but college says he can't have a job while in school that pays more than tuition and room/board.

Or, a more realistic scenario (not quite the same, but happens all of the time):
Student has high-paying job, and wants to go back to school to get more education/another degree. That student is required to reduce his pay to cost of tuition and room/board.

If you want to make it about only money the University makes, the grad school argument is a great one. They bring in tons of money for the University and should be payed much better, as well. That is also wrong, and is very analogous to what the NCAA does.

But say a student is able to get a job in a lab as a technician, which would normally pay someone 50k - but since they're a student, they can only get paid tuition costs and room/board.

I could keep going here...you're OK with these? If not, then you should understand the NCAA/player athlete issue. Like I said, I understand the amount of work that goes into being a student/athlete, since they both require an immense amount of time. I wasn't in a sport that was making millions of dollars for the University, and if I was I would be pretty pissed, too.

You sound like you want the amateur spirit while not realizing that college sports (Basketball and American Football) are anything but amateur.

If you want a trully amateur league then your players shouldn't train at all and the team be formed by actual students and not "student athletes" like most amateur tournaments actually are. I play football 3 times per week with my friends, 2 for fun and 1 in a local tournament every saturday, the team is mostly of people that do other things than football in their life, no one trains 4-6-8hs every day nor their practice football in any way shape or form until we play. That is true amateurism. Having deals for TV sponsorship, merchandising, videogame adaptations, millionaire couches, etc etc is anything but amateur.

You sound like you want the amateur spirit while not realizing that college sports (Basketball and American Football) are anything but amateur.

If you want a trully amateur league then your players shouldn't train at all and the team be formed by actual students and not "student athletes" like most amateur tournaments actually are. I play football 3 times per week with my friends, 2 for fun and 1 in a local tournament every saturday, the team is mostly of people that do other things than football in their life, no one trains 4-6-8hs every day nor their practice football in any way shape or form until we play. That is true amateurism. Having deals for TV sponsorship, merchandising, videogame adaptations, millionaire couches, etc etc is anything but amateur.

OK, so do you take away their scholarship and pay them like its a job instead? What is your solution that will keep the integrity of the game, make it to where the players that care about their education still get it, and the players that are just there to fuck off get paid.

I never said play another sport. That wouldn't make sense. Players in other sports don't get paid either in college. I did say they could go play in Canada as pros if they want to get paid. They could go overseas and get paid as a pro. College isnt pro, its college.

Does the CFL not have minimum age restrictions like the NFL? If so, not an option.

College football is pretty much the only root to getting paid to play (de facto minor league). It's not like baseball or hockey where there are extensive options to go pro at 18 in a minor league.

Even basketball doesn't have the issue since kids can go right to the NBA (or another minor league).

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Even basketball doesn't have the issue since kids can go right to the NBA (or another minor league).

You can't go to the NBA from HS anymore, there is even talks about increasing the number of years you need to be out of HS before you can enter the draft. Of course with basketball you do have the viable choice to head to Europe/China.

You can't go to the NBA from HS anymore, there is even talks about increasing the number of years you need to be out of HS before you can enter the draft.

Why? If you're a legal adult and are good enough I don't get why you shouldn't be allowed to play. If it's a safety issue, I don't see why that couldn't be handled by the teams on a case-by-case basis. It's not like there's an epidemic of young players getting in to the NBA at 18... So I don't get that change.

Why? If you're a legal adult and are good enough I don't get why you shouldn't be allowed to play. If it's a safety issue, I don't see why that couldn't be handled by the teams on a case-by-case basis. It's not like there's an epidemic of young players getting in to the NBA at 18... So I don't get that change.

There were more and more high school players entering the draft. Many didn't get drafted, many got drafted early and busted because they just weren't good. It watered down the league with a bunch of high draft picks not working out because teams took risks. To restore the league, they made it mandatory to go to one year of college. That has helped, but there are still a lot of bad players going to the draft that think they are good enough, but are not. So they are thinking about making it 2 years.

OK, so do you take away their scholarship and pay them like its a job instead? What is your solution that will keep the integrity of the game, make it to where the players that care about their education still get it, and the players that are just there to fuck off get paid.

To have a true amateur spirit the entire monster that is the NCAA should be slayed. Couches shouldn't earn millions, there shouldn't be tv deals and sponsorship out the ass, etc etc, there should be a more strict requirements to how an student can qualify to be part of an sport team (to avoid paper classes and bullshit like that) and the quality of the education some of the athletes get should also be controlled more tightly (watching the business of amateur really scare me of what type of education some of this kids are getting, swahili lessons, really?).

But nothing of that will ever happen, then people have to settle for the minor evil that is giving players money to play besides "an education" that is really hard to actually quantify or qualify.

jmizzal

I don't care if they choose to just license the universities without the real player likenesses. It's all about the dynasty mode for me anyway.

This just get me randomly generic players and numbers for each team, but have the real teams and gives us the ability to edit names and numbers and im in.

There were more and more high school players entering the draft. Many didn't get drafted, many got drafted early and busted because they just weren't good. It watered down the league with a bunch of high draft picks not working out because teams took risks. To restore the league, they made it mandatory to go to one year of college. That has helped, but there are still a lot of bad players going to the draft that think they are good enough, but are not. So they are thinking about making it 2 years.

High School players watering down the league is revisionist. There were more 4 year college seniors that were complete busts than high school players. The rule was put in place solely as a way for the NBA to scratch the NCAA's back, and in return get a year or two of free, unpaid player development. It has no bearing on the quality of the game.

High School players watering down the league is revisionist. There were more 4 year college seniors that were complete busts than high school players. The rule was put in place solely as a way for the NBA to scratch the NCAA's back, and in return get a year or two of free, unpaid player development. It has no bearing on the quality of the game.

This, in my opinion, will only feed the problem for the NCAA since college basketball is also a huge moneymaker.

At least basketball have other leagues that an 18 year old can seek out - but when you basically make college the de factor minor leagues, and want to argue that it's still "amateur"...you're just asking for trouble (which they're now getting).

The argument that 18 year olds were watering down the league seems a bit much...it makes no sense. You'd think if a team is failing because they're picking up too many young guys that they'd learn not to do it in the future...I don't see why an age-restriction would need to be put in place. You could pick up a senior out of college who was also a dud - what does age have to do with it?

Gurrry

i wish this wasnt a stupid gag for the nc tonight..

i need a new ncaa, or atleast backwards compatible for xb1.

it just aint right.

If you think the NBA cares at all about the NCAA, you are wrong. The NBA wants money. They want LeBron's, Kobe's and Garnett's but they were getting Sebastion Telfair instead. Every once in awhile there is a player that could make the jump to the NBA and make an impact like the 3 players I mentioned. Its rare, though. If a player that stayed for 4 years of college is drafted and busts, at least there was 4 years of college film on him to get a good idea of what you were getting. With high school players there isn't much to go on because of the level of competition.

Some college basketball fans would even argue that the 1 and done rule actually hurts college basketball because it brings situations like Kentucky where they have 5 all americans in a recruiting class and they all leave after one year. Rinse and repeat. If those players could have gone to the NBA or had to stay for two years, it would make teams in college more of a team instead of a rest stop for the players.

Personally, I either want it made to where they can go straight to the NBA or a 2 year stay rule.

If you think the NBA cares at all about the NCAA, you are wrong. The NBA wants money. They want LeBron's, Kobe's and Garnett's but they were getting Sebastion Telfair instead. Every once in awhile there is a player that could make the jump to the NBA and make an impact like the 3 players I mentioned. Its rare, though. If a player that stayed for 4 years of college is drafted and busts, at least there was 4 years of college film on him to get a good idea of what you were getting. With high school players there isn't much to go on because of the level of competition.

Some college basketball fans would even argue that the 1 and done rule actually hurts college basketball because it brings situations like Kentucky where they have 5 all americans in a recruiting class and they all leave after one year. Rinse and repeat. If those players could have gone to the NBA or had to stay for two years, it would make teams in college more of a team instead of a rest stop for the players.

Personally, I either want it made to where they can go straight to the NBA or a 2 year stay rule.

Why not just let the teams take a risk? Get a dud - great, now you have to deal with it. AFter enough of those, teams will know not to take risks. Seems that this problem would just work itself out. Just like it does when any team picks up a bad player that doesn't work out.

I'm not sure why a "mandatory 2 year rule" would need to be implemented.

Justified

The post was about tonights Championship game....as in we will get a teaser during a commercial spot?!?!

Lol yea I know, wishing thinking

Z_Y

:)

You guys.

Get a 360. I got one for $100. You can get NCAA Football 14 for $45 at Gamestop.

NCAA is $45 used? damn. I bought it on sale for $7 digitally a month ago, I can't imagine it is more than $20 normally.

edit: $19.99 on the marketplace. Don't go buying from price gougers, people.

edit2: GS wants $49.99 for a used copy? Haha.

NCAA is $45 used? damn. I bought it on sale for $7 digitally a month ago, I can't imagine it is more than $20 normally.

edit: $19.99 on the marketplace. Don't go buying from price gougers, people.

edit2: GS wants $49.99 for a used copy? Haha.

Yeah and $29.99 used for the PS3 version.

dubc35

The post was about tonights Championship game....as in we will get a teaser during a commercial spot?!?!

Lol yea I know, wishing thinking

Odd how they made three official announcements about it, after the odd EKG video.

Maybe they're going to announce exclusive rights to the term "national championship" or something EA like that.

Papytendo

I literally don't even comprehend who thought this was a good idea.

EDIT: The only thing I can think was there is a disgruntled EA employee who did this.

Z_Y

:)

You guys.

Get a 360. I got one for $100. You can get NCAA Football 14 for $45 at Gamestop.

Bumping this to let any interested parties know that NCAA14 is on sale on both console marketplaces this week.

$5 - PSN

$7 ($5 Gold) - XBL

If I can save one person from paying an exorbitant Gamestop price for a stank used copy in a generic box, then my work here is done.

Top Bottom